Official 2022 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schwifty

Ortho PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright y'all, I'll get it started this year

Step 1: 250
Level 1: 581

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Resources: UWorld, OME, BnB, AnKing step 2 (really only gonna do the dorian cards, I just like the way everything is tagged)

My only real goal is to beat my step/level 1 scores. Gonna be testing in mid/late June after ~3 weeks of dedicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopping on this thread too.

Step 2 goal: 260+

Resources: UW, Amboss, Anki

Let's get it

Underperformed on the psych shelf lmaooo

Not sure what happened here since I was scoring in the high 80's on the two NBME's I took

Still high-passed the rotation so I don't feel too bad, but I thought Anki + 1.5 qbanks would have been enough for honors

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Bit the bullet and bought B&B for step 2 and safe to say I am liking it.

Never really used it for step 1, so here's hoping that Dr. Ryan can work his magic

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bit the bullet and bought B&B for step 2 and safe to say I am liking it.

Never really used it for step 1, so here's hoping that Dr. Ryan can work his magic
Are you using anki at all? I’m using AnKing but just doing the Dorian cards, just don’t wanna do 20k cards like I did for step 1 lol

Are you using anki at all? I’m using AnKing but just doing the Dorian cards, just don’t wanna do 20k cards like I did for step 1 lol
yeah I am, doing Lightyear for Step 2 and then unsuspending stuff I get wrong from Anking

I ain't doing 30k cards again lol, didn't help me as much as I would have thought anyway

Step 2 goal: 260+ (Mid April/ Early May)

Resources: UW, Amboss, Anki (Cheesy dorian, WIWA)

Lets go guys!

Anyone took the IM shelf yet? Took a practice NBME today and barely passed it lol

Ideally looking to score somewhere in the 70's and I've got about 4 weeks left. Still have a lot of UW and Amboss to do but I'm looking if there is any other rotation specific resource I can add!

Anyone took the IM shelf yet? Took a practice NBME today and barely passed it lol

Ideally looking to score somewhere in the 70's and I've got about 4 weeks left. Still have a lot of UW and Amboss to do but I'm looking if there is any other rotation specific resource I can add!
I took mine last month. NBME 4 was harder than the actual shelf I thought but I passed both. I only used TrueLearn and Anking Step 2 and got a 78. I only took two NBME's 4 first and 6 last.

I took mine last month. NBME 4 was harder than the actual shelf I thought but I passed both. I only used TrueLearn and Anking Step 2 and got a 78. I only took two NBME's 4 first and 6 last.
Took NBME 5 and got a 73 so I'm pretty happy with that. Did you get through all of Anking Step 2?

Took NBME 5 and got a 73 so I'm pretty happy with that. Did you get through all of Anking Step 2?
Ok so I am an idiot and I didn't realize that the cards were tagged by shelf exam until this block (OB) so I had been un-suspending the Zanki step decks by subject this entire time. It worked out fine and I finished all of the Zanki deck cards. Now I just have to play catch up on the other IM and psych cards in the other decks.

took it in July, only did cheesy Dorian cards and zanki cards. I think probably also did about 160 Uworld questions. I got a 72 (Passed) and was pretty mad. I would say definitely finish Uworld IM questions.

Alright needs some serious help for the OB shelf. Just failed my practice NBME shelf and I've got a 1.5 weeks left till the actual shelf. I have a good amount of UW to do, so I've decided that I'm just going to cram as much of it in as possible by Sunday along with some B&B's. Then I'll take another practice test and see where I'm at. Thoughts on this plan, or should I add in some UWise and divine in there somehow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 250-260
Step 2 goal: 260-270

So far, scoring high 80's for IM, surg, and neuro shelves using AnKing, AMBOSS, and UW. There's not much info out there for Step 2 prep, at least compared to Step 1. I'm thinking it's because of P/F and this being the first year that Step 2 is important?

Alright needs some serious help for the OB shelf. Just failed my practice NBME shelf and I've got a 1.5 weeks left till the actual shelf. I have a good amount of UW to do, so I've decided that I'm just going to cram as much of it in as possible by Sunday along with some B&B's. Then I'll take another practice test and see where I'm at. Thoughts on this plan, or should I add in some UWise and divine in there somehow?
For anyone in the future who is panicking about OBGYN, I passed with a 71 and had a 54 on that practice shelf. Just grind questions from UW and Amboss and you will pass...

Any recommendations for the FM Shelf? I've been using TrueLearn (required by my school) for shelf-specific banks and then just random questions on Uworld. I have heard it's one of the more difficult ones. Are the NBME's worth it?

Posting this for accountability. Ever since Step/Level 1 I've been less motivated but just signed up for both today. Testing in July and have 3-4 weeks of dedicated. Had to take some time off since I have Surgery and EM right before which I know will be demanding.

Step 1: low 250s
Level 1: 660s

Really just hoping to at least match these scores, ideally a 260/700 would look real nice haha.

Posting this for accountability. Ever since Step/Level 1 I've been less motivated but just signed up for both today. Testing in July and have 3-4 weeks of dedicated. Had to take some time off since I have Surgery and EM right before which I know will be demanding.

Step 1: low 250s
Level 1: 660s

Really just hoping to at least match these scores, ideally a 260/700 would look real nice haha.
I’m the same. After grinding anki for 2 years I lost all motivation to study. Scheduled my exam for late June, and I finally got back into the habit of doing anki / practice questions consistently. But I have no idea how I was able to do so many cards during M1/2, now I feel like 300 reviews is insane lol

I’m the same. After grinding anki for 2 years I lost all motivation to study. Scheduled my exam for late June, and I finally got back into the habit of doing anki / practice questions consistently. But I have no idea how I was able to do so many cards during M1/2, now I feel like 300 reviews is insane lol
Its so weird how that happens. I looked back at my heat map and the couple weeks before step 1 I was doing like 1400 cards. Once I hit 4-500 now I'm done and cant do anymore lol. I think what we may miss by not doing so many cards, we'll make up for by being hands on and actually learning in the hospital/clinic. I gotta get my life together though haha

I started wondering if, knowing nothing about the question, it is better to choose "normal findings" or "reassurance and follow up." And when I get them wrong, it feels weird to make an Anki card about something that's normal, or what not to do. anyone else have thoughts on those Qs?

Generally speaking, "normal" is more common with pediatric questions. That's because of all the physiologic developmental changes growing up. So the peds questions have "normal" or "observation" or "reassurance" as the correct answer more often than other specialty questions.

As far as normal vs. reassurance, that usually is not an issue since "normal" is a "diagnosis" whereas "reasurrance and follow up" is a "next step." So typically you will not have to decide between them since they are answering different questions.

1.5 weeks in with 1.5 weeks left to go!

Step 1 - 249
Shelves - honored Peds Psych Neuro, Surgery; HP'd IM FM OBGYN
Step 2 practice tests
Nbme 9 - 253
NbMe 10 - 248
NbMe 11 - TBD
Amboss - TBD
UW1 - 256
Uw2 - TBD
Free 120 - TBD%

• Love
1.5 weeks in with 1.5 weeks left to go!

Step 1 - 249
Shelves - honored Peds Psych Neuro, Surgery; HP'd IM FM OBGYN
Step 2 practice tests
Nbme 9 - 253
NbMe 10 - 248
NbMe 11 - TBD
Amboss - TBD
UW1 - 256
Uw2 - TBD
Free 120 - TBD%

what have you been doing in dedicated? just UW?

took the beast recently. will say it was very challenging. i think the best advice i can give is to do a lot of questions and stay calm. they tended to throw a lot of odd presentations or obscure questions about relatively "simple" topics, such as screening guidelines but twist it in a way that makes you second guess yourself. I had 4 weeks dedicated - scores below. will report back here with real scores. walked out of the exam feeling pretty rough, already know of 5-10 i got wrong for certain, which hurts. hoping 270+ is still in the cards...

UW 1st pass: 81%
UW 2nd pass (dedicated): 94%
NBME 9 (4 weeks): 260
Amboss SA (did a block each day across 4 days): 271, 88%
UWSA 1 (3 weeks): 265
NBME 10 (2.5 weeks): 277
NBME 11 (2 weeks): 284
UWSA 2 (5 days): 281
Free 120 (new, 2 days): 87%

feel free to ask any questions about the exam or prep
bro you're a beast

UW second pass isn't going super hot lmao

currently at 70%, had a first pass of 64%. Didn't realize how much I had forgotten even while doing anki

Step 1 - 249

Nbme 9 - 253
NbMe 10 - 248
NbMe 11 - 254
Amboss - 268
UW1 - 256
Uw2 - 264
Free 120 - 85%

Step 2 score: 267

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats man! what do you credit for your score jump?
Over M3 I did Amboss 1-4 hammer questions, all of UW, all NBME practice shelf forms, the three NBME step forms, both UW step forms, Amboss assessment, and made flash cards each day in addition to the Anking step 2 deck (~11k cards).

Any of yall doing a second pass of UW? I feel like I'm remembering a lot of the q's, at 89% with 6% done
I feel like that score is typical from what I've seen/heard from others. If you were scoring 60% on your 2nd pass that would be a big problem. I plan on only going through my wrongs twice.

• Love
took it friday. Fair exam with some bs. Questions werent too difficult but picking between a few similar answer choices was, especially for ethics when they have 3 different ways of saying the same thing. Had several drug ad questions which are not my favorite but all of the medicine stuff was on par with UW and NBMEs. Looking for 250+, Scored around 245-255 on practice stuff, predictor had me around 248.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Took it June 17th.
STEP1 244

UW1.5 74%
Amboss overall 76%
Amboss SA - 249
NBME 9/10/11 - 260/260/266
UWSA1/2 - 251/270
Free 120 - 85%
Real deal - 270

Did all of UWorld x1.5: Reset after taking shelves for OB/Peds/Surg so I did those x2 and IM/FM/Psych x1
Did all of Amboss: Didn't use it for OB/Peds/Surg and only honored OB. Used it for everything else and finished the bank to do well on remainder of MS3 rotations.
Annotated The White Coat Companion as my FirstAid equivalent / reference text.
Takeaway/Hindsight
- Amboss > UWorld for shelves and ethics; UWorld > Amboss for STEP2.
- White Coat Companion is a great overall text. Mostly comprehensive but missing small details which make annotating it super important for review. The index is the biggest piece of **** I've ever seen, but it made me go through the book ad nauseam, so maybe that was the intention?
- NBME9 and UWSA1 suck. Free 120 is weird. Still recommend doing all of them just to get the reps in.
- Question stems didn't feel that long, maybe because of adrenaline / mentality going into the test. Felt very similar to UWSA2. Questions similar to UWorld, thought process similar to practice tests, if that makes sense?
- Preworkout doesn't make me need to pee as much as coffee, but it does make me jittery.

Felt like 3/4 of the exam was some variation of questions that I did before. Maybe 5-10% were completely bizarro-world, guess-mark-move on types of questions. Remainder were 50/50's. Stars definitely aligned for the score, though.
Only two blocks with triple drug ad questions. Got insanely lucky with the ethics questions - Amboss carried me.

Got my score today: 249!

UWAS2 was off by one point: 250

Originally, told myself at the beginning of third year I wanted to get a 260, but then by the end of dedicated I would have been happy with a 240.

Guess I'll take something in the middle then hahahah

Step 2: 250

UWAS2: 238 a week before
UWAS1: 234 I believe, 3 weeks before

I think my rotation notes I took throughout the year carried me to do well on step 2. Not a good standardized test taker. Not super competitive or wanting to do a top tier specialty either. Have done lower side of avg on MCAT and Step 1. Did about 25-50 uworld questions, maybe up to 75 for IM, to prepare for shelf exams. Did about 3-4 weeks of "dedicated" of just 40 questions about a day of Uworld- 4 weeks leading up to dedicated, did about 10-20 questions a day. Throughout the year watched a lot of online med ed. That's it really- maybe I lucked out not sure. Also had more free time in my schedule to study for Step 2 around my GI rotation vs. last year where my test heavy school threw the kitchen sink at us and I had 3.5 weeks to basically "cram" Step 1 as I could barely study around all the curriculum commitments.

Posting for the those who are not the typical SDN "superstars"

Step 1 - 200 to 215 range
NBME 10 - 225
NBME 11 - 230
UW1 - 231
UW2 - 235
UW (1st pass) - 65% (could not do a 2nd pass)
Free 120 - 69%

Already not a great test taker, I had a short month to study for Step 2. I was having a lot of problems with timing on the practice exams with 5-6 Qs remaining at the 5 minute mark and having to randomly choose the final answers as time ran out every time. Two days before the Step 2 exam, I made a terrible mistake eating jalapenos with my dinner. I was having stomach issues (feeling of burning) the next day and throughout the exam. Needless to say it was not an ideal testing situation. Too late to cancel/postpone the exam so I bit the bullet and took it.

On the actual Step 2 exam, I ran out of time on all 8 blocks.
Block 1= randomly chose the last 9-10 Qs (I tried to shake it off with a quick bathroom break, hoping it would get better. It wasn't)
Blocks 2-7 = randomly chose the last 4-5 Qs (Bathroom breaks between each block because of the stomach issues)
Block 8 = same timing issues as Block 1
Questions presumptively wrong: 50

I am about 90% certain that I did not pass, even with the approximately 76 experimental questions and the "curve." I think my exam was between "easy" and "mid hard." I figured that I am already starting off with 50 Qs wrong from the timing issues mentioned above. And I remember roughly 17 Qs that I believe I got wrong. That means I am likely already in the hole 67 missed Qs. I read that if one gets 60% correct answers, they can pass. So I can miss 90 Qs = 150/240 correct answers is 62%? There is obviously be more questions that I have missed that I can't remember. It's apparent from my Step1 score that I will not be going into a competitive specialty. I will be happy with peds, FM, IM, or neurology. I had a goal of at least a 220 before I took the exam. Now just passing.

Question to SDNers: Is there even a remote possibility that I passed with a 214 or should I start preparing for a retake? Be direct and honest. I still have PTSD. Thanks!

Step 2 : ?

Posting for the those who are not the typical SDN "superstars"

Step 1 - 200 to 215 range
NBME 10 - 225
NBME 11 - 230
UW1 - 231
UW2 - 235
UW (1st pass) - 65% (could not do a 2nd pass)
Free 120 - 69%

Already not a great test taker, I had a short month to study for Step 2. I was having a lot of problems with timing on the practice exams with 5-6 Qs remaining at the 5 minute mark and having to randomly choose the final answers as time ran out every time. Two days before the Step 2 exam, I made a terrible mistake eating jalapenos with my dinner. I was having stomach issues (feeling of burning) the next day and throughout the exam. Needless to say it was not an ideal testing situation. Too late to cancel/postpone the exam so I bit the bullet and took it.

On the actual Step 2 exam, I ran out of time on all 8 blocks.
Block 1= randomly chose the last 9-10 Qs (I tried to shake it off with a quick bathroom break, hoping it would get better. It wasn't)
Blocks 2-7 = randomly chose the last 4-5 Qs (Bathroom breaks between each block because of the stomach issues)
Block 8 = same timing issues as Block 1
Questions presumptively wrong: 50

I am about 90% certain that I did not pass, even with the approximately 76 experimental questions and the "curve." I think my exam was between "easy" and "mid hard." I figured that I am already starting off with 50 Qs wrong from the timing issues mentioned above. And I remember roughly 17 Qs that I believe I got wrong. That means I am likely already in the hole 67 missed Qs. I read that if one gets 60% correct answers, they can pass. So I can miss 90 Qs = 150/240 correct answers is 62%? There is obviously be more questions that I have missed that I can't remember. It's apparent from my Step1 score that I will not be going into a competitive specialty. I will be happy with peds, FM, IM, or neurology. I had a goal of at least a 220 before I took the exam. Now just passing.

Question to SDNers: Is there even a remote possibility that I passed with a 214 or should I start preparing for a retake? Be direct and honest. I still have PTSD. Thanks!

Step 2 : ?
still possible, have a back up plan ready if things go south

Step 1: 250-260
Step 2 goal: 260-270

So far, scoring high 80's for IM, surg, and neuro shelves using AnKing, AMBOSS, and UW. There's not much info out there for Step 2 prep, at least compared to Step 1. I'm thinking it's because of P/F and this being the first year that Step 2 is important?
f/u, scored 270-280, super happy. UWSA1 265, UWSA2 284, NBME's followed a similar distribution. AMBOSS, UWorld, and early, consistent use of Anki are key.

f/u, scored 270-280, super happy. UWSA1 265, UWSA2 284, NBME's followed a similar distribution. AMBOSS, UWorld, and early, consistent use of Anki are key.
Hey! Congrats on being done with STep 2! I was wondering what topics you felt were heavy and which ones you'd recommend focusing on. TIA

Step 2: 250

UWAS2: 238 a week before
UWAS1: 234 I believe, 3 weeks before

I think my rotation notes I took throughout the year carried me to do well on step 2. Not a good standardized test taker. Not super competitive or wanting to do a top tier specialty either. Have done lower side of avg on MCAT and Step 1. Did about 25-50 uworld questions, maybe up to 75 for IM, to prepare for shelf exams. Did about 3-4 weeks of "dedicated" of just 40 questions about a day of Uworld- 4 weeks leading up to dedicated, did about 10-20 questions a day. Throughout the year watched a lot of online med ed. That's it really- maybe I lucked out not sure. Also had more free time in my schedule to study for Step 2 around my GI rotation vs. last year where my test heavy school threw the kitchen sink at us and I had 3.5 weeks to basically "cram" Step 1 as I could barely study around all the curriculum commitments.
Hey! Congrats on being done with STep 2! I was wondering what topics you felt were heavy and which ones you'd recommend focusing on. TIA

Hmm its been a couple of months now, so a little fuzzy, but definitely noticed Step 2 is more like shelf exams, more straightforward questions than Step 1 and more clinical based. Lots of IM and IM subspecialty questions I would say. There was a decent amount of ethics as well if I recall correctly. Definitely review IM material thoroughly before taking, and do questions in each core specialty at least before taking it.

Hmm its been a couple of months now, so a little fuzzy, but definitely noticed Step 2 is more like shelf exams, more straightforward questions than Step 1 and more clinical based. Lots of IM and IM subspecialty questions I would say. There was a decent amount of ethics as well if I recall correctly. Definitely review IM material thoroughly before taking, and do questions in each core specialty at least before taking it.
Thank you very much!