*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scholarships - I don't have much so I was going to list dean's list and a community scholarship I received. For the community one, I received it for 6 quarters but the name is too long include that with the name as well as the University name so I shortened the University name to three letter and put 6 quarters, is that ok?

Would being the scholars program count for something in that portion?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Quick Question: do Clinical Micro, Clinical biochem, clinical hematology, clinical cell and tissue belong in the biology section? Because my counselor said they do not count for sGPA in AAMC, but I don't know about AACOMAS. I filled them in as "other-science". I'm not sure if I can even fix it if i was wrong.

I just used my best judgement on things that weren't covered in the AACOMAS instructions. Looking back, I made Medical Pharmacology an "Other Science" but easily could've (and probably should've) made it Bio. Then again, "Intro to Computing" somehow counted as Math because it was a Computer Science listing :laugh:

Think about the course contents and whether you'd be able to theoretically defend your classification. If it's really far off, AACOMAS will probably just make the change for you.

I just used my best judgement on things that weren't covered in the AACOMAS instructions. Looking back, I made Medical Pharmacology an "Other Science" but easily could've (and probably should've) made it Bio. Then again, "Intro to Computing" somehow counted as Math because it was a Computer Science listing :laugh:

Think about the course contents and whether you'd be able to theoretically defend your classification. If it's really far off, AACOMAS will probably just make the change for you.

+1
Sound advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to wait for your primary app to be processed before you start sending letters out?

Do you have to wait for your primary app to be processed before you start sending letters out?

No. My pre-med advisor sent out my letters in mid may! I thought she was nuts, but I guess the schools just take things like that and set them aside in a file for you. I really don't know how it works for sure, but go ahead and send those letters.

Just found out that my application submission in July never went through. I called 3 times back then and kept being told the system is having issues and it will get updated soon. Now they tell me my application hasn't been verified because I never clicked submit even though I remember that night as clear as I do last night and I submitted my application to 3 schools with the fee waiver. Is there even a point to bother applying now and risking reapplicant status for next year or just wait a cycle and apply next year?

I submitted my primary AACOMAS on 09/24 and still have not been verified. Should I be concerned? What is the current lead time on verification?

I've already submitted my primary with an MCAT score on file and indicated I was retaking the test in September. Since my MCAT ID is already on file does it automatically send the score or do I have to send my new score when it comes out.

I submitted my primary AACOMAS on 09/24 and still have not been verified. Should I be concerned? What is the current lead time on verification?

Couldn't say what it currently is, but it's usually around up to 4 weeks. I'd wait a bit before freaking out.

I've already submitted my primary with an MCAT score on file and indicated I was retaking the test in September. Since my MCAT ID is already on file does it automatically send the score or do I have to send my new score when it comes out.

Not sure if it will be automatic or not. Either way, it would be easy to go to the new MCAT score and release it to AACOMAS once it's on there.

I dont know what the current wait time, but it can usually take around 4 weeks. As the dude advised, I would wait a bit before worrying about it.

Just found out that my application submission in July never went through. I called 3 times back then and kept being told the system is having issues and it will get updated soon. Now they tell me my application hasn't been verified because I never clicked submit even though I remember that night as clear as I do last night and I submitted my application to 3 schools with the fee waiver. Is there even a point to bother applying now and risking reapplicant status for next year or just wait a cycle and apply next year?

First of all, nobody can ever tell you for sure if you'll get in somewhere or what your chances are. That being said, it is possible to outline generalities in the application process. In order to give any kind of advice more info would be helpful such as GPA, MCAT, LOR, EC's, etc.
most schools use rolling admissions, meaning they fill up seats as they interview. I know many schools are currently giving out interview invitations for December and January. Those interviews could POSSIBLY be for waitlist positions, and not admittance right away.
Bottom line, regardless of your stats, is it possible to submit the primary now and get in somewhere this cycle? absolutely. Is it likely? Not so sure.
Are you wanting to get in to a specific school? Are there things you can do to beef up your application for next cycle? If it were me, I may just find some more classes to take, more docs to shadow, more things that I'm interested in volunteering in, refine and perfect my personal statement and even pre-write secondaries and then apply on the first available day next year.
Honestly, one year won't make that huge of a difference in the long run, but taking the extra time can save you some money, stress, and even get you into a specific school.
PLEASE, take this advice with a grain of salt. Like I said, you could still get in this cycle.

I dont know what the current wait time, but it can usually take around 4 weeks. As the dude advised, I would wait a bit before worrying about it.

Whoa, at first when I read your post I was like, "why did my post get put in as by iheartnachos?" Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I went to community college and did not get the best grades there. I am entering the grades as they appear on my transcripts but want to make sure I designate Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior correctly. Do I count withdrawn classes or failed classes toward the total semester hours completed when designating my academic status? I ask this question because under each semester there is an "earned credit units" section and it looks like the classes I bombed or dropped out of are not included in this calculation. Ex: attempted 13 credit units in one semester and failed a 3 credit class so the total earned credits is 10. So my total "attempted" credit hours add up to more than my total "earned" credit hours and I want to make sure I break the semester hours down the right way according to the aacomas instructions. Any clarification would be great. thanks

I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I went to community college and did not get the best grades there. I am entering the grades as they appear on my transcripts but want to make sure I designate Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior correctly. Do I count withdrawn classes or failed classes toward the total semester hours completed when designating my academic status? I ask this question because under each semester there is an "earned credit units" section and it looks like the classes I bombed or dropped out of are not included in this calculation. Ex: attempted 13 credit units in one semester and failed a 3 credit class so the total earned credits is 10. So my total "attempted" credit hours add up to more than my total "earned" credit hours and I want to make sure I break the semester hours down the right way according to the aacomas instructions. Any clarification would be great. thanks

I think it's according to attempted credit hours. Do the instructions not say anything specific about that? If not, I'd definitely call AACOMAS (or send them a message through your application page) and ask them. Good luck!

RE: Grade Replacement

I retook Biology II at my university a few years after not doing so well in it. What is strange however is that the first time I took it, the class was worth 4 credits and the lab worth 1 credit. Now the course is 3 credits and the lab remains at 1 credit.

It is the same exact class with the same exact course description and even the same instructor. Nothing has changed except how many credits it is worth. I have a suspicion AACOMAS will replace the first attempt but probably only if I appeal it.

Any thoughts?

RE: Grade Replacement

I retook Biology II at my university a few years after not doing so well in it. What is strange however is that the first time I took it, the class was worth 4 credits and the lab worth 1 credit. Now the course is 3 credits and the lab remains at 1 credit.

It is the same exact class with the same exact course description and even the same instructor. Nothing has changed except how many credits it is worth. I have a suspicion AACOMAS will replace the first attempt but probably only if I appeal it.

Any thoughts?

Weird. Definitely write AACOMAS about it.

You're in the beginning of week 4, and AACOMAS says it can take 4-6 weeks. You're in the thicker part of the app cycle now, so it'll probably be close to six weeks (mine took exactly six weeks). Nothing to worry about yet.

No. My pre-med advisor sent out my letters in mid may! I thought she was nuts, but I guess the schools just take things like that and set them aside in a file for you. I really don't know how it works for sure, but go ahead and send those letters.

+1. It's not like they get them and throw them in the trash if you don't have an application in. And if you're doing electronic distribution (Interfolio, VirtualEvals, etc) then hey, there is no trash.

Do you have confirmation e-mails from AACOMAS? Were you checking the application page on a regular basis? Submission to verification is supposed to take no longer than six weeks, so I'm wondering how you went from July to just now finding out nothing was submitted.

Last edited:
What's the current wait for verification if submitted around September 20th?

I submitted a week before you and got verified Friday. So check everyday :)

After verification, will DO schools email us secondaries? or should we contact the schools? how long after verification will we start to hear from schools?

After verification, will DO schools email us secondaries? or should we contact the schools? how long after verification will we start to hear from schools?

It takes roughly another week to be released, although I started getting secondaries a day or two before it was official.

My school (Ohio State University) underwent a semeseter conversion this year. Is this going to be tricky when filling out my grades section?

Hi all.. these are some classes I have taken and I'm wondering if these classes would count in the science GPA for DO schools:
1) http://foodscience.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/courses/fst-3
2) http://foodscience.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/courses/fst-10

and 3) nutrition 10:
Discoveries and Concepts in Nutrition
Nutrition as a science; historical development of nutrition concepts; properties of nutrients and foods.

Thank you for any input!
eerienp

I don't think so, but I had a friend take a nutrition and food science biochem equivalent and that counted for BIOCHEM

I had quite a few psych courses count as bio because they were bio heavy. It seems that I was told that for AMCAS they would work but not for ACOMAS. If you feel it is bio heavy classify it as that and if they move it back they move it back.

Try it. I had an Intro to Computing course count as math just because it was offered by the Computer Science department. The course was literally just learning about PC components and using Office 2003.

Sorry -- I guess part of my confusion here is I've never used AACOMAS. Do you enter each course and then mark it as Science or Non-Science?

i thought nutrition it was listed as other science on AACOMAS, meaning it is counted as science

My nutrition class that I took counted as science. Anything with nutrition in the name you could probably list as science and be fine.

Those food science courses will not IMO.

Thanks for the replies. How come the food science classes wouldn't count though?

The first one, among other things, covers "...a) the relevance of plant physiology and agronomy in respect of selection and cultivation of barley and hops; (b) an outline of the chemical composition of barley and hops and the significance for malting and brewing; (c) an explanation of the biochemical and chemical conversions occurring during malting and brewing; (d) an understanding of the relevance of yeast cell structure and metabolism to the production of consistent beer;..."

And the second is "concerned with the nutritional composition of food" and covers: "...Sugars, natural & synthetic sweeteners, Food fiber; complex and plant carbohydrates, Animal & plant fats & oils; polyunsaturated and essential fatty acids, Animal & plant proteins; enzymes; essential & limiting amino acids..."

Just try it. My basic food science course counted as "other science."

Just try it. My basic food science course counted as "other science."

Sorry -- I haven't seen AACOMAS or anything before so I don't know exactly how it works. Do you simply mark each class as science or not? If they change it, do you get in trouble?

Thanks!

In the Osteopathic med school application, are college coursework taken in high school calculated in the GPA that is calculated?

I took graded college courses as a junior/senior in high school and i want to know how they factor into my AACOM GPA, as well as my AMCAS GPA.

Thanks! :) :luck:

i took college classes since I was 16, they counted in my gpa for AACOM

Sorry -- I haven't seen AACOMAS or anything before so I don't know exactly how it works. Do you simply mark each class as science or not? If they change it, do you get in trouble?

Thanks!

Go start aacomas application. I promise it will be self explanatory

Apply early. You'll be able to enter "planned coursework" for summer and fall. Send them the transcript when you have new grades and they'll update it. If the coursework changes from what you listed on the app, they'll also make that adjustment for you

Can I submit my application in early June and then submit my summer retake grades in August. Should I just wait to apply in August? Or can I apply early, retake my classes over the summer, and then send my new grades later? Which option would be better?

I will already be retaking one of three courses next semester. But want to retake two more over the summer.

Apply early. You'll be able to enter "planned coursework" for summer and fall. Send them the transcript when you have new grades and they'll update it. If the coursework changes from what you listed on the app, they'll also make that adjustment for you

If you have a low GPA and the new classes will result in significant improvement, it is better to submit in August than submit in June with your low GPA.

Can I submit my application in early June and then submit my summer retake grades in August. Should I just wait to apply in August? Or can I apply early, retake my classes over the summer, and then send my new grades later? Which option would be better?

I will already be retaking one of three courses next semester. But want to retake two more over the summer.
Have your application ready and done before August and submit the new transcripts before it's sent off.

Yea it should improve pretty significantly. I'll wait till the end of July to early August to send it in then. Hope that's not too late :/

It's still early.

But I am not applying till June 2013... can I start one now?

If you're not applying until next June, relax and focus on school (if you haven't graduated yet), enjoy winter break, and enjoy your summer. You'll have plenty of time to worry about this application in June, and before you know it the application process will take over your life.

Edit: but yes, if you must you can go to the aacomas website and just look at the format without actually filling it out.

Is taking MCAT in September (get scores back in October, verified mid November) be too late to apply to this year's cycle? I noticed most of the deadlines are in January/February for 2013?

Is taking MCAT in September (get scores back in October, verified mid November) be too late to apply to this year's cycle? I noticed most of the deadlines are in January/February for 2013?

So you already took the MCAT, and were ready to apply last November but haven't yet or want to apply for the cycle beginng in June/July of 2013? Sorry just trying to get a grasp at what timeframe you are asking about.