*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any involvement lasting a year or more is considered to have a good duration, so that isn't an issue. Including a comment about motivation in the new organization's entry would be better than adding it to the first organization's narrative, IMO.
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You've said before that you are interested in research-focused schools. If you have the stats to back that up (I don't think your GPA is an issue, BTW, but do you have an MCAT score yet?), I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to bury your pubs in other activities. Consider making a dedicated original-research Publications space. That said, the one above that you cite may well be better appreciated in the affiliated activity since it resulted in your taking direct action to benefit patients (and I hope you inserted that comment in the description). But reconsider where to place the other three.

Unfortunately, I do not have a MCAT score yet.

I am considering grouping my publications together, but I'm afraid that my experience summary will be very similar to that of my research activity. Do you have any recommendations on writing an experience summary for publications that is unique from the actual experience?

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses - really, really appreciate it.

I was curious if it's in my best interest to mention observing some of the neutral/negative aspects of being a physician. For example I briefly mention the bureaucratic pressures that physicians work under, which I saw in my hospital volunteering experience. My hope is that I convey knowledge about some of the less enjoyable parts of medicine, but I want to avoid coming across as negative.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I do not have a MCAT score yet.

I am considering grouping my publications together, but I'm afraid that my experience summary will be very similar to that of my research activity. Do you have any recommendations on writing an experience summary for publications that is unique from the actual experience?
An experience summary for Publications isn't necessary. The citations alone are sufficient for the space.

I was curious if it's in my best interest to mention observing some of the neutral/negative aspects of being a physician. For example I briefly mention the bureaucratic pressures that physicians work under, which I saw in my hospital volunteering experience. My hope is that I convey knowledge about some of the less enjoyable parts of medicine, but I want to avoid coming across as negative.

Thoughts?
It is a fairly universal adcomm opinion that negative commentary in the PS or Activities will not help your case. That said, I have always asked at interviews for applicants to relate both positive and negative physician models they've experienced. Save it for that.

1) I suggest Volunteer, with the name of the space something like Founder and Participant in [name of organization]. It's a gray area as to whether this is clinical, or not, considering that you are screening a general population and not known patients.

2a) Maybe you would consider grouping the 20 hour activity in the same space with the 135 hour one?
2b) I think that 155 hours of clinical experiences falls right into the average range that applicants list for clinical volunteering.

What was your role in the clinical research with the subjects? Were the study subjects called patients or participants? Did the results go into their medical charts? Did participation benefit the subjects in some way? These questions help sort out whether adcomms will consider the research role as "clinical" for med school application purposes.

3) Yes. You could mention the general membership in the narrative, without including the 200 hours in the header of the space.

4) If you want to include general membership dates and hours along with the dates and hours of committee membership, label it Extracurricular. If the space contains only the dates and hours of committee work, then you can tag it Leadership (assuming you were delegating tasks, coming up with new initiatives, and taking overall responsibility for the efforts of others whom you guided).

Would it be bad if I do not have any activity directly categorized as Leadership? but I would explain that I had leadership roles in activities labeled as volunteer, etc.

Would it be bad if I do not have any activity directly categorized as Leadership? but I would explain that I had leadership roles in activities labeled as volunteer, etc.
If you are a strong candidate for highly-selective, research-focused med schools (whose Missions Statements tend to say they aim to train future leaders in medicine) then I suggest that you should have a dedicated Leadership entry where you show how much you made a difference. If you simply don't have the space, then be sure to refer to the leadership role in the title of the activity that spawned it.

How important is adding in hobbies? I have 14 activities so far, but I'm finding it hard to describe 2 research experiences in 700 characters, and I don't want to designate research as MME. So, instead of adding in hobbies, would it be better to give each research experience its own listing?
It's your decision, but IMO it's the Hobbies section that has the potential to make a candidate memorable. It's your opportunity to be different from all the other applicants, who largely have very similar profiles.

I'm currently on a WL from this past cycle and am preparing my re-application for this coming cycle. I think I misunderstood the Leadership section last time around. In my Work/Activities Section I had a nonprofit that I founded (and that has now expanded from just my undergrad university to other campuses since my first app woo!) under community service. I was also on the executive board/vice president of my dance group which I listed under extra curricular activities (and I discuss my leadership role there). I was also a project lead at the research lab where I worked during my Masters degree. Should I be creating a separate Leadership section that describes these again? If so, do I just list the leadership positions I held and my responsibilities?
A Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere entry should contain only the dates and total hours that you engaged in leadership activities, not the affiliated volunteer, or employment, or sport experiences, etc (which should go in their own spaces). Whether or not you "need" a dedicated Leadership space may depend on the sort of school you're applying to. It is the highly-selective, research-oriented med schools that particularly value this and seek it in applications, as they "aim to train future leaders in medicine." So for them, you'd probably want to have your strongest leadership experience that "made a difference" in its own space. For all others, it is often best to keep the leadership with the activity that spawned it, to better gain the necessary context. For these latter, one can call attention to the leadership component by including it in the title of the space.

I do not suggest grouping multiple leadership experiences in a single space unless they are closely related or very similar.

Hi, I'm wondering about the best way to phrase/stylize one of my MM 1325 character descriptions. For 2 of 3 MM's, my description is more descriptive, whereas the last one jumps off with more imagery to set the scene- water splashing, voice yelling, I was overwhelmed. Should I keep this stylized description where I set the scene using vibrant imagery, or no? My concern is that it isn't consistent with the style of writing I had in my other 2 descriptions. I know the imagery may be more effective, however (or not). I'm not sure whether the consistency matters or not.

I'm wondering about the best way to phrase/stylize one of my MM 1325 character descriptions. For 2 of 3 MM's, my description is more descriptive, whereas the last one jumps off with more imagery to set the scene- water splashing, voice yelling, I was overwhelmed. Should I keep this stylized description where I set the scene using vibrant imagery, or no? My concern is that it isn't consistent with the style of writing I had in my other 2 descriptions. I know the imagery may be more effective, however (or not). I'm not sure whether the consistency matters or not.
Consistency in style of writing is not the least bit important. Complete each narrative box in the way that best conveys what you wish to communicate. Anecdotes are fine to use in the MM portion. Don't go off the deep end and insert poetry, or excessively-creative, non-standard forms of expression, though. :laugh:

Hi. I'm wondering what the best way to communicate my shadowing experiences would be? I'm not sure if it would be better to explain/reflect about ~2 shadowing experiences, and then say something like "I also shadowed 2 other doctors (specialties, dates)." Or if it should just be a list of five total shadowing experiences with a short sentence about each one? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more question! If I won an award that came with a scholarship, is it helpful to mention the $ value of the scholarship? Or just mention the title of the award? Thank you.

Hi. I'm wondering what the best way to communicate my shadowing experiences would be? I'm not sure if it would be better to explain/reflect about ~2 shadowing experiences, and then say something like "I also shadowed 2 other doctors (specialties, dates)." Or if it should just be a list of five total shadowing experiences with a short sentence about each one? Thank you.
List the two with the greatest number of hours, or the best Contacts, or the most recent, adding some detail, then summarize the rest as you did here.

One more question! If I won an award that came with a scholarship, is it helpful to mention the $ value of the scholarship? Or just mention the title of the award? Thank you.
If the scholarship amount was substantial, like > $3000, then specify the amount. Also give the criteria and an idea of how selective the award was.

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I don't know how to phrase it. Basicallly,
I have been part of a volunteering organization for over 7 years in Houston. However, there were periods of times where I wasn't volunteering with them (a month or so every year). Should I indicate the dates I had the hiatus, or would putting the activity from "August 2013- March 2020" suffice?

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I don't know how to phrase it. Basicallly,
I have been part of a volunteering organization for over 7 years in Houston. However, there were periods of times where I wasn't volunteering with them (a month or so every year). Should I indicate the dates I had the hiatus, or would putting the activity from "August 2013- March 2020" suffice?
If you only took off for one month a year, I think it's fine to list a solid block of dates without specifying time off. Occasional time off will be presumed.

Hi @Catalystik, thank you so much for all of your answers tonight. I am combining a few related awards in one box, but they were all given by organizations outside of school, and I'm not sure who to put as the contact. Would it be weird if I was the contact? The awards are from a few years ago, so I'm not even sure if I have the emails of people who currently work at those organizations. Thank you.

Hi @Catalystik, thank you so much for all of your answers tonight. I am combining a few related awards in one box, but they were all given by organizations outside of school, and I'm not sure who to put as the contact. Would it be weird if I was the contact? The awards are from a few years ago, so I'm not even sure if I have the emails of people who currently work at those organizations. Thank you.
Can you give me an idea of what the awards are for, like the criteria for earning them?

Can you give me an idea of what the awards are for, like the criteria for earning them?

One is a "Top 10 X" in my activity, and another is like a "30 under 30" but not that list exactly and just for people in my specific activity. You had to be nominated by coaches and then there were further selection processes.

One is a "Top 10 X" in my activity, and another is like a "30 under 30" but not that list exactly and just for people in my specific activity. You had to be nominated by coaches and then there were further selection processes.
Are the mostly/ all sport related? Would your most recent coach be aware if some of them? Could you try to track that person down?

Yes, if all else fails, use yourself or a co-competitor as contact.

I have a question about the most meaningful experience descriptions. For one of mine, I'm talking about how serving an underserved population helped me see health inequities and how it motivates me to further explore this in med school. My concern is that this is not necessarily personal growth as opposed to an observation/learning moment. One reason that makes me want to include this is that I'm applying to several schools that want to see this type of service in underserved populations. What are you thoughts on this? Thank you for your help!

I have a question about the most meaningful experience descriptions. For one of mine, I'm talking about how serving an underserved population helped me see health inequities and how it motivates me to further explore this in med school. My concern is that this is not necessarily personal growth as opposed to an observation/learning moment. One reason that makes me want to include this is that I'm applying to several schools that want to see this type of service in underserved populations. What are you thoughts on this? Thank you for your help!
Perhaps it would better help explain your motivation if you include a statement of empathy?

I did research the summer after freshman year of college in 2013, but I am included as an author on a paper using that work published last month. I don't have room for a separate Publications section, so I was wondering if I should:

1) continue to classify this experience as "Research/Lab" with the summer 2013 dates and the publication citation at the end of the description, or

2) change the category to "Publications" with an April 2020 date and note in the description that the research was done in 2013 (in addition to having the publication citation at the end of the description)?

The citation will start with "1st Author/Not Me et al...", so it won't have my name since I'm a spicy 5th out of 7 authors, and I don't have space to list more than the 1st.

I also have another experience listed as research in my Work/Activities, but no experiences listed as publications.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I did research the summer after freshman year of college in 2013, but I am included as an author on a paper using that work published last month. I don't have room for a separate Publications section, so I was wondering if I should:

1) continue to classify this experience as "Research/Lab" with the summer 2013 dates and the publication citation at the end of the description, or

2) change the category to "Publications" with an April 2020 date and note in the description that the research was done in 2013 (in addition to having the publication citation at the end of the description)?

The citation will start with "1st Author/Not Me et al...", so it won't have my name since I'm a spicy 5th out of 7 authors, and I don't have space to list more than the 1st.

I also have another experience listed as research in my Work/Activities, but no experiences listed as publications.
What was your role in the research? Did you make a significant contribution to the project? If questioned closely on it at an interview , would you hold up well to questions on hypothesis, methods, and conclusion?

I'd call it "co-authored" rather than "5th-authored," BTW. Do you have a PMID#?

I have a question about the contact for an EC. The retirement home I volunteer at was recently shut down (not sure why). My emails have been bouncing back :((. Who would I put down as a contact for that?

I don't plan on this being my one of my meaningful experiences, but I'd been volunteering there on and off since middle school, so I do have a good amount of hours amassed at this point. I have records of old email correspondence with them, but that's about it as far as proof goes.

I have a question about the contact for an EC. The retirement home I volunteer at was recently shut down (not sure why). My emails have been bouncing back :((. Who would I put down as a contact for that?

I don't plan on this being my one of my meaningful experiences, but I'd been volunteering there on and off since middle school, so I do have a good amount of hours amassed at this point. I have records of old email correspondence with them, but that's about it as far as proof goes.
Does a college advisor/faculty know about the activity? If you can't think of a more objective person to attest to your involvement, use a co-volunteer or yourself (making a comment about documentation can be provided).

My clinic that I normally volunteer at went virtual. The doctor is in person seeing patients and the laptop is set up in such a way where I am able to see both the patient and doctor, but I am online filling out the chart. Does this qualify as volunteering/is this more shadowing/or does this not count at all?
I would include this as Clinical Volunteering in the current pandemic environment. Mention that you did do in-person scribing before your clinic's adaptation to accommodate COVID concerns.

What was your role in the research? Did you make a significant contribution to the project? If questioned closely on it at an interview , would you hold up well to questions on hypothesis, methods, and conclusion?

I'd call it "co-authored" rather than "5th-authored," BTW. Do you have a PMID#?
I cultured cells and performed microscope recordings, which were analyzed for the research. I didn't do the analysis, just the data collection. I could talk about it during an interview, but not very intimately as my work on the project was done in 2013 (about 350 hours over a summer).

I have the PMID. Should I include that or the DOI in the description with the citation?

Thank you again!

I cultured cells and performed microscope recordings, which were analyzed for the research. I didn't do the analysis, just the data collection. I could talk about it during an interview, but not very intimately as my work on the project was done in 2013 (about 350 hours over a summer).

I have the PMID. Should I include that or the DOI in the description with the citation?
I suggest using your option 2: change the category to "Publications" with an April 2020 date and note in the description that the research was done in 2013.

I would cite it first, then include a statement of your contribution, besides the date. Use the PMID# and feel free to abbreviate your citation as needed.

I suggest using your option 2: change the category to "Publications" with an April 2020 date and note in the description that the research was done in 2013.

I would cite it first, then include a statement of your contribution, besides the date. Use the PMID# and feel free to abbreviate your citation as needed.
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

I have a question about what qualifies as leadership for @Catalystik .

I worked as a TA and was selected by my professor to be one of about 12 other TAs (out of a total of 30-40) to teach recitation classes to a specified section in her class. I prepared lesson plans, had my own lecture-type class outside of the professor's lectures, and helped other TAs with their teaching skills at our meetings. From what I've seen, my experience as a TA has a little more leadership incorporated compared to other TA positions, so I ideally would like to highlight those experiences and classify it as Leadership in AMCAS, but I also don't want to incorrectly classify it as leadership if adcomms would see my description and think that I should've just listed it under the Teaching Assistant classification. Does that make sense? What are your thoughts?

I have a question about what qualifies as leadership for @Catalystik .

I worked as a TA and was selected by my professor to be one of about 12 other TAs (out of a total of 30-40) to teach recitation classes to a specified section in her class. I prepared lesson plans, had my own lecture-type class outside of the professor's lectures, and helped other TAs with their teaching skills at our meetings. From what I've seen, my experience as a TA has a little more leadership incorporated compared to other TA positions, so I ideally would like to highlight those experiences and classify it as Leadership in AMCAS, but I also don't want to incorrectly classify it as leadership if adcomms would see my description and think that I should've just listed it under the Teaching Assistant classification. Does that make sense? What are your thoughts?
Helping other TAs with teaching skills and training them is leadership. Did you also lead the TA meetings, come up with new initiatives, recruit new TAs, delegate tasks, take responsibility for the performance of the TAs, take care of scheduling & disciplinary issues? Those would also qualify as displaying the type of peer leadership that adcomms are looking for.

I'd consider what you've listed as illustrating very-strong teaching skills, which is another category valued by med schools, as that's what docs do all day. But from what you've written so far, only a small percent of your job constituted "leadership." Consider tagging it as Teaching or Employment, but including the training responsibility in the title you give the space. JMO.

To follow up on this -
Do you happen to know of anyone who would be willing to give me feedback on my work/activities section for free? I'm not too comfortable sharing my information on the public forum. I've tried to take advantage of all the expertise shared by folks like you here on this forum, but as a non-trad without the support of my pre-health committee, this is a section of my application I am struggling with.
Thank you

Do you happen to know of anyone who would be willing to give me feedback on my work/activities section for free? I'm not too comfortable sharing my information on the public forum. I've tried to take advantage of all the expertise shared by folks like you here on this forum, but as a non-trad without the support of my pre-health committee, this is a section of my application I am struggling with.
Consider posting in the Confidential Consult section, following the guideline stickied at the top of the WAMC forum as to what information to include. You can request that the information you share not be reproduced, as they would otherwise move it to public view with your username removed, after a period of time goes by.

I volunteered at a hospital 7 years ago- 2013, as a freshman in college. I do not remember the hours I spent at all, and I do not have any contacts affiliated with the volunteering. How do I fill this information out?

I am a non-trad student with more than 15+ experiences. Over the years, I have worked in many jobs such as waiter, cook, dishwasher, etc. How important do you think it is to put these in work experiences? Can I bunch them up into one group? I wanted to bunch them up into one group and classify them as one of the meaningful experiences as they were instrumental in my growth as a person I am right now.
Yes, they can be grouped into one space. Rather than mentioning them individually, since they were years ago, perhaps you can more generally refer to "service-oriented jobs" such as 1, 2, & 3. Be sure to include those job titles that required people skills, problem-solving, trust, and responsibility. A description isn't necessary when the public has a universal understanding of what those jobs entailed. This would give you more space for description. If one is more recent, use that one for the Contact. Or use yourself.

I volunteered at a hospital 7 years ago- 2013, as a freshman in college. I do not remember the hours I spent at all, and I do not have any contacts affiliated with the volunteering. How do I fill this information out?
I suggest you might tack this on to your most recent clinical volunteering, as an aside at the end of the entry. Like, "Also volunteered at XXX Hospital in 2013 for Y months for unrecalled number of hours as a [job description]. Alternatively, you could just refer to it in your PS.

Hi everyone,

First post incoming. Not sure if this is the place to add this but I have a couple yes or no questions/simple questions to answer regarding my entry for Work/Activities section on the AMCAS. Feel free to elaborate.

1. A pediatrician I shadowed a while back (5 years ago) for 20 hours retired and I have no contact information besides the business number to her clinic, which is now closed. Should i still include it or will it seem shady? (I have many hours of hospital based shadowing with confirmation btw)

2. I have performed extensive research for my honors thesis (under a science faculty mentor), and I have presented my thesis through a ppt. presentation for my honors thesis day, and poster presentations for >5 different research seminars. How would I go about adding this to my work/activities section?

3. (Last one, I promise) I have two more entries left and was considering adding the following extracurricular experiences; 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do/former amateur boxer and inner city youth boxing mentor/spoken word poetry artist (winner of local poetry competitions.). Are any of these appropriate, and If so, should i lump them together?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First post incoming. Not sure if this is the place to add this but I have a couple yes or no questions/simple questions to answer regarding my entry for Work/Activities section on the AMCAS. Feel free to elaborate.

1. A pediatrician I shadowed a while back (5 years ago) for 20 hours retired and I have no contact information besides the business number to her clinic, which is now closed. Should i still include it or will it seem shady? (I have many hours of hospital based shadowing with confirmation btw)

2. I have performed extensive research for my honors thesis (under a science faculty mentor), and I have presented my thesis through a ppt. presentation for my honors thesis day, and poster presentations for >5 different research seminars. How would I go about adding this to my work/activities section?

3. I have two more entries left and was considering adding the following extracurricular experiences; 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do/former amateur boxer and inner city youth boxing mentor/spoken word poetry artist (winner of local poetry competitions.). Are any of these appropriate, and If so, should i lump them together?
1) If you did this in HS, leave it out. You could still refer to it in your PS, though, as part of your path to medicine.

2) See item 20 in post #2 of this thread for details to consider. Then ask more questions if necessary..

3) For Hobbies (no need for a Contact) or Extracurricular (needs a Contact), put in the boxing and mentoring, +/- the Tae Kwon Do, if room for it. Under Artistic Endeavors add the poetry writing, presenting to the public, and wins. If you never shared publicly, then it's a Hobby to group with the others.

1) If you did this in HS, leave it out. You could still refer to it in your PS, though, as part of your path to medicine.

2) See item 20 in post #2 of this thread for details to consider. Then ask more questions if necessary..

3) For Hobbies (no need for a Contact) or Extracurricular (needs a Contact), put in the boxing and mentoring, +/- the Tae Kwon Do, if room for it. Under Artistic Endeavors add the poetry writing, presenting to the public, and wins. If you never shared publicly, then it's a Hobby to group with the others.

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the help and advice.

Also, back to number one... That shadowing experience was when I was 20 and in community college, around the time where I first really discovered my passion for medicine through a professor of mine. Would that warrant for an inclusion or should I still just mention the PS as suggested?

Also, back to number one... That shadowing experience was when I was 20 and in community college, around the time where I first really discovered my passion for medicine through a professor of mine. Would that warrant for an inclusion or should I still just mention the PS as suggested?
Since it's in primary care and during the college years, it's worth including. I suggest an addendum at the end of your Shadowing entry, like, "20 hrs in 2015, Pediatrics-office hours. MD now retired." Or something that matches the entries about other docs above that.

Couple quick questions:
1. If we wanted to lump volunteering activities through various service organizations under one activity, is there any particular contact that we should put down? I'm asking because my school organization center doesn't really keep a central record of volunteer hours done through different organizations and its the job of the student organizations to keep their own records.
2. As part of some EMT training for my certification I was in an emergency room for about 25 hours over the course of a week. While I was there I basically treated it like shadowing and talked to multiple different doctors while I was there, because the only requirement for the EMT program was that we were there and participating in patient assessment/vitals. I was wondering if I should count this as shadowing since I did find the experience informative as if I was shadowing. If so, who should I put as a contact for this since it was through my EMT school and I wasn't attached to any particular doctor?

Couple quick questions:
1. If we wanted to lump volunteering activities through various service organizations under one activity, is there any particular contact that we should put down? I'm asking because my school organization center doesn't really keep a central record of volunteer hours done through different organizations and its the job of the student organizations to keep their own records.
2. As part of some EMT training for my certification I was in an emergency room for about 25 hours over the course of a week. While I was there I basically treated it like shadowing and talked to multiple different doctors while I was there, because the only requirement for the EMT program was that we were there and participating in patient assessment/vitals. I was wondering if I should count this as shadowing since I did find the experience informative as if I was shadowing. If so, who should I put as a contact for this since it was through my EMT school and I wasn't attached to any particular doctor?
1) You'd put the Contact for the first item listed in the header. For the rest, include it with the description of the activity along with dates and subtotal of hours. If there isn't an officer, site supervisor, or volunteer coordinator with each organization, use a co-volunteer.

2) Yes, you may list it as shadowing in the same space as your other shadowing, using a fair estimate of doctor-only observation, using the instructor/coordinator of the EMT class as Contact.

Thank you. Another question that came to mind: I serve as a volunteer EMT for my college campus that involves us responding to any 911 call or medical call that happens on campus. As part of the agency I have also taken on a few leadership roles such as office positions and also help with some clinical research that the agency does through its research committee. Originally I was just going to try to lump this in all under one activity but I was wondering if it made sense to expand on these areas in individual sections? They're all pretty different with one being clinical volunteering, another being more leadership/administration, and the last one being a form of research.

I serve as a volunteer EMT for my college campus that involves us responding to any 911 call or medical call that happens on campus. As part of the agency I have also taken on a few leadership roles such as office positions and also help with some clinical research that the agency does through its research committee. Originally I was just going to try to lump this in all under one activity but I was wondering if it made sense to expand on these areas in individual sections? They're all pretty different with one being clinical volunteering, another being more leadership/administration, and the last one being a form of research.
I don't see how you could possibly do justice to all those roles in one space. Is your Activities section lacking in any of those categories? At a minimum, try to carve out one of those roles into another space, with its own dates and hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.