*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I copy and pasted all my work/activites and personal statement directly from microsoft word into AMCAS. I did not see any formatting issues that other people encounter, apart from having to fix the spacing between paragraphs. I read the PDF of my application multiple times to double check and didn't catch anything. Since everything seemed to be okay, I submitted my application, but now I'm a little worried because it seems a lot of people have major formatting issues when pasting directly from word. Is the PDF version exactly the same as what adcoms see? Should I contact AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

So i just submitted an Academic Change Request to AMCAS. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? They classified my 25 credits of post bacc work as graduate work and therefore calculated it into my graduate GPA instead of my uGPA. I took these classes while also completing a master's so they're on the same transcript, but undergrad chem and physics classes definitely did not apply to my master's degree.......... are they pretty understanding about these change requests? am I just screwed? Without these post bacc classes my sGPA falls below a 3.0 so if they don't change it I'm afraid my apps for this cycle are just done for....
Did you not the PB as separate school/program from grad school and request a transcript exception? Did you mark them PB and grad correctly?

They should change it as instructions say so
Assign Postbaccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate-level coursework you enrolled in: ° After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree
° While enrolled in a graduate program, if coursework is not applied to a graduate degree

Reactions: 1 user
I copy and pasted all my work/activites and personal statement directly from microsoft word into AMCAS. I did not see any formatting issues that other people encounter, apart from having to fix the spacing between paragraphs. I read the PDF of my application multiple times to double check and didn't catch anything. Since everything seemed to be okay, I submitted my application, but now I'm a little worried because it seems a lot of people have major formatting issues when pasting directly from word. Is the PDF version exactly the same as what adcoms see? Should I contact AMCAS?
What you should have done is check this before you submitted. Contacting AMCAS will do nothing as they will not tell you anything. And they cant change it. So whatever it looks like is now submitted so move on

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Looks like when I was adding prior schools, I selected Harvard's main program instead of their extension school. Basically, I did a single summer term with them through a program in high school. In AMCAS, the "main" Harvard entry had a checkbox for "summer only", and latched onto that. Noticed right after I submitted today. AMCAS already received the transcript. Any ideas what to expect when I call them tomorrow?

Edit: Is this even worth calling for, or is it the kind of thing they'll correct for me during verification?
It wont matter to amcas or schools . Trivial error

Just to confirm, if I am taking colleges this summer at community college I still need to include the cc in my schools attended section?

I have a few questions about the coursework entry.

1. If a class on my transcript is listed as Bio 101, but is titled Ecology and Evolution, would that be a Bio or Ecology class? I would think Bio, since it is the first Bio class
2. If the title of a class is an abbreviation (ex: Fund of Neurosci) should I list that exact title, or list Fundamentals of Neuroscience?
3. A stupid question but I want to double check. If I took a class in Spring of 2017 in the 2016-2017 academic year, should I list that as year 2016 or 2017?

I have a question about the Activities section:
I did research for 2 years in the same lab that hired me full time as a research assistant after I graduated. I volunteered around 15 hours/week while in undergrad but 50 hours/week as a full time employee and I also had different projects. Should I list this as 2 activities or try to fit it into one? I plan on making this one of my most meaningful experiences as well

I have a question about the Activities section:
I did research for 2 years in the same lab that hired me full time as a research assistant after I graduated. I volunteered around 15 hours/week while in undergrad but 50 hours/week as a full time employee and I also had different projects. Should I list this as 2 activities or try to fit it into one? I plan on making this one of my most meaningful experiences as well

Just put it in one activity and use the "research" tag.

So I applied immediately once applications opened and I accidentally wrote CHM2054 instead of CHM2045 as a course code. My application has been verified for a week now and AMCAS doesn't fix course codes. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this. I do not want to withdraw my app and lose my early application spot.

I have a few questions about the coursework entry.

1. If a class on my transcript is listed as Bio 101, but is titled Ecology and Evolution, would that be a Bio or Ecology class? I would think Bio, since it is the first Bio class
2. If the title of a class is an abbreviation (ex: Fund of Neurosci) should I list that exact title, or list Fundamentals of Neuroscience?
3. A stupid question but I want to double check. If I took a class in Spring of 2017 in the 2016-2017 academic year, should I list that as year 2016 or 2017?
1. Ecology is a Bio. Classify biology
2. List courses EXACTLY as on transcript
3. 2017

So I applied immediately once applications opened and I accidentally wrote CHM2054 instead of CHM2045 as a course code. My application has been verified for a week now and AMCAS doesn't fix course codes. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this. I do not want to withdraw my app and lose my early application spot.

Ignore it, trivial issue, obvious typo, AMCAS verified. No one will care

Just to confirm, if I am taking colleges this summer at community college I still need to include the cc in my schools attended section?

Unless you have taken them, no. future work does not need be listed. You can choose to list it, but you must mark a transcription exception

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...473/aamc-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf
Page 15
Below are the reasons for seeking a transcript exception. You must select only one option:

...Current/future coursework (spring, summer, fall

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a class listed with the code BCMB. Class is called Molecular Neurobiology. It was my Neuroscience capstone. Should I list this as Neuroscience or Biochemistry since that is the course code?

I have a class listed with the code BCMB. Class is called Molecular Neurobiology. It was my Neuroscience capstone. Should I list this as Neuroscience or Biochemistry since that is the course code?

It doesnt matter which, it is all BIO

Question regarding AP/IB credit.

On my official transcript it mentions credit hours were awarded in the same term as I took my AP tests --- i.e. the term they mention is before my actual freshman year of college [e.g. spring 2011 instead of fall 2011 when I actually began fr. year].

On the tutorial and here in this thread it mentions to place ap/ib credit in freshman year slot on the app, but I was afraid this may confuse verifiers. Is this something I should be worried about/should I just use 2012-2013?

My mcat is in July 13th and I'm thinking about rescheduling it to July 20th. I AM applying this cycle. I know that the dates are not ideal but I was wondering your thoughts about this. I have a decent gpa and a lot of clinical hours paid ( 4000 hrs).I'm submitting my AMCAS June 29th for verification. I'm also applying as disadvantage, I learned English as my third language during high school. Will it be better to take my test July 13th or vise versa. Im in a huge dilemma. Thank you in advance

If all my research experiences were paid, should I list them as research or paid experiences? In the title for these activities, they start with something like "Research, X Location for Y". Thoughts @gonnif, @LizzyM, @Goro, and other SDN denizens?

Last edited:
A few questions about putting in coursework:

1) Does it matter how humanities courses are categorized since they don't contribute to sGPA? I have several Asian studies courses that I currently have categorized as "special studies", though I'm not quite sure what that means. If I wanted to be more precise with them, I could split them further into anthropology/media studies/history, but I'm not sure how much that really matters. Additionally, one of these courses is actually named "collaborative research" and involved undertaking a large creative project for a semester rather than an actual class, so that one particularly seems like a misfit for the "special studies" section.

2) Probably trivial, but I've taken some PE courses multiple times and just want validation that they shouldn't be marked as "repeated" on AMCAS because they're courses that are designed to be repeated.

Hello everybody
In AMCAS , where it asks if you want to release information to pre med advisors-
there's no downside to saying " yes" , right? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but I just want to make sure there's no unforseen consequence.

Hello everybody
In AMCAS , where it asks if you want to release information to pre med advisors-
there's no downside to saying " yes" , right? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but I just want to make sure there's no unforseen consequence.
They probably want to be able to have the info so they can announce which med schools their college students got in to. But would you rather have control of that information yourself?

Last edited:
They probably want to be able to have the info so they can announce which med schools their college students got in to. But would you rather have control if that information yourself?
I would, yes. I definitely plan on staying in touch with my profs/advisors, so I could tell them on my own. I guess I'll check " no". That can't cause any issues with my advisors helping me, would it?

I think I messed up on my application:( I forgot to remove the community college where I am taking summer courses currently (one from May-June and one from June-July) when I submitted my application, so now AAMC is asking for the transcript from there. Luckily, I already finished one of my courses so I have a grade for that on the cc transcript ( l also included the class on the coursework section but indicated it was current since). Could I request my transcript from the cc with the one class that I have done? Or should I withdraw my application and remove the community college?

Yes, request the transcript
I think I messed up on my application:( I forgot to remove the community college where I am taking summer courses currently (one from May-June and one from June-July) when I submitted my application, so now AAMC is asking for the transcript from there. Luckily, I already finished one of my courses so I have a grade for that on the cc transcript ( l also included the class on the coursework section but indicated it was current since). Could I request my transcript from the cc with the one class that I have done? Or should I withdraw my application and remove the community college?

Does anyone know if AMCAS sends your verified application to schools before receiving your MCAT scores? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to have my secondaries pre-written before my MCAT scores are in, or if I won't be receiving any secondaries until after they have my scores.

Does anyone know if AMCAS sends your verified application to schools before receiving your MCAT scores? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to have my secondaries pre-written before my MCAT scores are in, or if I won't be receiving any secondaries until after they have my scores.
They can and do, however many schools will not send a secondary or will not begin reviewing the application until after your MCAT is received.

For my course work section I wrote out abbreviated names for many of the classes. For example if the course is listed as {CHM HLTH SCI} on the transcript, for the course name I wrote Chemistry for Health Sciences. Should I change it to the abbreviated form?

For my course work section I wrote out abbreviated names for many of the classes. For example if the course is listed as {CHM HLTH SCI} on the transcript, for the course name I wrote Chemistry for Health Sciences. Should I change it to the abbreviated form?
Just put exactly what is on the transcript. They will change it if they need.

Question regarding AP/IB credit.

On my official transcript it mentions credit hours were awarded in the same term as I took my AP tests --- i.e. the term they mention is before my actual freshman year of college [e.g. spring 2011 instead of fall 2011 when I actually began fr. year].

On the tutorial and here in this thread it mentions to place ap/ib credit in freshman year slot on the app, but I was afraid this may confuse verifiers. Is this something I should be worried about/should I just use 2012-2013?
place it in actual freshman year

I would, yes. I definitely plan on staying in touch with my profs/advisors, so I could tell them on my own. I guess I'll check " no". That can't cause any issues with my advisors helping me, would it?
are you getting a committee letter? have you been required to send info to advisor as some premed committee do (and they are allowed to)

My mcat is in July 13th and I'm thinking about rescheduling it to July 20th. I AM applying this cycle. I know that the dates are not ideal but I was wondering your thoughts about this. I have a decent gpa and a lot of clinical hours paid ( 4000 hrs).I'm submitting my AMCAS June 29th for verification. I'm also applying as disadvantage, I learned English as my third language during high school. Will it be better to take my test July 13th or vise versa. Im in a huge dilemma. Thank you in advance

When is your score released

A few questions about putting in coursework:

1) Does it matter how humanities courses are categorized since they don't contribute to sGPA? I have several Asian studies courses that I currently have categorized as "special studies", though I'm not quite sure what that means. If I wanted to be more precise with them, I could split them further into anthropology/media studies/history, but I'm not sure how much that really matters. Additionally, one of these courses is actually named "collaborative research" and involved undertaking a large creative project for a semester rather than an actual class, so that one particularly seems like a misfit for the "special studies" section.

2) Probably trivial, but I've taken some PE courses multiple times and just want validation that they shouldn't be marked as "repeated" on AMCAS because they're courses that are designed to be repeated.
1. It doesnt matter
2. not repeats

are you getting a committee letter? have you been required to send info to advisor as some premed committee do (and they are allowed to)
Wait...we were only asked to attach an AMCAS letter ID in an email. Nothing else.
Now I'm freaking out.
I'm gonna see if I can change it to " yes" , since I only hit "save." Ofc the website is giving me issues now.

Edit: I havent submitted my application anywhere.I'm assuming if AMCAS doesn't let me change it I can call them and get it changed to " yes".

Last edited:
Wait...we were only asked to attach an AMCAS letter ID in an email. Nothing else.
Now I'm freaking out.
I'm gonna see if I can change it to " yes" , since I only hit "save." Ofc the website is giving me issues now.

Edit: I havent submitted my application anywhere.I'm assuming if AMCAS doesn't let me change it I can call them and get it changed to " yes".
AMCAS has been having website site issues all over today

If I take July 13th Mcat ( score release August 13th ) vs July 20th ( August 20th)
You will likely not make many, if any at all, the "early" complete date of Labor Day (ie primary, secondary MCAT, LOR). However, you will be ok with "on time" by end of September. In any case, either one of these dates is much less than ideal and just put you in a terrible crunch. Besides, I am very much against any student working on AMCAS before MCAT. You need to focus SOLELY on MCAT as that score stays with you forever.

You will likely not make many, if any at all, the "early" complete date of Labor Day (ie primary, secondary MCAT, LOR). However, you will be ok with "on time" by end of September. In any case, either one of these dates is much less than ideal and just put you in a terrible crunch. Besides, I am very much against any student working on AMCAS before MCAT. You need to focus SOLELY on MCAT as that score stays with you forever.

What about pre-writing my secondaries and submitting them within a day or two. Will i have a chance at being on the early pile if i use this strategy? thank you

What about pre-writing my secondaries and submitting them within a day or two. Will i have a chance at being on the early pile if i use this strategy? thank you

Without an MCAT score, how can you even target what schools to apply to? how can you prewrite secondaries?
Applying, even planning when to submit an AMCAS before you have MCAT score is bad strategy
Spending time to polish AMCAS when you need to be studying for MCAT is a bad strategy
Taking MCAT that late in the cycle is a bad strategy

You can make all these hopeful, optimistic plans but applicants woefully underestimate the time it takes to craft a well-written, polished secondary.
You are gonna be behind the curve no matter what you do

Reactions: 1 users
Without an MCAT score, how can you even target what schools to apply to? how can you prewrite secondaries?
Applying, even planning when to submit an AMCAS before you have MCAT score is bad strategy
Spending time to polish AMCAS when you need to be studying for MCAT is a bad strategy
Taking MCAT that late in the cycle is a bad strategy

You can make all these hopeful, optimistic plans but applicants woefully underestimate the time it takes to craft a well-written, polished secondary.
You are gonna be behind the curve no matter what you do
I agree with you 100%. I’m just relying on my good gpa and Ec. I have already completed my personal statement and EC. Just the thought of another gap year will be very devastating. Im planning on applying to a throw away school and prewrite the main secondaries that most schools use. Would you know how long it would take until I add schools to my Amcas after getting my score? Thank you!

I agree with you 100%. I’m just relying on my good gpa and Ec. I have already completed my personal statement and EC. Just the thought of another gap year will be very devastating. Im planning on applying to a throw away school and prewrite the main secondaries that most schools use. Would you know how long it would take until I add schools to my Amcas after getting my score? Thank you!

But the thought of applying late, in a weaker position, where you have increased chances of being rejected wouldnt be devastating?
Being forced in another gap year where you would be applying as a weaker applicants and lowering you chances wouldnt be devastating?
Very, very, shorted sighted thinking

It would take a single day to add and single day to transmit. There is no telling when you will get secondaries
some will be immediate
some within a week
some schools screen

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! I will be graduating from my university with two certificates. I think both of them are somewhat important to my application since one is a Pre-Health Professions Certificate and the other is a Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Sciences (both of which are distinctly different from my major). Would I put them on my application and where?

Hey all, I have a question. I took my MCAT 5/11 and submitted my app for verification (used one throwaway school for that purpose) at the beginning of June. I'm not happy with my score and plan on a retake later this summer so should I wait to add schools to my application before or after I get my new score? I'm afraid that if I add more schools now in hopes of getting secondaries, I'll be autoscreened out for some due to my current score. Appreciate any input!

T
Hey all, I have a question. I took my MCAT 5/11 and submitted my app for verification (used one throwaway school for that purpose) at the beginning of June. I'm not happy with my score and plan on a retake later this summer so should I wait to add schools to my application before or after I get my new score? I'm afraid that if I add more schools now in hopes of getting secondaries, I'll be autoscreened out for some due to my current score. Appreciate any input!
the whole point of throwaway is exactly that, prevent you from submitting subpar MCAT. I would not submit with a bad MCAT, nor would I advise a rushed unplanned late MCAT making a very late application. I would strongly look at your timing and consider not applying further, focus SOLELY on getting an MCAT score as two poor scores can you sink you forever

I will be graduating from my university with two certificates. I think both of them are somewhat important to my application since one is a Pre-Health Professions Certificate and the other is a Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Sciences (both of which are distinctly different from my major). Would I put them on my application and where?
You can do them as “minors” or as EC even though they not quite. I would possibly list them as awards @Catalystik may have better suggestions
I need more information:
1) Can you explain each one and the time involved in qualifying for the certifications? Did you take one class or many for each?
2) What have you used them for or what did you plan to use them for?
3) Is either related to any other Activity you plan to list?

T

the whole point of throwaway is exactly that, prevent you from submitting subpar MCAT. I would not submit with a bad MCAT, nor would I advise a rushed unplanned late MCAT making a very late application. I would strongly look at your timing and consider not applying further, focus SOLELY on getting an MCAT score as two poor scores can you sink you forever

That advice would mostly be in reference to MD schools correct? If I don't mind DO schools, should I just consider pushing the retake to early Fall (mid Aug/early September) and just apply primarily DO without having to worry about being late?

I need more information:
1) Can you explain each one and the time involved in qualifying for the certifications? Did you take one class or many for each?
2) What have you used them for or what did you plan to use them for?
3) Is either related to any other Activity you plan to list?

For the Pre-Health Professions Certificate they have some course requirements for what courses you need to take to get credit. I believe in all it is 18 credit hours but many of these courses overlapped with the Pre-Med Requirements. For the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science, there was course requirements you had to meet and then we had to do an independent research project and write a paper for that project.

The certificates will be on my transcript when I graduate but are not on my transcript now since I'm still in the process of completing them. They're similar to minors except they are interdisciplinary so do not meet the definition of a minor.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'related'. It adds a different dynamic to my application. I'm a Sociology major but all my research is in computational biology. So, the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science is more related to my research than my major is. The Pre-Health Professions Certificate is because I want to apply to medical school and become a physician.

Thank you so much in advance for the help! I really appreciate it :)

For the Pre-Health Professions Certificate they have some course requirements for what courses you need to take to get credit. I believe in all it is 18 credit hours but many of these courses overlapped with the Pre-Med Requirements. For the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science, there was course requirements you had to meet and then we had to do an independent research project and write a paper for that project.

The certificates will be on my transcript when I graduate but are not on my transcript now since I'm still in the process of completing them. They're similar to minors except they are interdisciplinary so do not meet the definition of a minor.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'related'. It adds a different dynamic to my application. I'm a Sociology major but all my research is in computational biology. So, the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science is more related to my research than my major is. The Pre-Health Professions Certificate is because I want to apply to medical school and become a physician.
It looks like the Pre-Health Professions Certificate covers similar territory to having done the typical prerequisites. It would be redundant to mention it since your transcript lists those courses.

OTOH, the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science is different and interesting, and adcomms won't be as familiar with it. Those classes will be on your transcript, too, but your explanation will be important to tying it into your current endeavors and making it meaningful. This might be worth giving its own space (use the tag "Other") to discuss and connect to your research that you'll discuss elsewhere in a Research space. Or if you prefer, you can mention it in that Research space and not list it separately (which is usually where a "certificate" belongs, but you may need more space for explanation). JMO.

It looks like the Pre-Health Professions Certificate covers similar territory to having done the typical prerequisites. It would be redundant to mention it since your transcript lists those courses.

OTOH, the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science is different and interesting, and adcomms won't be as familiar with it. Those classes will be on your transcript, too, but your explanation will be important to tying it into your current endeavors and making it meaningful. This might be worth giving its own space (use the tag "Other") to discuss and connect to your research that you'll discuss elsewhere in a Research space. Or if you prefer, you can mention it in that Research space and not list it separately (which is usually where a "certificate" belongs, but you may need more space for explanation). JMO.

Thank you so much for the help! I spent my Research space talking about the lab itself, skills I acquired and used, and the fellowships I received. If I wanted to list the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science in an "Other" spot, would I explain the coursework and what I learned from the certificate? Or would I talk about the specific project I did for the certificate (which would kind of overlap with my Research space since I did the project in that lab)? Or is there a better way to go about this? I feel like the main skills I learned that are applicable to becoming a physician are proficiency in Quantitative Reasoning and Problem-Solving Skills.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.