*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

Sep 5, 2011
Oregon
So you already took the MCAT, and were ready to apply last November but haven't yet or want to apply for the cycle beginng in June/July of 2013? Sorry just trying to get a grasp at what timeframe you are asking about.

Oh sorry, I typed in the wrong dates. Current 3rd year undergrad wanting to apply for the cycle beginning summer 2013, but realized that the deadline for schools are in January/February 2014 for entry into Fall 2014. I was wondering if it was too late to take the MCAT (for the first time) September 2013 to stand an okay chance? Hoping to maximize the summer studying.

Apr 18, 2012
Joplin, MO
Status
  1. Medical Student
Oh sorry, I typed in the wrong dates. Current 3rd year undergrad wanting to apply for the cycle beginning summer 2013, but realized that the deadline for schools are in January/February 2014 for entry into Fall 2014. I was wondering if it was too late to take the MCAT (for the first time) September 2013 to stand an okay chance? Hoping to maximize the summer studying.

Ah I see. My app was verified in early August but I didn't get the DO physician to complete my LOR till almost December. Sent out my primary that week and got a secondary from nearly every school. The deadline for most secondaries is around March 1st. I interview end of January and got accepted to KCOM last week. My older brother followed almost the exact timeframe and received an acceptance as well. So, that being said it is in your best interest to complete and send everything off as early as possible. Most schools do rolling admission so it improves you chances of getting accepted. However, it is still very possible to get accepted with a later timeframe. Just make sure you rock the MCAT so you won't have to retake it. Also, the app can take longer than just a month to be verified. You can do that before you recieve your MCAT scores. I did this and had the scores sent following my primary application submission. If ya need anymore advice or have any more questions you can PM me.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Podiatry

September 2013 is way too late for the June 2013 cycle.

About the Ads
Apr 18, 2012
Joplin, MO
Status
  1. Medical Student
September 2013 is way too late for the June 2013 cycle.

I disagree. It would be better if the MCAT was taken earlier. Using the three or four month study plan on here is a great idea. But if they are unable to work with it and September is the only time they can do it to achieve a good score, than no. It's not too late. The app can be submitted prior to obtaining the MCAT score for verification. Plenty of people have been moderately late in the game and received an acceptance.

Xlorgguss

Eleganza Extravaganza
Oct 14, 2012
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have a question for grade replacement. I know that osteopathic schools will look at the replaced grades no problem and that they can be done at a different school-fine. But my problem is that I had three classes transfer into my 4 year from community college. Unfortunately I got D's in all three, so naturally I would like to re-take them. The classes are Business Statistics, Financial Accounting, and Pre-Calculus. The only problem is that at my 4 year all three of those courses are 3 credit hours each whereas at CC they were all transferred as 4 credits (and I got 4 credits). So the question is if I retake some (or all of the classes) would that be a direct grade replacement? I don't see why the courses would be any different than my other ones. I am desperately trying to get my GPA up after some terrible semesters but this is a pretty sucky situation. I want to be able to graduate in 3 more semesters and I have 48 credits to go. With wanting to re-take some classes that doesn't give me credits that go towards graduation though. It's just frustrating because I am already a semester behind, I really don't want to make it a year. With working full-time it just seems like a daunting task. I am more than willing to take advantage of winter and summer sessions if I can. The only issue is my undergrad doesn't offer many summer classes. Any help would be appreciated. =\

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Podiatry
I have a question for grade replacement. I know that osteopathic schools will look at the replaced grades no problem and that they can be done at a different school-fine. But my problem is that I had three classes transfer into my 4 year from community college. Unfortunately I got D's in all three, so naturally I would like to re-take them. The classes are Business Statistics, Financial Accounting, and Pre-Calculus. The only problem is that at my 4 year all three of those courses are 3 credit hours each whereas at CC they were all transferred as 4 credits (and I got 4 credits). So the question is if I retake some (or all of the classes) would that be a direct grade replacement? I don't see why the courses would be any different than my other ones. I am desperately trying to get my GPA up after some terrible semesters but this is a pretty sucky situation. I want to be able to graduate in 3 more semesters and I have 48 credits to go. With wanting to re-take some classes that doesn't give me credits that go towards graduation though. It's just frustrating because I am already a semester behind, I really don't want to make it a year. With working full-time it just seems like a daunting task. I am more than willing to take advantage of winter and summer sessions if I can. The only issue is my undergrad doesn't offer many summer classes. Any help would be appreciated. =\

You'd have to retake them at the CC or another school that is 4+ credits.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Podiatry
I disagree. It would be better if the MCAT was taken earlier. Using the three or four month study plan on here is a great idea. But if they are unable to work with it and September is the only time they can do it to achieve a good score, than no. It's not too late. The app can be submitted prior to obtaining the MCAT score for verification. Plenty of people have been moderately late in the game and received an acceptance.

Sure, but a good score isn't guaranteed in September. If you get a bad score you've wasted a ton of money on primary apps and probably secondaries as well.

Apr 18, 2012
Joplin, MO
Status
  1. Medical Student
Sure, but a good score isn't guaranteed in September. If you get a bad score you've wasted a ton of money on primary apps and probably secondaries as well.

True, primary money may be lost. But there is no guarantee of a good score at any point. The secondaries can't be submitted until the MCAT scores are received, so no money lost there. Again, I stated it is not ideal. However, if that is the best/only way they are able to do it than great. They still have more than decent odds at getting an acceptance. In the end it is only a suggestion and encouragement. It is your discretion if you choose to degrade it to less than that.

Last edited:

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Podiatry
True, primary money may be lost. But there is no guarantee of a good score at any point. The secondaries can't be submitted until the MCAT scores are received, so no money lost there. Again, I stated it is not ideal. However, if that is the best/only way they are able to do it than great. They still have more than decent odds at getting an acceptance. In the end it is only a suggestion and encouragement. It is your discretion if you choose to degrade it to less than that.

You can submit secondaries without MCAT scores.

Anyway, you don't need to spend the whole summer studying for the MCAT. Unless you have abnormal time commitments during the school year, it is very possible to work efficient MCAT studying into your day to day schedule and take it late spring/early summer. At least that's the trend with pre-meds at my undergrad and most of my friends and classmates did just fine (29-39).

Last edited:

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Hmm, any secondary I submitted had the verified MCAT score as part of the secondary checklist. So, it is possible that some schools don't require it, but I would find this strange.

Many schools send secondaries to everyone they receive a verified application from. Perhaps this is less common for DO than MD though.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
Mar 13, 2012
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hmm, any secondary I submitted had the verified MCAT score as part of the secondary checklist. So, it is possible that some schools don't require it, but I would find this strange.

I think what he is saying is that you can submit the secondary application (and the fee) before MCAT scores are sent (which is true in many cases if you indicate you are going to take it in the primary), however your secondary application will not be complete until your MCAT scores are submitted as they are a part of the secondary checklist. Again though, you would have already submitted the fee before knowing the MCAT, so it is possible to lose both.

Dark Ace

5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2012
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi sdn,

I have a couple of questions regarding AACOMAS.

1. Do you guys think that the more credits we have, the longer it takes for the app to get verified?

2. When we do an update, such as after fall, doesn't that mean that the app has to get re-verified again? I am confused about how the update works and was hoping someone who has been through the process could enlighten me.

Thanks everyone!

About the Ads
Jun 25, 2013
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I am still new to posting at StudentDoctor, but I have a question regarding the AACOMAS application. Would you say that we can include athletic honors under scholarships and such?

Astharia

OB1gynobi
Dec 2, 2012
Iowa
Status
  1. Medical Student
This may be a stupid question, but when do you sign up for an AACOMAS account online to start your application? I'm worried that I'm getting behind on something.

May 28, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
This may be a stupid question, but when do you sign up for an AACOMAS account online to start your application? I'm worried that I'm getting behind on something.

How far ahead should you start the AACOMAS application? Should it be the year before you're looking to attend DO school?

You can't actually start to fill in your AACOMAS app until they open it sometime next late spring. Unless you're applying really late for this cycle...

Nov 13, 2013
You can't actually start to fill in your AACOMAS app until they open it sometime next late spring. Unless you're applying really late for this cycle...

Thanks! I know I will be taking the MCAT next year but am not looking to apply until fall 2015. I'm just getting a timeline going for me. So hopefully no surprises! Thanks again

Astharia

OB1gynobi
Dec 2, 2012
Iowa
Status
  1. Medical Student

So... if applying fall of '16 cycle... start to fill out AACOMAS app sometime in '15, maybe summer/fall?

That seems so far away, someone tell me time passes faster than I realize!

May 28, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
So... if applying fall of '16 cycle... start to fill out AACOMAS app sometime in '15, maybe summer/fall?

That seems so far away, someone tell me time passes faster than I realize!
No, if you are applying in 2016, you won't be able to start your application until spring of 2016.
It may be a good idea to open a "dummy" account in 2015 and begin to fill out the application. That way you know what info to gather and can start working on your wording etc. Then, in 2016 when they open the application process in the spring, you can mostly cut and paste from your dummy account.

bball4

7+ Year Member
May 7, 2013
Status
I am running into major trouble here, I am in a hurry to finish AACOMAS and submit. I am working in finishing my PS and working on the "work section" and I'm running into trouble when it comes to the work "description" 750 character limit.
I really have shortened my job description to the minimum and still have not room enough to fit my conference presentation, 3 posters and publication. I am using the usual format:

John Doe, Sammy Sosa, Cristiano Ronaldo, TXKnight..".Characteristics and magnitude of SDN users as compared to other premedical students, 2000–2008.".PNAS .December 31, 2020, vol. 300, no. 50, pg 1-5..

How in the world did you fit the bare minimum you needed for all the things you accomplished in the description: did you use multiple entries for each publication,etc? did you just mentioned the fact you got published ,presented in conference or whatever without proof?

PLEASE HELP!

any idea is welcome!

Hey @TXKnight , was wondering how you ended up citing your poster presentations in the Activities section?

annabelle17

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2011
Status
  1. Medical Student
So in the AMCAS, you can put abstracts and papers as part of your activities. Is there a way to do that in the AACOMAS applications?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads