*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfListic

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the quality points under the GPA section of the AACOMAS apps?

Its obviously Gpa related, but how is used or weighted by the schools, if at all? I've never heard anyone talk about it...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the quality points under the GPA section of the AACOMAS apps?

Its obviously Gpa related, but how is used or weighted by the schools, if at all? I've never heard anyone talk about it...

At my school, quality points are the credit hours of a course multiplied by the points for the grade you got. Biochem 2 for example, 3 credits x 4.0 (A) = 12 quality points

Oh cool, I've never seen that before...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh cool, I've never seen that before...

And total quality points divided by credit hours earned = gpa. I'm sure they're on your transcript but they're probably not called "quality points." Silly name imo lol. I'm pretty sure we've all just been reverse vicker'd lol.

And total quality points divided by credit hours earned = gpa. I'm sure they're on your transcript but they're probably not called "quality points." Silly name imo lol. I'm pretty sure we've all just been reverse vicker'd lol.

rivals-seinfeld-and-newman.jpeg

*...Vickers!

GPA and Credits Earned are used, quality points are just kind of a bastard in the calculation.

New cycle, new AACOMAS questions thread!

Before posting, please check out hallowmann's AACOMAS Frequently Asked Questions - 2013 thread and search through this thread as well as last year's thread. Many of the same questions come up year after year and it is likely that your question has already been asked and answered.

Helpful Links
AACOMAS Instruction Manual (PDF download)

2014 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (PDF download)
"A brief description of all of the osteopathic medical colleges, admissions criteria, minimum entrance requirements, supplementary application materials required, class size or enrollment, application deadlines, and tuition. Also includes information about choosing a career in osteopathic medicine."

AACOMAS General Info for Applicants

AACOMAS Contact Info
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 301-968-4190 (9 am - 4 pm, Eastern Standard Time)
You can also contact AACOMAS through your AACOMAS account. Once you've logged in, click on "Support" in the top right corner and then click on "Send a message to AACOMAS."

Last edited:
I typed up my personal statement on Word (gasp) is there any document I can paste it to that removes the formatting? I am afraid to retype it directly to the application for fear I will miss a comma or something dreadful like that.

I typed up my personal statement on Word (gasp) is there any document I can paste it to that removes the formatting? I am afraid to retype it directly to the application for fear I will miss a comma or something dreadful like that.

If you're using Windows you can paste it into Notepad and then re-copy and paste it into AACOMAS. That will remove all formatting.

To be safe, could we just retype it in? haha.

Just wanted to seek guidance---it would be poor taste to include dollar amount of projects that I ran that were successful right? Avoid bringing in money?

Edit: Also are we able to post it up here and see what people think?

Also just wanna confirm--I just need to list my schools and I can have them send the transcript right?

I have my MCAT on May 11th, so I just wanna have the transcripts sent off today--so I'm just listing my schools atm. I don't have to list the courses before I send the transcript as well?

ty

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post the customer service number and email addy? It won't even let me get past the login step! Keeps saying Incorrect Password. I have changed the password 3 times now and am still stuck at this step with no access to the customer service info. Thanks!

Just wanted to seek guidance---it would be poor taste to include dollar amount of projects that I ran that were successful right? Avoid bringing in money?

Edit: Also are we able to post it up here and see what people think?

Dollar amounts provide tangible information, why wouldn't you want to include that? Big difference between "Raised 500$ for XYZ, vs. Effectively campaigned and raised 50,000$"

The AACOMAS guide states that "it is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed." However, it also states that "you must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification."

If I'm not enrolled in a course, but I plan on taking it before matriculation, do I list it as a planned course (it's a prereq for some schools)? :confused:

5 Universities Attended

3 Application Services

15 Transcripts. Only one of them is free.

Fees already stacking up!

and ty SFU, will ponder on whether I should include dollar amounts for my business experience.

Also just wanna confirm--I just need to list my schools and I can have them send the transcript right?

I have my MCAT on May 11th, so I just wanna have the transcripts sent off today--so I'm just listing my schools atm. I don't have to list the courses before I send the transcript as well?

ty
Once you've listed your schools and the "Transcript Request Form" is available for each school, you can send your transcripts. They won't verify coursework until after you submit.

Can someone please post the customer service number and email addy? It won't even let me get past the login step! Keeps saying Incorrect Password. I have changed the password 3 times now and am still stuck at this step with no access to the customer service info. Thanks!
Added to the first post.

The AACOMAS guide states that "it is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed." However, it also states that "you must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification."

If I'm not enrolled in a course, but I plan on taking it before matriculation, do I list it as a planned course (it's a prereq for some schools)? :confused:
Only list courses as planned if they will show up on your transcript, so that usually only includes courses for next semester. It's not a problem if you don't have prereqs completed or listed - the schools don't care at this point, but you will need to finish them before you matriculate.

Only list courses as planned if they will show up on your transcript, so that usually only includes courses for next semester. It's not a problem if you don't have prereqs completed or listed - the schools don't care at this point, but you will need to finish them before you matriculate.

Thanks! :)

Once you've listed your schools and the "Transcript Request Form" is available for each school, you can send your transcripts. They won't verify coursework until after you submit.

Awesome---I also just want to thank you for your help.

All transcripts requested--now lets just see how long it takes these buggers.

+1 for AACOMAS taking emailed transcripts!

1) Is there anyway i can submit my transcripts to AACOMAS just to see where i am currently standing? I dont want to apply, just want a verification of my courses to see my GPA. Also, how long will my transcripts be on file if i turn them in to AACOMAS?
The easiest way to just see where you're standing is to calculate your GPA yourself. It's really not hard, and there are many calculators available. See the FAQ post stickied in this forum for GPA calculators. AACOMAS only calculates your "official" GPAs after you submit (an unofficial one might appear before that... I can't remember).

I'm not sure exactly how long your transcripts will be on file, but you can roll-over your prior year application. If nothing has changed, you don't need to send in new transcripts.

2) I heard that the number of semester credit hours of the replacement course must be greater than or equal to that of the original course. I took a class at a community college that was a 4 hour combo class (3hr lec +1hr lab), i retook the same class at my university but lab and lec separately. The CC 4 hr class shows up on my University transcript as lab and lec separate as a transfer course, will this be eligible as a retake?

ex:

Community College (CC):
Bio 1 - 4 credit hrs (lab+lec)

University (Uni):
Bio 1 lecture and Bio 1 lab <-- same CC class on Uni transcript as a transfer course
Bio 1 lecture and Bio 1 lab <-- Retake at Uni
This is answered in hallowmann's FAQ. See the first post.

Edit: there's actually some evidence that it might work. See this thread here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3257383

The thread is 7 years old so it might not apply anymore. The best thing to do would be to contact AACOMAS about it. If anyone does, please PM me with what they said. Thanks.

3) Is it true that the science gpa for DO schools is only BCP? Whereas the science gpa for MD schools is BCPM?
Yes, math courses are not included in the science GPA for AACOMAS. You can see the full list of which courses are science and which are not in the AACOMAS instructions in the first post.

Last edited:
Sorry to bug you again. :p

I took a course and withdrew mid-semester, so it shows up as a W on my transcript. I then took the course again and got an A in it. Should I list this course as a repeat? Or are repeats technically only courses that you have received an actual letter grade in multiple times?

Thanks!

Sorry to bug you again. :p

I took a course and withdrew mid-semester, so it shows up as a W on my transcript. I then took the course again and got an A in it. Should I list this course as a repeat? Or are repeats technically only courses that you have received an actual letter grade in multiple times?

Thanks!
No problem. :) A repeat only matters for GPA purposes, so theres really no point in listing it as a repeat.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using SDN Mobile

The login issue was related to their change password page having a glitch. Interfolio fixed it for me. She said many may find their login-in corrupted and just need to call them. She said the problem should be fixed by now.
Interfolio - 877-997-8807

No problem. :) A repeat only matters for GPA purposes, so theres really no point in listing it as a repeat.

That's what I was thinking, but my neurotic self thought it'd be best to double check! :oops::p Thanks again, dude. :)

So if I had a transcript Verified last cycle, how do I know the same transcript is verified without having to send in a new one? And yes no new classes were taken.

Hello, 1st time applying (no MCAT yet), I'm a non-trad 31yrs old...some question for you guys:

1) Do I need to include my high school information? Will I also need to send in my old high school transcripts?

2) Do I need to include information about my parents or is this optional?

3) If I submit the app to get "verified" in June and I am taking the August MCAT can I pull out my applications if I don't score as high as I had hoped, or would it go to the schools at that point?

Thank you in advance :oops:

So if I had a transcript Verified last cycle, how do I know the same transcript is verified without having to send in a new one? And yes no new classes were taken.
From what I understand, you roll-over your previous coursework, so there is no transcript verification again. You may still go through some sort of verification, though. Maybe someone with firsthand experience in this can comment.

Hello, 1st time applying (no MCAT yet), I'm a non-trad 31yrs old...some question for you guys:

1) Do I need to include my high school information? Will I also need to send in my old high school transcripts?

2) Do I need to include information about my parents or is this optional?

3) If I submit the app to get "verified" in June and I am taking the August MCAT can I pull out my applications if I don't score as high as I had hoped, or would it go to the schools at that point?

Thank you in advance :oops:
1. The only high school information that they ask for is high school name, location, and graduation year.

2. They ask for your parents' name, occupation, state of residence, whether or not they are alive, and level of education. Not sure if it's optional or not.

3. For that strategy, most people just apply to one school that they aren't very serious about. That way, your application will get verified, but you can also abort this cycle without the schools that you're serious about applying to seeing your application this year. I'm not sure if you'd be considered a "reapplicant" if the schools see your primary with no MCAT score or secondary application submitted (AACOMAS will send it to them without an MCAT score).

1. The only high school information that they ask for is high school name, location, and graduation year.

2. They ask for your parents' name, occupation, state of residence, whether or not they are alive, and level of education. Not sure if it's optional or not.

3. For that strategy, most people just apply to one school that they aren't very serious about. That way, your application will get verified, but you can also abort this cycle without the schools that you're serious about applying to seeing your application this year. I'm not sure if you'd be considered a "reapplicant" if the schools see your primary with no MCAT score or secondary application submitted (AACOMAS will send it to them without an MCAT score).

Thanks for your quick reply! :thumbup:

Last two question (hopefully):

1) Do I include my laboratory research internships under employment or volunteer? It was an unpaid internship and I got to do a poster presentation at a conference.

2) Is there a spot to actually attach a resume? I'm assuming we don't include actual job descriptions?

1) Do I include my laboratory research internships under employment or volunteer? It was an unpaid internship and I got to do a poster presentation at a conference.

2) Is there a spot to actually attach a resume? I'm assuming we don't include actual job descriptions?

I would put it under the EC/volunteer section.

There is no spot to attach a resume, but some schools (e.g., AZCOM) will ask for a resume/CV as part of the secondary application. You do get a chance to add job descriptions in AACOMAS under the employment section.

Similar questions, I'm paid for my research projects, where do I list it?

Also, can I request transcripts even though I won't be completing my app for a while? My school says they will send them within one business day + mailing time, so my transcripts are just going to sit there waiting for the app to be complete?

Similar questions, I'm paid for my research projects, where do I list it?

Also, can I request transcripts even though I won't be completing my app for a while? My school says they will send them within one business day + mailing time, so my transcripts are just going to sit there waiting for the app to be complete?

You could list it in either section. If you list it under employment, it will be implied that you were paid for it. If you list it in the EC section, I would make sure to mention that you got paid for it.

You can request your transcripts anytime. I'm pretty sure they scan them in and attach them to your account, so they can sit there waiting as long as needed.

Alright, thanks. :)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Answered.

Last edited:
I am really confused about this whole academic status thing.

Do I go strictly by the credit hours to determine my year? If so this would mean I switch from sophomore status to junior status in the middle of one semester just because I had completed X # of credit hours.

OR

Do I keep all the classes that appear in the same semester as the same classification eg Junior

Do I go strictly by the credit hours to determine my year? If so this would mean I switch from sophomore status to junior status in the middle of one semester just because I had completed X # of credit hours.

OR

Do I keep all the classes that appear in the same semester as the same classification eg Junior

Keep them as they appear in the same semester.

If I am taking retakes during the summer, should I follow the instructions and list then as L01, L02, and the courses they replace as R01 and R02, even though I don't have marks for them yet? I noticed if you do so, the R01 and R02 aren't included in your gpa calculations..and it rises alot :oops: But I would assume this obviously would be corrected to reflect my actual GPA right?

Or should I just list them as planned, but not add the attributes of being repeats, until they are actually complete?

The EC and scholarship sections are annoying. How do I list non-organized hobbies? and what's with the type limit on the names of awards/scholarships? i had to cut a lot down, or writeitlikethis for it to fit

OR

The status of your classes is approximate and entirely up to you. Do what makes the most sense. Having classes in the same semester with different statuses doesn't make much sense to me.

The EC and scholarship sections are annoying. How do I list non-organized hobbies? and what's with the type limit on the names of awards/scholarships? i had to cut a lot down, or writeitlikethis for it to fit

What do you mean by non-organized hobbies? I.e. "I like to play pick up basket ball with friends every week?" something like that? I think you can touch on hobbies in your p.s. if you think they are really defining of yourself, otherwise it doesn't seem like the primary has any place for it. Perhaps the secondaries have options for those.

If I am taking retakes during the summer, should I follow the instructions and list then as L01, L02, and the courses they replace as R01 and R02, even though I don't have marks for them yet? I noticed if you do so, the R01 and R02 aren't included in your gpa calculations..and it rises alot :oops: But I would assume this obviously would be corrected to reflect my actual GPA right?

Or should I just list them as planned, but not add the attributes of being repeats, until they are actually complete?
AACOMAS won't let you list planned classes as last repeats (when they verify they'll remove it). Just list them as planned.

There isn't really a spot for hobbies. You could list them in the EC section if you really wanted to.

What do you mean by non-organized hobbies? I.e. "I like to play pick up basket ball with friends every week?" something like that? I think you can touch on hobbies in your p.s. if you think they are really defining of yourself, otherwise it doesn't seem like the primary has any place for it. Perhaps the secondaries have options for those.

Well something like that. I do a ton of different stuff. But I was mostly referring to my martial arts which isn't thru an organized school, I do private lessons with the instructor as well as my music, skateboarding, and art. But yeah, I guess you're right, the secondaries might be able to cover it.

One of the colleges I attended didn't show up on AACOMAS' list, how much extra time do you think it will take them to confirm it is accredited and all that jazz? Will they do that only once I submit, or when they receive my transcripts(well before June 1st). I added the college, and the coursework.

Hey so I won't be able to get my transcripts until mid-June which would have my current spring grades on there but I'm only a part time student and those classes will hardly influence my gpa, should I just order my transcripts now without my spring grades? So I can get verified earlier? Thanks for your help!

Additional question- I'm currently a super senior, when entering my courses for these past two semesters do I just keep saying I'm a senior when filling out the aacomas coursework section?

When describing extracurriculars, should they be written in in proper essay format or is it okay to write short and sweet 'acted as supervisor for x, tutored y students, etc.' I guess I have no idea what this should look like.

For transcripts, is it that big of a deal if you don't send the "transcript request" form with the transcript?

EDIT:

"The Colleges and Coursework section of the application includes the option to print transcript request forms.* While not required, submitting this form with each transcript will expedite the processing of your application"

So I guess it will just be a bit slower that's all.

Last edited:
How do letters of recommendation work? Do get them from my professsor and doctor and send it to the school myself at the appropriate time? Or do the professors and doctors have to send those in by themselves?

How do letters of recommendation work? Do get them from my professsor and doctor and send it to the school myself at the appropriate time? Or do the professors and doctors have to send those in by themselves?

Easiest way is to register an account with Interfolio. Have your professor and doctor send them to Interfolio, and Interfolio makes copies and sends them to the schools you apply to. It's way easier than asking your writers to make 10 or 20 copies of the letter and then mail them all off.

Easiest way is to register an account with Interfolio. Have your professor and doctor send them to Interfolio, and Interfolio makes copies and sends them to the schools you apply to. It's way easier than asking your writers to make 10 or 20 copies of the letter and then mail them all off.

Thanks a lot. easier for both the parties.