Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShiShiMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year.
Everyone getting everything ready for submission. It is going to be a good year.
Lots of new programs to apply to (WV Marshall University is one of them).

For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help, I wish everyone the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Please make this thread sticky.

new programs accepting application now : https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun

75 North Country Road Port Jefferson, NY 11777 Ph: (631) 978-7700
[email protected]
Ramona Rajapakse, MD
Initial Accreditation 04/09/2021

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1249 15th Street Huntington, WV 25701 Ph: (304) 691-1086
[email protected]
Wesam Frandah, MBBCh
Initial Accreditation 04/09/2021

Members don't see this ad :)
It's that time of the year.
Everyone getting everything ready for submission. It is going to be a good year.
Lots of new programs to apply to (WV Marshall University is one of them).

For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

Format, please.

AMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

US-IMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
- Questions You have

IMG-Visa - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help, I wish everyone the best.

US-IMG (Green Card)
Community affiliated academic program with no in-house fellowship or prior successful matches into GI
PGY-3 Chief Resident

1. Step 1 - 229/Step 2 CK - 258/Step 2 CS - Pass/Step 3 - 225/No fail
2. DDW - 2, ACG - 13 - 15, ACP - 2. Awards at ACG & ACP
3. 25 Pubs (6 Reviews/SRMA, 19 case reports). Collaborating with academic GI but no national/international leaders
4. Potential LOR: Academic GI x 2, PD, and Community GI at my program
5. Could not do away rotations because of COVID-19

When programs set their score filters, how would my application fare? Step 1 229, Step 2 258, if programs set their filter higher than my step 1 but my step 2 makes their filter, would my application make the initial pool?

To all the GI legends on this forum, tear my application apart!

Reactions: 1 user
US-IMG (Green Card)
Community affiliated academic program with no in-house fellowship or prior successful matches into GI
PGY-3 Chief Resident

1. Step 1 - 229/Step 2 CK - 258/Step 2 CS - Pass/Step 3 - 225/No fail
2. DDW - 2, ACG - 13 - 15, ACP - 2. Awards at ACG & ACP
3. 25 Pubs (6 Reviews/SRMA, 19 case reports). Collaborating with academic GI but no national/international leaders
4. Potential LOR: Academic GI x 2, PD, and Community GI at my program
5. Could not do away rotations because of COVID-19

When programs set their score filters, how would my application fare? Step 1 229, Step 2 258, if programs set their filter higher than my step 1 but my step 2 makes their filter, would my application make the initial pool?

To all the GI legends on this forum, tear my application apart!

Your application looks good, being an IMG would filter you out of some programs, I advice to apply to all the program you can afford. Publications are good but not having an in-house fellowship makes it tough and not having prior GI matches makes it even tougher.

But you can and could be the first. Please apply broadly and widely

Question about GI Research:

I am a US Grad, PGY-1 at large, mid tier academic program with in-house program. 220 Step 1, 229 Step 2. I have 13 manuscripts (9 first author), 18 abstracts/posters. These were mostly during medical school and were a mix of mostly general & ortho surgery + GI. 1 case report, 1 manuscript, 1 oral presentation, and 1 poster are GI related. I'm struggling to find a ton of research opportunities in Residency at the moment, but have 4 cases (oncology (gastric cancer) related) so far.

My other major priority is making sure my clinical skills are great as I know my scores will require evidence of that through letters, ITE scores, Step 3. I am trying to assess my weaknesses and improve them. Will not having as much GI-related research be a significant negative?

Question about GI Research:

I am a US Grad, PGY-1 at large, mid tier academic program with in-house program. 220 Step 1, 229 Step 2. I have 13 manuscripts (9 first author), 18 abstracts/posters. These were mostly during medical school and were a mix of mostly general & ortho surgery + GI. 1 case report, 1 manuscript, 1 oral presentation, and 1 poster are GI related. I'm struggling to find a ton of research opportunities in Residency at the moment, but have 4 cases (oncology (gastric cancer) related) so far.

My other major priority is making sure my clinical skills are great as I know my scores will require evidence of that through letters, ITE scores, Step 3. I am trying to assess my weaknesses and improve them. Will not having as much GI-related research be a significant negative?

please concentrate on step 3.
And join the societies and associations.
you need couple of first author researches. But your chances are 70%

Can anyone tell me about Duke's GI program? Call schedule, faculty etc...

Also, where can. you find the information for the non-ACGME Hepatology programs? Good luck this year everyone!

Also, where can. you find the information for the non-ACGME Hepatology programs? Good luck this year everyone!
if you search the forum the list is on here

DO applicant at a mid-tier university program without an in-house fellowship (not ideal) but don't regret choosing my program:

Step 1: 240
Comlex 1: 678
Comlex 2: 720
Comlex 3: 780

Publications: 9 - Manuscripts/Case Report (3 - the only ones that probably count anyways vs abstracts), Abstracts (6)
First author on 1 manuscript and 2 abstracts
Poster Presentations: 13 - National (7), State/Regional (5), Local (1)
First author on 2 national, 3 state/regional, and 1 local --> presented 5 national, 3 state/regional, and 1 local
Pending Submission: 6 - 2 Case reports for poster presentation, 1 original research for poster presentation, 2 case reports for manuscript publication, 1 original research for manuscript publication
First author on all 6 pending submissions
Chief: PGY-3 at my program this upcoming year
Potential LORs: 3 GI, 1 Colorectal Surgery (Assistant PD for surgery program),1 IM (TY Program Director) and our PD letter

Interested in IBD and hepatology as alternatives if do not land any interviews this year. Will have some ongoing research that may help, as well. Overall, just going to give it my best shot and hope for the best. First resident at my program to attempt GI in probably 30 years which doesn't help either. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
DO applicant at a mid-tier university program without an in-house fellowship (not ideal) but don't regret choosing my program:

Step 1: 240
Comlex 1: 678
Comlex 2: 720
Comlex 3: 780

Publications: 9 - Manuscripts/Case Report (3 - the only ones that probably count anyways vs abstracts), Abstracts (6)
First author on 1 manuscript and 2 abstracts
Poster Presentations: 13 - National (7), State/Regional (5), Local (1)
First author on 2 national, 3 state/regional, and 1 local --> presented 5 national, 3 state/regional, and 1 local
Pending Submission: 6 - 2 Case reports for poster presentation, 1 original research for poster presentation, 2 case reports for manuscript publication, 1 original research for manuscript publication
First author on all 6 pending submissions
Chief: PGY-3 at my program this upcoming year
Potential LORs: 3 GI, 1 Colorectal Surgery (Assistant PD for surgery program),1 IM (TY Program Director) and our PD letter

Interested in IBD and hepatology as alternatives if do not land any interviews this year. Will have some ongoing research that may help, as well. Overall, just going to give it my best shot and hope for the best. First resident at my program to attempt GI in probably 30 years which doesn't help either. Fingers crossed.
If you apply to all the programs you can afford, you will get so many IVs. Good luck, actually let me rephrase that, All the best #DOProud

Reactions: 3 users
Failed to match last year
Non US IMG
-Steps 228/232/221
-Pubs ~ 13 Reviews/Case reports
-Abstracts ACG/ACP ~12
-Housestaff officer of the year nomination/lots of community service
-strong letters 1 GI, 2PD, APD, Cardiology
-Doing Hepatology year

Best of luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Failed to match last year
Non US IMG
-Steps 228/232/221
-Pubs ~ 13 Reviews/Case reports
-Abstracts ACG/ACP ~12
-Housestaff officer of the year nomination/lots of community service
-strong letters 1 GI, 2PD, APD, Cardiology
-Doing Hepatology year

Best of luck everyone
Hep year will help you a lot trust me on this, good luck apply to all the programs you can and still be involved in GI research make connections

The site that was listed in the old forum no longer works. Do you havr the update site information?

What are my chances? Appreciate the replies in advance.

Current PGY3, next year will doing a PGY4 chief year at my program. Applying this year (broadly)
Residency is mid tier academic university with in house program

1 abstract poster - DDW 1st author
3 case report posters - ACG 1st author
1 published case report in non pubmed indexed journal
Im not sure if this matters at all but am working on a manuscript that likely won't be accepted by the time applications are due and am 2nd author on a few other DDW/ACG abstracts and case reports

edit:
AMG MD
step 1 243, step 2 265, step 3 243 (all pass on first attempt)

Last edited:
Hello all. Trying to decide if I'm going to apply this year or next (weighing both options due to my personal situation with my spouse's job). This would be my application profile if I were to apply this year. I would appreciate any insight into what my chances would look like.

AMG (US-MD), at top 25 program with in house GI fellowship, PGY3 with no chief year
Step 1: 253, Step 2: 260, Step 2 CS: pass first attempt, Step 3: 245
Publications: 6 manuscripts, 3 first author, 3 in GI.
Abstracts/posters: 2 ACG first author, 1 ACP first author, 1 non-GI first author. Possibly more to come pending decisions for fall professional meetings.
Other info: Multiple HSA/community service leadership positions in residency

I appreciate your help. I know research is probably what I should focus on improving and I have some ongoing projects that may come to fruition after my application would have already been submitted that I could potentially update programs on.

Current PGY3, next year will doing a PGY4 chief year at my program. Applying this year (broadly)

Im not sure if this matters at all but am working on a manuscript that likely won't be accepted by the time applications are due and am 2nd author on a few other DDW/ACG abstracts and case reports

edit:
AMG MD
Strong board scores, chief year, AMG MD, middle tier academic program, and decent (but not outstanding) research - all things working in your favor. Thankfully, you don't need a superb research CV as an AMG to match GI (assuming you're not applying for a research track). The pending manuscript can make a difference depending on how involved you are in it. If its a project that you completely own and are going to be first author, then yes, interviewers will want to hear about it. If you're just along for the ride as a 4th or 5th author, maybe not so much. Either way, provided you have decent letters, apply broadly, and can hold a conversation, you wont have a problem matching.

Hello all. Trying to decide if I'm going to apply this year or next (weighing both options due to my personal situation with my spouse's job). This would be my application profile if I were to apply this year. I would appreciate any insight into what my chances would look like.

AMG (US-MD), at top 25 program with in house GI fellowship, PGY3 with no chief year
Abstracts/posters: 2 ACG first author, 1 ACP first author, 1 non-GI first author. Possibly more to come pending decisions for fall professional meetings.

I appreciate your help. I know research is probably what I should focus on improving and I have some ongoing projects that may come to fruition after my application would have already been submitted that I could potentially update programs on.
After having gone through this past application cycle with similar board scores, slightly higher IM program reputation (lower end of top 10, probably), and significantly less research, you'll likely walk into a fellowship program again provided you were a strong resident with letters that support that, apply broadly, and can hold a conversation / speak intelligently about your research. However, if you're applying to research tracks, then I cant speak on your competitiveness but I'd be surprised if your app wouldn't at least be considered solid.

edit:
AMG MD

You will get enough Interviews. Make sure to apply to new programs and also many increased there size from 3 to 5 make sure to apply.;

Apply broadly and make sure your spouse understands your job matters also, he or she can always find a job in the new city. With this profile, I would be surprised if the in-house program does not take you.

all of the Transplant Centers or Transplant programs have non-ACGME spots for transplant hepatology , apply to those first.
search the forum you clearly searching somewhere esle

IMG (Greencard)
Program: Large mid tier university affiliated busy program with in-house GI fellowship
Step 1/2/3: 256/251/236/All 1st attempt
Step 2 CS : 2nd attempt Pass
Research: 9 months of GI clinical research fellowship prior to residency with a very active team. This is what contributed to good ongoing productivity during residency.

>20 Original Manuscripts all GI (4 first author, 2 second author, 5-6 third/fourth author, Multiple other author/papers from nationwide registries with tons of authors)
~30-32 abstracts at DDW/ACG all original studies...about 60% converted to manuscripts already mentioned above....6-7 local/regional meetings, 2-3 case reports.
Ongoing projects/Under Submission: ~10-12 projects and 4-5 (2 first author) in submission. 2-3 more first author submissioms in the next 6 months.

Letters: 1 strong in-house GI PD, 1 very strong in-house chair of GI (both have voluntarily told me they will call/email when its time/need), 1 IM PD

Questions-
1. Will that CS failed attempt affect the outcome significantly? Also, given the fact that CS is not a part of boards anymore but will still reflect on the transcript
2. Spouse applying for her grad school this year and she will start getting interviews by June-July hopefully. Want to know when is the ideal time to reach out to programs in geography of our common interest (some recommend before the cycle starts)? Or should I wait until she starts getting interviews?
3. For my 4th letter- My mentor from research fellowship is a very well known name and has been very involved with ASGE/AGA in various higher positions but I know the letter might be mostly generic with some personal lines here and there (I know this because I have seen them draft letters while I worked with them) vs a IM Hospitalist (worked together for 2 months) at my program who will write a strong letter. I was thinking to use the prior for selected programs and later for the rest. That a good approach?

To all the legends in this group, thank you for all you do every year and will really appreciate your views on my application

Thanks

IMG (Greencard)
Program: Large mid tier university affiliated busy program with in-house GI fellowship
Step 1/2/3: 256/251/236/All 1st attempt
Step 2 CS : 2nd attempt Pass
Research: 9 months of GI clinical research fellowship prior to residency with a very active team. This is what contributed to good ongoing productivity during residency.

>20 Original Manuscripts all GI (4 first author, 2 second author, 5-6 third/fourth author, Multiple other author/papers from nationwide registries with tons of authors)
~30-32 abstracts at DDW/ACG all original studies...about 60% converted to manuscripts already mentioned above....6-7 local/regional meetings, 2-3 case reports.
Ongoing projects/Under Submission: ~10-12 projects and 4-5 (2 first author) in submission. 2-3 more first author submissioms in the next 6 months.

Letters: 1 strong in-house GI PD, 1 very strong in-house chair of GI (both have voluntarily told me they will call/email when its time/need), 1 IM PD

Questions-
1. Will that CS failed attempt affect the outcome significantly? Also, given the fact that CS is not a part of boards anymore but will still reflect on the transcript
2. Spouse applying for her grad school this year and she will start getting interviews by June-July hopefully. Want to know when is the ideal time to reach out to programs in geography of our common interest (some recommend before the cycle starts)? Or should I wait until she starts getting interviews?
3. For my 4th letter- My mentor from research fellowship is a very well known name and has been very involved with ASGE/AGA in various higher positions but I know the letter might be mostly generic with some personal lines here and there (I know this because I have seen them draft letters while I worked with them) vs a IM Hospitalist (worked together for 2 months) at my program who will write a strong letter. I was thinking to use the prior for selected programs and later for the rest. That a good approach?

To all the legends in this group, thank you for all you do every year and will really appreciate your views on my application

Thanks

YOU WILL MATCH, Please apply broadly, although your in-house fellowship is your best chance 2CS is getting out of filter this year.

Man you had me at 256-251 but got me 20+ Original Manuscript

If you do not apply broadly and attend all Interviews your chances are low.

YOU WILL MATCH, Please apply broadly, although your in-house fellowship is your best chance 2CS is getting out of filter this year.

Man you had me at 256-251 but got me 20+ Original Manuscript

If you do not apply broadly and attend all Interviews your chances are low.

Thank you for the response @ShiShiMD. I will definitely apply broadly. My home program is my best bet I agree!

non US IMG, requiring J1 visa
step 1: 252 Step 2 CCK: 231, Step 3: 215, Step 2 CS pass (passed all steps in 1st attempt)
Research: DDW: 7 posters, ACG: 8 posters, APA: 2 posters, received Young investigator award, presindential poster awards, publications: 6 with 100+ citations

Ongoing : 4 projects, submitted 3 case reports

Letters: IM PD, 1 academic GI letter, 2 university hospital letters,

In House GI 2 fellowship spots available with non accredited Advanced endoscopy fellowship available.

Aiming for academic GI fellowship spot, will apply broadly.

Thank you in Advance

non US IMG, requiring J1 visa
step 1: 252 Step 2 CCK: 231, Step 3: 215, Step 2 CS pass (passed all steps in 1st attempt)
Research: DDW: 7 posters, ACG: 8 posters, APA: 2 posters, received Young investigator award, presindential poster awards, publications: 6 with 100+ citations

Ongoing : 4 projects, submitted 3 case reports

Letters: IM PD, 1 academic GI letter, 2 university hospital letters,

In House GI 2 fellowship spots available with non accredited Advanced endoscopy fellowship available.

Aiming for academic GI fellowship spot, will apply broadly.

Thank you in Advance
You should get around 5 to 7 interviews if you apply to all the program. The only issue would be the non-US IMG requiring J-1.
J-1 has became a huge headache for many programs.

You should get around 5 to 7 interviews if you apply to all the program. The only issue would be the non-US IMG requiring J-1.
J-1 has became a huge headache for many programs.

Thank you for your kind replies in this forum. May I ask why it has become such an issue and is the case similar for H1b? I'm curious from the standpoint of an AMG on an H1, which does not fit the statistics very well. From a PD perspective, how much of the "amg advantage" is lost by the visa requirement?

Thank you for your kind replies in this forum. May I ask why it has become such an issue and is the case similar for H1b? I'm curious from the standpoint of an AMG on an H1, which does not fit the statistics very well. From a PD perspective, how much of the "amg advantage" is lost by the visa requirement?

From the PD perspective, we rank based on who is the best fit for the community and program.
Ties to City, State, and Local applicants are preferred, so let say a program has 3 spots.
2 is given internally most of the time to local graduates or state graduates 1 is given out of state.
if it has 5 spots, 3 is given to home program graduate, 2 to outside.

Everyone is ranked based on qualification, scores, dedication to the field, research, future plans and are filtered first on basis of Visa since many institutions can not accommodate visas.

AMG on H1B gets the 6-year extension and 1 year for Advance and gets an EAD-AP approval for Green Card in fellowship. Now, this is for American Medical Graduate on H1B who are mostly Canadian, African, Asian who did their Medical School in the USA.

IMG on H1b - The number of programs that will accommodate you is very limited maybe 10, and they need serious applicants that are Outstanding or of National Interest.

for J1 is totally different story, since there is no clear guidance to how we can protect the graduates once they graduate and it actually becomes a huge headache for the sponsoring institution.

Hello everyone,

Just trying to get some general advice regarding my chances.

AMG (US-MD) at top 20 IM program.
No chief year
Step 1: 25x, Step 2: 25x, Step 2 CS: pass first attempt, Step 3: 24x
Publications: 1 first author GI manuscript submitted, 2 non-GI manuscripts (prior to Med School),
Abstracts/posters: 2 ACG first author, 1 DDW 4th author, 2 ACP first authors. 7 case reports/presentations at local/regional meetings
Other: Leadership in residency

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

No chief year
Publications: 1 first author GI manuscript submitted, 2 non-GI manuscripts (prior to Med School),
Abstracts/posters: 2 ACG first author, 1 DDW 4th author, 2 ACP first authors. 7 case reports/presentations at local/regional meetings

Thanks!

Not that great, you need strong LORs 2 at least from GI and you need research or publications in Pancrease, Liver, Colorectal and if your home program has a Fellowship get a LOR from a known GI faculty who has a connection in the various programs.

Apply broadly and widely. If you going to apply to a 40 or 50 programs you will end up with 3 or 4 Interviews.

Research is lacking and I hope you do not mean 2 ACG first author for the upcoming ACG session.

Leadership in residency does not mean anything, we want collaborators and those who understand Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ( Wellness and Support) for your peers.

Also we are looking for residents who volunteered at medical reserve or other health departments for the COVID-19 pandemic this round

Hello everyone,

No chief year

Thanks!
I think your chances of matching are very good and you will get a good amount of interviews if you apply broadly, what you lack in research you make up for attending a top 20 AMG program with good board scores which will get you farther than many will acknowledge or believe, if you have the personality to go with it, you'll be fine

Hello everyone,

No chief year

Thanks!
I agree with the poster above. I like to think I'm the poster child of people who ride on the backs of their residency program's clout and board scores to get into GI fellowship. I can count on less than one hand the number of total (let alone significant) research experiences that I have (and care to have) and easily matched into fellowship. My board scores are nearly identical to yours. Only difference is one might argue that I go to a top 10 program (lower end). Unless I'm grossly underestimating the difference in the perceived pedigree of our residency programs, I think you'll be fine. Make sure your letters are good and that you interview well.

Also agree with board scores and pedigree mattering heavily, not necessarily just in merely matching GI but more so the tier of program you match to. For whatever reason, how you did on exams 2 levels of training prior to fellowship still matter. Such is life

Last edited:
Also agree with board scores and pedigree mattering heavily, not necessarily just in merely matching GI but more so the tier of program you match to. For whatever reason, how you did on exams 2 levels of training prior to fellowship still matter. Such is life
Thank you all for the advice. Will keep you updated on what happens. Cheers!

Hello everyone,

No chief year

Thanks!
welcome to gi

Hello everyone,

No chief year

Thanks!
Your profile is very similar to some of my co-residents who matched into GI this year, but I would consider our IM program mid-tier instead of your situation which is top 20. I think the prestige of your program will override the perceived "average" research experiences you have when compared to the typical GI applicant. The heavy research is needed when you are coming from a mid-lower tier IM program or Community program.

Unless you only apply to like 20-30 programs, you have a high chance of matching IMO.

Hi I am an IMG. I graduated from residency in 2017. As I did not match then, I went ahead and finished my J1 waiver as a hospitalist and am applying for GI fellowship this year on H1B. My question is should I get LOR from PD of my residency program and get a letter of the Hospitalist Director? Or do I not need either of them?
Thanks in advance!

I always see people with great board scores applying, making people with average scores intimidated to post on here, even though there are a lot of people with average scores that end up matching every year, although not in top/university programs. Figured I'd try to change that and get a more diverse group of people posting.

Non-US IMG (Green Card)
Large Community Program with University Affiliation - No in house GI program
Step 1 22x, CK 22x (2nd attempt), CS Pass, Step 3 23x
PGY3 Chief Resident 2021-2022
Publications - First Author Clinical Research Pub (Digestive Diseases and Sciences), First Author Case Report pub (Canadian Liver Journal), second author bench research x 2 (both DDS), 3 publications from my work with a national hepatitis database (reputable journals), three 2nd author on ACP abstracts/posters - all in the last 2 years during residency. 4 publications prior to residency, numerous other poster/abstract presentations from prior to residency
Certified in PoCUS and Fibroscan - Created PoCUS Certification Course for Residents/Attendings at my hospital system over the last 2 years
LORs - PD, Academic GI x 2, GI Research Mentor

Tried to boost the other aspects of my application over my 2 years of residency and built a lot of connections knowing my scores and a prior fail on step 2 would hold me back. I've been told I interview and present myself very well, so here's to hoping some programs will look at my entire application, not just focus on my scores. Best of luck to everyone!

US IMG
Step 1- 247 , Step 2 - 242 Step 2 CS- Pass first Attempt Step 3 - 218
Residency at University affiliated community Hospital
Publications
1. 6 Publications ( 1 case report in pubmed indexed, 2 case reports in non-pubmed indexed, 1 research paper and 1 review article in non pubmed indexed journals all in GI ) , Pending 2 research papers submitted to pubmed indexed journals
2. Abstracts - 11 ( DDW- 1 poster, 2nd author) ( ACG- 2 posters) (ACP - 1 poster) , Multiple other posters at regional meeting and regional GI meeting. Planning on submitting more to AASLD and ACG ( 2 to ACG and 2 to AASLD)
LOR's - PD , 2 GI attendings , 1 hepatologist

Will apply broadly . What are my chances??

US IMG
Publications
1. 6 Publications ( 1 case report in pubmed indexed, 2 case reports in non-pubmed indexed, 1 research paper and 1 review article in non pubmed indexed journals all in GI ) , Pending 2 research papers submitted to pubmed indexed journals
2. Abstracts - 11 ( DDW- 1 poster, 2nd author) ( ACG- 2 posters) (ACP - 1 poster) , Multiple other posters at regional meeting and regional GI meeting. Planning on submitting more to AASLD and ACG ( 2 to ACG and 2 to AASLD)

apply broadly especially to new programs... reach out to new programs early on... best bet is in house if available... skip top 30-40 programs to save money unless you know someone there.. have a backup plan... will be a very uphill battle..

I always see people with great board scores applying, making people with average scores intimidated to post on here, even though there are a lot of people with average scores that end up matching every year, although not in top/university programs. Figured I'd try to change that and get a more diverse group of people posting.

Non-US IMG (Green Card)
Large Community Program with University Affiliation - No in house GI program
Step 1 22x, CK 22x (2nd attempt), CS Pass, Step 3 23x
PGY3 Chief Resident 2021-2022
Publications - First Author Clinical Research Pub (Digestive Diseases and Sciences), First Author Case Report pub (Canadian Liver Journal), second author bench research x 2 (both DDS), 3 publications from my work with a national hepatitis database (reputable journals), three 2nd author on ACP abstracts/posters - all in the last 2 years during residency. 4 publications prior to residency, numerous other poster/abstract presentations from prior to residency
Certified in PoCUS and Fibroscan - Created PoCUS Certification Course for Residents/Attendings at my hospital system over the last 2 years
LORs - PD, Academic GI x 2, GI Research Mentor

Tried to boost the other aspects of my application over my 2 years of residency and built a lot of connections knowing my scores and a prior fail on step 2 would hold me back. I've been told I interview and present myself very well, so here's to hoping some programs will look at my entire application, not just focus on my scores. Best of luck to everyone!

Bench research is how you ll differentiate yourself.. Apply to all T32 / basic science programs you can... reach out early... your scores run you at risk of filtering... but usually not in basic science tracks... focus on mi-tier places with t32 grants like rush or mcw... have mentors call early... you have a very good shot...know what there t32 is for and focus on selling how your skills will help them... for instance MCW has a t32 only for motility research... figure how you ll fit in all that...

Hi I am an IMG. I graduated from residency in 2017. As I did not match then, I went ahead and finished my J1 waiver as a hospitalist and am applying for GI fellowship this year on H1B. My question is should I get LOR from PD of my residency program and get a letter of the Hospitalist Director? Or do I not need either of them?
Thanks in advance!
You will need both but the most recent is the one

US IMG
Publications

Bench research is how you ll differentiate yourself.. Apply to all T32 / basic science programs you can... reach out early... your scores run you at risk of filtering... but usually not in basic science tracks... focus on mi-tier places with t32 grants like rush or mcw... have mentors call early... you have a very good shot...know what there t32 is for and focus on selling how your skills will help them... for instance MCW has a t32 only for motility research... figure how you ll fit in all that...

I agree with @cabergoline2, you need to differentiate yourself and apply to the research tracks.

DO 2nd year/rising 3rd year IM resident
Mid-tier academic program
Step 1- 257
Step 2- 258
Didnt take Step 3
Comlex 1 - 777, Comlex 2 - 711, Comlex 3 - 676

12 papers (6 first author - 1 basic science research paper, 4 review papers (3 of which are GI related), 1 case report), 1 paper submitted as first author (hepatology clinical research)

2 oral presentations (1 at DDW, 1 case report ACP)

14 poster presentations (6 first author total)
(4 DDW, 2 ACG, 1 EASL, 1 ACP (ACP and EASL first author GI/hep poster))

Will apply broadly and want to match at academic program. What are my chances?

Last edited:
DO 2nd year/rising 3rd year IM resident
Mid-tier academic program
Step 1- 257
Step 2- 258
Didnt take Step 3
Comlex 1 - 777, Comlex 2 - 711, Comlex 3 - 676

12 papers (6 first author - 1 basic science research paper, 4 review papers (3 of which are GI related), 1 case report), 1 paper submitted as first author (hepatology clinical research)

2 oral presentations (1 at DDW, 1 case report ACP)

14 poster presentations (6 first author total)
(4 DDW, 2 ACG, 1 EASL, 1 ACP (ACP and EASL first author GI/hep poster))

Will apply broadly and want to match at academic program. What are my chances?
you'll be fine. your scores/research are strong and your residency is mid-tier. make sure the programs you apply to have a track record of matching osteopathic. or you can apply broadly, like you said, just to be sure. you should get enough interviews to match.

Guys,
When you filling the ERAS,
There is a limit of 510 Characters under ''Awards/Accomplishments''
When adding posters, research, residency awards, It needs much more than that.
Is there anywhere else where you can add these things?

I would include the most significant because thats what makes a difference. In the Hierarchy of awards , Nobel prize>>>>>> lasker award > Grants NIH grants > seed funding > Society grants (Like ACG/AASLD young investigator award) >>>>>>>>>>> Society travel award (like AASLD emerging liver scholar >>> best poster/best abstract award >> best resident /chief resident > random teaching awards >>> pat on the back by the PD..

Skip minor stuff like best poster in your residency program show and tell competition...

I would include the most significant because thats what makes a difference. In the Hierarchy of awards , Nobel prize>>>>>> lasker award > Grants NIH grants > seed funding > Society grants (Like ACG/AASLD young investigator award) >>>>>>>>>>> Society travel award (like AASLD emerging liver scholar >>> best poster/best abstract award >> best resident /chief resident > random teaching awards >>> pat on the back by the PD..

Skip minor stuff like best poster in your residency program show and tell competition...

What if the Lasker/ Nobel/ Oscars/ Medals of Honor/ Grants exceed this limit?

• Haha
What if the Lasker/ Nobel/ Oscars/ Medals of Honor/ Grants exceed this limit?

than the program applies to the applicants rather than applicant applying to the program...

• Haha

Last cycle my co-resident updated a program that they won PCP of the month. Was followed up with a rejection the next day.