*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question: Just to be sure, as a Canadian applicant, under citizenship, I would put non-citizen, non-visa holder? This is asking in terms of being a US citizen right?
Also, for SSN, should I enter my SIN? or just leave it blank? And I don't have any undergrad work experience. Do applicants list work in high school?

Thank you

No high school work, only if continued on from High school to college

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, i was wondering where I should put research that was not for any credit but was still done at my university. Should it be under work experience or volunteer work? I would think work but I am not sure. Thanks!

Hi, i was wondering where I should put research that was not for any credit but was still done at my university. Should it be under work experience or volunteer work? I would think work but I am not sure. Thanks!

Was it paid? If not, volunteer, I believe. I think that "work experience" constitutes paid work... correct me if I'm wrong please! I was given credit for my school...I placed it under extracurricular.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I was wondering. Should I submit my application early even though I can't send my transcripts in till mid-June when my spring grades come out? Or just wait to submit until my grades come out? I think I asked this already. But I'm also retaking the MCATS this June as well so either way I'm going to have to wait it out till my new scores come in. What should I do? I really want to submit it early since I have to wait for my new mcat score and transcripts, is there no point?

2. In addition, how should we list scholarships/awards that we got several years in a row? Should we list it numerous times??

Thank you!

Put it under volunteer work.

Hi I was wondering. Should I submit my application early even though I can't send my transcripts in till mid-June when my spring grades come out? Or just wait to submit until my grades come out? I think I asked this already. But I'm also retaking the MCATS this June as well so either way I'm going to have to wait it out till my new scores come in. What should I do? I really want to submit it early since I have to wait for my new mcat score and transcripts, is there no point?

2. In addition, how should we list scholarships/awards that we got several years in a row? Should we list it numerous times??

Thank you!

1. Just submit your transcript when the Spring grades are on them (assuming your mid-June prediction is right). It'll still be early. By the time your MCAT score comes in mid-July... your application would almost be done verifying, since it takes a little over a month. During the time your waiting for your application to finish verifying, sent to schools, and receiving secondaries... start pre-writing your secondaries so you can send them out the same day you get them. You can find the essay prompts for each school around SDN, just do a search.

2. For scholarships/awards, make one entry, and in the description put the dates or semesters you received them. Like for Dean's List:

Subject: Dean's List
Description: Dean's List awarded for Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012 semesters

It was to my understanding that I do not HAVE to send AACOMAS transcript request forms along with my transcripts.

Is this true?

It was to my understanding that I do not HAVE to send AACOMAS transcript request forms along with my transcripts.

Is this true?

This is true. Although, I don't see why you wouldn't. It's best to use the form that they recognize the best to avoid any possible complications.

This is true. Although, I don't see why you wouldn't. It's best to use the form that they recognize the best to avoid any possible complications.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
What would I put for name of organization for shadowing a doctor that was not done through an organization?

Hi, I was just in the process of inputting my AP scores from my official transcripts onto the coursework and I realized...the number of units I received for each AP course is not listed: only the total amount is listed. But the score and the number I received for each is listed on my unofficial. Should I just use my amount of units I got for them listed on my unofficial? If so, how would this get verified?

Thank you!

Put it under volunteer work.

1. Just submit your transcript when the Spring grades are on them (assuming your mid-June prediction is right). It'll still be early. By the time your MCAT score comes in mid-July... your application would almost be done verifying, since it takes a little over a month. During the time your waiting for your application to finish verifying, sent to schools, and receiving secondaries... start pre-writing your secondaries so you can send them out the same day you get them. You can find the essay prompts for each school around SDN, just do a search.

2. For scholarships/awards, make one entry, and in the description put the dates or semesters you received them. Like for Dean's List:

Subject: Dean's List
Description: Dean's List awarded for Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012 semesters

Thanks for the reply! But there is no description box for the scholarships/awards/honors inputting area... It only has name, organization, month received and year received. Should I just list a super long name? Or be repetitive..

I have babysat my 2 little nieces for 2 years during my UG, and still do. I babysit about 10 hours a week. Is it appropriate to have this on my med app under community service/volunteer, EVEN IF it was my nieces? Or will this be disregarded because it is family?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I have babysat my 2 little nieces for 2 years during my UG, and still do. I babysit about 10 hours a week. Is it appropriate to have this on my med app under community service/volunteer, EVEN IF it was my nieces? Or will this be disregarded because it is family?

Thank you

I don't think I would include it

What would I put for name of organization for shadowing a doctor that was not done through an organization?

Just put the company he worked for... or the name of the hospital or clinic he worked at when you shadowed him.

Thanks for the reply! But there is no description box for the scholarships/awards/honors inputting area... It only has name, organization, month received and year received. Should I just list a super long name? Or be repetitive..

Ah my bad. Just put the name of the award in one entry... if you got the award multiple years in a row... then just put "[name of award] - 3 semesters" They'll be able to tell the rest from your transcript if it's Dean's List, and if it's an Honors Society, it's self-explanatory from the name.

Thank you

It's like watching your little sibling while the parents are out. Volunteer work? Maybe... but I wouldn't include it in your application.

Hi, I am going to work in a community garden this summer...where would I list that? It's not paid so does it count as volunteer experience?

Initially I volunteered at a research lab. Then the next year I got paid. Because it's the same lab, do you think it would be redundant to state this lab under 'work experience' as well as 'volunteer' using almost same description?

Hi, I am going to work in a community garden this summer...where would I list that? It's not paid so does it count as volunteer experience?

Yes.

Initially I volunteered at a research lab. Then the next year I got paid. Because it's the same lab, do you think it would be redundant to state this lab under 'work experience' as well as 'volunteer' using almost same description?

Yes it would be redundant. List it under Work Experience.

Everyone says you should send in your application to one school early to start the verifying process that takes about a month if waiting on mcat scores/ transcripts.. How can you send the AACOMAS into just one school? On the instructions it says you can't add or subtract schools once you submit? I'm a bit confused as to how to start the verifying process because I will not be receiving my MCAT score until the end of June.

Does anyone know what the MCAT score turn arounds usually are from AAMC??

At the beginning of june, just submit to one school. You can not add while you are verifying. After you are verified, you can add schools no problem.

what is the benefit of applying to one school vs applying to all the schools you were going to apply to, anyway?

People like me are going to do it who take the mcat may 24th, and dont get scores back till june 26th so we have a better idea where we stand before we start blowing money on apps.

Hi

I was wondering when can we submit the applications for application for 2013.

I had to take a 100-level, 1 credit career orientation course through the Bio department at my undergrad. It's required of all bio majors. Would this be counted as non-science?

Does anyone know what the MCAT score turn arounds usually are from AAMC??

Usually a month after you take your MCAT, you'll get your score. I think there's a graph on the AAMC website that shows what day you get your score back for each test day.

Hi

I was wondering when can we submit the applications for application for 2013.

June 1st.

I had to take a 100-level, 1 credit career orientation course through the Bio department at my undergrad. It's required of all bio majors. Would this be counted as non-science?

It would still be considered a science course, since it was through the biology dept.

Brilliant.. thanks so much for clearing that up everyone.. I'm taking the MCAT May 24th as well so wasn't sure what to do with my app until then! I'll just be sure to send it in on June 1st then.. can it be verified without transcripts for spring semester?

Brilliant.. thanks so much for clearing that up everyone.. I'm taking the MCAT May 24th as well so wasn't sure what to do with my app until then! I'll just be sure to send it in on June 1st then.. can it be verified without transcripts for spring semester?

No, it can't be verified without your transcript. Just wait until your transcript is updated with Spring grades (shouldn't be that long after June 1st)... then send it to AACOMAS, and submit. You may not be able to submit AACOMAS on June 1st... but you'll still be very early.

What does it mean by degree month and degree year?

What does it mean by degree month and degree year?

What month/year you graduated and officially received your degree. So if your graduation ceremony was in May 2012, it would be May 2012.

What month/year you graduated and officially received your degree. So if your graduation ceremony was in May 2012, it would be May 2012.

Yes but it says degree EXPECTED/granted. And I am expecting my degree in 2013, which isnt an option. So I'm confused why they let you put in your expected degree and then not have a later graduation date?

EDIT: Oops, I figured it out. Under attendance dates I only put the dates I have attended university, but if I change it to April 2013, then I have the option of picking 2013 in the degree year section.

I had to take an "Interdisciplinary Studies" course - my college required it for all graduates, and it was sectioned according to major. It counted as a BIOL course (and accounting majors had it under ACCT, business BUSI, and so forth) on my transcript. Would this count as a non-science or a science class?

Thanks guys :)

Hey, similar issue here with coursework. Is introduction to celtic studies an ethnic studies course? Because it is also a humanities so does it get classified as behavioral science or other course?

Do we still need to submit LOR to schools individually or is there a better way? AACOMAS doesn't take them like AMCAS does right?

I thought we could use interfolio?

Is it worth the cost? Don't they charge $6 for every LOR to every school? So if you applied to 25 schools, 4 LOR each, you'd pay them $600?

I think its 4-6 weeks but they have a calendar that provides the tentative release dates by testing date on their website

Is there anywhere to enter the minor(s) we received? Should I put it as a second major?

I had to take an "Interdisciplinary Studies" course - my college required it for all graduates, and it was sectioned according to major. It counted as a BIOL course (and accounting majors had it under ACCT, business BUSI, and so forth) on my transcript. Would this count as a non-science or a science class?

Thanks guys :)

I'd put non-science, but you can email AACOMAS and copy/paste the above and they'll tell you what to do.

Hey, similar issue here with coursework. Is introduction to celtic studies an ethnic studies course? Because it is also a humanities so does it get classified as behavioral science or other course?

I'm not sure what the course description is like for a celtic studies class... but I wouldn't classify it as a behavioral science. Maybe "other" or "nonscience".

Do we still need to submit LOR to schools individually or is there a better way? AACOMAS doesn't take them like AMCAS does right?

Yes, you submit LORs to schools individually with the secondary. Interfolio is an incredibly useful tool. See below.

Is it worth the cost? Don't they charge $6 for every LOR to every school? So if you applied to 25 schools, 4 LOR each, you'd pay them $600?

Absolutely worth the cost if you're applying to several schools. Torshi is right about the cost.

Is there anywhere to enter the minor(s) we received? Should I put it as a second major?

Nah. AACOMAS doesn't have a place for entering a minor. Don't worry about it, as minors don't usually count for much. They'll be able to see your minor's course work from your transcript.

If I am getting my transcript evaluated by WES do I have to fill out anything under course work in the application?

Nah. AACOMAS doesn't have a place for entering a minor. Don't worry about it, as minors don't usually count for much. They'll be able to see your minor's course work from your transcript.

Ok thank you.

How do retakes work if the course number/name aren't identical? I retook a handful of classes at a different school, and though any halfway intelligent human being will recognize that the two classes are the same, I don't know if the computer (AACOMAS) will. I haven't started putting in coursework yet, so maybe I'm jumping the gun, but how do we make sure that the C we got and replaced with an A is actually being replaced?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I enter AP credit? After I listed the years I attended college it won't let me pick a year prior to that and enter it as a high school course like AMCAS does. I have three classes that show up on my transcript from AP classes so do I not list them or what?

Never mind, I just found the AP option :p what should I do about the year though? I took the class from 2007-2008, do I just list 2008?

No, it can't be verified without your transcript. Just wait until your transcript is updated with Spring grades (shouldn't be that long after June 1st)... then send it to AACOMAS, and submit. You may not be able to submit AACOMAS on June 1st... but you'll still be very early.

And this is better than submitting on June 1 then resubmitting new transcripts with spring grades? My spring semester ends on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure my grades will be ready before June 1, but just in case I would like to know.