• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

**Official 2021 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

saturdays

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Last edited:

hopefulapplicant11

May 16, 2020
  1. Dentist
Hello! I am a prospective applicant to the dental anesthesiology programs. I am concerned because I was supposed to do my externships this year between March and August but due to COVID-19 situation and NY being the epicenter, I was unable to. A little background about my academic credentials - I was originally a foreign graduate and received BDS degree as Class Valedictorian and had 4.0 GPA. I also received 13 Distinctions and 8 Gold Medals. Then I did two years DMD program and graduated with High Honors, Dean's list and a cGPA of 3.72. My class rank was not so great (31/77). I have 4 years private practice experience as a general dentist and have done a lot of CE courses. My externships were at three prestigious dental schools in US but in the department of OMFS. Can I be a potentially good anesthesiology residency candidate given my lack of DA externships and class rank?? Any help would be amazing!

saturdays

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Hello! I am a prospective applicant to the dental anesthesiology programs. I am concerned because I was supposed to do my externships this year between March and August but due to COVID-19 situation and NY being the epicenter, I was unable to. A little background about my academic credentials - I was originally a foreign graduate and received BDS degree as Class Valedictorian and had 4.0 GPA. I also received 13 Distinctions and 8 Gold Medals. Then I did two years DMD program and graduated with High Honors, Dean's list and a cGPA of 3.72. My class rank was not so great (31/77). I have 4 years private practice experience as a general dentist and have done a lot of CE courses. My externships were at three prestigious dental schools in US but in the department of OMFS. Can I be a potentially good anesthesiology residency candidate given my lack of DA externships and class rank?? Any help would be amazing!
My externships were affected as well, but I think they should be understanding. There is a section to explain how COVID-19 affected your application that you can fill out. Your academic background sounds pretty solid! Some sources do say that you should be in the top third of your class to be competitive, but it's not a requirement. It seems like you have plenty of other experiences to make up for it.

About the Ads

hopefulapplicant11

May 16, 2020
  1. Dentist
My externships were affected as well, but I think they should be understanding. There is a section to explain how COVID-19 affected your application that you can fill out. Your academic background sounds pretty solid! Some sources do say that you should be in the top third of your class to be competitive, but it's not a requirement. It seems like you have plenty of other experiences to make up for it.

I really hope so that my class rank and no externships do not cause a negative impact! Thank you for your kind words and support! I wish the best to you and hope we both match to great programs! I believe some programs will still expect us to extern with local dental anesthesiologists in their private practices but I contacted 3 or 4 in my area and they are still figuring their SOPs to minimize COVID-19 spread so they are not keen on taking "outsiders" till everything is almost back to normal....whatever normal is...

SDL21

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
  1. Dental Student
Yay! Any clue what it is? Informative session about their program is what my guess was
Yeah, I think so. Since most programs can't host externs I'm assuming this is their way of allowing us to ask questions about their program, etc. And somehow programs have access to who selected their program on PASS, even before we submit out apps. I wonder if it'll be everyone at once or individual.

Reactions: 1 user

toothfairy10101

Jun 4, 2020
  1. Dental Student
Yeah, I think so. Since most programs can't host externs I'm assuming this is their way of allowing us to ask questions about their program, etc. And somehow programs have access to who selected their program on PASS, even before we submit out apps. I wonder if it'll be everyone at once or individual.
Oh okay, awesome.. Hmmm.. they’re probably as a group if we are at the same time. Is yours June 18th at 8 PM?

saturdays

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Oh okay, awesome.. Hmmm.. they’re probably as a group if we are at the same time. Is yours June 18th at 8 PM?
Yes, I got invited to the one on June 18th at 8 pm also! I think they're giving a presentation and then giving us a chance to ask questions. Jacobi did something similar, but it was just a one-on-one Q&A session!

About the Ads

TNdent

7+ Year Member
May 8, 2013
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey everyone! I will be attending the webinar on Thursday, as well as applying this cycle! Super excited about this process.

Is anyone aware of any programs that still plan on accepting externs?

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Dentalman11

7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2011
Oklahoma
  1. Dentist
Also, did any of you receive confirmation emails from any programs that they received your application? I haven't heard from some programs I applied to so just wondering.

Only one I‘ve heard from is Jacobi. I applied last year, and no programs acknowledged receipt of my application except to tell me I had an interview.

About the Ads

Dentalman11

7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2011
Oklahoma
  1. Dentist
Does anyone have any experience from pervious application cycles? I am wondering if I have not heard anything from NYU or Ohio if this means I probably will not be interviewed. Thanks!

All of the people I’ve talked to agree that this application cycle is very strange, so I wouldn’t lose hope. I’m not sure if a lot of people apply to OSU, but last year they only interviewed 12 for 2 spots. NYU’s deadline is Oct.1, so I’m assuming they won’t give all of the interview invites until after that day.

friendlynitrous

Sep 22, 2020
  1. Dentist
All of the people I’ve talked to agree that this application cycle is very strange, so I wouldn’t lose hope. I’m not sure if a lot of people apply to OSU, but last year they only interviewed 12 for 2 spots. NYU’s deadline is Oct.1, so I’m assuming they won’t give all of the interview invites until after that day.

Strange how??

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.