*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got my verification email from amcas today. I was wondering if it's normal to still have the "submit application" button available after verification. Also, when amcas transmits our apps to med school on jun29 will we get an email saying so or do we have to click on anything to make it happen? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does the AMCAS application observe line breaks? I am separating paragraphs in my disadvantaged status essay, work/activities essays, and personal statements using a line break (enter key) and was wondering if they will be preserved in the actual application. It would be a mess if they weren't.

So if I add more schools it needs to get verified again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! So I'm kind of confused. According to the AMCAS Instruction Manual,
"If you have two or more Work Experience/Activity entries, you will be required to identify at least one (1) as the most meaningful. "

That's totally fine with me and I know which one I want to select as my number one most meaningful. On the AMCAS, I have selected three activities as "meaningful," but nowhere do I see any option for me to pick the number one most meaningful. I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone please help me out? I searched the threads but couldn't find any one else asking the same thing so I'm sure I'm just being dumb

Hey there! So I'm kind of confused. According to the AMCAS Instruction Manual,
"If you have two or more Work Experience/Activity entries, you will be required to identify at least one (1) as the most meaningful. "

That's totally fine with me and I know which one I want to select as my number one most meaningful. On the AMCAS, I have selected three activities as "meaningful," but nowhere do I see any option for me to pick the number one most meaningful. I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone please help me out? I searched the threads but couldn't find any one else asking the same thing so I'm sure I'm just being dumb

Just a misunderstanding of the directions. You don't rank most meaningful. You can choose up to 3, but you have to choose at least 1.

The 1, 2, or 3 that you choose are given the same significance.

OHHHHHH Duh I see what it's saying now. So I have three "meaningful" experiences, I marked each of them as "meaningful," and I do not have to in any way rank them or select the most meaningful of the three, correct? I can just leave them as is.
All that statement in the Instruction Manual is saying that if you have multiple activities, you have to pick at least one meaningful one, yeah?

OHHHHHH Duh I see what it's saying now. So I have three "meaningful" experiences, I marked each of them as "meaningful," and I do not have to in any way rank them or select the most meaningful of the three, correct? I can just leave them as is.
All that statement in the Instruction Manual is saying that if you have multiple activities, you have to pick at least one meaningful one, yeah?

exactly

Perfect thank you so much!! I think I'm just getting nervous I thought my application was messed up or something haha

Hi so I wasnt sure if this was answered anywhere but I forgot to list the courses that I plan to take in the fall... I just submitted yesterday afternoon and my transcripts havent been received yet. Is there something that I can or should do about this? Thanks

This may be a dumb question but, when you are creating recommendation letters on AMCAS, what does "is this letter from a school" mean? Obviously, a professor is technically from a school, but since the letter itself is not being sent from the school, do I select no? I'm using interfolio so all of my letters will be sent from there and not my UG institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I need a big favor, I was updating my courses section on the AMCAS application and came across a question. If I have future courses that I will be taking starting September 2012, will these courses be included in my AMCAS GPA calculation? :confused:

I need to boost my GPA so was wondering if these future courses will count towards my GPA or not.They are all senior courses then I need to graduate with an honors BSc.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank You.

I got different answers from AMCAS.
For course listed like 2008-2009 summer in the transcript,
two told me just enter exactly what appears in the offical transcript, that is 2008-2009, AMCAS will have a way to organize stuff.
one told me summer will be considered the beginning of the next academic year (that's what I saw somewhere), so should put as 2009-2010.
Which one should I listen to?

two told me just enter exactly what appears in the offical transcript, that is 2008-2009, AMCAS will have a way to organize stuff.
one told me summer will be considered the beginning of the next academic year (that's what I saw somewhere), so should put as 2009-2010.
Merging

No. I did that and it got changed during my verification. The summer before senior year, you are considered a junior, etc. according to AMCAS.

@Snorlax: The academic year has nothing to do with your academic status. Only the number of credits you have dictate whether you're a junior or senior in AMCAS's eyes.

@Huihui: You'd classify it as 2009-2010. The summer is the beginning of the next academic year.

You are right that the summer is the beginning of the next academic year... however i can't figure out why I was still a junior according to # of credits. How does AMCAS determine academic standing in terms of # of credits?

Could I classify a statistics course called "Quantitative Methods in Psych" as Math in the Course Work section? the course's number is PSYC, though...

I was wondering if it will be okay if my LORs are without an official header. I had a professor who wrote me a LOR but it was last year and he is no longer teaching in the U.S and I am not sure if the letter he wrote was on an official header? Thanks

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well!

I had a question about how to enter lab/discussion courses. I went to UC Davis for undergrad, and there are a lot of classes like gen chem that are listed as having lab/discussions attached to all three quarters. For the first quarter it's a discussion, and then the next two quarters are lab. Do I just say that all of these are lab courses? What do discussions count as if they're not included on my transcript as an extra course.

Also, if I was working for a clinic that I got transcript notation for, what type of class do I classify it as? Other? I do have a grade and units and course number and title and all for it.

Quick Question
I put my PI's title in my research as "PI", and so now the Contact Name & Title shows: Name, PI.

Should I spell out PI as principal investigator, or put PhD as his title, or put PhD AND PI?

Quick Question
I put my PI's title in my research as "PI", and so now the Contact Name & Title shows: Name, PI.

Should I spell out PI as principal investigator, or put PhD as his title, or put PhD AND PI?

It's the person's title, not their relation to you, so Ph.D. would work.

Anyone know if LORs will show as received before you submit your application? I emailed all my letter writers their AMCAS numbers weeks ago but none of them are showing up as received. I'm hoping I don't have lazy writers.

Anyone know if LORs will show as received before you submit your application? I emailed all my letter writers their AMCAS numbers weeks ago but none of them are showing up as received. I'm hoping I don't have lazy writers.

They should show as received when AMCAS receives them. Your transcripts come up as received even though your application is not verified, why would it be different for LOR?

And maybe sending an actual letter to the writers would be better? Don't they have to submit a piece of paper with the LOR and not just writing a number?

They should show as received when AMCAS receives them. Your transcripts come up as received even though your application is not verified, why would it be different for LOR?

And maybe sending an actual letter to the writers would be better? Don't they have to submit a piece of paper with the LOR and not just writing a number?

I thought they could just upload the letter online and use the number on the transcript request form to match it to my AAMC account?

I wasn't aware that they could do that. I had a committee letter written for me, and the prehealth office at my school handles everything. I just had to ensure they had my paper and that the LOR were in my file.

Hey all, just wondering... I'm planning on taking some classes at my cc after graduation during my year off. But I'm not sure where I"m going to take it yet. Depends on where I can get the class...should I just put down both my CC's and put down all the classes I plan or is even thinking about taking down?

Thank you!

I submitted my application on 6/5/2012, which hasn't been verified, yet. I had selected regular admission to my school selection. Can I change it Early Admission Process after my application has been verified but before it's been sent to the school? Can I just delete the school and add it again with EAD?

I took a course called "Francophone Novels" which was a class conducted 100% in english on books written originally in French. All the novels were in French.

Since all the books are from one country, it doesn't make sense to call this "comparative literature." Would it be okay to categorize this as English language & literature?

This is starting to freak me out. Whenever I log into AMCAS, it tells me they're still processing apps from the first day. Does this mean that mine, submitted later than that (like, this week) will not be processed until... dunno... July?!:eek:

I know there are previous data for this, but I thought that before, first day or two subs got verified in one-two days...

I graduated in 2007 with a M.S. A few months ago, I took an undergraduate physics course to complete my physics requirement. When I enter that class into AMCAS, should I put that down as postbacc undergraduate, even though I'm not pursuing a degree from it? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

I graduated in 2007 with a M.S. A few months ago, I took an undergraduate physics course to complete my physics requirement. When I enter that class into AMCAS, should I put that down as postbacc undergraduate, even though I'm not pursuing a degree from it? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Yes

Merging

I found out I could have classified more courses as BCPM. Should I contact AMCAS and see if they can change it?

I found out I could have classified more courses as BCPM. Should I contact AMCAS and see if they can change it?

It can't hurt to call, but I'm going to guess they'll tell you no. Prior to submitting, they mention several times to check classes, and they repeat that it's an area you can't change. Maybe you'll catch someone on a good day though. :)

I am not sure where to post this but I could not find an answer to this question. I took quite a few advanced placement classes in high school but my college does not count them as a replacement for math and/or science. They have given me credit for other APs ie: US Government, etc. I took all of my premed prerequisites (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc) since my freshman year in college.

1. Do I have to list my AP classes on my application? If I don't will they add them during the verification process?

2. I did take AP statistics in high school. I noticed many of the Medical Schools recommend Statistics. I did not take it in college but I was contemplating a math minor and have taken numerous advanced level math classes. Will it add anything to my application to include the AP statistics if I am not required to include the AP classes?

3. If it is not a requirement to include them, is there an advantage or disadvantage to including them?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

1) You must list the AP credits on your application if the credits are on your transcript. If you don't, they might add a few of them, but if you leave out too many, they'll return your application.

2) Only include the AP Statistics credit if it's on your transcript. Otherwise, don't include it at all.

3) N/A

Thank you for the response, Wolverine. I have 6 AP classes that I received credit for (a total of 30 credits the way they assigned corresponding classes to each AP class). There was one class which I did not receive college credit for because they indicate that the class was "repeated" and 2 classes which they just did not give me credit for (probably because I did not score high enough to be given credit).

With that said, if I am reading your response correctly, do I only include the AP classes for which I received credit at my college? Or do I include all AP classes? Do I include the class that my school did not give me credit for because they deemed it as "repeated"?

Finally, do I have to have my high school transcript sent because that was where I took these classes or will my college transcript, which lists them, suffice?

I realize these are a lot of questions but if you wouldn't mind clarifying this for me, I would appreciate it :)

I apologize if this has been asked before:

I'm in the process of finalizing my AMCAS while also preparing for my June 21st MCAT. I've asked some adcoms questions about my app and am waiting to hear back from them.

My question is: considering I'm taking the 6/21 MCAT, it won't really help me to submit my AMCAS that early, will it? What would be a good date to submit my AMCAS to have it verified around the time the MCAT scores become available?

I hope that made sense :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Quick question on the PS format for the application.

In word, my essay is formatted correctly - 1 space between paragraphs so it can be easily read. When I paste it into AMCAS's essay box and click submit, it removes that space. I can see where paragraphs end, but there's no space between them, which makes it very difficult to read. Is this something I need to address, or is that just the way it is since it's such a simple word box submission?

I made a mistake when listing my future/ current course work. I am taking a couse now and I won't be done till July. I don't want it included as part of my GPA. However when filling out the form I put in the number of credit hours as 3 with No grade. Now my status is saying they won't verify me till they receive that transcript. Do you think it can be corrected ?

This is starting to freak me out. Whenever I log into AMCAS, it tells me they're still processing apps from the first day. Does this mean that mine, submitted later than that (like, this week) will not be processed until... dunno... July?!:eek:

I know there are previous data for this, but I thought that before, first day or two subs got verified in one-two days...

They probably get many more apps submitted June 5th (because anybody ready before that submits then) and once they're done verifying June 5th apps it should move quicker through the apps submitted June 6th and onwards. That would be my guess as it makes the most sense.

Stupid question: how do I know when my transcript has been received? Will I get an email? Or is there somewhere in the application that says the status?

Stupid question: how do I know when my transcript has been received? Will I get an email? Or is there somewhere in the application that says the status?

Both. On the website, you will click on "details" under "status."

Hi all, quick question and I apologize if this has already been answered - I've just had a bit of trouble finding it.
If you do list Dean's List or a research grant you've received, is it alright to leave the hours/week and dates spot blank? This won't hinder processing of the application, correct?
Thanks!

Sorry, same question, but also meant to ask if leaving the contact spot blank for those things is okay as well?

Sorry, same question, but also meant to ask if leaving the contact spot blank for those things is okay as well?

I believe it won't allow you to enter an activity without a contact. I forgot to put a phone number or email on one, and it wouldn't let me save it.

Hi all, quick question and I apologize if this has already been answered - I've just had a bit of trouble finding it.
If you do list Dean's List or a research grant you've received, is it alright to leave the hours/week and dates spot blank? This won't hinder processing of the application, correct?
Thanks!

It's okay to leave hours blank. For dates, you just put the earliest one; you can put the dates of other awards (or semesters you were on the list) in the description.

****. After submitting my application i realized i put an volunteer activity i started in September 2011 as September 2010, saying i participated an extra year. If i call them will they change this?

After AMCAS has verified one's application and the status changes to "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools" does that mean the application has been sent to the applicant's chosen schools or is the 29 June date the first time schools see the information?

After AMCAS has verified one's application and the status changes to "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools" does that mean the application has been sent to the applicant's chosen schools or is the 29 June date the first time schools see the information?

June 29th is the first time, sit tight