*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Thanks, that makes sense. However, one of the tutorings is an MM for me (the refugee/ELL one) and I feel I need all characters for that. Could I just put that alone, then the others in another "tutoring/mentoring/etc." activity slot, or would that be too confusing?

2) For the TA, I've been a lab TA, lecture TA, and grading TA. None were really comparable, at least in meaning, to any of the other activity, and mostly felt like just another class...but I have heard that adcoms sometimes value seeing that an applicant can teach high level material to older students...if this isn't true I'll just delete TAing entirely.
1) Yes. It's fine to group the three together.

2) Keep it if you can squeeze it in. It shouldn't need much description.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I have a quick question about a specific activity and whether it should be added or not. So in high school I started a little "business"/online store to make some extra money to help my mom out and covered my own financial needs since our family income was very low. I basically flipped random things I found through thrifting, yard sales, etc and eventually did more e-commerce stuff. It didn't make a ton of money but it was a hobby that kept me clothed and fed. I stopped for a bit once I got a part time job but I continued again in college (made more money with more orders completed but still not significant enough to file taxes). Would this be classified as 'other' or 'hobby'? Should I consider it a paid employment?
Other or Hobbies would be fine. Your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Other or Hobbies would be fine. Your choice.
That brings me to another question, is it bad to have too many hobbies listed? I lumped together several activities and I have a few spots left. I wasn't planning on adding some things but now that I have more space I'm thinking about adding a total of 3 hobbies. I'm just worried because most people seem like they don't have enough space for their activities

Members don't see this ad :)
That brings me to another question, is it bad to have too many hobbies listed? I lumped together several activities and I have a few spots left. I wasn't planning on adding some things but now that I have more space I'm thinking about adding a total of 3 hobbies. I'm just worried because most people seem like they don't have enough space for their activities
The vast majority group all their hobbies into one space. An exception might be if one hobby is more of an avocation that needs lots of description/explaining, then spreading into two spaces is fine. I cannot recommend using three spaces for this purpose.

Nine to ten spaces are the average used by applicants. Don't spread things out and fluff them up when it won't benefit your application.

The vast majority group all their hobbies into one space. An exception might be if one hobby is more of an avocation that needs lots of description/explaining, then spreading into two spaces is fine. I cannot recommend using three spaces for this purpose.

Nine to ten spaces are the average used by applicants. Don't spread things out and fluff them up when it won't benefit your application.
Wait what? 9 to 10? Is it bad to have all filled? I'm already losing about 7 on publications and honors/fellowships alone...should I just trim things that aren't directly relevant to my 'story'? I'm currently struggling to fit everything in 15...

Wait what? 9 to 10? Is it bad to have all filled? I'm already losing about 7 on publications and honors/fellowships alone...should I just trim things that aren't directly relevant to my 'story'? I'm currently struggling to fit everything in 15...
Average is 9-10; range is 4-15. Filling them all is fine if you're not fluffing up your activities to make them seem more substantial.

That said, maybe you need to condense your publications more and recognitions more. Seven spaces is a lot.

Enter either a zero or the time you sat at an awards ceremony to have the honor conferred.
Yes. That's a big fat "0." You're listing the awards themselves, not the hours you spent in class and studying, grinding away to earn the grades the led to the awards. Those are actually the hours reflected in the credits in your Academic Record section! :cool:

All kidding aside, it's an honor/award/recognition. It's not an activity. It's not expected to have hours associated with it.
I don't know why it didn't occur to me that you can just enter 0. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. So I submitted my application just an hour ago, but as I was going through it, I realized I didn't catch one mistake. In my hobbies, I wrote that I started it during senior year of college, but I put down the wrong date and listed 2015. I was expecting to write about all of my hobbies, but I chose to write about one specifically because it was something I was passionate about--hence why I put down 2015 and then forgot to change it. Is there a way I can change this? Is my application screwed because of this detail?

Hi. So I submitted my application just an hour ago, but as I was going through it, I realized I didn't catch one mistake. In my hobbies, I wrote that I started it during senior year of college, but I put down the wrong date and listed 2015. I was expecting to write about all of my hobbies, but I chose to write about one specifically because it was something I was passionate about--hence why I put down 2015 and then forgot to change it. Is there a way I can change this? Is my application screwed because of this detail?
Not without kissing this cycle goodbye. It's careless, but it happens. Someone would have to be a real anal d-bag to spike you because of it. No sense obsessing on it now. My bet would be that you'll be fine, but, since there is absolutely nothing to be done now, and since it would be crazy to consider bringing attention to it, this is just another example of why it is detrimental to rush and to then go through it after submission.

1) Yes, divide it into three categories. IMO, a Leadership space should include only the dates and hours of leadership roles. Clinical and nonclinical volunteering need to be differentiated.

2) No, it's not weird to separate out the subcomponents of an experience when each is so important to one's candidacy to med school.

3) Explain how you visualize using the Repeated feature and why. Is there a big difference in your year-by-year involvement?
So after dividing it into 3 categories... do I need to spend a sentence in each explaining what it is ("student run non-profit that blah blah blah)? A little tight on space so a little worried about that...

You can't change anything in the Activities section once you submit. You are not "screwed." This is a minor error.

Reactions: 1 users
So after dividing it into 3 categories... do I need to spend a sentence in each explaining what it is ("student run non-profit that blah blah blah)? A little tight on space so a little worried about that...
Yes, there needs to be some explanation for each, since you don't know in which order the experiences will be read by the screener or adcomm. Why not try to get some of it into the title you give the spaces?

Research question: An abstract was presented at an annual journal conference and additionally at a scientific forum in 2018, I am 2nd author on one and 3rd author on the other. I was not at the conference and was not involved in the actual presenting aspect of it, mostly just contributed all the data and kinda helped with edits I guess. Worth listing under "posters/presentations" or should I just mention I also contributed to some presentations under my research MME? I already have a sentence about my contributions to a paper that is being submitted for publication rn (planning on sending an update to schools once it is actually published and also my PI will mention it in his LOR). I did not mention any of these last year cause i kinda forgot about them...

Also is it reasonable for me to leave 2 out of my 14 activities the same? i dont think i can improve them by rewriting... I will be a reapplicant at 7/20ish schools

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Research question: An abstract was presented at an annual journal conference and additionally at a scientific forum in 2018, I am 2nd author on one and 3rd author on the other. I was not at the conference and was not involved in the actual presenting aspect of it, mostly just contributed all the data and kinda helped with edits I guess. Worth listing under "posters/presentations" or should I just mention I also contributed to some presentations under my research MME? I already have a sentence about my contributions to a paper that is being submitted for publication rn (planning on sending an update to schools once it is actually published and also my PI will mention it in his LOR). I did not mention any of these last year cause i kinda forgot about them...

2) Also is it reasonable for me to leave 2 out of my 14 activities the same? i dont think i can improve them by rewriting... I will be a reapplicant at 7/20ish schools
1) It’s worth a Presentations/Posters space. Give credit to the actual presenter. Include your contributions.

2) Yes, that’s reasonable.

I'm looking for some help in classifying an activity, and advice on whether I should even include it in the first place.

As part of my work with a free clinic, I connected us with an organization that provides free immunizations to underserved populations. We have now established a working relationship that allows us to offer this at our location. I was directly responsible for the implementation of safety and maintenance measures on storing the vaccines at our facility. I further ended up working with the immunization program to assist them at other clinics/events.

Our facility led to the entire program receiving the 2018-2019 Outstanding Influenza Season Activities Award from the National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit.

Do I:
1. Include this in the entry for clinical volunteering with the free clinic
2. Make a separate entry for nonclinical volunteering.
3. Enter it as an award/recognition.
4. Not mention it

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I'm looking for some help in classifying an activity, and advice on whether I should even include it in the first place.

As part of my work with a free clinic, I connected us with an organization that provides free immunizations to underserved populations. We have now established a working relationship that allows us to offer this at our location. I was directly responsible for the implementation of safety and maintenance measures on storing the vaccines at our facility. I further ended up working with the immunization program to assist them at other clinics/events.

Our facility led to the entire program receiving the 2018-2019 Outstanding Influenza Season Activities Award from the National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit.

Do I:
1. Include this in the entry for clinical volunteering with the free clinic
2. Make a separate entry for nonclinical volunteering.
3. Enter it as an award/recognition.
4. Not mention it
Does it have enough hours for it to stand alone as an activity? Then use a Volunteer/Community Service-Not Medical Clinical space, including perhaps & Award or Award-Winning in the title of the space. If not, assuming you were a major player in your facility earning the award, then use Honors/Awards/Recognitions. Be sure not to double count hours with your existing Clinical Volunteer space.

Last edited:
Does it have enough hours for it to stand alone as an activity? Then use a Volunteer/Community Service-Not Medical Clinical space, including perhaps & Award or Award-Winning in the title of the space. If not, then use Honors/Awards/Recognitions. Be sure not to double count hours with your existing Clinical Volunteer space.
I dunno. You know waaay more about this stuff than I do, but is it appropriate to list an award as your own that went to a program that a facility you volunteered at was a part of? That seems a little Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon to me. I thought the point was to list awards the applicant receives, not awards programs associated with facilities he volunteers at does.

I think it's fine to mention the award in the activity description, but to actually list it as an award seems like a stretch to me, unless the award actually went to the applicant.

I dunno. You know waaay more about this stuff than I do, but is it appropriate to list an award as your own that went to a program that a facility you volunteered at was a part of? That seems a little Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon to me. I thought the point was to list awards the applicant receives, not awards programs associated with facilities he volunteers at does.

I think it's fine to mention the award in the activity description, but to actually list it as an award seems like a stretch to me, unless the award actually went to the applicant.
You make a good point, and perhaps I overattributed the applicant's responsibility for the facility getting the recognition based on the description. @Rsp24 : what percent of the effort toward getting this award was based on your personal efforts?

I have one leadership activity that I am hesitant to put on my application.

I've been involved in managing an e-sports online gaming community for several years and I've put an extensive amount of time into this.
My roles include managing tournaments, content creation and management, staff management, and creating logos/banners for social media.
I initially was a member but paved my way to a leadership position. The experience also introduced me to an artistic endeavor I've been involved in for quite some time now.

My main concern is how would this be perceived by adcoms? There tends to be a stigma associated with video games in general that may hinder the perspective outlook of a person. However, this activity has exposed me to new skills and experiences that can be written about to reflect my personal development. Would it depend on how I approach and refer to the matter?

I have one leadership activity that I am hesitant to put on my application.

I've been involved in managing an e-sports online gaming community for several years and I've put an extensive amount of time into this.
My roles include managing tournaments, content creation and management, staff management, and creating logos/banners for social media.
I initially was a member but paved my way to a leadership position. The experience also introduced me to an artistic endeavor I've been involved in for quite some time now.

My main concern is how would this be perceived by adcoms? There tends to be a stigma associated with video games in general that may hinder the perspective outlook of a person. However, this activity has exposed me to new skills and experiences that can be written about to reflect my personal development. Would it depend on how I approach and refer to the matter?
Is this a gambling website? Then tread very carefully. Risk takers are not generally greeted with joy in the medical community

Do you have a Contact from the site who knows your true identity who can attest to your contributions and hours of leadership involvement (not including general membership), or, like SDN, are all participants anonymous?

"Leadership" for AMCAS purposes means managing peers, guiding initiatives, and being responsible for overall outcome. Are you doing all the work yourself, or are you delegating? If the former, then rather than leadership, use the tag Extracurricular.

Your same question comes up repeatedly on SDN regarding listing SDN involvement, and the balance of opinion is not to do it, despite that some of us have contributed hundreds to thousands of hours in (what we think of as) an altruistic endeavor.

Would it depend on how you approach and refer to the matter? Yes.

Do the MME descriptions need to relate in some way or another to medicine? One of my substantial activities that is non-clinical, non-healthcare related, non-volunteer, etc. I have designated as Most Meaningful. Should I tie medicine into the description or can I just discuss how it's meaningful to me in general as a person?

1) Do the MME descriptions need to relate in some way or another to medicine? One of my substantial activities that is non-clinical, non-healthcare related, non-volunteer, etc. I have designated as Most Meaningful. 2) Should I tie medicine into the description or can I just discuss how it's meaningful to me in general as a person?
1) No.
2) Just discuss why it's personally meaningful to you.

Is this a gambling website? Then tread very carefully. Risk takers are not generally greeted with joy in the medical community

Do you have a Contact from the site who knows your true identity who can attest to your contributions and hours of leadership involvement (not including general membership), or, like SDN, are all participants anonymous?

"Leadership" for AMCAS purposes means managing peers, guiding initiatives, and being responsible for overall outcome. Are you doing all the work yourself, or are you delegating? If the former, then rather than leadership, use the tag Extracurricular.

Your same question comes up repeatedly on SDN regarding listing SDN involvement, and the balance of opinion is not to do it, despite that some of us have contributed hundreds to thousands of hours in (what we think of as) an altruistic endeavor.

Would it depend on how you approach and refer to the matter? Yes.
Nope! Not a gambling website. It's a website that manages call of duty tournaments and e-sports events!

Yes! I have several contacts that vouch on my behalf and attest to my contributions.

As for leadership, I've been the main person that has been involved in managing peers, guiding initiatives, and being responsible for overall outcome.

The question has come up before (did go through sdn and online searches to dig up some perspectives), however, there isn't a clear-cut answer as some have used the experience and some haven't. There might be more sway in favor of not mentioning it, but nothing concrete. It's just that this activity has, as mentioned already, exposed me to new skills and experiences that can be written about to reflect my personal development.

If I can reflect this in how I approach the topic with this in mind, should I include it?

Nope! Not a gambling website. It's a website that manages call of duty tournaments and e-sports events!

Yes! I have several contacts that vouch on my behalf and attest to my contributions.

As for leadership, I've been the main person that has been involved in managing peers, guiding initiatives, and being responsible for overall outcome.

The question has come up before (did go through sdn and online searches to dig up some perspectives), however, there isn't a clear-cut answer as some have used the experience and some haven't. There might be more sway in favor of not mentioning it, but nothing concrete. It's just that this activity has, as mentioned already, exposed me to new skills and experiences that can be written about to reflect my personal development.

If I can reflect this in how I approach the topic with this in mind, should I include it?
I will bring up two more considerations. First, if your in-person volunteering/work/research/etc are minimal, then concerns may be raised about whether you can interact effectively in-person, a skill that is highly important for a med school candidate. Too many on-line activities over the college years won't reflect well. OTOH, if you had plenty of in-person activities previously and LORs that comment positively on your interpersonal skills, then using the COVID year to expand a leadership opportunity is less likely to be detrimental.

May you include it? Certainly.

Should you include it? If you can express yourself as well on the application as you did here, expand on the impact, and have glowing LORs that attest to your positive attributes, it won't hurt you.

Might it be a positive? Maybe. I cannot predict this, knowing the variability of adcomm backgrounds. Feel free to seek other opinions elsewhere on SDN.

You make a good point, and perhaps I overattributed the applicant's responsibility for the facility getting the recognition based on the description. @Rsp24 : what percent of the effort toward getting this award was based on your personal efforts?
I'd say I handled 90% of the logistics of the program at our facility. As a reminder, our facility was one of at least 10 that contributed to the program receiving the award.

I'd say I handled 90% of the logistics of the program at our facility. As a reminder, our facility was one of at least 10 that contributed to the program receiving the award.
I suggest discussion of your efforts go into a Volunteer-Not Medical/Clinical space. I did not appreciate that there were so many other facilities involved in earning the program award and that the recognition was not predominantly based on your personal achievement. Sorry I misunderstood. Be sure to provide a clear picture of the basis for the award in your narrative.

1. Having a hard time with character count... Have been using bullet points for experience descriptions and had some minor questions. Can I use "etc" when listing responsibilities or is that too informal? There is one activity I am diving up the hours in the description, can I use "hrs" or again is that too informal?

2. I forgot that I spent about 400+ hours babysitting (paid employment) last year, I already grouped all my undergrad employment in one thing and def can't fit more things. It would put me right at 15 activities and I dont want to seem like I'm fluffing... But also my activities 2020 (esp when covid hit) are very low in hours so maybe it could help to see that i didn't just sit around doing nothing...?

3. I have an artistic endeavor already (played violin since i was 8) but was thinking about putting painting and training my dog (7hours/week x1 year now) under hobbies. Given I already have artistic endeavors should I just not put hobbies? I'm worried having 15 activities may detract attention from some of my more meaningful/tangible activities.
Otherwise I have 1 activity (clinical volunteering) that's 64 hours and the rest are 200-3350 (averaging 717 hours)

Last edited:
1. Having a hard time with character count... Have been using bullet points for experience descriptions and had some minor questions. a) Can I use "etc" when listing responsibilities or is that too informal? b) There is one activity I am diving up the hours in the description, can I use "hrs" or again is that too informal?

2. I forgot that I spent about 400+ hours babysitting (paid employment) last year, I already grouped all my undergrad employment in one thing and def can't fit more things. It would put me right at 15 activities and I dont want to seem like I'm fluffing... But also my activities 2020 (esp when covid hit) are very low in hours so maybe it could help to see that i didn't just sit around doing nothing...?

3. I have an artistic endeavor already (played violin since i was 8) but was thinking about putting painting and training my dog (7hours/week x1 year now) under hobbies. Given I already have artistic endeavors should I just not put hobbies? I'm worried having 15 activities may detract attention from some of my more meaningful/tangible activities.
Otherwise I have 1 activity (clinical volunteering) that's 64 hours and the rest are 200-3350 (averaging 717 hours)
1a) Can you give me an example of the sentence where you want to use "etc."
1b) Using "hrs" is fine.

2) I agree the babysitting should be included. Maybe you could condense further some of the collegiate nonclinical employment further, where it's generally known what the job description would be. An overall summary of job titles is also acceptable. Instead of listing every Contact (after the first), say, "Contacts available on request." Try it out and see if you can make it work.

3) Include the Hobbies entry.

1a) Can you give me an example of the sentence where you want to use "etc."
1b) Using "hrs" is fine.

2) I agree the babysitting should be included. Maybe you could condense further some of the collegiate nonclinical employment further, where it's generally known what the job description would be. An overall summary of job titles is also acceptable. Instead of listing every Contact (after the first), say, "Contacts available on request." Try it out and see if you can make it work.

3) Include the Hobbies entry.
"Executed logistics for other board members: reserved venues, gathered volunteers, etc"

hours are in the repeated feature, I just kept my main takeaways and the contacts fit! would this be too vague? :

2018: Residential Community – Office Assistant
-Improved organization & time management
- Contact, phone number

2018: Stoney River Steakhouse – Server
-Learned how to anticipate needs, de-escalate guests, work as team, and multitask
-Contact, phone number

2019: CCS (expanded in the activity name) – Server/Barista, Manager
-Established server training guidelines
-Promoted to manager
-Grew as a leader by balancing a collaborative workspace with a demand for diligence
(contact info in the activity name)

2020: Nannying
-2 girls, ages 6 & 8
-prepared for school, homework, meals, chores, appointments
-Contact, Phone number

I can't thank you enough!!!!

1) "Executed logistics for other board members: reserved venues, gathered volunteers, etc"

2) hours are in the repeated feature, I just kept my main takeaways and the contacts fit! would this be too vague? :

2018: Residential Community – Office Assistant
-Improved organization & time management
- Contact, phone number

2018: Stoney River Steakhouse – Server
-Learned how to anticipate needs, de-escalate guests, work as team, and multitask
-Contact, phone number

2019: CCS (expanded in the activity name) – Server/Barista, Manager
-Established server training guidelines
-Promoted to manager
-Grew as a leader by balancing a collaborative workspace with a demand for diligence
(contact info in the activity name)

2020: Nannying
-2 girls, ages 6 & 8
-prepared for school, homework, meals, chores, appointments
-Contact, Phone number
1) Don‘t use “etc”

2) Looks good. You got the important points in.

1) It’s worth a Presentations/Posters space. Give credit to the actual presenter. Include your contributions.

2) Yes, that’s reasonable.
So the abstract was the same for both conferences, but im 3rd author on one (5/2018) and 2nd author on the other (10/2018)... can I have the abstract title and separate the rest of the citation by date? like this:

Title of abstract

5/2018: names, names, my name, journal, pages
presented by name at xx conference

10/2018: names, my name, names, different journal, pages
presented by name at xx scientific forum

Data also orally presented at xxx undergraduate research symposium
(for this i created my own poster and presented it myself in 4/2018 using only the data i collected whereas the actual abstracts had older data as well, so not sure if i should just list it completely separate with its own title and author list and everything, there is no record of this poster anywhere unfortunately as it was through class credit, so maybe i shouldnt list it at all?)

1) So the abstract was the same for both conferences, but im 3rd author on one (5/2018) and 2nd author on the other (10/2018)... can I have the abstract title and separate the rest of the citation by date? like this:

Title of abstract

5/2018: names, names, my name, journal, pages
presented by name at xx conference

10/2018: names, my name, names, different journal, pages
presented by name at xx scientific forum

2) Data also orally presented at xxx undergraduate research symposium
(for this i created my own poster and presented it myself in 4/2018 using only the data i collected whereas the actual abstracts had older data as well, so not sure if i should just list it completely separate with its own title and author list and everything, there is no record of this poster anywhere unfortunately as it was through class credit, so maybe i shouldnt list it at all?)
1) Yes.
2) It's OK to add it to that list, as the same PI/Contact can validate them all. Maybe say:

Also, subset of above data solely collected by myself presented orally and by poster at xxx undergraduate research symposium 4/2018: Title, author list.

3) Also, don't list the ASCO attendance in a Conferences Attended space. It will be looked at as fluff. [You might as well just list every class you ever took as a passive learner, if you do so.]

Hi all,

I know there is a thread with personal statement readers, I was wondering if there is also a thread of users willing to review the W/A section. I was unable to find it with the search function.

Thanks!

How valuable is it to be listed on an abstract that has been accepted at a major conference if you will not be the presenting author? If I am already at 15 activities, would you recommend removing a 4-year-old research experience that wasn't super impactful to make way for a posters/presentations slot? I have previously applied with this 4-year-old research experience and these abstracts will be an update to my previous app.

How valuable is it to be listed on an abstract that has been accepted at a major conference if you will not be the presenting author? If I am already at 15 activities, would you recommend removing a 4-year-old research experience that wasn't super impactful to make way for a posters/presentations slot? I have previously applied with this 4-year-old research experience and these abstracts will be an update to my previous app.
It is valuable to have an accepted abstract that passed the peer review process in order to get accepted for a major conference. That you could not be there to present does not detract from the accomplishment.

I cannot recommend removing a 4-year research experience, unless you mainly washed glassware, or some such. Might you squeeze the abstract citation into the affiliated Research space? Or consider grouping two other similar activities to allow for a Presentations/Posters slot?

Is unpaid or volunteer mentoring/tutoring viewed in the same light as nonclinical volunteering? Is it beneficial to list them separately? I always thought 'tutoring' or teaching of sorts was viewed in the 'nonclinical' pillar of volunteering, yet AMCAS seems to view it differently. According to my application, I have 1 nonclinical activity with low hours, but a mountain load of the tutoring/teaching/TAing tab. Would it be beneficial to move the volunteering mentor activity, also an MM, to nonclinical? Or is this just pointless worry.

Also, I ended up realizing I condensed two activities into one that were quite distinct. It was a charitable organization turned business. I've split it into each respective category, since the actions/things we were (are) doing during each are vastly different—would these both go under leadership (elsewhere)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is unpaid or volunteer mentoring/tutoring viewed in the same light as nonclinical volunteering? Is it beneficial to list them separately? I always thought 'tutoring' or teaching of sorts was viewed in the 'nonclinical' pillar of volunteering, yet AMCAS seems to view it differently. According to my application, I have 1 nonclinical activity with low hours, but a mountain load of the tutoring/teaching/TAing tab. Would it be beneficial to move the volunteering mentor activity, also an MM, to nonclinical? Or is this just pointless worry.
Yes, it would be beneficial to list some of those activities under the Nonclinical Volunteering designation, especially if they have solid Organizations and Contacts. Leave something under Teaching/Tutoring if possible, but the Volunteer category is more important to your application.

1) Would I just mention at the end of my research description that I have 2 abstracts listed below that have been accepted to major conferences (then put the citations)?

2) The research I'd remove I only participated in for ~6 months over 4 years ago.. plus in past cycles, the PI from that lab accidentally wrote a LOR for me with the wrong first name in it that I unknowingly used until a school informed me :( 3) would it be better to just completely remove any mention of that PI/lab from my app or would that look fishy?
1) Yes.
2) Sorry I misunderstood. Since the research experience was only 6 months long, you can refrain from listing it.
3) You may do so as you are supposed to be listing the 15 most important experiences, not every single one of them. So it would not "look fishy" to take out a non-impactful lab experience.

Hi, so I have worked as a full-time EMT for the last two years for two different organizations. While I have had life and death emergencies (as well as less critical but still emotionally moving ones) while off the clock I have been called to render aid to strangers in various situations (one where I was in the middle of going to work). This was affiliated with neither organization although in some cases I was wearing my uniform going home / going to work, but some of these moments are intensely memorable as the person / patient I helped was unconscious. Of course, these patients have to be transferred to a higher level of care. This would be about five different incidents for about five hours total. Is it worth listing? In many cases my colleagues say they would have "walked on" or told bystanders "i'm off duty, not my problem, sorry" whereas I stopped to render aid knowing I was protected under the Good Samaritan Law.

I am a working class non-traditional student and my existing paid clinical job takes up a lot of time in addition to my academics and COVID-19 also disrupted my plans for non-clinical volunteering, but I always try to help out my community whenever possible, but unfortunately this hasn't been very structured.

also I'm trying to find some basic examples of activity descriptions for EMTs with thousands of hours of clinical experience but unfortunately I keep getting threads about those who have taken a class with no work experience.

I have been struggling to write a summary that does justice to my experiences which have been diverse and at times intense. On one hand, I have lost count of all the times I 've sat with bed-confined patients at appointments and getting to "unofficially" shadow their physicians in the process. I've watched really cool procedures happen from wound care appointments to pre-op vascular surgery procedures. I've had to advocate for patients with dementia directly to their physician and what I know about their history from reading and taking report at their facility whereas their nursing home aide escorts were frequently really clueless (and somehow seemed proud of it). I also work 4 overnights a week and have lost count of my life and death high acuity calls out of facilities (occasionally flagdowns) and often work directly with 911 (flagdowns, ALS transfers, bariatric patients). I've been privileged to have the family of patients near the end of their lives thank me even as hospital staff lose enthusiasm the moment they hear "DNR." I could write a small novella about my "most meaningful experiences."

I am just trying to find a few AMCAS activity description examples for non-traditional premeds who have followed the same path I have.

also I'm trying to find some basic examples of activity descriptions for EMTs with thousands of hours of clinical experience but unfortunately I keep getting threads about those who have taken a class with no work experience.

I have been struggling to write a summary that does justice to my experiences which have been diverse and at times intense.

I could write a small novella about my "most meaningful experiences."

I am just trying to find a few AMCAS activity description examples for non-traditional premeds who have followed the same path I have.
Someone has to write them. Who better than you??? Why do you think copying what someone else wrote will do justice to your experiences?

Just from your post, you seem perfectly capable of writing a compelling description! :)

while off the clock I have been called to render aid to strangers in various situations (one where I was in the middle of going to work). This would be about five different incidents for about five hours total. Is it worth listing?
Not unless you group it with other short-term volunteering.

Not unless you group it with other short-term volunteering.
I have pretty detailed stories for each one, one involved highly public situations that delayed an entire train; at times I have had to lift unconscious or severely debilitated people when no one wanted to help. My overall message for this specific activity description is "duty to help" because I have found at times the public (or even the police) seem inclined to content themselves with being spectators and unwilling to lift a finger / or help me lift a 200 lbs unresponsive person off his airway or feel like it's not their problem because the patient is homeless and seems grimey.

my other short-term volunteering involves tutoring and are not related / clinical

Someone has to write them. Who better than you??? Why do you think copying what someone else wrote will do justice to your experiences?

Just from your post, you seem perfectly capable of writing a compelling description! :)
not the content, just the format, being inspired by others' strategic use of the character count

I have pretty detailed stories for each one, one involved highly public situations that delayed an entire train; at times I have had to lift unconscious or severely debilitated people when no one wanted to help. My overall message for this specific activity description is "duty to help" because I have found at times the public (or even the police) seem inclined to content themselves with being spectators and unwilling to lift a finger / or help me lift a 200 lbs unresponsive person off his airway.

my other short-term volunteering involves tutoring and are not related / clinical
There is no rule against listing a five-hour experience on its own. I've never seen it done for volunteering, but if it was highly-impactful reading, I might forget how short-term it was. Alternatively, you might save it for responses to Secondary prompts, where suitable.

More so in this last year at my school, since we are reviewing applications at home, where we may not have the same robust virus protection software that they do on school premises.

I think that quote may have come in response to an Artistic Endeavor enquiry. You are asking about a news article, the source for which may not have been an objective observer. I've discouraged including accolades like that for longer than this last year.
@Catalystik I was considering including a link to my art portfolio/ website for my artistic endeavors activity. Should I not include that in the description? Thank you in advance!

@Catalystik I was considering including a link to my art portfolio/ website for my artistic endeavors activity. Should I not include that in the description? T
It is preferred not to give a direct link, but giving the name of the website for them to search out on their own is fine.