*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
should i put shadowing in the EC/volunteer/service area of aacomas?
Also should i include contact information for all my EC's such as volunteer work etc

Members don't see this ad.

should i put shadowing in the EC/volunteer/service area of aacomas?
Also should i include contact information for all my EC's such as volunteer work etc

Yes, put shadowing under EC/Volunteer/service

No, you don't need to include contact information.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 quick questions.
1) We have to enter in our grades for every course online even though we're sending in our transcripts?
2) What's the process for sending in LOR's? I can't really seem to find any concrete info. I'm only applying to MSUCOM for admission next year.

1. Yeah, almost positive. You have to put all your classes in your application so they can cross-check it with all your transcripts.

2. Most people use Interfolio since they apply to multiple schools. It makes life significantly easier.

However, since you're only applying to MSUCOM, just ask your letter writers to send their letters directly to the school's admissions office.

1. Yeah, almost positive. You have to put all your classes in your application so they can cross-check it with all your transcripts.

2. Most people use Interfolio since they apply to multiple schools. It makes life significantly easier.

However, since you're only applying to MSUCOM, just ask your letter writers to send their letters directly to the school's admissions office.

Since for the courses section i listed the year I will graduate obv "2013", do I leave the intended classes I plan to take for my last two semesters blank right since there are no grades or definite possibility if i take those certain courses?

Should I send my transcripts before I submit, or after?

Since for the courses section i listed the year I will graduate obv "2013", do I leave the intended classes I plan to take for my last two semesters blank right since there are no grades or definite possibility if i take those certain courses?

I'm pretty sure you should just go ahead and put your intended classes as well.

Should I send my transcripts before I submit, or after?

Before. AACOMAS needs to receive your transcript before you're allowed to submit.

Is anybody else astonished that AAMC doesn't charge you to send your MCAT scores to AACOMAS?

Maybe that would be a monopoly... (I'm sure they would if they could)

Is anybody else astonished that AAMC doesn't charge you to send your MCAT scores to AACOMAS?

Maybe that would be a monopoly... (I'm sure they would if they could)

They probably do. It's just hidden in everyone's $250 test taking fee. It's kind of like how everyone with health insurance helps pay for the cost of people without insurance who show up to the ED and never pay their bill.

I'm pretty sure you should just go ahead and put your intended classes as well.

Before. AACOMAS needs to receive your transcript before you're allowed to submit.
Are you sure about this? I don't see it anywhere in the instructions. Do you mean verify, or actually submit?

Are you sure about this? I don't see it anywhere in the instructions. Do you mean verify, or actually submit?

Submit. The verification process includes your transcript, but your AACOMAS isn't "complete" and therefore cannot be submitted until they receive your transcript. Of course, you can wait until June 1 or whatever the official date is for AACOMAS and then have your transcripts sent :)

Look on the right side of the main page of your application. You'll see something like "Transcript Received". You can't submit your application until there's a green check mark next to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we submit it, even though our MCAT scores aren't in yet? I won't be getting them until like 6/20.

I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

Hmm, but I don't think residents have their own letter pad

Can we submit it, even though our MCAT scores aren't in yet? I won't be getting them until like 6/20.

You CAN submit without an MCAT score, but you CANNOT submit without a transcript. So yes, you can submit even if your MCAT scores aren't in. :)

You CAN submit without an MCAT score, but you CANNOT submit without a transcript. So yes, you can submit even if your MCAT scores aren't in. :)
Thanks for the replies. Is that transcript request form really necessary? I won't be able to do so for my school, because my campus and the campus where these transcripts are mailed from are pretty far from each other.

Thanks for the replies. Is that transcript request form really necessary? I won't be able to do so for my school, because my campus and the campus where these transcripts are mailed from are pretty far from each other.

You don't need to use the AACOMAS transcript request form. However, you can just fax the form to the school, and call the registrar to tell them to be on the lookout for the AACOMAS form.

But people have ignored using the form and AACOMAS managed to receive their transcripts successfully.

Aw damn it, my Spring Semester transcript won't be available to be mailed until May 28.

I don't know why you wouldn't use the AACOMAS request form. It's less work than any other method of getting an official transcript.

I don't know why you wouldn't use the AACOMAS request form. It's less work than any other method of getting an official transcript.
My school uses a 3rd party that has AACOM & AMCAS' addresses on file online. I just lick the name of the institution, and have it sent. That's it.

What should we put for prefix and number, if we're trying to identify AP credit. My school just lumped it up into one "transfer total" box.

What should we put for prefix and number, if we're trying to identify AP credit. My school just lumped it up into one "transfer total" box.
Personally, I'd just mark it based on the subject like your school does it (CHEM, BIOL, etc.) and just put 000. When you mark it as "AP" on the right, they'll catch your drift.

Personally, I'd just mark it based on the subject like your school does it (CHEM, BIOL, etc.) and just put 000. When you mark it as "AP" on the right, they'll catch your drift.
My school doesn't mark it as anything. Just "Transfer Total".

When describing individual jobs should I be writing what I learned from the experience or just what my responsibilities were? Besides the job I have now I only worked in non-medical settings.

When describing individual jobs should I be writing what I learned from the experience or just what my responsibilities were? Besides the job I have now I only worked in non-medical settings.

No need to put what you learned. Just put what your responsibilities were.

No need to put what you learned. Just put what your responsibilities were.

Ok thanks. Does it matter what order we enter activities into AACOMAS? I know AMCAS likes to have them put in chronological order, but does AACOMAS do it automatically?

Also, what did you all put for "Position Title" when you shadowed?

Ok thanks. Does it matter what order we enter activities into AACOMAS? I know AMCAS likes to have them put in chronological order, but does AACOMAS do it automatically?

Also, what did you all put for "Position Title" when you shadowed?

Nah, it doesn't matter what order you enter it in. AACOMAS will sort it out using the start date info.

For position title, I just put: "Shadowed Dr. _______, D.O."

Nah, it doesn't matter what order you enter it in. AACOMAS will sort it out using the start date info.

For position title, I just put: "Shadowed Dr. _______, D.O."

Ok thanks

Were you ever the recipient of any action for unacceptable academic performance, or were you ever the recipient of any action for conduct violations by any college or school?

I was put on academic probation because my GPA sucked. I'm assuming I have to check yes for this, right?

How should I go about describing it on AACOMAS? Should I explain why my grades sucked or just state that my GPA was low and therefore I was placed on academic probation?

Also I read something a few pages ago about not entering multiple Dean's list awards, but instead putting all the dates on the same entry. How do I do that? AACOMAS only lets you put one month/one year per award..

Last edited:
I was put on academic probation because my GPA sucked. I'm assuming I have to check yes for this, right?

How should I go about describing it on AACOMAS? Should I explain why my grades sucked or just state that my GPA was low and therefore I was placed on academic probation?

Also I read something a few pages ago about not entering multiple Dean's list awards, but instead putting all the dates on the same entry. How do I do that? AACOMAS only lets you put one month/one year per award..

Not sure about the academic probation stuff... but for the Dean's list, just put the start/end date as the range of the awards... so if you got it Fall 2009, Spring 2010, and Spring 2012... but the start date as December 2009, and end date as May 2012. Then in the description, put: Dean's list awarded for Fall 2009, Spring 2010, and Spring 2012 semesters.

Not sure about the academic probation stuff... but for the Dean's list, just put the start/end date as the range of the awards... so if you got it Fall 2009, Spring 2010, and Spring 2012... but the start date as December 2009, and end date as May 2012. Then in the description, put: Dean's list awarded for Fall 2009, Spring 2010, and Spring 2012 semesters.

There's no range. It just says Month/Year Awarded. There's also no box for descriptions.

ZEMSw.jpg

There's no range. It just says Month/Year Awarded. There's also no box for descriptions.

ZEMSw.jpg

Oh yeah, my bad. Just put the first date you received it, then for title, put "Dean's List - 3 semesters"

I just put multiple records of the dean's list. Should I change that?

May seem like the a very stupid question but when listing attendance dates for my school. Do i put the dates from when i started to present or do I put when I will graduate (next spring)?

Any 4/5 MCATers have their scores verified by AACOMAS yet?

Sorry if this was answered already but can I send in the transcripts prior to filling in all my grades or do I have to fill in all the classes online first?

Also, I took Organic Chemistry at another school that had 1 credit labs for both orgo 1 and orgo 2. If I failed the labs and retook the lecture and lab at a school that has a 2 credit lab for orgo 2 only. How could I use grade replacement for this?

Previous school I attended had trimesters. Current school has semesters. Due to health reasons I went back and forth between the two schools so have broken dates of attendance. How do I enter this on to the application? Do I enter the same school twice with dates for each attendance?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If I list my planned courses for Fall 2012 which also include some re-take would the schools hold my application until those grades are received? meaning in Dec?

Sorry if this was answered already but can I send in the transcripts prior to filling in all my grades or do I have to fill in all the classes online first?

Also, I took Organic Chemistry at another school that had 1 credit labs for both orgo 1 and orgo 2. If I failed the labs and retook the lecture and lab at a school that has a 2 credit lab for orgo 2 only. How could I use grade replacement for this?

Previous school I attended had trimesters. Current school has semesters. Due to health reasons I went back and forth between the two schools so have broken dates of attendance. How do I enter this on to the application? Do I enter the same school twice with dates for each attendance?

Thanks.
Should be no problem to grade replace as the retake units are >= original. I don't know how to designate them on the application, but I'm thinking "R01" and "R01" for the lecture/lab of the first time and "L01" for the combined lecture/lab.

I had the AAMC send my MCAT score to AACOMAS about a month ago, and entered my AAMC ID into AACOMAS about a week ago, but AACOMAS still does not display any official MCAT score. Any ideas?

Also, about LOR's. Will most schools keep your app on hold until you have them submitted. Even then, I should be fine as long as I have them in around July when my AACOMAS is verified, right? (I plan on submitting in June)

I had the AAMC send my MCAT score to AACOMAS about a month ago, and entered my AAMC ID into AACOMAS about a week ago, but AACOMAS still does not display any official MCAT score. Any ideas?

Also, about LOR's. Will most schools keep your app on hold until you have them submitted. Even then, I should be fine as long as I have them in around July when my AACOMAS is verified, right? (I plan on submitting in June)
1. Check AAMC to see if it has been released, if so call AACOMAS and see whats going on.
2. Yes if you have them in July you will be fine, but you are correct your application will not be complete until you have submitted them (for most schools except LECOM)

Regarding Work vs Extracurriculars

I have been doing research and after winning a 'creative research award' which is basically a stipend... do I now put research in BOTH work and ECs? or just leave it in ECs, while mentioning the award?

It would go in your ECs and then there is a section for Awards and Honors, talk a bit about you 'creative research award'

So how does the reference letter stuff work? I'm using Interfolio now since i'm applying to a few schools. Do I have to wait until I submit my application to get my profs to send in their letters? And how do they submit them?

There's multiple ways that interfolio allows them to submit (electronically, actually writing the letter on the interfolio website, and snail mail). Have those letter writers get those in as soon as they are done, you don't need the anxiety of waiting on a letter writer for your app to finish... And submit your primary as soon as your are done, you won't submit LORs until you are sending in your secondaries.

I had the same problem with the MCAT verification and I just e-mailed AACOMAS asking if I needed to resubmit them. They answered within a few hours saying that they were received and posted them that day.

If I was paid a stipend by a program for research, list as work or EC?

Hey guys got a quick question,
Under what subtitle should I enter certifications...(ACLS, BLS, CNA license)??