Official 2020-2021 Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foreigner10000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go! Good luck to all of us. Who is applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

When are the actual apps due? I know they can start downloading Aug 12. Question though, if we submit July 1 vs Aug 1, is there a difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are the actual apps due? I know they can start downloading Aug 12. Question though, if we submit July 1 vs Aug 1, is there a difference?

"ERAS 2021 July cycle fellowships are now open! Applicants may begin submitting applications to July cycle fellowship programs. Programs may begin reviewing applications on Wednesday, August 12 at 9 a.m. ET. Applications submitted on or before August 12 at 9 a.m. ET will display an application date of “August 12” to programs. Applications submitted after August 12 will be date-stamped in real-time." This is the guidance on the AAMC website.

IMG (with MPH from well respected University) from a large mid-west community hospital applying broadly to University Fellowship programs. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

IMG (with MPH from well respected University) from a large mid-west community hospital applying broadly to University Fellowship programs. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!
Good luck! I am 5 years out of the residency, lots of publications in ID but no advanced degree! Applying to 20 University programs in the Midwest and East Coast! Mainly interested in tick borne illnesses!

"ERAS 2021 July cycle fellowships are now open! Applicants may begin submitting applications to July cycle fellowship programs. Programs may begin reviewing applications on Wednesday, August 12 at 9 a.m. ET. Applications submitted on or before August 12 at 9 a.m. ET will display an application date of “August 12” to programs. Applications submitted after August 12 will be date-stamped in real-time." This is the guidance on the AAMC website.

Thank you! So looks like we have till Aug 12.

Reactions: 1 users
Will current pandemic influence the interest for ID? Do you think it will become more competitive this tear?

Reactions: 1 user
I too am interested in this, how do you guys feel about competition this year? Also, do you think it will all be via Zoom?

I too am interested in this, how do you guys feel about competition this year? Also, do you think it will all be via Zoom?

Most program websites that I have seen (the ones that actually update annually, Hopkins, Stanford etc.) mention all interviews being held virtually in late August, September and October. Cant imagine this won't be the case everywhere, especially with COVID cases on the rise across the country. I'm also interested in how virtual interviews will impact the applicant pool and selection process. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Most program websites that I have seen (the ones that actually update annually, Hopkins, Stanford etc.) mention all interviews being held virtually in late August, September and October. Cant imagine this won't be the case everywhere, especially with COVID cases on the rise across the country. I'm also interested in how virtual interviews will impact the applicant pool and selection process. Guess we will have to wait and see.
I heard from few friends who are current fellows that programs plan to invite more candidates. What I am more curious is will this pandemic spark interest so many people apply or it will be quite opposite.... Where are you applying?

I heard from few friends who are current fellows that programs plan to invite more candidates. What I am more curious is will this pandemic spark interest so many people apply or it will be quite opposite.... Where are you applying?

I feel like by this point in the process folks are secured in the fellowship path they want to follow. I don't think the pandemic will create too many converts and compared to many other specialties, the salary certainly won't. Of my colleagues, quite a few who previously expressed interest in the field have actually decided to go directly to hospitalist work over continuing on to ID. As for me, I'm applying to mainly East Coast University programs with a few others in the mix. How about you?

I feel like by this point in the process folks are secured in the fellowship path they want to follow. I don't think the pandemic will create too many converts and compared to many other specialties, the salary certainly won't. Of my colleagues, quite a few who previously expressed interest in the field have actually decided to go directly to hospitalist work over continuing on to ID. As for me, I'm applying to mainly East Coast University programs with a few others in the mix. How about you?
I am applying to university programs in the Midwest mainly, and only few selected on the East Coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
General consensus on Personal Statement length? Mine is +/- 780 words (personalized for my top 5 programs), or about a page and a quarter on the PS uploader. I previously had it down to 1 page but a mentor reviewed and they said it lacked connection and story so I should expand. I know most stick to 1 page but I can't find anywhere to trim without losing context. Thoughts?

My PSs were similar 800-850 words; This year it is so quiet here- should we consider this silence here as a sign of decrease in ID fellowship interest this year? In previous years this forum was much more alive.....Good luck, it has officially started ;-)

Hey guys, ID fellowship applicant here. Good luck to everyone, excited about this season. I kept my PS length to one page, about 530 words for expediency's sake. Also wondering how the Zoom interview format will affect things.

Invites
8/12 VCU

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, ID fellowship applicant here. Good luck to everyone, excited about this season. I kept my PS length to one page, about 530 words for expediency's sake. Also wondering how the Zoom interview format will affect things.
I suppose as there is no travelling involved candidates will apply more broadly and also programs will invite more people. I am little worry if we will be able to get " the real feel" of the place but we will see....

reposting consolidated list:

8/12 - VCU, BIDMC

New to this forum. Adding MGH/BWH.

8/12 - VCU, BIDMC, MGH/BWH

• Wow
Interview Invites
8/13 - UVA

How can we best find programs that went into SOAP last year?

Adding to the Interview Invites
8/13 - UVA, Rutgers-NJ

8/14 - University of Nebraska

8/13 - UVA, Rutgers-NJ, Loyola-IL
8/14 - University of Nebraska, Wake Forest

8/14 - University of Nebraska, Wake Forest, Montefiore/Einstein

once these programs sent out their invites, its done right? they wont send out another wave of invites?

once these programs sent out their invites, its done right? they wont send out another wave of invites?

They might, depending on how many applicants schedule the interview and complete. Reading forums from previous years it seems that many programs had second wave of interview invites.

Have you heard anything about this program apart from what is on the website?

Not really. I picked it because their website says they offer an ID/crit track, and I know a couple of people who are working there and enjoy the general culture. Anything you were wondering about?

I’m reading from the cards forum that some programs stopped accepting applications within the first day or two of 8/12. Has anyone heard about this for ID fellowships?

8/14 - University of Nebraska, Wake Forest, Montefiore/Einstein, UT-Houston

Adding University of Michigan

8/14 - University of Nebraska, Wake Forest, Montefiore/Einstein, UT-Houston, University of Michigan

Reactions: 2 users
I also got an invite from UofM today

8/14 - University of Nebraska, Wake Forest, Montefiore/Einstein, UT-Houston, University of Michigan

Not really. I picked it because their website says they offer an ID/crit track, and I know a couple of people who are working there and enjoy the general culture. Anything you were wondering about?

It is great that they are being upfront about critical care track. I know that they are excellent for biopreparedness, and they seem strong on stewardship and hospital epi as well. I am wondering about how much of exposure to HIV during the training fellows get as the prevalence of HIV in Nebraska is not high

University of Tennessee
Stoney Brook University

How are we preparing for ZOOM Interview ?
Its so strange..

Congratulations.
By the way, did you got invite on Sunday or some other day?? just curious
Sorry, this was Thurs/Friday. I was too busy/forgot to come here and update. :smack: