Official 2019-2020 Infectious Diseases Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have 19 invites and I'm still confused about how many I'm gonna actually go to.

Agreed. It's getting really tough.

I seem to like the idea of setting the max at 10 and maybe allowing a couple extra if they happen to be nearby and convenient.

If you have that many interviews, you should be a pretty strong candidate, and in the past ranking 3+ programs has usually lead to an about 95+% match rate, although I'm sure that is personalized based on applicant and the caliber of programs they're ranking.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well... we need to stop “being confused” and cancel IVs ASAP so other people can get a chance.

Just saying...
Cdifficile, I hear you. I worked my life for this. I'm an IMG and I'm already at a disadvantage. I'm not taking it lightly :)

Well... we need to stop “being confused” and cancel IVs ASAP so other people can get a chance.

Just saying...
Just because they are confused doesn’t mean that programs will necessarily will send out more invites

Most programs send out 10 invitations for every spot...1-2 less is not going to hurt them em

Members don't see this ad :)
18 apps, 14 invites thus far.

Cancelled two and trying to pick another two. Ten interviews is also my limit. Luckily, I have three in my immediate area.

Did anyone ever hear from University of Michigan? Just curious

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else supposed to interview at Temple tomorrow and haven’t gotten any details about where to go, etc.? I emailed and called within the last 24 hours and can’t get in touch with anyone?

Anyone else supposed to interview at Temple tomorrow and haven’t gotten any details about where to go, etc.? I emailed and called within the last 24 hours and can’t get in touch with anyone?

I’m in the same boat. Will let you know if I figure it out

Interviews:
7/15: Beaumont, UVA
7/16: Northwestern, UMass, Stanford, Tufts, Rutgers, Tulane, U Illinois Chicago
7/18: Henry Ford, U Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, U Colorado, Penn State
7/19: Vanderbilt, UIC (2), SUNY Downstate, USC (South Carolina), UNM
7/20: NIH
7/22: UT Houston, Einstein Montefiore, Yale, East Carolina U, Stanford (2), Beaumont, Spectrum, U Rochester
7/23: U Chicago, Zucker, Yale, DMC, UTMB, UPMC
7/24: MGH/BWH, U Chicago (2), Medical College of Georgia, St Louis U, Rush Univ, U South Florida
7/25: U Utah, Baylor, Temple, Mount Sinai, UWashington, Duke, UNC
7/26: Georgetown/Wash Hosp Cntr, Emory, Ascension St. John, UPMC (2), UCSF, Jackson Memorial (U Miami), Wake Forest, Tulane (2)
7/28: UCSD
7/29 : LSU-New Orleans, MUSC, LAC-USC, Indiana U, GW, Arizona, DMC (2), UCLA
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai
7/31: NYU
8/1: NYU (2), UPenn
8/2: Beth Israel Deaconess, MSK (2), WashU
8/5: Brown, Georgetown U, Mayo Rochester (2), OHSU
8/6: Case Western
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia, Dartmouth, UC Irvine
8/8: NYPH/Cornell, NYPH/Columbia
8/9: NYPH/Columbia, UT Southwestern
8/12: Vanderbilt (2)
8/16: OHSU (2)
8/23: UTSA

Rejections:
7/26: UCSD
8/6: MGH/BWH
8/14: Hopkins

No updates, consolidating thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews:
7/15: Beaumont, UVA
7/16: Northwestern, UMass, Stanford, Tufts, Rutgers, Tulane, U Illinois Chicago
7/18: Henry Ford, U Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, U Colorado, Penn State
7/19: Vanderbilt, UIC (2), SUNY Downstate, USC (South Carolina), UNM
7/20: NIH
7/22: UT Houston, Einstein Montefiore, Yale, East Carolina U, Stanford (2), Beaumont, Spectrum, U Rochester
7/23: U Chicago, Zucker, Yale, DMC, UTMB, UPMC
7/24: MGH/BWH, U Chicago (2), Medical College of Georgia, St Louis U, Rush Univ, U South Florida
7/25: U Utah, Baylor, Temple, Mount Sinai, UWashington, Duke, UNC
7/26: Georgetown/Wash Hosp Cntr, Emory, Ascension St. John, UPMC (2), UCSF, Jackson Memorial (U Miami), Wake Forest, Tulane (2)
7/28: UCSD
7/29 : LSU-New Orleans, MUSC, LAC-USC, Indiana U, GW, Arizona, DMC (2), UCLA
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai
7/31: NYU
8/1: NYU (2), UPenn
8/2: Beth Israel Deaconess, MSK (2), WashU
8/5: Brown, Georgetown U, Mayo Rochester (2), OHSU
8/6: Case Western
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia, Dartmouth, UC Irvine
8/8: NYPH/Cornell, NYPH/Columbia
8/9: NYPH/Columbia, UT Southwestern
8/12: Vanderbilt (2)
8/16: OHSU (2)
8/23: UTSA
9/4: NYPH/Cornell (2)

Rejections:
7/26: UCSD
8/6: MGH/BWH
8/14: Hopkins

Do you guys know how many interviews do big programs offer?

Do you guys know how many interviews do big programs offer?

FRIEDA gives info on how many applicants each program historically invites.
It varies by program, but I've seen ~5-12 applicants/spot

Last edited:
No emails in the last 10 days. Is this when invites slow to a trickle?
I had two interviews.
One of them is Rutgers New Brunswick Uni Infectious Disease fellowship on Sep 23rd.
Another one is nephrology in the Temple Uni Philly, on Oct 2nd.

What have you guys been experiencing so far in terms of types of questions asked during interviews? Has there been anything out of the ordinary? Prepping for my first interview this Wednesday! Thanks

Nothing unusual. The typical "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?", "why XYZ program?", "tell me about ABC thing on your application, that sounds interesting", and the never ending "what additional questions do you have about our program?" ... nothing strange or uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking for other's input. I have been on a few interviews now and at pretty much all of them, it felt like the interactions with current fellows were kept to a bare minimum with little or even no opportunity to ask the questions we all actually care about. More than once, some of the fellows did not even bother to say "hello" to the applicants. In residency interviews, this was universally considered a major red flag.

Anybody else having similar or dissimilar experiences? All help is appreciated!

Looking for other's input. I have been on a few interviews now and at pretty much all of them, it felt like the interactions with current fellows were kept to a bare minimum with little or even no opportunity to ask the questions we all actually care about. More than once, some of the fellows did not even bother to say "hello" to the applicants. In residency interviews, this was universally considered a major red flag.

I would still consider that a red flag...when I was a fellow, each one of us was encouraged to at least go to lunch with the applicants...I’m endo, but I can’t imagine it’s much different for ID.

That's a huge red flag. Every place I've been too have given us at least an hour alone with the fellows.

That's a huge red flag. Every place I've been too have given us at least an hour alone with the fellows.
Definitely agree. If the fellows were happy in the program I would expect the program to want them to interact with the applicants to talk up the program and the fellows would want to help recruit incoming fellows to their program. Especially in infectious diseases where the applicants are really in demand.

What have you guys been experiencing so far in terms of types of questions asked during interviews? Has there been anything out of the ordinary? Prepping for my first interview this Wednesday! Thanks
They all start with tell me about yourself and end with what questions do you have for us. Few places asked "why us". Most of the program try to find a fit for you in their program and they go above and beyond for you to meet faculty with shared interest. One person asked me "if you were a microbe, what would you choose" which wasn't the norm.

The only program that didn't allow us to spend time with the fellows was the one that I felt is the weakest. All of the others had lunches/dinners with the fellows.

Absolutely huge red flag. Former program the 2nd year fellows usually took the applicants out to lunch without faculty or anyone else from the program present.

If you don't speak with 2nd year fellows (whom presumably should have less clinical time) or 1st year fellows this is a huge red flag. That could be you next year.

Can anyone comment on NYU vs MT Sinai vs Montefiore/Albert Einstein?

Can anyone comment on NYU vs MT Sinai vs Montefiore/Albert Einstein?
Sorry did not interview at any of those places, I stuck mainly with Midwest programs. Is everyone done or wrapping up? Any programs out there that really surprised on interview day?

Is anyone else out there deciphering between 2 vs 3 year programs? I am interested in Transplant ID and seems to make more sense to do a 2 year program and go for the third year in transplant, especially at a program that has it in house vs doing a 3 year research based program followed by a year of transplant. Just wanted to see other insights or people in my shoes. Thanks!

I recently went through this myself. I made the mistake of doing a 2 year ID fellowship program at a center which did not offer an in-house transplant ID program. Although I had been told by the fellowship program that a 3rd year of research would be available if I wanted, the route for funding the research year was never made clear to me. I interviewed at 4 transplant ID programs and was not offered a spot at any of them for the current year (I was fortunately offered a spot for next year at one of them). I would caution that the TID programs are becoming quite competitive, especially for outside applicants. They're probably more competitive than general ID fellowship is. I was offered an interview nearly everywhere I applied but a lot of the spots seemed to either stay with an in-house Fellow or applicants that had other ties to the area (spouses job, etc).

If you know you want to do TID, I would recommend doing general ID at either a program which offers a TID year or is growing and hiring in-house. I applied to several Midwest centers for faculty jobs during that time and do not think the lack of TID training would have been prohibitive for a TID faculty job somewhere but the preference definitely seems to be growing for the TID training.

Cleveland Clinic offered a route for their fellows to do the TID year in their 2nd year of ID fellowship so they do not need to do a 2+1 program for the TID training. Otherwise, I would look for a place that offers the program in-house.
Thanks for the insight. And yes I interviewed at 3 programs which have Transplant ID as a third/fourth year option and it seemed those programs take preference to in-house fellows versus going for outside applicants. It seems to be a vastly growing field and tougher to do the third year going to a different program especially when those programs typically only have 1 spot! Then I hear the flip side where programs who do not have Transplant as a third year option say you do not need it and you can get enough training within the 2 years but it seems tough especially with a decent chunk of your time is dedicated to some type of research and other electives, thanks!

Did anyone interview at a program with good antimicrobial stewardship/infection control concentration?
Can someone comment on the California ID programs?

Did anyone interview at a program with good antimicrobial stewardship/infection control concentration?
Can someone comment on the California ID programs?

Stanford definitely excels in this area. They now have a fully ACGME-approved and funded stewardship track with the 2nd year featuring about ~75% protected AS time.

I am applying to ID next year and am interested in ID/critical care. From what y'all have seen on the interview trail, what programs seem to be more open to it and what programs seem to be against it?

Thanks!

Did anyone emailed programs before ranking and certifying ?

Did anyone emailed programs before ranking and certifying ?
I just emailed my top 5 programs. Short and sweet and to the point. Nothing to the extent of sending a thank you card or anything. Just a quick reminder of my interest in the program and what not. Got a few replies back.

I have/am emailing my top 5, also. Certainly, my #1 choice got a slightly different flavor!

Just a few hours and our future will be sealed !! Good luck everyone!

Best of luck guys!

Best of luck , i am planning to apply to unfilled position, how do i get access to it , thanks