*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Practice explaining it without insider terms to your non-Jewish friends. Make it simple. If you have too much not-generally-recognized terminology, screeners will stop reading and skim, just as if you were explaining some sort of jargon-ridden research topic. The hallmark of a good teacher is that they can explain complex topics in an understandable manner, so that the information is retained.

As @Goro said, you can maybe use Secondary essays for Touro and YU (Einstein) to explain in more detail.
All of this is predicated on these two schools valuing and prioritizing this the way that Loma Linda does. Is that, in fact, the case? If not, while all of this is very interesting, is it going to impact an admission decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I only presented my research at my university's research symposium. Is a symposium still worth listing under 'conference', or should I just include the fact that I did this under 'presentations/posters'? Thanks!
What process was required in order to participate in your college research symposium? Was it competitive? Were you required to present due to the project being part of a class? Or, were you invited to present? Was there faculty review and oversight after an application to participate was submitted? (In which case, what percent of applicants were selected?)

All of this is predicated on these two schools valuing and prioritizing this the way that Loma Linda does. Is that, in fact, the case? If not, while all of this is very interesting, is it going to impact an admission decision?
YU is a modern Orthodox school and literally pioneered the original concept of Torah Umadda. It has shomer shabbat residencies and certified kosher dining halls and would never schedule an exam on yom tov, compared to some other much less Jewish-friendly schools in NYC. I had so many tutoring students who were literally just Jewish students (many who weren't Orthodox) trying to catch up after high holy days because their schools didn't recognize yom tov dates on the academic calendar (compared to CUNY schools and other public institutions in NY). I know Einstein is a run a bit differently than YU undergrad (which has blocked LGBT groups from forming on campus), in particular because Mr Einstein wasn't a particularly frum individual...

The other issue is that I'm transgender (which is readily accepted by Reconstructionist, Reform and Conservative authorities but is more controversial in modern Orthodoxy) and I talk about it as part of my application (it is a big part of my personal statement as well as my disadvantaged statement) because my experiences as a trans patient (as well as my time in LGBT youth shelters) have heavily influenced the reasons I wish to enter medicine. Firstly, my experience it has always been some sort of unnecessary drama when I try to inform employers and professors I require accommodations for Shabbat ("I had no idea you were Jewish!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:) and secondly I feel like Orthodox adcom members at YU and Touro-associated schools might be more friendly towards a trans applicant who is Jewish versus a trans applicant who is not (based off my legal name, which has been gender-congruent for years but Asian-reading). I also feel ashamed my Yiddish and [modern / non-prayer-book-based] Hebrew is not up to par with some of my colleagues but I am working on that (as an EMT, I can conduct a super basic medical interview in Yiddish).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What process was required in order to participate in your college research symposium? Was it competitive? Were you required to present due to the project being part of a class? Or, were you invited to present? Was there faculty review and oversight after an application to participate was submitted? (In which case, what percent of applicants were selected?)
Hello! Yes there was faculty review and oversight, as I submitted an abstract to be able to participate. So I was not invited, but I did apply to be able to present. The project was my own project that I had the opportunity to develop while doing research, so it was not related to any classes. In terms of number of applicants selected, probably most unless you had a really bad abstract. It was not necessarily competitive. Thanks!

Hello! Yes there was faculty review and oversight, as I submitted an abstract to be able to participate. So I was not invited, but I did apply to be able to present. The project was my own project that I had the opportunity to develop while doing research, so it was not related to any classes. In terms of number of applicants selected, probably most unless you had a really bad abstract. It was not necessarily competitive. Thanks!
I suggest you not use the Conferences Attended tag, since this one was related to your campus. You may use the Presentations/Posters tag, but it would be better to cite it in your Research space on the affiliated project (where you will really shine, since it’s your own project) to keep the context and because of the not-very-competitive process for inclusion.

Is it common, normal, good or bad to have 2/3 most meaningful activities be non-clinical related. As of now my 3 most meaningful activities are clinical volunteering in the ER, Running Track on a collegiate team, and Hunting. My other activities include some volunteer positions, photography as a hobby, delivery driving, shadowing a trauma fellow, and cooking.

Is it common, normal, good or bad to have 2/3 most meaningful activities be non-clinical related. As of now my 3 most meaningful activities are clinical volunteering in the ER, Running Track on a collegiate team, and Hunting. My other activities include some volunteer positions, photography as a hobby, delivery driving, shadowing a trauma fellow, and cooking.
It’s common and normal to include one clinical MM among other activities.

I suggest you not use the Conferences Attended tag, since this one was related to your campus. You may use the Presentations/Posters tag, but it would be better to cite it in your Research space on the affiliated project (where you will really shine, since it’s your own project) to keep the context and because of the not-very-competitive process for inclusion.
Thank you for the help, Catalystik!

I’m an older career-changer and have 14 entries + 1 for hobbies. I pack a lot into each entry and there’s no fluff. Do I need put my hobbies in a narrative form, like 4 sentences? Can I just list them? I’ve already made so much meaning from my life and I just want my hobbies to be hobbies.
Either format is fine.

Thanks for your amazing insight!

I was wondering if 5 or 6 activities were too few. I'm a non-trad who mostly went to work and school with minimal volunteering :cryi: Is there a point where I would be screened for too few activities listed, even if the listed activities amounted to a substantial number of hours?

I was wondering if 5 or 6 activities were too few. I'm a non-trad who mostly went to work and school with minimal volunteering :cryi: Is there a point where I would be screened for too few activities listed, even if the listed activities amounted to a substantial number of hours?
Fewer than five Activities slots would raise eyebrows. Nine to ten is the average listed.

Is it fine to not be as "reflective" on an activity if you know you have a very strong / detailed LOR from it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it fine to not be as "reflective" on an activity if you know you have a very strong / detailed LOR from it?
The LOR reader will get the writer's perspective only, not your assessment of the impact, what you learned, insights gained, future direction, &/or your takeaways from the activity. It seems to me you'd want to "reflect" on some of those areas. They are suggestions only.

With the most meaningful selection, I was wondering if I could just take up both the sections with a fluid piece of writing or do I have to break it apart. I think take some time to make it sound about the same.
After 695-700 characters, anything else you write in the first box will be cut off. The 1325 character MM area below is separate. When printed out the Activity space will show a blank line between the two areas that looks like a paragraph break. If you want to enter a single essay, that's fine, but be sure that you stop typing in the top box, right about where a new paragraph would be logical, before continuing your essay in the lower box. Use the PRINT function on the Main menu to check out the final appearance.

You don’t need to provide a reference from someone who knew you, just a Contact who can verify the timeframe of your employment. So use the payroll office or Human Resources. Or a coworker. Or as a last resort, yourself.

Heyyy coming back to this. If I'm putting payroll office down as the contact info, do I put contact info as like, "payroll office," And that's that?

Heyyy coming back to this. If I'm putting payroll office down as the contact info, do I put contact info as like, "payroll office," And that's that?
If it's in the header of the space:
Title of Contact: Contact (or Official, or Clerk, or whoever you reach at that location.)
First Name: Payroll
Last name: Office

It will print out as Payroll Office, Contact. Add an email or phone number to reach them.

If it's in the header of the space:
Title of Contact: Contact (or Official, or Clerk, or whoever you reach at that location.)
First Name: Payroll
Last name: Office

It will print out as Payroll Office, Contact. Add an email or phone number to reach them.

You are a kiiiiing. Yeah, like, finding out certain divisions of places I was at having closed down this past year, or people who were previously my contact info either going to another position or just straight up leaving their respective industries has made the contact section this year....hard lol.

is remote scribing considered medical/clinical or not medical/clinical for experience type on AMCAS?

is remote scribing considered medical/clinical or not medical/clinical for experience type on AMCAS?
Remote scribing is considered Not Medical/Clinical, as one is not in the presence of current patients and is not interacting with them.

A blend of remote and in-person scribing might be considered differently, depending on how much in-person experience one had.

If I took biology again after graduating at a community college for a better grade, is this considered a repeat course for AMCAS?

If I took biology again after graduating at a community college for a better grade, is this considered a repeat course for AMCAS?
This is a thread dedicated to the Activities section, but my recall of the AMCAS instructions suggests it would only be a Repeated class if you took both at the same school.

I'll be applying next cycle and am currently looking into getting more clinical experiences. I'm currently working as an MA at a private practice and I want to try something new in a different setting soon.

1) I might have the option of hospital volunteering, but it doesn't sound super interesting to me compared to my other option, which is volunteering at a hospice home. I would rather do the hospice volunteering.
2) That being said, would it be detrimental if my clinical experiences were limited to smaller settings and not a hospital?
1) Keep in mind that all in-home hospice roles will not be considered "Clinical." If you are, eg, cooking, cleaning, shopping, doing laundry, that is Not Clinical. So pay attention to the volunteer-position description.
2) No.

@Catalystik, did you notice that this year's thread doesn't have much activity compared to prior years?

Thoughts?

@Catalystik, did you notice that this year's thread doesn't have much activity compared to prior years?

Thoughts?
I have noticed. Perhaps last year’s thread was stuffed with sufficient Searchable tips that many applicants-in-progress found answers to their questions and felt enough well prepared. Or maybe the FAQ are now sufficiently fleshed out. Questions do tend to be very similar from year to year.

I apologize if this is not the right thread for this question but didn't get a response on the general tips thread... I put 1000+ expected clinical hours since I thought I would be continuing to scribe (Already have like 1200+ hours completed), but now I will actually be doing a 1 year master's program. Would I address this in secondaries if given space? and should I explicitly mention that my primary does not reflect this change? Like "There has been a recent change to my gap year plans and rather than continuing to scribe I will be completing XX program." ? Thank you!

I apologize if this is not the right thread for this question but didn't get a response on the general tips thread... I put 1000+ expected clinical hours since I thought I would be continuing to scribe (Already have like 1200+ hours completed), but now I will actually be doing a 1 year master's program. Would I address this in secondaries if given space? and should I explicitly mention that my primary does not reflect this change? Like "There has been a recent change to my gap year plans and rather than continuing to scribe I will be completing XX program." ? Thank you!
You have sufficient completed clinical hours that the lose of the future hours won't make a difference in your application, so no worries there, but if given the opportunity, yes, it is reasonable to state the change in gap year plans as you describe. But: Are you thinking the masters program makes your application more interesting? Are you sure to complete it by July 2022? How will it look if you drop out or get mediocre grades? In other words, is it in your best interests to mention it?

I've given two TEDx talks on topics unrelated to my science research, but are related to side projects (disability advocacy and interdisciplinary collaboration) that are very close to heart for me. I'm not sure if I should put them down as a presentation or hobby for future applications. I do have 4 conference presentations for my scientific research on that side.

A Hobbies tag is fine if you don't have a solid Contact, but you might also consider using Teaching.

Had a strange dilemma that I was hoping someone could help out with:

I submitted and have gotten my AMCAS app verified. I currently work as a COVID vaccinator, but due to lack of vaccine uptake in my area, my shifts have been cut significantly and I likely will not meet the hours that I put down on AMCAS activities. I listed the activity as such (combined completed and projected because the projection was only out for another month) -

Paid Employment - COVID Vaccinator: 270 hours, 03/2021-07/2021
This is listed as an MME, and I do not have a LOR from this activity (though I can get one if needed).
Expected to complete around 220 by the time I finish up. Is this something I should note down on my secondaries? I realize I should've just split into completed and projected as I did for my other activities, but the small gap until I finished dissuaded me from doing so.

Thanks!

Had a strange dilemma that I was hoping someone could help out with:

I submitted and have gotten my AMCAS app verified. I currently work as a COVID vaccinator, but due to lack of vaccine uptake in my area, my shifts have been cut significantly and I likely will not meet the hours that I put down on AMCAS activities. I listed the activity as such (combined completed and projected because the projection was only out for another month) -

Paid Employment - COVID Vaccinator: 270 hours, 03/2021-07/2021
This is listed as an MME, and I do not have a LOR from this activity (though I can get one if needed).
Expected to complete around 220 by the time I finish up. Is this something I should note down on my secondaries? I realize I should've just split into completed and projected as I did for my other activities, but the small gap until I finished dissuaded me from doing so.

Thanks!
I honestly don't think you need to update schools about a 50 hour discrepancy, since the 220 you'd be able to get validated through your Contact would be a satisfactory level of involvement.

I honestly don't think you need to update schools about a 50 hour discrepancy, since the 220 you'd be able to get validated through your Contact would be a satisfactory level of involvement.
I appreciate the response! I had another quick question - if my plans changed and I'm forced to move during my gap year, thus nulling the other projected hours I'm able to complete on my application, does that have to be noted on secondaries or is an update letter sufficient? Simply because I am not sure whether I'm moving or not yet, and the uncertainty puts me in a weird spot where I would not like to be late when submitting my secondaries (about a week left to submit UCLA, for example).

if my plans changed and I'm forced to move during my gap year, thus nulling the other projected hours I'm able to complete on my application, does that have to be noted on secondaries or is an update letter sufficient? Simply because I am not sure whether I'm moving or not yet, and the uncertainty puts me in a weird spot where I would not like to be late when submitting my secondaries (about a week left to submit UCLA, for example).
An update letter (where allowed) later on would be fine. I suggest waiting until after you have replaced the ongoing activities with others near your new address. Fortunately, in general, you separated out current and future hours, so no rush.

Since they are all related, I think its reasonable to mention the accepted thesis and submitted manuscript in the same Presentions/Posters space, if you make the connection clear. Do not use a Publication space, as this would be premature. Also, consider refraining from mentioning the journal, as it may take multiple submissions before an acceptance is offered.
Hi @Catalystik,

Yesterday my 1st author, original manuscript was accepted!

I am now hoping to update schools on the new accepted status change as I understand that a basic science manuscript “under review” holds little weight.

My question is as follows: Would it be reasonable to update schools this early in the cycle on the accepted manuscript and without a DOI? I am considering this format: “Author A, Author B, Author C. Name of Paper. Journal. In Press.” I could wait for the article to be fully published, but I do not know how long this could take and have already submitted secondaries to 35 schools.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi @Catalystik,

Yesterday my 1st author, original manuscript was accepted!

I am now hoping to update schools on the new accepted status change as I understand that a basic science manuscript “under review” holds little weight.

My question is as follows: Would it be reasonable to update schools this early in the cycle on the accepted manuscript and without a DOI? I am considering this format: “Author A, Author B, Author C. Name of Paper. Journal. In Press.” I could wait for the article to be fully published, but I do not know how long this could take and have already submitted secondaries to 35 schools.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Congratulations!

How many of those 35 schools allow pre-interview updates? Do you have proof of the acceptance in your possession, pending the DOI (or better, a PubMedID#)?

With an acceptance letter there is generally some indication of when publication or e-pub ahead of print will happen. Or your PI may have an idea of the usual lag time based on previous acceptances with that journal. Alternatively, the journal may have asked for some minor revision. Is any of this the case?

Congratulations!

How many of those 35 schools allow pre-interview updates? Do you have proof of the acceptance in your possession, pending the DOI (or better, a PubMedID#)?

With an acceptance letter there is generally some indication of when publication or e-pub ahead of print will happen. Or your PI may have an idea of the usual lag time based on previous acceptances with that journal. Alternatively, the journal may have asked for some minor revision. Is any of this the case?
Thank you!

I am not sure where to find which schools specifically allow pre-interview updates. Many of my schools have "update portals," in which I was thinking of just adding the update there. If they do not have a portal, I was going to check the school's websites and then e-mail the admissions committee if allowed.

Regarding the manuscript, we went through two rounds of minor revisions and received notice of the final decision acceptance just yesterday.

I have an acceptance letter that states we will be contacted to complete the grant of rights shortly. Afterward, we will receive our proofs. The journal states that upon receipts of the corrected proofs this will be the official first publication citable with a DOI.

Should I wait for the completion of this process and then update with the DOI? I am not sure when I will get a PubMedID# or how that process occurs.

Thank you!

I am not sure where to find which schools specifically allow pre-interview updates. Many of my schools have "update portals," in which I was thinking of just adding the update there. If they do not have a portal, I was going to check the school's websites and then e-mail the admissions committee if allowed.

Regarding the manuscript, we went through two rounds of minor revisions and received notice of the final decision acceptance just yesterday.

I have an acceptance letter that states we will be contacted to complete the grant of rights shortly. Afterward, we will receive our proofs. The journal states that upon receipts of the corrected proofs this will be the official first publication citable with a DOI.

Should I wait for the completion of this process and then update with the DOI? I am not sure when I will get a PubMedID# or how that process occurs.
IMO, having a letter of acceptance in hand is "proof" enough to proceed with an update. The consequence of lying about such a matter would be devastating, aka, rescission of an acceptance even years later.

But some adcomms/reviewers like to take a look and it's frustrating when one can't accommodate one's curiosity immediately. A DOI is nice, but all institutions aren't members with full access. A PMID# (in my not-wide experience) shows up within two weeks of publication and is far more accessible, even on home computers (where many of us do our reviews now). So you need to consider the balance of how this information will effect each individual school's consideration now, vs in a month from now.

I wouldn't blame you for wanting to update research-focused schools immediately considering the time lag that may ensue from this point to a PMID#. If it's not clearly stated on the Application Info site, I suggest checking FAQ for each institution you want to update to be sure there are no prohibitions to using the portal, time-wise, limitation to one update only, post-interview only, etc. Another place to look would be last year's School Specific threads accessible at the top of the main forum.

Thank you @Catalystik for your very thorough response - I really appreciate it!

I did my own research and found that this journal publishes manuscripts online electronically ahead of press including both a DOI and PMID. The timeframe seems to be roughly 2-4 weeks based on recent articles.

My only worry is that I have applied to several T20 schools, which seem to be heavily research focused, and this 1st author pending update could hold some weight.

Based on this new timeframe (2-4 weeks) do you think it is worth it to update now as an accepted MS in press, or would it be wiser to wait?

Thank you @Catalystik for your very thorough response - I really appreciate it!

I did my own research and found that this journal publishes manuscripts online electronically ahead of press including both a DOI and PMID. The timeframe seems to be roughly 2-4 weeks based on recent articles.

My only worry is that I have applied to several T20 schools, which seem to be heavily research focused, and this 1st author pending update could hold some weight.

Based on this new timeframe (2-4 weeks) do you think it is worth it to update now as an accepted MS in press, or would it be wiser to wait?
It's great to hear that the PMID might be ready as soon as two weeks. . . . . If the grant of Rights signing doesn't require negotiation. And if the proofs are returned promptly.

There is no "One-Answer-Fits-All" answer to your question. Have you gone to the School Specific threads and determined when those T20s sent out their first interview invitations? It seems to me that getting the maximum information to schools before your file is reviewed would get the most "Bang for the Buck." Not that there wouldn't be a positive impact thereafter.

If you already have an II from a given school, then waiting is best.

If a school has an Early Decision option, then they likely won't review regular admissions until after August 1.

It's great to hear that the PMID might be ready as soon as two weeks. . . . . If the grant of Rights signing doesn't require negotiation. And if the proofs are returned promptly.

There is no "One-Answer-Fits-All" answer to your question. Have you gone to the School Specific threads and determined when those T20s sent out their first interview invitations? It seems to me that getting the maximum information to schools before your file is reviewed would get the most "Bang for the Buck." Not that there wouldn't be a positive impact thereafter.

If you already have an II from a given school, then waiting is best.

If a school has an Early Decision option, then they likely won't review regular admissions until after August 1.
Thanks again Catalystik. This was great advice which helped me make a more informed decision!

How many is too many EC's when it comes to DO application since there's "no limit"?

I know this is the AMCAS Activities Thread, but kind of seeking similar advice for AACOMAS on my previous matters.

For jobs that I didn't have a smooth departure from, should I list payroll office as the supervisor contact? Or should I not list anyone at all? (given that it's not mandatory)

And if I don't list anyone at all, would it be weird to click "No" on Release Authorization (the "may we contact this organization" prompt)

I know this is the AMCAS Activities Thread, but kind of seeking similar advice for AACOMAS on my previous matters.

For jobs that I didn't have a smooth departure from, should I list payroll office as the supervisor contact? Or should I not list anyone at all? (given that it's not mandatory)

And if I don't list anyone at all, would it be weird to click "No" on Release Authorization (the "may we contact this organization" prompt)
Sorry, but I don't know if AACOMAS asks that question in order to get a reference, or whether it's like AAMCAS and only for timeframe verification. You might consider asking the question in the AACOMAS Questions thread, here: *~*~Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2021-2022~*~*

1) So I am volunteering at 2 different hospitals currently but the experience at one is far more rewarding and really I would like to stop volunteering at the other hospital (let's call it hospital B)...but with around 30 hours so far, would it look bad on my applications that I 'quit' volunteering so early? Should I just stick it out until I get closer to 75 hours at hospital B? Originally I was planning on doing 75 hours at each hospital, but I'd like to focus all my time on the hospital I actually enjoy volunteering at.

2) Also on the AAMC applications, for volunteering at multiple hospitals do you list the number of hours for each hospital? Or just total volunteer hours, bc then I guess it won't really matter if I quit hospital B early.
1) You are not obliged to list an experience on your application if you think it won't reflect well on you. Entering a 30 hour clinical experience might raise questions about why you left so soon.

2) If you group the two experiences, you'd enter the total hours from both hospitals in the Total Hours space, but in the narrative you'd break down the subtotals for each of the sites, along with giving the Contact information for the second hospital in your narrative (the first one having been entered in the header). The subtotals should match what your Contact would attest to.

Business awards that resulted from capitalizing on my research, honors/recognition for internal research in industry which resulted in policy/procedure changes, presentations to hospital board for my clinical research which resulted in new outreach initiatives to increase healthcare access etc.

Can I list these things in my "honors and presentations" from research?

Yes.

Is there any notable difference in presenting at a national conference vs. a national summit?

It depends on what you'd be presenting.
I’m presenting the similar research. I’m just wondering how a “summit” vs a “conference” is viewed. I know conferences are more common; curious how a summit is viewed for medical research. Thanks!

I’m presenting the similar research. I’m just wondering how a “summit” vs a “conference” is viewed. I know conferences are more common; curious how a summit is viewed for medical research. Thanks!
A presentation of your original hypothesis-based research to scientific peers, accepted through a selective-review process by a reputable organization, should be viewed similarly.