OFFICIAL Airline Tips/FAQs for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have tips about making airline reservations for interviews?

-If you're using Orbitz, you can save $5 by going to the individual airline to schedule your fare.

Members don't see this ad.

flights i just purchased:

southwest: lax -> stl $253
delta: lax -> ewr (a cheap train ride away from NYC) $150!!

both purchased on respective airline website at least 14 days in advance. while you're at it, might as well enroll in frequent flyer programs.

WOW - that's an awesome deal from delta!!! (is that newark you're flying into?) congratulations!!

For people that are trying to schedule interviews with >1 stop, are there any good airlines that let you buy cheap, one way tickets. I know Southwest and JetBlue are pretty good but have limited airports they serve. Anyone have any others?

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Spirit airlines is another, but I'd go with a more reliable company on the interview trail so you don't end up missing an interview! I used Delta and American and it was all good.

Originally posted by pwrpfgrl
WOW - that's an awesome deal from delta!!! (is that newark you're flying into?) congratulations!!

For people that are trying to schedule interviews with >1 stop, are there any good airlines that let you buy cheap, one way tickets. I know Southwest and JetBlue are pretty good but have limited airports they serve. Anyone have any others?

Originally posted by pwrpfgrl

thanks! and yes, that's newark, nj

Low fare airlines: JetBlue, AirTran, American Trans Airways, Southwest, Frontier...I'm sure I'm missing a few, but those are some of the popular ones.

Many of these fly to the "off" airports in some cities (i.e. Midway instead of O'Hare, Hobby instead of Bush Intercontinental, Long Beach instead of LAX, Oakland instead of SFO, Newark instead of JFK/LGA, etc.). This can be useful for Chicago/Northwestern, Baylor, UCLA/USC/Irvine, UCSF, and NYU/Columbia/Cornell/Einstein/Sinai/NYMC respectively.

JetBlue's hub is JFK instead of LaGuardia, since LGA landing spots are hard to come by. They fly to Long Beach and Oakland and their prices are great. They are almost always on time, if not early, and part of this has to do with being at JFK, which is much less crowded than LGA.

Also, look for flights on major airlines to off airports, which can sometimes be cheaper.

If you're going to Yale, a flight to Bradley (Hartford/Springfield airport) will probably be cheaper than flying into New Haven via USAirways Express, although New Haven-Tweed airport is only 10 mins from campus, whereas Bradley is at least 50 mins away for most drivers (much longer if you take the CT Limo shuttle).

If you're going to Wake Forest, look at flights to RDU, as it's maybe 45 mins away down I-40, and you could rent a car. Or if you're going to Duke or Carolina, try Greensboro for the reverse route. Charlotte is an option for Wake Forest, but it's quite a bit farther than RDU, and may be more expensive.

If you need to go to LA from somewhere, and the flight to Oakland is much cheaper, you can take a shuttle flight from Oakland to LA (or do the reverse). It's an extra flight, but you can save some dough sometimes. Similarly, on the east coast, you can take the USAirways shuttles between DC, Boston, and NYC. In fact, between NYC and DC as well as NYC and Boston, you can get a GoYouth fare of $98 if you fly off peak (must be 22 or younger).

-RA

Actually, Charlotte is closer than RDU to Wake Forest. It's only about an hour away on the interstate while RDU is about 1:15 to 1:30. Flights into Greensboro are probably going to be cheaper for most from the southeast, and is about 20 minutes from Wake and an hour or less from Duke and UNC.

Originally posted by wfu2005
Actually, Charlotte is closer than RDU to Wake Forest. It's only about an hour away on the interstate while RDU is about 1:15 to 1:30. Flights into Greensboro are probably going to be cheaper for most from the southeast, and is about 20 minutes from Wake and an hour or less from Duke and UNC.

As someone who had lived in Charlotte for 16 years, it's definitely a bit more than an hour to WFU. Charlotte is about 85 miles from WFU Med, so figure at least an hour and a half depending on traffic.

You are right about RDU being farther though, it's like 110 maybe? So that's more like 2 hours. I was thinking of Durham to WFU which is quite a bit closer (about 60-65 miles, maybe), so my mistake on that one. You can fly Southwest to RDU though, so it can be cheap.

-RA

i checked the flight from oakland to newark about 4 hours ago on the delta website and it was $150, but now, it's up to $900!!! What is going on!??! anyone know?

thanks!

try to get them to override the expensive fair...some ticketing agents will be nice and do that for you

check tuesday afternoons at 12:01 pm. airlines tend to have special fares at that time. right now delta has some real good deals and so does american. i know for american they have roundtrip to many cities for 198.

Originally posted by dpy
i checked the flight from oakland to newark about 4 hours ago on the delta website and it was $150, but now, it's up to $900!!! What is going on!??! anyone know?

thanks!

If the flight fills up more, then they'll raise the price. It's the way the airlines work. Everyone pays a different price to be on the flight, basically...

-RA

One more tip - not really airline related, but I've read around on the board that if you book rental cars through priceline they include the underage fee (for all of us young'ns < 25).

Members don't see this ad :)
a tip for renting cars, ENTERPRISE fee for underage (21-24) is $10/day whereas many other companies charge $20.

Originally posted by pocwana
a tip for renting cars, ENTERPRISE fee for underage (21-24) is $10/day whereas many other companies charge $20.

Interesting...I've always paid $10, but maybe in the bad economy, it has become $20. I even paid $10 for this one company that let me rent when I was under 21 (I don't think they charged extra if you were 21 or over)

-RA

The last two times I used enterprise, they didn't charge me for the under 21 fee. Hmmm...my tip: flirt a little ;)

Originally posted by Bounty
The last two times I used enterprise, they didn't charge me for the under 21 fee. Hmmm...my tip: flirt a little ;)

you would do that, wouldn't you? freak ;)

D-dubs!
Why do you have it out for me?
I wasn't consciously trying to flirt - I was just pleasantly surprised when they didn't charge me... ;)

hmmm, maybe i shouldn't make my reservation online. my ;) won't transmit too well.

Here's another: if you have a AAA membership, it will give you a 10% discount on Hertz rentals.

If you use a major credit card with that covers liability insurance for renting cars, then make sure you waive all extra charges when it comes time to sign on the dotted line. All of those 'extra fees' are pure profit for the rental agenices, and are often covered by using a major credit card.

Also, if you get an invite with hotel and rental car discounts - specifically rental car corporate codes, they often work *nationally*. In other words, you maybe able to use that corporate code for a completely different interview, in another state.

Every bit helps.

- Tae

For you super-non-trads...don't forget that AARP discount...

Hehe, my dad refuses to show his AARP card at many places for fear of looking old...

-RA

hmmm, maybe i shouldn't make my reservation online. my ;) won't transmit too well.

Yeah dude,
Definitely go in person. The people who work at the enterprise i have gone to in westwood are all really young. I feel like young people watch out for other young people, you know?

Always check your luggage so you don't get searched at the gate, and then if you have that added benefit of the airline losing your luggage (which won't happen because of the new tracking luggage-passenger system) you get to show up to your interview in jeans and a t-shirt! Ah, if only....

Jade~

is priceline worth bothering with? i never used it before, but i've heard mixed things. like sometimes people say it's really cheap and good, other times they say there are too many stops and it's a headache.

btw i love your anne of green gables icon jadeite :) i used to watch those miniseries. i don't know why i admit that, but whatever. :D

For those of you w/ parents who travel, I've had all my flights for free using my dad's frequent flyer miles. But if you can't do this, and aren't in a big time crunch, try seeing if your flight is overbooked. Lots of times they'll ask for volunteers to take a later flight, and will give you a free round-trip ticket to anywhere w/in the 48 states. Just make sure that they guarantee you a spot on the next flight. :)