OFFICIAL: 30+ Completed Secondary Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadHopsMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my 30th secondary and working on my 31st!!!!

Costs So far:

AMCAS: = $1300
Secondaries: 30 schools = $2595
Misc (Interfolio, Expressposts)= approx. $350

Members don't see this ad.

got ya beat, 10 mins from submitting 42.
Total cost is probably around $6.5k now with flights.

narc said:

wow, I was gonna ask you where you applied. BUT a better question to ask you is: where didnt you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... are you guys serious? Why would you apply to that many schools. I thought my 17 was excessive. Are you even seriosly interested in attending all of them if they were your only school u got accepted too?

Disinence2 said:
Wow... are you guys serious? Why would you apply to that many schools. I thought my 17 was excessive. Are you even seriosly interested in attending all of them if they were your only school u got accepted too?

Hell no i dont want to attend all of these.
But I am not doing this crap twice. So I figure try once with a full effort.
Im not paying for it so that makes it easier. But I do feel bad asking for $3k to be put into my account every month.

My 41 doesnt included Mayo.

Disinence2 said:

My case: I took the mcat 4 times...i have no idea who looks at them unfavourably...

Also I would have applied to way more (perhaps even more than you NARC)...if I knew that they would accept this lonely -and desperate- canadian

If I get into a crappy school i dont want to attend then oh well.

narc said:
If I get into a crappy school i dont want to attend then oh well.

Teerawit said:

I feel the same way as Narc I just want to get in.

By the way, Im at 45 right now baby!! And that does not include 4 pre-secondary rejections, so I have heard from 49.

narc said:
Hell no i dont want to attend all of these.
But I am not doing this crap twice. So I figure try once with a full effort.
Im not paying for it so that makes it easier. But I do feel bad asking for $3k to be put into my account every month.

My 41 doesnt included Mayo.

I can't wait till you have to start living as an independent being...i.e no support from mommy and daddy.

riceman04 said:
I can't wait till you have to start living as an independent being...i.e no support from mommy and daddy.

Once a physician, he will be supporting them ;)

If someones parents are willing to support them, why knock on them.

riceman04 said:

Please bud, I don't need some lecture from you. I pay for everything else on my own, and am working full time. Spare me the lecture :rolleyes:

P.S. This is the only support I will get in terms of medical school. But then again I dont need to justify anything to you. :laugh:

narc said:
Narc, my question for you is how do you plan to juggle interviews with classes? Since you've applied to 40+ schools, and already gotten a couple interviews, you might end up interviewing at a bunch of places and miss a lot of class this semester (or a lot of work, if you are out of school). I foresee this might be a problem for me. How will you manage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Disinence2 said:

I'm from California and have an average GPA, and only want to apply once...so I'll be applying to around 30 as well. It's really not that crazy, but I won't be in school when I apply so i'll have more time, and money.

riceman04 said:

lol someone is bitter

I've gotten about 30 secondaries although I never filled out Case and Columbia and Oregon. I took a few summers off from work so I didn't want to explain that on my secondaries. But I prolly filled out 28 so dar?

riceman04 said:

Same thought ran through my mind. To each his own though. Its great to have the support of one's parents, I even got some support from mine during undergrad. But I take the greatest pride in doing things on my own, even when its hard. Maybe its the way the comment was worded, just came off sounding kinda bad, almost like bragging that he wasn't having to foot the bill for anything ... so not caring as much about the costs. None of my business though. Not my place to judge, just thought I'd let you know that your not the only one who got that impression. Best of luck to everyone. :luck:

Edit: i'm not ragging on you narc. Just Letting you know that it may sound different than you intended.

I am a reapplicant and I am applying to 35 schools: ~12 under my stats, ~12 at my stats and ~11 over my stats. To narc and others who are applying to a "ridiculous" amount of schools, im with you all the way, reapplying is totally not cool. I think if my parents were not willing to help me out, I would get a hostessing job or something to facilitate this process. definately trying to avoid a third time, and I would like to go to school in the states.

ilovehedgehogs said:
I am a reapplicant and I am applying to 35 schools: ~12 under my stats, ~12 at my stats and ~11 over my stats. To narc and others who are applying to a "ridiculous" amount of schools, im with you all the way, reapplying is totally not cool. I think if my parents were not willing to help me out, I would get a hostessing job or something to facilitate this process. definately trying to avoid a third time, and I would like to go to school in the states.

You have a great profile. I don't think you need to worry. You'll get in this year :thumbup:

alot of money you guys and i mean ALOT i am here complaining about the nine school i applied to :oops:

Haemulon said:
You have a great profile. I don't think you need to worry. You'll get in this year :thumbup:

seriously, getting rejected from 4 schools with a 26 should be no suprise. now you're rockin a 33. applying to 35 is complete overkill.

Doctor~Detroit said:
seriously, getting rejected from 4 schools with a 26 should be no suprise. now you're rockin a 33. applying to 35 is complete overkill.

perhaps, but rejection has made me overzealous and slightly paranoid all the same.

wow...u guys are really applying to too many schools...it might be hard choosing between schools if you have multiple acceptances in hand...but good luck nonetheless.

Doctor~Detroit said:

Shooting too hard is better than shooting hardly enough...an overkill is always better than an "underkill."

Disinence2 said:
I'm at 18 and when I say that at interviews the other applicants look at me like I sprouted a 2nd head. :eek:

Anastasis said:
I'm at 18 and when I say that at interviews the other applicants look at me like I sprouted a 2nd head. :eek:

I agree...I'm gonna finish at 19 or 20 (haven't decided if I want to pay Mayo $75 to say no thanks) and I don't know how you could stomach/afford 30+. Best of luck though.

Sartre79 said:
I agree...I'm gonna finish at 19 or 20 (haven't decided if I want to pay Mayo $75 to say no thanks) and I don't know how you could stomach/afford 30+. Best of luck though.

many of the essays could be recylced, however the cost is hard

GuzzyRon said:
Shooting too hard is better than shooting hardly enough...an overkill is always better than an "underkill."

Not when you're a level 11 mage... you will have no mana left to cast spells on the level 18 strength hero with +75 damage and 3200 hit points that whups your fairy ass.

So for the 30+ secondaries people, do you actually find something interesting about each and every school you applied to? Or did you just go down the list? If the latter, what do you write about on essay questions that ask "Why did you apply to ____________ medical school?"

eternalrage said:
So for the 30+ secondaries people, do you actually find something interesting about each and every school you applied to? Or did you just go down the list? If the latter, what do you write about on essay questions that ask "Why did you apply to ____________ medical school?"

Considering half of these questions are bull$****, it is not difficult to go through a schools website and come up with some reasons why you would want to go there. I have yet to have to resort to the simple answer of you offer MD degrees and I want one.

eternalrage said:

actually, for about 25/35 of my schools there are things about their ciriculums that make them unique and interesting to me. To research it, I have the MSAR, and I went to their websites for more info in order to answer the "Why did you apply to ____________ medical school?" questions. As for the rest, I added because of their stats/i liked the location/someone at work recommended it etc. To be honest tho, I would be happy to go to any of them.

narc said:
Considering half of these questions are bull$****, it is not difficult to go through a schools website and come up with some reasons why you would want to go there. I have yet to have to resort to the simple answer of you offer MD degrees and I want one.

lol, well put

wow thats a lot of schools to be applying to. I only applied to 9, and a bunch of those are reaches... now I'm wondering if I should add more? :confused:

DE12MD said:
wow thats a lot of schools to be applying to. I only applied to 9, and a bunch of those are reaches... now I'm wondering if I should add more? :confused:

yea, i think you should add 3-5 more under/at your stats, but congrats on aecom!!

DE12MD said:

Yeah add more. My roomate only applied to mainly reaches and all he heard from them was static between november and may.