*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edit: nvm i don't know why i just didn't ask aacomas directly. message sent.

I took a class that was 8 units, as opposed to the usual 4 in my quarter system school. It is listed in three parts, the last of which I do not understand. You'll see what I mean in a moment. It was a humanities class, and one grade corresponds to the exams that were administered, and the other the essays that we wrote.

Here is how it appears in my transcript: (Class title, discipline/school, the code, and number of units)

HUMAN CORE WRT S/A HUMAN 1AS/A 4.0
HUMAN CORE LEC S/A HUMAN 1AS/A 4.0
HUMAN CORE WRT S/A HUMAN 1AS/A 2.0*
*Workload credit only; does not apply toward graduation.

Is this something I should ask my school? What the hell is "workload credit"? How should I list it on the application?

yeah :<

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump and how do I enter AP credits?

The instructions that are given are very confusing. What do I put for grade?

Bump and how do I enter AP credits?

The instructions that are given are very confusing. What do I put for grade?

I was wondering the same thing. Am I supposed to enter my high school as an institution attended?

Also, I spent a gap year abroad as a high-school exchange student. This was after I graduated high-school. I didn't apply for or receive any transfer credit. I received "grades" but they never went on any kind of official transcript. Am I safe reporting this as extra-curricular and not reporting it as an institution attended?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do science based Psych, or Neuro courses count towards your science GPA? I know at my university courses such as Perception, Biological Foundations of Behaviour, and Human Neuropsyc are considered science courses although they are listed as in psyc. I'm not sure how that translates to the schools though?

Do science based Psych, or Neuro courses count towards your science GPA? I know at my university courses such as Perception, Biological Foundations of Behaviour, and Human Neuropsyc are considered science courses although they are listed as in psyc. I'm not sure how that translates to the schools though?
If they help your GPA, list them as science. If AACOMAS doesn't accept them, they'll just switch them to behavioral science units.

I would venture to say that they won't count for science credit due to the fact they are listed in your university's catalog as psych.

I would venture to say that they won't count for science credit due to the fact they are listed in your university's catalog as psych.
You think if they were listed as Neuro they would count for science?

I was wondering the same thing. Am I supposed to enter my high school as an institution attended?

Also, I spent a gap year abroad as a high-school exchange student. This was after I graduated high-school. I didn't apply for or receive any transfer credit. I received "grades" but they never went on any kind of official transcript. Am I safe reporting this as extra-curricular and not reporting it as an institution attended?

i just realized.

ask aacomas for such detailed or unusual questions.

You think if they were listed as Neuro they would count for science?
I doubt it. Was it taught by the psych department or the biology department? If it was taught by the psych then it will be a behavioral science.

Q: "The instructions for AP classes are a bit confusing. My transcript doesn't show a grade for the AP classes I took. Do I just leave grades blank? What about prefix? Do I leave that blank, too?"

A: "You select "Advanced Placement" for AACOMAS grade. You are unable to leave the prefix box blank so use your best judgement in entering information.

Thank you."

I was put on academic probation because my GPA sucked. I'm assuming I have to check yes for this, right?

How should I go about describing it on AACOMAS? Should I explain why my grades sucked or just state that my GPA was low and therefore I was placed on academic probation?

I also was put on academic probation for 1 quarter due to poor grades my Freshman year, is it required to describe this?

I am planning on taking a class over summer. Should I write that I am planning on taking this and submit my transcripts? Or will planning on taking a class over the summer prevent ADCOMS from looking at my application, as they would wait to see my summer grade?

Finally, when talking about updates, I know that people have updated their grades and MCAT score with ease, and others have talked about adding hours to extracurricular activities...Can you also update your personal statement if you only applied to one school to begin with? Or does this not happen at all?

I volunteered with two different areas of the same hospital (patient transportation and ICU), should I combine these two experiences as one volunteer experience in that section on AACOMAS or should I list them separately?

I also was put on academic probation for 1 quarter due to poor grades my Freshman year, is it required to describe this?

I am planning on taking a class over summer. Should I write that I am planning on taking this and submit my transcripts? Or will planning on taking a class over the summer prevent ADCOMS from looking at my application, as they would wait to see my summer grade?

Finally, when talking about updates, I know that people have updated their grades and MCAT score with ease, and others have talked about adding hours to extracurricular activities...Can you also update your personal statement if you only applied to one school to begin with? Or does this not happen at all?

I'm going to describe it. It's not like not "claiming" it can work in your favor since it is on your transcript and the ADCOMs will see it. I'm going to explain it, mention that I retook some of the classes, and also mention my upward trend. My only time on academic probation was my first year of college and my GPA has gone up every semester thereafter. I think if you have a couple of good quarters, then academic probation, then more good quarters after that, you might want to spend a little extra time explaining. I can just chalk mine up to adjusting to college/being away from home/immaturity/any number of things that I can explain with my upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I play a sport, under ECs, do I just put "blank University Varsity Basketball" under the name of organization?

And do I really need to put total hours and weekly hours? I have no clue how I would even figure that out

I have a question about putting down planned courses.

I am planning to apply to DMU, KCUMB, and UNE, all of which require biochem. However, I haven't taken biochem yet and plan to do so the spring before I matriculate if I get into one of the above schools. My question is, if I put down biochem as a planned course but end up getting into and matriculating at a school that doesn't require biochem and I end up not taking it, would it be held against me? If I say that I'm planning to take a course, does it mean that I HAVE to?

Just taking a peek at the application:

For LOR,
which option is most preferred, I would think 3 because it is all online. However, what if the school has a pre-health committee that wrote a concensus letter than wouldn't option 2 be best? In addition, where would the committee send their letter to?

Just taking a peek at the application:

For LOR,
which option is most preferred, I would think 3 because it is all online. However, what if the school has a pre-health committee that wrote a concensus letter than wouldn't option 2 be best? In addition, where would the committee send their letter to?

No idea what the different options are, but interfolio is the easiest. Setup an account, pay them $20, send LOR requests directly from your interfolio account to your professors/committee/whoever, have interfolio send to AACOMAS. $6 per school (up to 4 letters). Can't beat it.

Just so I understand properly after reading the thread. Even if I send in my application on the very first day, without the LORs and MCAT scores in, my application is really pointless. Should I hold off on sending it in early with everything except my LORs? My MCAT is after the 5th of June. Is this the same for AMCAS?

I believe they would, my roommate just went through a similar situation, but for a little larger issue regarding the completion of his master's program. It was listed that it would be completed by the time he matriculated in a year, however, after getting in, like most people would have done, he just assumed that he was done and could just take a lighter load to learn, rather than to finish. He got into an issue with his school and they are requiring that he finish the program. If it matters, he's all good now that he's gotten the credits for the summer, but whatever is put down on the application typically should be finished.

Hey. If I have a scholarship I received that is given to children of parents that have a certain insurance company be included? It's not really significant

I volunteered with two different areas of the same hospital (patient transportation and ICU), should I combine these two experiences as one volunteer experience in that section on AACOMAS or should I list them separately?

I just put Hospital Volunteer, and then I explained in the description that I was in 2 different areas of the hospital - so list them together.

I have a question about putting down planned courses.

I am planning to apply to DMU, KCUMB, and UNE, all of which require biochem. However, I haven't taken biochem yet and plan to do so the spring before I matriculate if I get into one of the above schools. My question is, if I put down biochem as a planned course but end up getting into and matriculating at a school that doesn't require biochem and I end up not taking it, would it be held against me? If I say that I'm planning to take a course, does it mean that I HAVE to?

Probably not..Just let them know you are no longer taking it. They are not going to accept you and then say "Hey look, this person said they were going to take a course (that isn't even required) and didn't! Take away their acceptance!"

Hey. If I have a scholarship I received that is given to children of parents that have a certain insurance company be included? It's not really significant
Might as well, not that it will really make a difference either way.

Should I even mention one day volunteering events like Med Wish and Day of Play? Or does they look too much like a filler for the application?

Should I even mention one day volunteering events like Med Wish and Day of Play? Or does they look too much like a filler for the application?
If you have other "bigger" things obviously those take priority, but you can put those one day events in. Did you do them under an organization like a greek org or campus org, if so just list them under those instead.

Ok so dumb question but what are the benefits of applying early (i.e before July 1st)? And when do you fill out secondaries? Is that only if you meet the minimum requirement for the school then they e-mail you something?

Benefits: Better chance at acceptance due to rolling admissions.
Secondaries: Fill them out as soon as you get them, put some thought into your essays, and turn those bad boys in.
Requirements: There are 3 or 4 schools that send them to everyone, a lot send them if you meet minimums, some only send to those that they are looking to interview.

Is there a use in submitting my application if my MCAT is June 21st (assuming I receive the score by July 24th and processed by AACOMAS/AMCAS by the end of July)?

You can have your transcripts verified while you wait for the scores.

You can have your transcripts verified while you wait for the scores.

My transcripts are already received by AACOMAS.. shouldn't that be verified by each school once I pay and submit my application? The only benefit of being later is that I have time to gather two more LORs that would be helpful, other than that, I am just waiting on AACOMAS/AMCAS to process my MCAT scores, correct?

My transcripts are already received by AACOMAS.. shouldn't that be verified by each school once I pay and submit my application? The only benefit of being later is that I have time to gather two more LORs that would be helpful, other than that, I am just waiting on AACOMAS/AMCAS to process my MCAT scores, correct?
No, AACOMAS does it once you pay, not the schools. If you need the extra time to LORs then go ahead and wait. But once you get your scores, if you have already submitted AACOMAS will send out an updated copy of your app with your score. Schools would see the MCAT scores as pending.

Is it acceptable to list all of your shadowing experiences as one activity or should they be split up?

Right now I have it set up like this:

Position Title: Clinical observer

Name of Organization: Various locations

Description: Brief blurb about why I did physician shadowing and what I learned from my experiences

Emergency medicine - Hospital Name (Dr. ____, DO)

Family practice - Practice Name (Dr. ____, DO)

Geriatrics/internal medicine - Facility Name (Dr. ____, MD)

Pediatrics - Hospital Name (Dr. ____, MD)

Neonatology - Hospital Name (various physicians)
And then I just put down the total number of hours for all of them combined and listed the start date for the earliest shadowing experience. Thoughts?

Brief blurb about why I did physician shadowing and what I learned from my experiences

Should we really write what we learned from each EC experience? I thought the description was just to explain what the EC is.

Should we really write what we learned from each EC experience? I thought the description was just to explain what the EC is.

For my other ECs I just described the activities, but I figured that since the whole point of shadowing was to learn about being a physician I should put in a sentence or two about what I'd learned. Don't know if it's necessary or not though.

If you take a lower year course like Intro Biochem and get a low grade, but take a higher year course like 4th year biochem and get a good grade do most/all DO schools look at your higher grade? Do they also look at your better grade? Example would be if you did better in a lower year course than an upper year course.

Also, my cGPA using the application program is lower than my cGPA in my university system. I dunno if thats normal or not, and if schools make individual adjustments when they look at your transcripts?

If you take a lower year course like Intro Biochem and get a low grade, but take a higher year course like 4th year biochem and get a good grade do most/all DO schools look at your higher grade? Do they also look at your better grade? Example would be if you did better in a lower year course than an upper year course.

Also, my cGPA using the application program is lower than my cGPA in my university system. I dunno if thats normal or not, and if schools make individual adjustments when they look at your transcripts?
Schools can do whatever they want, but generally, they will simply look at what AACOMAS calculates.

I doubt it. Was it taught by the psych department or the biology department? If it was taught by the psych then it will be a behavioral science.

Last year (aamc) Behavioral neuro counted as psych and health/disease neuro counted as science.

Hi guys,

I was placed on AP during my first semester in grad school for not passing an MBA class. I subsequently retook the class and earned a high pass. The AP was taken off my second year and it's nowhere mentioned on the transcript. I am also applying to allopathic schools as well and on the AMCAS app, you have to mention APs even if it's not on your transcript.

It looks like the AACOMAS app doesn't specifically say you have to mention AP even if it wasn't on your transcript, and I rather not bring a red flag on my app if it's not needed. But, I'm prepared to mention it on my AACOMAS app since I have already mentioned it on my AMCAS app.

Do we still have to mention APs even if it's not on our transcript?

Thanks.

My "Biological Dimensions of Human Sexuality" class was my Honors Biology class (it should have really been titled "reproductive biology"), taught by the biology department, and appears as a BIOL course.

I know AACOMAS says that human sex. courses are considered behavior science courses, but this course literally focused strictly on the biology aspect of human sex - hormones, oogenesis, spermatogenesis, pregnancy, fetal development and birth, as well as STDs.

Would really help if this could be considered a bio. science... any chance?

How long does AACOMAS take to process MCAT scores from THx? I sent them a few days ago but the scores have still not shown up on AACOMAS.

My "Biological Dimensions of Human Sexuality" class was my Honors Biology class (it should have really been titled "reproductive biology"), taught by the biology department, and appears as a BIOL course.

I know AACOMAS says that human sex. courses are considered behavior science courses, but this course literally focused strictly on the biology aspect of human sex - hormones, oogenesis, spermatogenesis, pregnancy, fetal development and birth, as well as STDs.

Would really help if this could be considered a bio. science... any chance?

Given the course content and the BIO prefix I would go ahead and list it under Bio/Zoology. You don't really have anything to lose - worst case scenario, they change it to Behavioral Science when they verify your transcripts.

Thanks for all of the help guys, you all are wonderful :)

I've been reading a lot of posts instructing certain members that do not have their MCAT scores yet (or will get them after June 1st) to submit their application so that it gets verified before MCAT scores arrive. I have also seen instructions to apply to one school (that is a stretch or don't really care about) so it is verified.

I have two bad MCAT scores under my belt (I'll be immediately screened out - one from 2 years ago, and another this year) and am re-taking in June. Should I submit my application June 1st WITHOUT designating a school (is this even possible)? I guess I am just confused as to WHAT needs to be completely filled out in order to submit the app June 1st so that it can start getting verified.

So AMCAS has a work/activity category "conferences attended." Last year I attended a Rheumatology conference. I just sat in on lectures/seminars and didn't make any connections or anything cool, but should I put that on my AACOMAS?

How long does AACOMAS take to process MCAT scores from THx? I sent them a few days ago but the scores have still not shown up on AACOMAS.

I sent mine 8-9 days ago and still hasn't popped up.

Thanks for all of the help guys, you all are wonderful :)

I've been reading a lot of posts instructing certain members that do not have their MCAT scores yet (or will get them after June 1st) to submit their application so that it gets verified before MCAT scores arrive. I have also seen instructions to apply to one school (that is a stretch or don't really care about) so it is verified.

I have two bad MCAT scores under my belt (I'll be immediately screened out - one from 2 years ago, and another this year) and am re-taking in June. Should I submit my application June 1st WITHOUT designating a school (is this even possible)? I guess I am just confused as to WHAT needs to be completely filled out in order to submit the app June 1st so that it can start getting verified.

i am pretty sure you need to select at least 1 school to submit. Why don't you email AACOMAS regarding your confusion. They always respond within the next day.

Is CV format preferred over resume format? If I use this format should I insert what I learned? Seems rhetorical to list what you learned.

I think absolutely. This means you are engaged in the scientific community. I would not list the lectures but the conference, dates and location. If you are a professional member or presented data there....list it!

So I listed the university I attended as August 2009-May2013, but on my transcript I took one gen ed class during the summer as a high school guest student in summer 2008. Should I change my attendance date in AACOMAS to starting June 2008? Or is there another way to indicate that the class was taken while i was still in high school?

My understanding was to try and replicate how the transcript lists your courses as close as possible... and my transcript lists it as Term: Summer 2008 and High school guest, so i'm not sure.

Thanks in advanced