*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get signature as some schools will balk at a letter without.

Dr. NAME, PhD is incorrect. You should put NAME, PhD. If you want to put more fine but no one will notice or care

Well, that sucks. I put Dr. NAME, PhD as contacts for most of my clincial, research W/A entries. Some of them are just NAME, PhD, but then the rest are listed as Dr. NAME, MD...etc.

Really hope people don't notice this too much! It hadn't even crossed my mind when I entered the info, but now I found my first mistake on AMCAS :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to six schools while waiting for my MCAT... now that I've decided to retake my disappointingly low score, I'm being bombarded with secondaries that I absolutely will not be filling out. I realize that now that I've been verified, I can't withdraw.. so.. Should I just ignore the emails?

They are HEALTH courses but there is no penalty for listing as BCPM as AMCAS will just change them if they disagree. So if grades help your GPA, BCPM them

I listed them as health, AMCAS changed them to CHEM and BIO :eek:

I submitted an appeal to them and they changed them back to health, which boosted my science GPA significantly. Now I can finally submit to the OOS MD programs :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my schools require me to take the CASPER online test. Is 8/28 too late to take it? Also, do schools heavily weigh your scores in making their decisions? I am very nervous to take it and ruin my chances. Any helpful resources for practice? Or any additional advice?

So, I took a class in the chemistry department as an undergrad and got a B. I then took basically the same class as a grad student in the biology department (different school) and got an A. I was advised to take the class, I had no choice. Am I required to designate that as a repeat?

Not sure if this is the correct thread but for the secondary questions that ask to detail what I'll be doing during the app cycle .. My activities are the same as listed on my application should I detail them and explain what I gain from it as I did in Work/Activities or just briefly state what I'm doing?

So, I took a class in the chemistry department as an undergrad and got a B. I then took basically the same class as a grad student in the biology department (different school) and got an A. I was advised to take the class, I had no choice. Am I required to designate that as a repeat?
Even though the course content was similar, it was from a different department, it was a grad level course, and it probably had a higher course number, so I intuit that it would not be considered a Repeat.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this is the correct thread but for the secondary questions that ask to detail what I'll be doing during the app cycle .. My activities are the same as listed on my application should I detail them and explain what I gain from it as I did in Work/Activities or just briefly state what I'm doing?
Give a resume-type list with a brief explanation or role description, without any reflective comments.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we need to submit a professional photo with every secondary application? Is this upload onto AMCAS or directly on school-specific secondaries?

Do we need to submit a professional photo with every secondary application? Is this upload onto AMCAS or directly on school-specific secondaries?

Most schools (not all) require a photo with secondary application. This photo is uploaded onto school-specific secondaries, not AMCAS.

Does anyone know around how many secondaries an average accepted medical students sends out?

So, I realized that amcas messed up my senior GPA a little. Im international and I took classes out of the country in a college for a year. I then applied to US colleges intending to start over since none of the classes directly transferred. AMCAS verified my application and basically calculated my first GPA as a sophomore. I don't have a freshman gpa because I think it considers my year abroad as a freshman (gpa isn't calculated for courses taken abroad). My senior GPA is a combination of two years. The problem with this is that my GPA trend isn't very good (3.98, 3.97,3.68)- what AMCAS calculated, as opposed to (3.98, 3.97,3.46, 3.91) which shows all four separate years in the US. I had a really bad junior year but I bounced back in senior year. The way Amcas set it up doesn't show this, which bothers me. Is this going to be ok for med schools or should I try getting this fixed? I think Im overthinking this because my gpa is still >3.8. I also know that downward trends are looked down upon which is why im unsure about this.