*****official acceptance thread for the university of maryland*****

Rubber Dam Man

protecting you since 1950
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This school has been my number one choice for a long time and I'm finally in!!!! :soexcited:

Who else is definitely going to MD?

Members don't see this ad.

:highfive:
YAY!!! University of Maryland Dental School has been my #1 school Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
So HAPPY I got in! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
This school has been my number one choice for a long time and I'm finally in!!!! :soexcited:

Rubber Dam Man, we intervied at Maryland (OOS) on the same day, I havn't recieved an email yet.... ehhh, but I got into my state school. Hopefully I hear something soon.

I'm in at Maryland! Great School. Def. between here and UNC for me. What do you guys think?

Rubber Dam Man, we intervied at Maryland (OOS) on the same day, I havn't recieved an email yet.... ehhh, but I got into my state school. Hopefully I hear something soon.

havent heard anything from Maryland either....i hope they have the courtesy of at least letting us know if we got wait listed...i dont wanna be in limbo with Maryland...deposits are expensive as hell.....

Congrats to all! Especially RubberDamMan, I know how long you've been wanting to get in here. :highfive: Something interesting for you guys to know that was just announced, Sirona just donated 10 Cerec machines to the dental school, so everyone from the class of 2013 on will be trained in Cerec CAD/CAM restorations. My class starts on them next semester (2nd semester of D2). Here is an article about it:

http://www.oea.umaryland.edu/communications/news/?ViewStatus=FullArticle&articleDetail=9315

Congrats again! See you in the Fall.

:D
Accepted to maryland at 12 pm =) I had given up hope after 9 am when I saw so many ppl had already been emailed. Especially because this was my worst interview. But im a marylander and of corse MARYLAND IS SO AMAZING and IM DEFINETLY GOING!!

I am still in shock:eek::love:

hey dude, im uber happy for you, i got into buffalo today so im happy! still holding out for maryland though. anyway, WE'RE GOING TO DENTAL SCHOOL. congrats again and good luck. snaggle!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to all of you!!! must be a super exciting feeling! i was wondering if people haven't heard back from Maryland yet, do you think they wait to send out another set of acceptances in jan. or do you think they could possibly still hand them out throughout dec?

congrats to all of you!!! must be a super exciting feeling! i was wondering if people haven't heard back from Maryland yet, do you think they wait to send out another set of acceptances in jan. or do you think they could possibly still hand them out throughout dec?
I'd like to know the answer to that too. I haven't heard back from them yet.

I don't have any first hand knowledge from the admissions office, but if it's like years past they send out a round of acceptances on December 1st and then on January 15th. I don't think they do a whole lot in between.

Hey I also interviewed before December but haven't heard from them yet
does anyone have any idea about how much possibility's there for students who have interviewed before December but haven't heard from them to get admission??

Last edited:
Congrats to all! Especially RubberDamMan, I know how long you've been wanting to get in here. :highfive: Something interesting for you guys to know that was just announced, Sirona just donated 10 Cerec machines to the dental school, so everyone from the class of 2013 on will be trained in Cerec CAD/CAM restorations. My class starts on them next semester (2nd semester of D2). Here is an article about it:

http://www.oea.umaryland.edu/communications/news/?ViewStatus=FullArticle&articleDetail=9315

Congrats again! See you in the Fall.

Thanks Epictetus21... I'm surprised you remember me!?!? yup, I've waited a long time for this and today has been the happiest day of my life!

I'm excited about the Cerec machines! I attended a seminar/conference through my lab in regards to CAD/CAM technology - it truly is amazing!

hey dude, im uber happy for you, i got into buffalo today so im happy! still holding out for maryland though. anyway, WE'RE GOING TO DENTAL SCHOOL. congrats again and good luck. snaggle!

Thanks snaggletoof!!! ... congratulations on your acceptance and I wish you the best of luck - hope you hear something from MD soon!

Last edited:

Oh really - who were you?

Congratulations on getting accepted to your state school - that is still a big accomplishment! I heard from a friend who interviewed a couple of days ago that they may also be sending out a few more acceptances before the holidays... in other words, before round 2 which would probably be in early-mid January

First of all, Yes I am posting at 4AM... I've been so high on life all day that I just do not want Dec. 1st to end... so by not sleeping, in my mind it is still Dec. 1st :D

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I received the admissions material via postal mail earlier this afternoon (12/1)... this is really happeningggg!

First of all, Yes I am posting at 4AM... I've been so high on life all day that I just do not want Dec. 1st to end... so by not sleeping, in my mind it is still Dec. 1st :D

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I received the admissions material via postal mail earlier this afternoon (12/1)... this is really happeningggg!

I received the material today too all the way in NYC here. I can't believe this is really happening we are going to be dentists! YES! :thumbup::highfive:

I haven't recieved my stuff in the mail yet :( and I live in baltimore! lol. But I am sure it will come soon i cant wait im so excited. I think when I actually have the mail in my hands its gonna feel so much more real.

I wish more people who were offered maryland would post on this thread so we can see more of whos in our class!

To those who are wondering about when they send out acceptance letters, the addmissions commitee answered this for me on my interview. Dr. Meehan said that after the first round is sent out on Dec 1, they wait back to see who accepts MD, and if by chance a lot of ppl decline it, they may send out more acceptances before jan 1. But generally they send out each round at the begining of each month. There is hope for you guys waiting on maryland though because by law they have to save seats for after DEC 1 so they havent filled the class yet .. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Accepted in MD, have not decided yet, but it is a top choice.

I haven't recieved my stuff in the mail yet :( and I live in baltimore! lol. But I am sure it will come soon i cant wait im so excited. I think when I actually have the mail in my hands its gonna feel so much more real.

I wish more people who were offered maryland would post on this thread so we can see more of whos in our class!

To those who are wondering about when they send out acceptance letters, the addmissions commitee answered this for me on my interview. Dr. Meehan said that after the first round is sent out on Dec 1, they wait back to see who accepts MD, and if by chance a lot of ppl decline it, they may send out more acceptances before jan 1. But generally they send out each round at the begining of each month. There is hope for you guys waiting on maryland though because by law they have to save seats for after DEC 1 so they havent filled the class yet .. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

That's strange considering you live in Baltimore... I'm sure you'll be getting it in the mail today!

I got the acceptance e-mail on the 1st and my official acceptance form came in the mail today. As Rubber Dam Man already knows, I'd go to Maryland in a heartbeat, but the cost is really concerning. I assume you guys all got the financial aid presentation during your interview day? Remember when she said the average debt of 2010 grads was a little over $130k? Also mentioned was that a sample budget came to $52k per year...for residents living with their parents; that number jumped to $87k a year if you're out-of-state and lucky enough to get a place in Pascault Row. Something isn't adding up here. :confused:

I got the acceptance e-mail on the 1st and my official acceptance form came in the mail today. As Rubber Dam Man already knows, I'd go to Maryland in a heartbeat, but the cost is really concerning. I assume you guys all got the financial aid presentation during your interview day? Remember when she said the average debt of 2010 grads was a little over $130k? Also mentioned was that a sample budget came to $52k per year...for residents living with their parents; that number jumped to $87k a year if you're out-of-state and lucky enough to get a place in Pascault Row. Something isn't adding up here. :confused:

make sure you consider that if u are not a resident a 130K debt is almost out of the question.....the average is 130K is cuz remember 12 ppl in the class graduated with 0 debt....tuition alone for maryland is 200K for out of state...i think it was somthing like 50K a year.....not including cost of living....if u gain in-state residency....u will save alot of money....a friend of mine there D3...got in state residency and he is looking to graduate with 240K debt....he paid instate tuition for D2....which is not bad...but that is still pretty expensive...but agani there are alot of scholarships out there....that or if ur parents can afford it then ur set

I'm in! Maryland is my top choice, so I am so excited that I found out first round! Does anyone know off-campus apartments are most popular? ..I've heard that you need to start figuring out living arrangements in the spring

When are you all (who are going to Maryland for sure) going to be looking for places to live?

yea the cost factor is something im worrying about too for UMB. Does anyone know where we can find a detailed listing of how much total attendance will cost for each year (D1-D4) for OOS student. I've only found this link, which really doesnt give a good yearly breakdown. http://www.fincsvc.umaryland.edu/sa/images/dds.pdf

When are you all (who are going to Maryland for sure) going to be looking for places to live?

Congratulations!!!!

the school offers housing options at Fayette Square and Pascault Row to name a couple... they are very expensive from what I have heard in the past. Many students find places just outside of downtown for much cheaper. If you still want to stay in Baltimore (walking distance from the the school)... some students have mentioned The Zenith, The Redwood, or The Avalon Centerpoint. I think I'm going to be going with one of these three.

Awesome, thank you! I knew about the on-campus options, but wasn't sure about "off-campus." I'd like to be within walking distance because it doesn't sound like there are many parking options. How is public transportation in baltimore..around the school? Would that be an option you lived a little bit farther?

I'm a 4th year at Maryland and this is what I recommend for housing.

Avoid campus housing. It's expensive and nothin special. Fayette square is basically a suite style dorm. I recommend a close, off campus apartment 1st year such as Avalon Centerpoint (reasonable cost.. I pay less than $700/month for my share of a 2BR apt, safe, close..2 blocks..from school, friendly staff). Redwood is expensive, the Atrium is ghetto. Marlboro classic is also a good place to live.

You can get cheaper housing if you live in a row home, but learn the city/dental school before moving into one of these. They are not as safe and not insulated very well (most are 100 years old). I lived in Ridgley's Delight (by camden yards) my 2nd year and loved it until the mice decided to make my place a permanent home following the brutal winter.

Congrats to everyone! Maryland is a good school. It has treated me well over the past 4 years.

Hup

I'm a 4th year at Maryland and this is what I recommend for housing.

Avoid campus housing. It's expensive and nothin special. Fayette square is basically a suite style dorm. I recommend a close, off campus apartment 1st year such as Avalon Centerpoint (reasonable cost.. I pay less than $700/month for my share of a 2BR apt, safe, close..2 blocks..from school, friendly staff). Redwood is expensive, the Atrium is ghetto. Marlboro classic is also a good place to live.

You can get cheaper housing if you live in a row home, but learn the city/dental school before moving into one of these. They are not as safe and not insulated very well (most are 100 years old). I lived in Ridgley's Delight (by camden yards) my 2nd year and loved it until the mice decided to make my place a permanent home following the brutal winter.

Congrats to everyone! Maryland is a good school. It has treated me well over the past 4 years.

Hup

Hup, thanks for the valuable information... quick question though, have you heard of The Zenith? If so, how is the rent their compared to some of the other "off-campus" apartments?

Also, are these buildings that you and I are referring to: The Zenith, The Redwood, Avalon Centerpoint, The Atrium, etc... are the residents in these buildings mostly professional school students? ... considering the dental school, med school, law school, and pharmacy school are all in one general area... I'm assuming that most of the occupants in these buildings are students.

Lastly, based on what you know, where do the vast majority of dental students choose to live?

Thanks for your help

Hup, thanks for the valuable information... quick question though, have you heard of The Zenith? If so, how is the rent their compared to some of the other "off-campus" apartments?

Also, are these buildings that you and I are referring to: The Zenith, The Redwood, Avalon Centerpoint, The Atrium, etc... are the residents in these buildings mostly professional school students? ... considering the dental school, med school, law school, and pharmacy school are all in one general area... I'm assuming that most of the occupants in these buildings are students.

Lastly, based on what you know, where do the vast majority of dental students choose to live?

Thanks for your help

The zenith is the newest and nicest complex close to campus. As far as I know, none of my classmates live there. It's significantly more expensive than the other off campus options, but sometimes they have incentives (free parking/1-2 months free rent) if they have a lot of vacancies. My impression is that people that live at the zenith are generally residents that are actually making some money.

Most of these off campus buildings are filled with a mix of UMB students and young professionals. Most dental students live in off campus apartments such as Redwood, Centerpoint, Marlboro classic and Redwood square. Some people live in rowhouses in Ridgley's Delight, West of MLK (pigtown/washington village) or Federal Hill. Ridgley's and pigtown are walking distance 10-15min and relatively safe. Federal Hill is a more of a walk, 20-30min. You'll want to be close to school years 1 and 2 because you will be spending a lot of time in the lab and library.

Hup

Thanks Epictetus21... I'm surprised you remember me!?!? yup, I've waited a long time for this and today has been the happiest day of my life!

I'm excited about the Cerec machines! I attended a seminar/conference through my lab in regards to CAD/CAM technology - it truly is amazing!

That's awesome!! thanks for sharing!! I have heard of this before, I can't believe I'll get to work with one of those soon!! =] ....ahh... another reason UMB is BOMB!

=] So happy for us future dentists of UMB! :laugh:

The zenith is the newest and nicest complex close to campus. As far as I know, none of my classmates live there. It's significantly more expensive than the other off campus options, but sometimes they have incentives (free parking/1-2 months free rent) if they have a lot of vacancies. My impression is that people that live at the zenith are generally residents that are actually making some money.

Most of these off campus buildings are filled with a mix of UMB students and young professionals. Most dental students live in off campus apartments such as Redwood, Centerpoint, Marlboro classic and Redwood square. Some people live in rowhouses in Ridgley's Delight, West of MLK (pigtown/washington village) or Federal Hill. Ridgley's and pigtown are walking distance 10-15min and relatively safe. Federal Hill is a more of a walk, 20-30min. You'll want to be close to school years 1 and 2 because you will be spending a lot of time in the lab and library.

Hup QUOTE]

Thanks! ... so I did some research and The Zenith is definitely nice, but VERY expensive. The others seem a bit more reasonable... my fiance and I are going to check out the ones that you mentioned soon, thanks again for your help - I appreciate it

Maryland has been my top choice for a while and my deposit was already sent in =) With that said, I was just wondering about a few things to expect at the school. They have all lectures recorded which is awesome! Does that mean that people don't go to class? I feel like one of the better parts of dental school is getting to know your classmates since you're all in the same boat all 4 years. ..what are your thoughts? Are the classes tight-knit?

Maryland has been my top choice for a while and my deposit was already sent in =) With that said, I was just wondering about a few things to expect at the school. They have all lectures recorded which is awesome! Does that mean that people don't go to class? I feel like one of the better parts of dental school is getting to know your classmates since you're all in the same boat all 4 years. ..what are your thoughts? Are the classes tight-knit?

congrats again to you! ... I sent my deposit in as well - will be sending in the second deposit shortly. Obviously I'm not a student at MD yet, but I do know a lot of students at the school and several friends who recently graduated... I've actually asked them these questions.

Yes, the students are certainly close-knit and that is one thing I highly value about MD. In the beginning of the year, mostly everyone attends classes... but a lot of students slowly realize that there are some classes that you're better off just watching online at your own convenience (especially since you can rewind/fast forward... play at half speed/high speed for those professors that speak fast/slow, or simply difficult to understand, etc). I'm sure there are those students who just want to be in and out... but I think the overwhelming majority of students are very friendly and you'll get to know everyone by the end of D1 ... which is what I'm assuming.

Perhaps Hup or Epictetus could share some insight into this... :)

I interviewed on Wednesday and was just accepted via email!! Maryland is my first choice, so I'm definitely going. Congrats to everyone!

I'm in too!
This is the happiest day in a LONG TIME
See you all next fall!

I'M IN AS WELL!!! Now, all we need is snaggle... COME ON GUY!

I made a group called "University of Maryland Dental School Class of 2015." I can only add people I'm friends with on facebook, which obviously I'm not with most of you, so feel free to join!

I'm sure there are those students who just want to be in and out... but I think the overwhelming majority of students are very friendly and you'll get to know everyone by the end of D1 ... which is what I'm assuming.

Perhaps Hup or Epictetus could share some insight into this... :)

It totally depends on what you want. There are those students that you will only see when there is a test or lab, but during first year you will probably see 1/2 to 3/4 of the class most days. The school and student government does a good job of putting together social events (happy hours, dances, parties, lunch socials, etc.) There will always be something to do on the weekend.

By the end of first year you will probably know most people in the class, but you will also probably spend most of your time with a group of 10-15 people that will be your core study group. It's nothing official, but you should look at organizing a study group during your first semester and trade off taking notes. It helps a lot.

I'm friends with everyone in my class, but of course, I have 10-15 closer friends that I spend most of my study time and other time with.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Long story short: First semester D1 most people go to class. Second semester D1 fewer people come to class, more people organize notes groups and watch mediasite on their own to study for tests. First semester D2 attendance really takes a hit, maybe 15-20 people go to class every day (unless there is a quiz or attendance), and everyone else (including me) spends all their time studying for the next test (mediasite, notes groups, old tests, etc.)

accepted!! heard back dec. 1st!!:D:D:D:D too busy celebrating to update anything online:p

Just got supplemental application request last night from MD - that typically means an interview is to follow right? I filled it out and submitted last night. Any of you accepted have any MD-specific interview advice?