*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For one of my extracurricular activities, I talk about training my dogs through my background knowledge with behavioral science. What should I list the organization as?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just volunteer work?

They said training "my dogs" so wouldn't this be considered more of a hobby if they're personal pets? Unless the dogs are used in a service capacity I guess?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm having a little bit of an issue with my MCAT scores with AACOMAS. I submitted the scores electronically via AAMC about one week before submitting my primaries off. I have it showing that I plan to retake the MCAT in September, but I haven't fully committed to that. Currently, I'm wondering if schools are saying they haven't received my scores because I submitted them before I had sent out my primary OR if schools are not considering my application complete since I have a pending MCAT score. If the problem is the latter, I'd like to remove it from my primary app. But would the medical schools also see this update?

They said training "my dogs" so wouldn't this be considered more of a hobby if they're personal pets? Unless the dogs are used in a service capacity I guess?

I put my title as "Dog Owner" but I have to list an organization. For another one of my extracurriculars I put "The community shelter" as the organization so I am just confused on what to list the organization as because it is required.

I put my title as "Dog Owner" but I have to list an organization. For another one of my extracurriculars I put "The community shelter" as the organization so I am just confused on what to list the organization as because it is required.

Ah I gotcha. I would defer to someone with more expertise but if it is indeed more in the hobby category I would put "independent" or "hobby"

Hi everyone,
I know I keep posting on here, but I'm just much less familiar with how ACOMAS works as compared to AMCAS.
So, since I submitted my primary to a throwaway school for verification, and I now have my MCAT, I wanna add my committee letter request and my actual schools at the same time. My committee is starting to write my letter now that they have my MCAT.
For AMCAS, I know you just punch in what kind of letter it is, give it a name, and then send your letter request form to your advisor so they can see your AMCAS ID and letter ID.
For ACOMAS, it looks a bit different. They want the type of letter indicated, and the name and email of your advisor, but they also want a " due date" of sorts. I'm not sure when the committee will be done, so can I just put some arbitrary later date? Also, is there CAS letter ID? I know for AMCAS there is a letter ID but there seems to not be one for CAS?

Also, for AMCAS you can resubmit without limit. Is there a limit in how much you can resubmit ACOMAS? It's just something I wanna be sure of.

Thanks,
mwsapphire

Hi everyone,
I know I keep posting on here, but I'm just much less familiar with how ACOMAS works as compared to AMCAS.
So, since I submitted my primary to a throwaway school for verification, and I now have my MCAT, I wanna add my committee letter request and my actual schools at the same time. My committee is starting to write my letter now that they have my MCAT.
For AMCAS, I know you just punch in what kind of letter it is, give it a name, and then send your letter request form to your advisor so they can see your AMCAS ID and letter ID.
For ACOMAS, it looks a bit different. They want the type of letter indicated, and the name and email of your advisor, but they also want a " due date" of sorts. I'm not sure when the committee will be done, so can I just put some arbitrary later date? Also, is there CAS letter ID? I know for AMCAS there is a letter ID but there seems to not be one for CAS?

Also, for AMCAS you can resubmit without limit. Is there a limit in how much you can resubmit ACOMAS? It's just something I wanna be sure of.

Thanks,
mwsapphire

One of my letters came after the due date. I assume it's just for a reminder email to the writer.

Reactions: 1 user
If I qualified for the fee waiver through AACOMAS, how do I get my secondaries waived? Do I need to email the school? Also, is there a list of what DO schools waive and do not waive their secondaries?

Is anyone else having trouble with AACOMAS receiving MCAT scores? I checked AACOMAS and there is no notification alerting me that they received my scores. I checked one of my DO secondary portals and they have apparently received my scores but another school has not. I'm not sure what's going on.. Should I call AACOMAS? or is this a common issue..

Is anyone else having trouble with AACOMAS receiving MCAT scores? I checked AACOMAS and there is no notification alerting me that they received my scores. I checked one of my DO secondary portals and they have apparently received my scores but another school has not. I'm not sure what's going on.. Should I call AACOMAS? or is this a common issue..
If all your DO schools have it then I think it's fine?

Also, a separate question: is there a limit to how many times you can "resubmit " ACOMAS? let's say right now I add my MCAT score, my LOR form, and add in and submit to the schools that don't have embedded essays. Then resubmit.

Then I'm gonna add in the schools that do have embedded essays, complete those essays, and then submit again.

Is that okay? is resubmitting a couple of times fine?

They usually add within 10-14 days I think. For me, I waited that period but it still wasn't added. I used the live chat feature and they manually linked my MCAT score to my application within 5 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
SOS sorry if this has been asked before. Which schools require a secondary within 10 days?

SOS sorry if this has been asked before. Which schools require a secondary within 10 days?
I know NYITCOM requests to complete the secondary within 10 days. They don’t screen to send out secondaries though because they sent me a secondary before my primary was verified.

For reference, submitted 8/18/19, received secondary from NYITCOM 8/19/19, and verified 8/22/19.

Hi everyone. My committee letter isn't ready yet, and I'm not sure about adding it to ACOMAS until it is. Can I send my primaries to the DO schools I plan to apply to, and then add in my Committee letter later? I know ACOMAS sends all added LOR's to each school automatically, but I'm a little fuzzy on adding LOR's after submitting to the schools you are interested in.

Hi everyone. My committee letter isn't ready yet, and I'm not sure about adding it to ACOMAS until it is. Can I send my primaries to the DO schools I plan to apply to, and then add in my Committee letter later? I know ACOMAS sends all added LOR's to each school automatically, but I'm a little fuzzy on adding LOR's after submitting to the schools you are interested in.

You can submit your primary application without the committee letter. Once it is uploaded, it will be updated for all the schools you applied to through AACOMAS. From there, it will update in their systems showing they have received your committee letter in your secondary application login.

You can submit your primary application without the committee letter. Once it is uploaded, it will be updated for all the schools you applied to through AACOMAS. From there, it will update in their systems showing they have received your committee letter in your secondary application login.
Okay, cool. Thanks.So pretty much like AMCAS except for not having to manually add schools. Follow up Q: You can submit secondaries w/o letters as well, right?

Hi guys - is there a limit to how many times you can update ACOMAS? Also, if you add a letter to ACOMAS, but have not yet resubmitted ACOMAS to any schools, does the letter automatically go to schools once you add them?

Hi! I submitted my app back in June but am just now completing secondaries and getting my DO/MD letters of rec in order. I opened up my app and saw that back in June, I already uploaded the max of 6 rec letters to my AACOMAS app. I have no idea what I was thinking. The letters I uploaded are all employers, professors, and volunteer coordinators. Is there any way I can delete one or two to make room for my DO and MD letters, or have my DO and MD letters sent directly to the DO schools? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys - is there a limit to how many times you can update ACOMAS? Also, if you add a letter to ACOMAS, but have not yet resubmitted ACOMAS to any schools, does the letter automatically go to schools once you add them?
The letters will automatically update and send to each school through the AACOMAS portal. There shouldn't be any limit to updating your application (that I know of).
Hi! I submitted my app back in June but am just now completing secondaries and getting my DO/MD letters of rec in order. I opened up my app and saw that back in June, I already uploaded the max of 6 rec letters to my AACOMAS app. I have no idea what I was thinking. The letters I uploaded are all employers, professors, and volunteer coordinators. Is there any way I can delete one or two to make room for my DO and MD letters, or have my DO and MD letters sent directly to the DO schools? Thanks in advance!

Since you've already sent out primary applications to schools, those letters are set and stone. You could call and ask, but more than likely they cannot remove those letters now. So you'll have to send your physician LORs by whichever method is accepted by the schools you've applied to already. For example, some accept Interfolio, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my application to AACOMAS a few months ago and listed one school under my application so I can get it verified (similar to what students do in AMCAS). I now keep receiving emails from the school saying the following:

Greetings from the Office of Admissions at __________________. Thank you once again for applying to our university for your professional school education. We are writing to inform you that as of today, your application is incomplete and is missing certain information to complete your file.

Should I write them back letting them know to withdraw my application so they are aware of this, or what's the best course of action here? I only applied here to have my application verified and don't plan on attending there just as some background information.

Anyone know how long it takes to get verified by AACOMAS at this point in the cycle? Submitted 10/3.

Hi Everyone :), If I already submitted a letter onto my ACCOMAS app can it be removed? I want to replace it with a stronger letter I recently obtained while applying this cycle. I have submitted the app yet, so maybe it can be removed after I call ACCOMAS this week? Just wanted to check here too.

Thank you :)!

Good morning, quick LOR question. I submitted my primary app back in May, and had an MD LOR. Yesterday I received and uploaded a DO LOR. Do I need to send it to the schools I applied to because I've already been complete, or does AACOMAS automatically send it to them?

When does the option to send transcripts appear on AACOMAS? I'm still entering in grades and see no option to submit them electronically

Good morning, quick LOR question. I submitted my primary app back in May, and had an MD LOR. Yesterday I received and uploaded a DO LOR. Do I need to send it to the schools I applied to because I've already been complete, or does AACOMAS automatically send it to them?

They would just automatically send to the schools you have already applied to then you would see them received in their secondary application pages.

When does the option to send transcripts appear on AACOMAS? I'm still entering in grades and see no option to submit them electronically
Unless they changed something, I believe you send them through an ordering service through your school. I remember paying a fee to have mine sent. You can’t upload an unofficial copy.

They would just automatically send to the schools you have already applied to then you would see them received in their secondary application pages.

Unless they changed something, I believe you send them through an ordering service through your school. I remember paying a fee to have mine sent. You can’t upload an unofficial copy.

Alright, so I'd need to go on the school's ordering service and send it to AACOMAS? Pretty much the same thing that we needed to do for AMCAS

When filling out the relatives in medicine section for next cycle, can I put one down if they currently attend an osteopathic school but will not have graduated by the time I matriculate?

When filling out the relatives in medicine section for next cycle, can I put one down if they currently attend an osteopathic school but will not have graduated by the time I matriculate?

I don’t see an issue with it unless it specifically states that they are a practicing physician.

Hi everyone,
This past fall I took two more classes to finish the bio info degree, which. I listed as " In Progress" in ACOMAS. I have not recieved my degree yet, ( not the physical copy in the mail yet).
I got my grades back for those two classes. Do I need to update my coursework in ACOMAS? I can't find if NYITCOM requires that or not ( my only DO invite so far, and not every DO school requires update). I know I'm just an interview candidate, but I want to get squared away if it is required since the update is active rn. ( And couldn't hurt to update even if it is not required). Or update only done post-acceptance? I am confused. AMCAS doesn't have anything like this and I know for that you just send updates transcripts post-acceptance.
My question is- do I need to do ACOMAS academic update at this stage of my application, with just one interview invite in hand, or is it just something done post-A?
Thanks
mwsapphire

Does anyone know how to obtain the average MCAT scores and GPAs of accepted students at each individual school? I am having a hard time finding this information on the schools' websites. ChooseDO only provides the national average, which is not very useful considering I will not apply to every school in the nation. Any advice would be helpful. :) TIA!

This might seem like a really dumb question, so I apologize in advance. If I'm reapplying, do I need to start an entirely new AACOMAS application?

I am hoping someone will have a solid answer for me.

How necessary is it to enter continuing education courses? I have been in health care for 18 years and CEs are required for work. I have accumulated an ungodly amount of CEs over the years. Is it necessary to enter as many of these as possible or should I only enter recent CE courses?

Also, Do various medical certifications (ACLS, CPR, TNCC, PALS, etc.) fall under "continuing education" as well?
Were your classes taught by an accredited US education institution?

Hi! When I'm plugging in transcript information, how important is the subject section? For example, at my undergrad, the genetics class that I took was BIO 203. So I put BIO 203 for "Course Code" and Principles of Genetics for "Course Title." For "Subject," do I put Biology (since it's in the course code), or Genetics? Or does it even matter? Thanks!

This might seem like a really dumb question, so I apologize in advance. If I'm reapplying, do I need to start an entirely new AACOMAS application?
I believe there is a function where you can keep your existing application and same CAS ID. I saw it on the AACOMAS page.

Hi! When I'm plugging in transcript information, how important is the subject section? For example, at my undergrad, the genetics class that I took was BIO 203. So I put BIO 203 for "Course Code" and Principles of Genetics for "Course Title." For "Subject," do I put Biology (since it's in the course code), or Genetics? Or does it even matter? Thanks!

I would just keep it as Biology since it is lumped under that umbrella.

"The 2019-2020 AACOMAS cycle is now closed. You may log in to your 2019-2020 AACOMAS application in order to add or update information, but you will not be able to delete. You also cannot submit your 2019-2020 AACOMAS application to any new programs."

I've been doing community service towards areas afflicted by COVID-19, but I am having trouble updating my application. Is it too late to update my file? The cycle is closed but it says I can update my information. If it is too late to update my file, should I speak to each school individually by updating them on my extracurriculars? Thanks in advance!

"The 2019-2020 AACOMAS cycle is now closed. You may log in to your 2019-2020 AACOMAS application in order to add or update information, but you will not be able to delete. You also cannot submit your 2019-2020 AACOMAS application to any new programs."

I've been doing community service towards areas afflicted by COVID-19, but I am having trouble updating my application. Is it too late to update my file? The cycle is closed but it says I can update my information. If it is too late to update my file, should I speak to each school individually by updating them on my extracurriculars? Thanks in advance!

It won’t let you submit anything as you make changes?

It won’t let you submit anything as you make changes?

Unfortunately no. There was a tab on the top of my file asking if I had updates, and I can't even open that. That tab is no longer there, so I am wondering if anyone else had issues updating their file post-April 10th.

Unfortunately no. There was a tab on the top of my file asking if I had updates, and I can't even open that. That tab is no longer there, so I am wondering if anyone else had issues updating their file post-April 10th.

Well it would be a minor update, but I suppose if there is a few schools you wanted to specifically notify, you could go ahead and do it.

Quick update - if you use the chat option on the AACOMAS website to tell them about this issue, they will restore your account's information. I knew something was really off when I logged in and it asked me to fill out everything again as a re-applicant. I was able to retain my previous application and update it afterwards

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if I can submit to be verified and then add my LORs after submission?