**Official 2020 Prosthodontics PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emerald_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New PASS & MATCH in 2020! Let's share our experience through this journey! Good luck!

I am currently finishing up my application to submit. Anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

ya I am..
US Graduate
practicing in Dallas

Prefer Dallas A&M

Finished with most parts of the application except the dean;s letter

ya I am..
US Graduate
practicing in Dallas

Prefer Dallas A&M

Finished with most parts of the application except the dean;s letter

Hello !! How long have you been practicing? I'm a fourth year dental student and interested mostly in programs in Southern California.
-PS: You can apply without completion of dean's letter. Once all letters received, the application status will be "completed". How many programs will you be applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm an international dentist and I am almost ready to apply to the Pros programs.

I'm gonna apply to about 14 programs. Is it enough or should I consider more programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have a list of schools that are won't interview us if we do non-match schools? Also is that really a thing....leveraging applicants against the non-match schools?
So far I got Kentucky, Indiana, Chicago, Louisiana....

Anyone have a list of schools that are won't interview us if we do non-match schools? Also is that really a thing....leveraging applicants against the non-match schools?
So far I got Kentucky, Indiana, Chicago, Louisiana....

Where did you hear this? And how would these programs know that you are applying to non-match programs?

has anyone heard from any of the programs?
any interview invitations yet, or is this too early in the season?

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm still waiting for one more PEF and the institutional evaluation.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck @Svart Aske.

what schools you planning to apply to?

I would prefer Texas or schools close to texas to be closer to home...fingers crossed

Hey all, I received an interview for USC. Anyone else applying?

I am applying to the VA's and some New York area programs.
Hey man.. good luck..

are u a US grad? and US Citizen? Are you in the Military?

I talked to a recent VA graduate. He enjoyed the program as he did not have to sell treatment to the Veterans as the govt paid for the care.
One thing he said that he did not like is less research and less training to be in academia. He wanted to teach. But overall, he loved the experience.

He said it helps if you are or have been in the military in the past as directors , or faculty were trained in the military.

Hey all, I received an interview for USC. Anyone else applying?

Good luck.

I want to apply to USC. I thought it'd be early to apply as the deadline in NOV. But, I guess I have to send my application out as I am almost ready.

Hey man.. good luck..

I talked to a recent VA graduate. He enjoyed the program as he did not have to sell treatment to the Veterans as the govt paid for the care.
One thing he said that he did not like is less research and less training to be in academia. He wanted to teach. But overall, he loved the experience.

He said it helps if you are or have been in the military in the past as directors , or faculty were trained in the military.

US citizen. I did my GPR at a VA and enjoyed the experience. VAs are great for gaining clinical experience as there is no shortage of complex prosth patients. The average VA resident would likely graduate having done significantly more rehab and full arch cases than university graduates. Yes, there is less didactic and research but most VA residents take classes and seminars with the university residents. There is less hand-holding and you are expected to hit the ground running, that’s why they favor applicants who have GPR/AEGD or private practice experience.

Reactions: 2 users
sounds good.. seems like you have good qualifications.. should not be a problem for you

I am a US Grad, US Citizen
Practicing for 3 years in Dallas... directly to private practice after dental school.
NO military service (this I regret.. should have gone into The Reserves or National Guard )

Have applied to 10 schools so far....

Fingers crossed...

sounds good.. seems like you have good qualifications.. should not be a problem for you

I am a US Grad, US Citizen
Practicing for 3 years in Dallas... directly to private practice after dental school.
NO military service (this I regret.. should have gone into The Reserves or National Guard )

Have applied to 10 schools so far....

Fingers crossed...

Which programs did you apply to and how did you select them?

Which programs did you apply to and how did you select them?

My schools have been primarily geographically selected.
Texas univ programs- A&M, Houston, San Antonio,
Tennessee, UAB, LSU, U of Louisville, Nova Southeastern FL, UF Gainsville, UNC

I looked at Augusta University, Georgia, but the I have heard that it may be difficult to get patients because of the size of Augusta. Also, the Army Pros program is there, which takes away the military and veteran patients.
No idea if this is true. I have been trying to find anyone who trained there. Do u know much about the program?

What about u dude? Where all u planning to apply?

Last edited:
My schools have been primarily geographically selected.
Texas univ programs- A&M, Houston, San Antonio,
Tennessee, UAB, LSU, U of Louisville, Nova Southeastern FL, UF Gainsville, UNC

I looked at Augusta University, Georgia, but the I have heard that it may be difficult to get patients because of the size of Augusta. Also, the Army Pros program is there, which takes away the military and veteran patients.
No idea if this is true. I have been trying to find anyone who trained there. Do u know much about the program?

What about u dude? Where all u planning to apply?

VA (Houston, LA, New York, Milwaukee), UCLA, UCSF, Montefiore, Stony Brook.

I hear the VA programs are quite competitive due to the stipend. Good luck man.
Are you military?

Indeed they are more competitive. Not military, most residents aren't.

Hello everyone, I would like some help about something that I did not get a clear answer.
I am not sure whether it is quite relevant with the topic, but it has to do with PASS.

Can I add an educational visit/observership in a postgraduate program department in the "experiences" section in PASS? Is there any other more relevant section? Has anyone added anything like that?
Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone, I would like some help about something that I did not get a clear answer.
I am not sure whether it is quite relevant with the topic, but it has to do with PASS.

Can I add an educational visit/observership in a postgraduate program department in the "experiences" section in PASS? Is there any other more relevant section? Has anyone added anything like that?
Thanks a lot.

If it's just a 1 day observership I wouldn't put it in. If it's an academic rotation or externship (several weeks) then yes.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks a lot.

if it is a one day or a short visit to a program(s), you might wanna make it a part of your personal statement pertaining to your reasons for wanting to pursue prosthodontics..

Hey man.. good luck..

Thank you bunch! I am a US grad (or will be in 2020) and US Citizen. Not a military. Good luck to you as well ! I have spoke to VA residents before and they expressed the same concern. I am applying to VA in down town LA.

Thanks a lot.

Hello! I've had similar experience (one week instead of two) but I did not add to my PASS application and instead discussed it in statement and added to my CV.

I got an email last week from one of the programs that they received the application, but they had not started reviewing the applications yet. They will finish the review of all applications sometime in July , and invite the qualified candidates.

So I guess some programs will review after the Independence day, and send out invites in July or early August for Sept/Oct Interviews

Does anyone have any updates

Hello colleagues.......
anyone receive any invitations for any interviews yet? I just hear crickets....
It is early I guess, but the waiting is killing me ...

Not me... but I'm still waiting for my institutional evaluation to be submitted.

Not me... but I'm still waiting for my institutional evaluation to be submitted.
Hey man.. kinda frustrating with the evaluation.

Any clue when the schools start sending out the invitations? Just getting restless..

Hey man.. kinda frustrating with the evaluation.

Any clue when the schools start sending out the invitations? Just getting restless..

Looking at last year's thread, most people started getting invites starting around late July to early August.

Looking at last year's thread, most people started getting invites starting around late July to early August.

Right around the corner then.. great..

Thank you for the update ...

Any clue why your evaluation is taking so long?

Right around the corner then.. great..

Thank you for the update ...

Any clue why your evaluation is taking so long?

Our dean of student affairs apparently writes fairly detailed and personalized letters (using LORs from my other evaluators) for every applicant.

Did anyone receive anything from Marquette??

Did anyone receive anything from Marquette??
I have been told the schools generally start sending invitations around end of July/early august..

I don't think invitations have been sent out yet..but maybe I am wrong

I personally, have not received anything from anywhere

Anyone has applied to UF?? How much processing time do they usually take??

Did you receive a confirmation from any other University?
nothing so far...

one univ emailed me that my applications is complete and they are sending it to the committee for review.. so I guess at least 1-3 weeks

Did you receive a confirmation from any other University?

Ya, from three universities. They needed some supplemental documents, and once I uploaded them, they informed me the application is complete and sent for review.

Most don't tell you your applications is complete, or at least, I didn't get emails from them

What about u

I got a notification from Marquette and Louisville
Ya, from three universities. They needed some supplemental documents, and once I uploaded them, they informed me the application is complete and sent for review.

Most don't tell you your applications is complete, or at least, I didn't get emails from them

What about u

Roughly how many applications do programs receive in any given year?

Roughly how many applications do programs receive in any given year?

DISCLAIMER: This is just a random guess. I do not have any direct knowledge of this, and if anyone has more information, feel free to chime in. My answer is based on the following assumption:

Every program must at least get 40-50 applicants.

Total number of programs (pros): 41
Average seats per program: 3

Assuming there are 123 residents per year, each program probably get at least 25% of the total applicants ( which is 30.) Add another 10-15 applicants of foreign trained dentists.
That brings the number to 40-50

The application is reviewed and they invite an average of 10 applicants to interview.

Of course, some programs get more applicants than others.