*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I have a question about submitting the AMCAS app packet. So I know I am submitting my application to October 15th deadline schools tonight. But I also have the schools that I want to also apply to for November and December days as well. I was wondering whether submitting the application packet can be done separately for schools or is it possible that we have options available where to send or not.

Please this is very URGENT for me. This is my first time and I do not want to submit the app packet for December deadline schools just yet. Thanks,
Yes, you can submit now to Oct 15 deadline schools and wait to add additional schools (which will receive the identical packet) that have a another deadline later, by going back into the application, adding more schools, recertifying the application, and paying the additional fee-per-school.

Are your transcripts already verified?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@kaspersky123

First Submitting application at this date is foolhardy. The deadlines as listed maybe technically correct but reality all schools have reviewing and giving out finite interview slots since August. Oct 15th is the day schools start giving out acceptances. I do not know how or where you are getting advising on this, but you are setting yourself up for failure this cycle and weaker position for reapplicant cycle.

Is it true that MSTP is not rolling?, i.e. they don't follow the same rules as MD applicants, and submitting on October 15th for an October 15th deadline would be considered just as much as someone who submitted a few months earlier?

Is it true that MSTP is not rolling?, i.e. they don't follow the same rules as MD applicants, and submitting on October 15th for an October 15th deadline would be considered just as much as someone who submitted a few months earlier?

Regardless there are still only finite interview spots which are given out on a rolling basis

Members don't see this ad :)
From speaking to program directors, MSTP applications are generally on a (slightly) later cycle. Beyond the fact that some schools don't even interview until January, there are some programs do not begin reviewing until Sept (Yale comes to mind) or even October (Mayo), but there are others that do being reviewing as early as late July (Hopkins comes to mind). Early is always your best bet, of course, but not a deal-breaker when it comes to MSTP.

From speaking to program directors, MSTP applications are generally on a (slightly) later cycle. Beyond the fact that some schools don't even interview until January, there are some programs do not begin reviewing until Sept (Yale comes to mind) or even October (Mayo), but there are others that do being reviewing as early as late July (Hopkins comes to mind). Early is always your best bet, of course, but not a deal-breaker when it comes to MSTP.

In your opinion, is early a "deal-breaker" when it comes to MD moreso than MSTP?

In your opinion, is early a "deal-breaker" when it comes to MD moreso than MSTP?

That's comparing apples and oranges. MD programs generally begin allocating interview spots earlier, but they do have more spots and more frequent interview dates. They also have separate training goals from MD-PhD programs. MD-PhD programs begin interviewing later, with fewer spots, and a different set of review criteria.

I am assuming what you are worried about fulfilling school-specific prerequisites.
1) It is immaterial what AMCAS classifies it as. for purposes of prereqs. AMCAS classification are not used for verifying prereqs nor is AMCAS anyway involved with prereqs. This is solely a school-specific verification that typically occurs after you taken up an offer of acceptance.
2) AMCAS classifies courses solely on the content of the course, not by the title or department. The content is based on the official college course catalog description for that course.
1. Ok, good to know, thank you.
2. My college classifies the course as something like "GEOG 123" so it is listed as geography, even though it truly wasn't a geography course. Even if it doesn't matter for fulfilling pre-reqs, should I put "Natural and Physical Sciences" for the course classification? Just want to make sure my app for AMCAS is filled out as correct as possible.