*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AP credits are almost awarded in freshman year and thats where it should be. Whenever you retook the actual class is where those credits should be listef

Members don't see this ad.

AP credits are almost awarded in freshman year and thats where it should be. Whenever you retook the actual class is where those credits should be listed.
Right, so for physics that is senior year, because I took the class itself then. Okay then. Ofc if AMCAS has an issue they'll just move it, but I doubt they will.

On the AMCAS guidebook it says to enter course number exactly, fair enough. On my transcript, it looks like this ( | indicating spacing):
Fac. | Subj | Num | Sect. | Title | Cr | Grade
SC | CHEM | 2020 | A | Introductory Chemistry | 3.0 | A

So I would put into AAMC:
Course Number: 2020 (with no CHEM)
Course Name: Introductory Chemistry with lab (since it has a lab)
Credit Hours: 3.0 (as that's what's listed even though it has a lab and will be technically 4 in US)
Transcript Grade: A (with no conversions whatsoever)
and ticking the "Combined Lecture and Lab" option?

And if my class had a tutorial session, I'm guessing that doesn't count as a lab?

Finally for practicums that were 0 credits, I'll still put them in, but just put "Lab only" and "P" as grade with "Pass/Fail" special course type selected?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
On the AMCAS guidebook it says to enter course number exactly, fair enough. On my transcript, it looks like this ( | indicating spacing):
Fac. | Subj | Num | Sect. | Title | Cr | Grade
SC | CHEM | 2020 | A | Introductory Chemistry | 3.0 | A

So I would put into AAMC:
Course Number: 2020 (with no CHEM)
Course Name: Introductory Chemistry with lab (since it has a lab)
Credit Hours: 3.0 (as that's what's listed even though it has a lab and will be technically 4 in US)
Transcript Grade: A (with no conversions whatsoever)
and ticking the "Combined Lecture and Lab" option?

And if my class had a tutorial session, I'm guessing that doesn't count as a lab?

Finally for practicums that were 0 credits, I'll still put them in, but just put "Lab only" and "P" as grade with "Pass/Fail" special course type selected?

Thanks in advance
Course name is Chem 2020

So course number is 2020 and course name is CHEM 2020?
Sorry, Course Number is Chem 2020. Course name is Introductory Chemistry with lab

See Page 32

Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course (i.e., BIO 101). If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight digits.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I am applying for the first time this cycle but had a question about GPAs & etc. So my gpa is around ~3.6 and sgpa is ~3.5, I know my GPA is on the lower side. Do you guys think medical schools will take into consideration the age at which I started college? I started when I was younger, hence the lower GPA, any thoughts on how this will affect me? I did not take undergrad seriously until the last 2 years. I have a huge upward trend and also balanced many involvements at once.

Hey guys! I am applying for the first time this cycle but had a question about GPAs & etc. So my gpa is around ~3.6 and sgpa is ~3.5, I know my GPA is on the lower side. Do you guys think medical schools will take into consideration the age at which I started college? I started when I was younger, hence the lower GPA, any thoughts on how this will affect me? I did not take undergrad seriously until the last 2 years. I have a huge upward trend and also balanced many involvements at once.

I wouldn’t count on your age helping, but the strong upward trend will definitely help!

Hey everyone! Quick question regarding CLEP tests. I'm a nontrad student and took 3 CLEP exams prior to college. On my transcript it does not list what course the exam was for. It simply says: Transfer credit accepted by the institution: 09/00 College Level Exam Program
Credit 3.00 QPts. 0.00 Pts. 0.00

I did not see any numbers on the CLEP website that correlate with the exams. Should I enter the information above or try to add in the class that I took the exam for?

Thanks to all that have helped in this thread! It's very helpful and I appreciate your time!

1. I took Chemistry for health sciences, as well as Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2 at my community college as prereqs for my nursing program. They were'nt at a 4 year university (where i began my premed studies. Should I classify these as BCPM or no?

1. I took Chemistry for health sciences, as well as Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2 at my community college as prereqs for my nursing program. They were'nt at a 4 year university (where i began my premed studies. Should I classify these as BCPM or no?
The two courses above will likely count to BCPM. However, they are likely to be considered fulfilling prereqs at any school. The nursing prereqs wont count BCPM

Is it common to use coaching and consulting for secondaries and if so which ones are advised? I'm not the best writer and it takes me a long time to write essays but I'm not sure if I want to pay the high prices for a few essays?

Is it common to use coaching and consulting for secondaries and if so which ones are advised? I'm not the best writer and it takes me a long time to write essays but I'm not sure if I want to pay the high prices for a few essays?
From my experience as a coach/advisor, it is not common. I certainly many more people interested in just the primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience as a coach/advisor, it is not common. I certainly many more people interested in just the primary.
Thank you! What is the best way to get feedback on these? I asked a ton of people for my PS and activities so i feel bad asking them again for these

I'm hoping to get some advice from you all! I did a Research Fulbright from September 2018-July 2019. My lab has offered to pay for a Master's program here as long as I stay working in the lab for another year (September 2019-June 2020). I am applying this cycle and I am planning on going back to the states and doing interviews for a month (mid october to mid november). I submitted my application as early as possible and will also submit my secondaries as early as possible in order to try to get interviews early and organize them into the month that I will be back in the states. Some schools in their secondaries ask if I will have any problems interviewing, but for those that do not ask... how can I let them know about my situation? Should I put it in the ''is there anything you would like to bring up to the Admissions committee''? What if they dont even have a question like this?

I'm hoping to get some advice from you all! I did a Research Fulbright from September 2018-July 2019. My lab has offered to pay for a Master's program here as long as I stay working in the lab for another year (September 2019-June 2020). I am applying this cycle and I am planning on going back to the states and doing interviews for a month (mid october to mid november). I submitted my application as early as possible and will also submit my secondaries as early as possible in order to try to get interviews early and organize them into the month that I will be back in the states. Some schools in their secondaries ask if I will have any problems interviewing, but for those that do not ask... how can I let them know about my situation? Should I put it in the ''is there anything you would like to bring up to the Admissions committee''? What if they dont even have a question like this?
As I tell all applicants, applying to medical school is a full time job from May thru September and then being on call thru March. Schools may not even reviewed your application or invite you for an early interview. Schools have no obligation to adhere to your schedule. Indeed schools may not even give you a choice on dates. You can certainly send schools a note stating avaibility due to Rhodes fellow commitments. Some will certainly try to accomodate you. Others may find it presumptive that you even ask. So be careful how you write it

Will we get a notification when AMCAS sends our verified primaries to our schools on June 28th?

Will we get a notification when AMCAS sends our verified primaries to our schools on June 28th?

1) You own this process and it is up to you to stay on top of it;
2) do not assume that you will be notified of anything; while most schools will email, not all do
3) you should check AMCAS each and everyday for your status until all materials (primary and letters ) are sent to all schools
4) you need to actively find out how to log on to applicant portal; do not assume someone will tell you
5) you need to check each school's applicant portal at least every other day to make sure all:
--documents have been received
--secondary instruction/invite may be portal only
--secondary received
--application marked complete, in review, or other indication that app is now being evaluted
6) Do not assume interview invites will come by email; it may be applicant portal notification only

This is when being OCD Neurotic premed counts

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! What is the best way to get feedback on these? I asked a ton of people for my PS and activities so i feel bad asking them again for these

Ask them again, exchange with SDN people, or find a competent, long experience coach who shamelessly implies his services.....

Actually, SDN exchange is a good idea. These are people who have an idea of what should be written and dont know you. They can view these blind which is how an adcom works. Personally, I am not a fan of coaching applicants without working with them the from the start. I dont know them and cant be most effective in advising. Additionally, I generally work thru 5 secondaries as by that point most people are competent in how to deal with them

1) You own this process and it is up to you to stay on top of it;
2) do not assume that you will be notified of anything; while most schools will email, not all do
3) you should check AMCAS each and everyday for your status until all materials (primary and letters ) are sent to all schools
4) you need to actively find out how to log on to applicant portal; do not assume someone will tell you
5) you need to check each school's applicant portal at least every other day to make sure all:
--documents have been received
--secondary instruction/invite may be portal only
--secondary received
--application marked complete, in review, or other indication that app is now being evaluted
6) Do not assume interview invites will come by email; it may be applicant portal notification only

This is when being OCD Neurotic premed counts
7) and check your spam folders as well.

HI everyone,

My transcript lists all the classes starting from freshman year but then at the very end lists AP classes. Do I enter classes in that order or start entering classes with the AP credits (before freshman year classes)?

HI everyone,

My transcript lists all the classes starting from freshman year but then at the very end lists AP classes. Do I enter classes in that order or start entering classes with the AP credits (before freshman year classes)?
You enter EXACTLY as appears on transcript

You enter EXACTLY as appears on transcript

But lets say even if I entered it after my undergrad courses (which is how it appears on my transcript), wouldn't the AMCAS program reorder the courses anyway by their classification/year taken?

But lets say even if I entered it after my undergrad courses (which is how it appears on my transcript), wouldn't the AMCAS program reorder the courses anyway by their classification/year taken?

Why do premeds insist on overthinking everything

As from the applicant guide

If we got verified a few weeks ago and want to send in another school app, will it get submitted right away (so we get our secondaries for it soon after) or be sent in the next batch?

If we got verified a few weeks ago and want to send in another school app, will it get submitted right away (so we get our secondaries for it soon after) or be sent in the next batch?

If you add a school, it will be transmitted from AMCAS to the school in one business day. How long the school will then take to send you a secondary is entirely up to their policy/procedures. Since most school send unscreened or minimal screening, it should not take long (the operative word there is "should")

For the AMCAS ID portion where you add any numbers associated with your name/documents
I've added my undergrad college ID number. Do I need to add anything else (like the Transcript ID)? They've already received it.
I have no other schools/programs of attendance

For the AMCAS ID portion where you add any numbers associated with your name/documents
I've added my undergrad college ID number. Do I need to add anything else (like the Transcript ID)? They've already received it.
I have no other schools/programs of attendance
No

1. For a healthcare consulting internship I did, would that be a paid employment experience or an extracurricular activity?I listed it as an EC bc I did it out of my own curiosity about learning about different diseases. Is that okay?

2. What happens if the contact person who I obtained volunteer positions etc no longer works there or maybe by now their email isn't even active (if they no longer work there)? Some of my activities were years ago and I am not sure what happened to them. I just have their contact from my email records

For shadowing experiences (at least 5 different physicians, some more than once), spanning a total of 6 years (although not more than 10-15 hrs per doctor), what is the best way of selecting dates in the dropdown menu?
In the description, I am indicating the year in which I shadowed each doctor.

1. For a healthcare consulting internship I did, would that be a paid employment experience or an extracurricular activity?I listed it as an EC bc I did it out of my own curiosity about learning about different diseases. Is that okay?

2. What happens if the contact person who I obtained volunteer positions etc no longer works there or maybe by now their email isn't even active (if they no longer work there)? Some of my activities were years ago and I am not sure what happened to them. I just have their contact from my email records
1) if you got paid then I would recommend reporting as paid employment
2) if you can provide a general email to the organization to at least verify yiubwere involved would be enough. If you can so that, then just put what you have

For shadowing experiences (at least 5 different physicians, some more than once), spanning a total of 6 years (although not more than 10-15 hrs per doctor), what is the best way of selecting dates in the dropdown menu?
In the description, I am indicating the year in which I shadowed each doctor.
Picks dates from start of first shadow to end of last shadow. Simply list doctor, specialty, date shadow, hours

Picks dates from start of first shadow to end of last shadow. Simply list doctor, specialty, date shadow, hours

So if I shadowed Dr Smith (in 2014), Dr Jones (2017), Dr Stone (2019) (all being listed as such in the description) do I put the date range as start: 2014, end: 2019. Put Dr Smith as the Dr of reference/email?

So to be clear, I am NOT listing it as some repeated activity and doing it individually. Is that okay?

For a lab job that once began as a volunteering position to now a paid position which in total ive been working here for 5+ years, can I just put hours as 999 or 9999? It will be clearly from the description its been an intentive activity. I think hours will be meaningless. Is that okay?

So if I shadowed Dr Smith (in 2014), Dr Jones (2017), Dr Stone (2019) (all being listed as such in the description) do I put the date range as start: 2014, end: 2019. Put Dr Smith as the Dr of reference/email?

So to be clear, I am NOT listing it as some repeated activity and doing it individually. Is that okay?
Correct, Do you put the first doctor in as the main contact and just list the following doctors afterwards. Adcoms will understand it

For a lab job that once began as a volunteering position to now a paid position which in total ive been working here for 5+ years, can I just put hours as 999 or 9999? It will be clearly from the description its been an intentive activity. I think hours will be meaningless. Is that okay?
Yes that’s fine. I always advise students to be transparent so therefore I would know Xx years as a volunteer and XX years of the paid employee was in the narrative

Yes that’s fine. I always advise students to be transparent so therefore I would know Xx years as a volunteer and XX years of the paid employee was in the narrative

Since I started i the lab during undergrad as a volunteer and then to part time (while still in school), and then full time after graduation, I mentioned in the description that I began as a volunteer and am now a full time research assistant in the narrative (without listing exact dates), is that okay? I have still listed it as Research as it is a major part of my application. The time period will reflect the totality of the experience so far (from first setting foot in the lab to now).

This may have been asked elsewhere so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I would like to get a LOR from a science professor who taught a class I took last semester where I did well and we met often during office hours. However he is inaccessible until summer classes start in 2 weeks. No email or phone calls can reach him till then.

If I place his name on AMCAS now as a LOR writer, submit my application, and then learn later the professor is not able to write the LOR, do medical school adcom members view this as a negative reflection? I have 7 LOR writers: 1 didactic professor, 2 PI 's and the rest professionals and physicians for whom I have worked. I would like 1 more didactic professor since some of my selected schools require 2 as such. However since I am nontraditional and much older, many medical schools relax the requirement for 2 didactic professors and will accept other type of writers. I would rather provide 2 didactic writers. I am waiting on this one professor to give me a "yes" or "no" answer (I think it will be a "yes") but until then I can not submit my application and time is ticking. I'm concerned about waiting and not submitting my application since it is ready to be sent. Can you provide some insight?

thanks

AMCAS guide states the following:

After the initial submission of your AMCAS application, letter entries may not be deleted; instead, they may be designated as “No Longer Being Sent.”
  • The last column of the letter entry will now read “No Longer Sending.”
You do not, repeat, not need to have any letters assigned to any school in submit an AMCAS application. Submit the application NOW!

Since I started i the lab during undergrad as a volunteer and then to part time (while still in school), and then full time after graduation, I mentioned in the description that I began as a volunteer and am now a full time research assistant in the narrative (without listing exact dates), is that okay? I have still listed it as Research as it is a major part of my application. The time period will reflect the totality of the experience so far (from first setting foot in the lab to now).
its fine as long as you are transparent in the changing statuses in the lab

AMCAS related questions! Please advise.
1. Is it better to have a Personal Statement that is less than 5300 characters? It used to be less but with the addition of 1-2 sentences describing my publication study, it has hit the max limit. I added based on my advisor's recommendation. Thoughts?
2. Just to make sure, when submitting AMCAS, I should select the option that says "I have no letters to add" and then submit?

For AMCAS course input
3. For things like orgo and gen chem, which had their own separate lab sections (which also got a grade on the transcript) and show up as
Orgo 1 Lec 3.0 Grade
Orgo 1 Lab 3.0 Grade
and so for the lecture class, do I say that it included a lab? Or just say, lecture only (even though theoretically we were required to take both together)
4. I have about 8-9 items (including transfer credits and advanced placement) totaling in over 50 credits prior to actually starting undergrad. So should I start my first undergrad semester as a sophomore (based on AMCAS' credit counting system for class rank)?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I understand that you can’t unassign letters once you assign them, but can you still assign additional letters to the same school later on, or do all the letters you plan on sending that school need to be assigned at the same time?

I understand that you can’t unassign letters once you assign them, but can you still assign additional letters to the same school later on, or do all the letters you plan on sending that school need to be assigned at the same time?
You can assign more later. However, if your file is already marked complete: 1) those letters may not make it to the evaluator or; 2) that will pull your file out of being complete, a new letter will be added and then you may go back to the bottom of the queue

AMCAS related questions! Please advise.
1. Is it better to have a Personal Statement that is less than 5300 characters? It used to be less but with the addition of 1-2 sentences describing my publication study, it has hit the max limit. I added based on my advisor's recommendation. Thoughts?
2. Just to make sure, when submitting AMCAS, I should select the option that says "I have no letters to add" and then submit?

For AMCAS course input
3. For things like orgo and gen chem, which had their own separate lab sections (which also got a grade on the transcript) and show up as
Orgo 1 Lec 3.0 Grade
Orgo 1 Lab 3.0 Grade
and so for the lecture class, do I say that it included a lab? Or just say, lecture only (even though theoretically we were required to take both together)
4. I have about 8-9 items (including transfer credits and advanced placement) totaling in over 50 credits prior to actually starting undergrad. So should I start my first undergrad semester as a sophomore (based on AMCAS' credit counting system for class rank)?

1) it is better to have a PS that is coherent and compelling, no matter how many characters you are using. If you have something relevant to add, then do so. If you have just fluff, leave it off. BTW, most applicants are far too wordy and not nearly tight enough on their sentences, paragraphs, structure. I routinely edit those people who "cant possibly" write their story in less than 6,000 characters down to 4500 or less
2) yes, no letters than submit. Presumably at some point you will have letters to add?
3) YOU SAY EXACTLY WHAT IS ON THE TRANSCRIPT!!! Sorry for yelling but this is the most straight forward instruction in AMCAS yet I get the OCD premeds who overthink this all the time.
4) Transfer credits from where? Did you do a dual enrollment?

Another AMCAS technical type issue I saw on Twitter (Not that I spend a lot of time on Twitter except to follow AMCAS and TMDSAS)

@AMCASinfo said yesterday (7/2/2019) that they were having trouble sending emails to those with Yahoo or AOL accounts and that you may have missed important emails.
Today 7/3 they have updated that the issue is resolved, but check your spam folder, emails, as well your AMCAS account portal to be sure you haven't missed a message.

Their technical issue about AMCAS not receiving letters via Interfolio : I have not seen a follow-up "issue resolved" message so far.

EDIT: (Hopefully) resolved via AMCAS phone call. They looked at my transcript and how I chose to enter it, and were okay with the below. Will update if it passes verification or is returned incase anyone else is confused about similar.

Question regarding study abroad coursework:

I took one summer course at a foreign institution that was organized through our study abroad office.

The default at our university is to enter, under the Summer 2014 subheading:
"t STAB 310 StdyAb: Institution Name Here 9.0 EX"
Then afterwards, when they determine how many credit hours you actually took, to transfer in as:
"Other Institution
UNDG SEMESTER Credits Accepted in Transfer Fall 2014: 5.0"
This appears at the beginning of the transcript under AP credits. There is no mention of the institution name nor courses nor grades, simply the vague "other institution".

There is no other information anywhere on the transcript pertaining to this study abroad course. I had a meeting with our study abroad coordinator, who explained the 9.0 EX followed by lump of credits in transfer without grade procedure to me.

I elected to enter this under the foreign university ("Institution Name Here") as:
2014-2015, Summer Semester (Summer), Foreign Languages & Literature, StdyAb: Institution Name Here, STAB 310, EX
2014-2015, 1st Semester (Fall), Foreign Languages & Literature, Other Institution (in course name), 5 (left course number/grade blank)

Any other thoughts on this and whether I would need a foreign transcript for this? After reading many other SDN posts and the official AMCAS instructions my inclination is to say no.

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions regarding class standing:

1) I have a significant number of Fs and Ws early in my UG coursework. Do I count these when determining my year in school, or ignore them because I was not granted credits for them?

2) I assume I count the standalone certificate-granting coursework, such as my EMT cert, towards overall class standing despite them being somewhat separate from the rest of my UG career. Is this correct?

Thanks.

EDIT: (Hopefully) resolved via AMCAS phone call. They looked at my transcript and how I chose to enter it, and were okay with the below. Will update if it passes verification or is returned incase anyone else is confused about similar.

Question regarding study abroad coursework:

I took one summer course at a foreign institution that was organized through our study abroad office.

The default at our university is to enter, under the Summer 2014 subheading:
"t STAB 310 StdyAb: Institution Name Here 9.0 EX"
Then afterwards, when they determine how many credit hours you actually took, to transfer in as:
"Other Institution
UNDG SEMESTER Credits Accepted in Transfer Fall 2014: 5.0"
This appears at the beginning of the transcript under AP credits. There is no mention of the institution name nor courses nor grades, simply the vague "other institution".

There is no other information anywhere on the transcript pertaining to this study abroad course. I had a meeting with our study abroad coordinator, who explained the 9.0 EX followed by lump of credits in transfer without grade procedure to me.

I elected to enter this under the foreign university ("Institution Name Here") as:
2014-2015, Summer Semester (Summer), Foreign Languages & Literature, StdyAb: Institution Name Here, STAB 310, EX
2014-2015, 1st Semester (Fall), Foreign Languages & Literature, Other Institution (in course name), 5 (left course number/grade blank)

Any other thoughts on this and whether I would need a foreign transcript for this? After reading many other SDN posts and the official AMCAS instructions my inclination is to say no.

You do not need foreign transcripts as credits were transferred to US school

I have a couple of questions regarding class standing:

1) I have a significant number of Fs and Ws early in my UG coursework. Do I count these when determining my year in school, or ignore them because I was not granted credits for them?

2) I assume I count the standalone certificate-granting coursework, such as my EMT cert, towards overall class standing despite them being somewhat separate from the rest of my UG career. Is this correct?

Thanks.

1) That is incorrect. Class standing should be by credits enrolled, not by what you actually earned. However, AMCAS will likely accept credits earned as basis if you choose to do it that way. Frankly, I would advise the former and not that latter as it will make early years look like crap but than show outstanding GPA later on.

2) if you EMT is on same transcript at same school, then it counts

1) That is incorrect. Class standing should be by credits enrolled, not by what you actually earned. However, AMCAS will likely accept credits earned as basis if you choose to do it that way. Frankly, I would advise the former and not that latter as it will make early years look like crap but than show outstanding GPA later on.

2) if you EMT is on same transcript at same school, then it counts
Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.