**Official 2021 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saturdays

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
There really isn't much information out there regarding dental anesthesiology, so I figured I'd start the thread this year to hopefully connect with other applicants. Feel free to share any info or post any questions :)

Good luck everybody!

Previous threads:
**Official 2020 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**
**Official 2019 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I am a prospective applicant to the dental anesthesiology programs. I am concerned because I was supposed to do my externships this year between March and August but due to COVID-19 situation and NY being the epicenter, I was unable to. A little background about my academic credentials - I was originally a foreign graduate and received BDS degree as Class Valedictorian and had 4.0 GPA. I also received 13 Distinctions and 8 Gold Medals. Then I did two years DMD program and graduated with High Honors, Dean's list and a cGPA of 3.72. My class rank was not so great (31/77). I have 4 years private practice experience as a general dentist and have done a lot of CE courses. My externships were at three prestigious dental schools in US but in the department of OMFS. Can I be a potentially good anesthesiology residency candidate given my lack of DA externships and class rank?? Any help would be amazing!

Hello! I am a prospective applicant to the dental anesthesiology programs. I am concerned because I was supposed to do my externships this year between March and August but due to COVID-19 situation and NY being the epicenter, I was unable to. A little background about my academic credentials - I was originally a foreign graduate and received BDS degree as Class Valedictorian and had 4.0 GPA. I also received 13 Distinctions and 8 Gold Medals. Then I did two years DMD program and graduated with High Honors, Dean's list and a cGPA of 3.72. My class rank was not so great (31/77). I have 4 years private practice experience as a general dentist and have done a lot of CE courses. My externships were at three prestigious dental schools in US but in the department of OMFS. Can I be a potentially good anesthesiology residency candidate given my lack of DA externships and class rank?? Any help would be amazing!
My externships were affected as well, but I think they should be understanding. There is a section to explain how COVID-19 affected your application that you can fill out. Your academic background sounds pretty solid! Some sources do say that you should be in the top third of your class to be competitive, but it's not a requirement. It seems like you have plenty of other experiences to make up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My externships were affected as well, but I think they should be understanding. There is a section to explain how COVID-19 affected your application that you can fill out. Your academic background sounds pretty solid! Some sources do say that you should be in the top third of your class to be competitive, but it's not a requirement. It seems like you have plenty of other experiences to make up for it.

I really hope so that my class rank and no externships do not cause a negative impact! Thank you for your kind words and support! I wish the best to you and hope we both match to great programs! I believe some programs will still expect us to extern with local dental anesthesiologists in their private practices but I contacted 3 or 4 in my area and they are still figuring their SOPs to minimize COVID-19 spread so they are not keen on taking "outsiders" till everything is almost back to normal....whatever normal is...

Hi everyone! Goodluck to you all!!!!

Did anyone else get an email inviting them to an online webinar from NYU Langone?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I think so. Since most programs can't host externs I'm assuming this is their way of allowing us to ask questions about their program, etc. And somehow programs have access to who selected their program on PASS, even before we submit out apps. I wonder if it'll be everyone at once or individual.
Oh okay, awesome.. Hmmm.. they’re probably as a group if we are at the same time. Is yours June 18th at 8 PM?

Oh okay, awesome.. Hmmm.. they’re probably as a group if we are at the same time. Is yours June 18th at 8 PM?
Yes, I got invited to the one on June 18th at 8 pm also! I think they're giving a presentation and then giving us a chance to ask questions. Jacobi did something similar, but it was just a one-on-one Q&A session!

Does anyone know if there are any unfilled positions for post match 2020?

Hey everyone! Awesome to connect with you all. I will also be applying this cycle and attending the NYU webinar Thursday :)

Hey everyone! I will be attending the webinar on Thursday, as well as applying this cycle! Super excited about this process.

Is anyone aware of any programs that still plan on accepting externs?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I got invited to the one on June 18th at 8 pm also! I think they're giving a presentation and then giving us a chance to ask questions. Jacobi did something similar, but it was just a one-on-one Q&A session!
Hello everyone. When did Jacobi do their Q&A? Who was it with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,. For Ohio State University, are you submitting an official NBDE copy by email along with having one sent to pass? Or are you just sending an unofficial screenshot of the pass score via email?

Is Letter of Recommendation same as Professional Evaluation Form (PEF)?? I do not see any place in ADEA PASS where I can attach LOR or send a link to submit LORs.

Anyone else getting excited/nervous for interview invites, good luck everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else getting excited/nervous for interview invites, good luck everyone

Oh yes!! Some are over zoom too so it's going to be such a different experience. Would have been so much fun to meet everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Also applying this year! Looking forward to going through the process with everyone :)

I’m surprised nobody has gotten an interview invite yet. Just by going from the threads of the last two years, it seems we should soon. GL everybody

I’m surprised nobody has gotten an interview invite yet. Just by going from the threads of the last two years, it seems we should soon. GL everybody
I think there might be over 80 apps this year so that might be part of the slow down and maybe the deadline was earlier in previous years

I think there might be over 80 apps this year so that might be part of the slow down and maybe the deadline was earlier in previous years
Oh wow that's a pretty drastic increase compared to previous years. Guess its gonna be a tough cycle!!

Also, did any of you receive confirmation emails from any programs that they received your application? I haven't heard from some programs I applied to so just wondering.

I applied to Ohio, Masonic and Pitt but did not get any confirmation that my application was received. It kind of makes me nervous!
Also, did any of you receive confirmation emails from any programs that they received your application? I haven't heard from some programs I applied to so just wondering.

Only one I‘ve heard from is Jacobi. I applied last year, and no programs acknowledged receipt of my application except to tell me I had an interview.

I received an application complete email when I emailed NYU my 2x2 photo.

I received an email stating my application was complete from Illinois Masonic (said my app is under review by selection committee), Pitt, and NYU.

Last edited:
I received an email stating my application was complete from Illinois Masonic (said my app is under review by selection committee), Ohio, and NYU.
I did not receive one from OSU, I sent my 2x2 photo and other info to “[email protected]” .. Is this the email that confirmed your app was complete?

My apologies, I wrote Ohio, but meant Pitt ‍. I’ve corrected my previous post.

Did you send a physical 2x2 picture to the non OSU programs or which email did you use? Thanks!

1. NYU- notified by phone on 9/22- interview via Zoom on 10/27 or 10/28

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats toothfairy10101! That’s beautiful! Any one else with interviews! I’m still waiting myself.

1. Ohio (email 9/22) — interview 10/19 via Zoom.

Found the invite in my junk folder!

Does anyone have any experience from pervious application cycles? I am wondering if I have not heard anything from NYU or Ohio if this means I probably will not be interviewed. Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience from pervious application cycles? I am wondering if I have not heard anything from NYU or Ohio if this means I probably will not be interviewed. Thanks!

All of the people I’ve talked to agree that this application cycle is very strange, so I wouldn’t lose hope. I’m not sure if a lot of people apply to OSU, but last year they only interviewed 12 for 2 spots. NYU’s deadline is Oct.1, so I’m assuming they won’t give all of the interview invites until after that day.

All of the people I’ve talked to agree that this application cycle is very strange, so I wouldn’t lose hope. I’m not sure if a lot of people apply to OSU, but last year they only interviewed 12 for 2 spots. NYU’s deadline is Oct.1, so I’m assuming they won’t give all of the interview invites until after that day.

Strange how??

Strange how??

For all the reasons we think it is. COVID happening, no externships, higher application numbers, delayed interview invites, Zoom interviews, etc. It’s just a weird year. Couldn’t imagine being a program director and having to schedule all of it.

For all the reasons we think it is. COVID happening, no externships, higher application numbers, delayed interview invites, Zoom interviews, etc. It’s just a weird year. Couldn’t imagine being a program director and having to schedule all of it.

Ok. That makes sense.