Quantcast

*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Thank you for the quick response! I believe she is not a DNP. I was also thinking maybe not giving anyone a prefix? Ex both of them have "Jane Doe", "John Smith". Plus it'd save quite a few characters.
One should not use both a prefix and academic credentials after the name, in the listing of a medical person.

Reactions: 1 user

DrUranium

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so for one of my activities (clinical job) I stopped working in May but will pick up once again end of August after an internship. In the anticipated date, should I list it from (Current month-August 2023) or (August 2022-August 2023)?

Reaction score
Hi, so for one of my activities (clinical job) I stopped working in May but will pick up once again end of August after an internship. In the anticipated date, should I list it from (Current month-August 2023) or (August 2022-August 2023)?
For Anticipated Hours enter August 2022 as the Start Date and August 2023 as the End Date.

FireSlasher

Reaction score
Hi, in the activities section I listed a program in which I participated. As part of this program I was elected as part of the board of directors and had special tasks. Do I include this information under the same activity or do I create a new Leadership entry and specifically talk about my leadership role in this separate entry? Thanks.

Reaction score
in the activities section I listed a program in which I participated. As part of this program I was elected as part of the board of directors and had special tasks. Do I include this information under the same activity or do I create a new Leadership entry and specifically talk about my leadership role in this separate entry?
It depends on how leadership-y your role was and if that role had enough separate hours that the extra space has an impact. As examples: If you mainly went to meetings and voted, I would not use a separate space. If you came up with new initiatives, headed committees, delegated tasks, provided oversight for those efforts, and took overall responsibility for the results, then another space would be warranted.

a_distant_dream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a bit unsure of how to present my hobbies. I do a lot of non-academic coding (art, origami, DNA/RNA rendering, being the only person to solve a notorious max-difficulty question on a competition website). I also picked up Minesweeper during the pandemic and have the fastest time in a fairly populous state (<60 seconds on expert). On the other hand, I also enjoy exercise and cooking but don't really have any achievements to show there outside of long term commitment.

My confusion is essentially (i) which ones to include and, as a corollary, the amount of depth for each one. As an example, if I only included one hobby then I would be able to discuss it in greater depth. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm currently a bit unsure of how to present my hobbies. I do a lot of non-academic coding (art, origami, DNA/RNA rendering, being the only person to solve a notorious max-difficulty question on a competition website). I also picked up Minesweeper during the pandemic and have the fastest time in a fairly populous state (<60 seconds on expert). On the other hand, I also enjoy exercise and cooking but don't really have any achievements to show there outside of long term commitment.

My confusion is essentially (i) which ones to include and, as a corollary, the amount of depth for each one. As an example, if I only included one hobby then I would be able to discuss it in greater depth. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Omit Minesweeper. If one item, do the non-academic coding, if you can explain it well in lay-person's terms (as it's the most unique).

If you want to include exercise and/or cooking, you need some added info to draw interest, like what ethnic/level-of-spiciness/healthy-diet cookery you prefer/have mastered and what drew you to it? What forms of exercise/frequency/group efforts/any competitions, how you've improved, why you got involved? If you can't add interesting details, then don't bother.

fbcuvn

Reaction score
I have 4 completed posters and presentations that I was going to list under 1 entry in AMCAS. Now that we can add "anticipated" dates, though, can I list posters that I have upcoming? (ie one in July, two in November which I have already submitted abstracts for, etc). I am kind of pressed for space/entries so I wanted to see if I could group all of these under one entry.

I also have a manuscript submitted for publication like 2 weeks ago that I would like to throw in here if possible since it does not count as a publication yet (has not been accepted).

And, follow-up to all of this, but I obviously do not have space to list the titles for all of these. How should I cite them instead?

Thanks in advance!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 4 completed posters and presentations that I was going to list under 1 entry in AMCAS. Now that we can add "anticipated" dates, though, can I list posters that I have upcoming? (ie one in July, two in November which I have already submitted abstracts for, etc). I am kind of pressed for space/entries so I wanted to see if I could group all of these under one entry.

I also have a manuscript submitted for publication like 2 weeks ago that I would like to throw in here if possible since it does not count as a publication yet (has not been accepted).

And, follow-up to all of this, but I obviously do not have space to list the titles for all of these. How should I cite them instead?

Thanks in advance!
You can do this a few different ways. You can try to squeeze in the titles of some kind for the posters and the presentations that are already been accomplished. Or you could take the top/most prestigious one or two and cite them, then mention the rest without necessarily detail. As for the presentations to come, I would just make a short blanket phrase that for others have been accepted for presentation or something along those lines. As for the manuscript it really isn’t worth much as just a submission needs to be accepted. However if you add a blanket phrase about the poster suggested above you can mention Manuscript recently submitted in the same surgery

Quality matters much more than quantity. I would suggest you take the top one or two side them and add the rest As a blanket phrase

chilly_md

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

You can do this a few different ways. You can try to squeeze in the titles of some kind for the posters and the presentations that are already been accomplished. Or you could take the top/most prestigious one or two and cite them, then mention the rest without necessarily detail. As for the presentations to come, I would just make a short blanket phrase that for others have been accepted for presentation or something along those lines. As for the manuscript it really isn’t worth much as just a submission needs to be accepted. However if you add a blanket phrase about the poster suggested above you can mention Manuscript recently submitted in the same surgery

Quality matters much more than quantity. I would suggest you take the top one or two side them and add the rest As a blanket phrase

I have moved the above 2 posts to the more relevant AMCAS Work/Activities thread.

futuredoc2515

Reaction score
I have one entry for MCAT mentorship that I was going to use as leadership but not sure if I should put that as tutoring instead, but I have another entry for tutoring high school students that I could put as teaching.

Reaction score
I have one entry for MCAT mentorship that I was going to use as leadership but not sure if I should put that as tutoring instead, but I have another entry for tutoring high school students that I could put as teaching.
Most consider mentorship to be in the Teaching/Tutoring category. If you feel a portion of the activity reflects your leadership capability, you can mention that in the description.

Reaction score
I'm applying MD-PhD, and I currently work as a clinical research coordinator. I've only been at this job since April. Is it bad to put it as one of my most meaningful experiences due to how recent it is? It truly has been one of my most meaningful experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reaction score
I'm applying MD-PhD, and I currently work as a clinical research coordinator. I've only been at this job since April. Is it bad to put it as one of my most meaningful experiences due to how recent it is? It truly has been one of my most meaningful experiences.
What’s important to choosing a MM experience isn’t the length of the activity, or the total number of hours, but rather, what you have to say about it.

Endoxifen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a final year PhD student applying to medical schools this cycle. In undergrad, I participated in shadowing, and both clinical and nonclinical volunteering. However, at this stage of my career, I have far more important experiences that I'd like to write about. Considering my PhD is in public health and all of my work is clinically releveant, is it worth including those typical experiences? Relatedly, should I be using this space to describe my research (undergrad, MPH, and PhD) or should I only pick the most important?

Thank you all very much for your help!

Last edited:

lno1999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is important that you not only include those volunteering experiences, but also explain how they pushed you to the stage that you are currently at in your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

LuxFei24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about acronyms. I was wondering if I would need to spell out federally qualified health center in my description or is simply "FQHC" okay?

In addition, for my artistic endeavor the title will partially read "Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)". I reference the B.F.A. in that activity description as well as in one or two other activity descriptions like awards. Would I need to type out "Bachelor of Fine Arts" in the other non-artistic endeavor activities or is it okay to leave it as "B.F.A."?

Reaction score
I had a question about acronyms.

1) I was wondering if I would need to spell out federally qualified health center in my description or is simply "FQHC" okay?

2) In addition, for my artistic endeavor the title will partially read "Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)". I reference the B.F.A. in that activity description as well as in one or two other activity descriptions like awards. Would I need to type out "Bachelor of Fine Arts" in the other non-artistic endeavor activities or is it okay to leave it as "B.F.A."?
1) Sorry, but you’ll need to spell it out once. If you can make it part of the space’s title, with (FQHC) after it, you could save on characters.

2) You can use BFA freely, without the “.”s after defining it once, assuming the context helps jog recall of its meaning.

itsElmo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For shadowing, do you have to put down contact info and clinic/hospital for all physicians you shadowed? I'll put down the contact info for the physician I shadowed most under primary contact, but may not have enough space for the other info within the 800 characters.

Reaction score
For shadowing, do you have to put down contact info and clinic/hospital for all physicians you shadowed? I'll put down the contact info for the physician I shadowed most under primary contact, but may not have enough space for the other info within the 800 characters.
Do you have the space to add maybe two more contacts in the narrative space? After that you could summarize, along the lines of the example in post 2, item #10 of this thread.

LuxFei24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask about humanities research for publications/research.

I pursued a master's in humanities while finishing my undergrad -- cultural studies were intriguing to me and helped to instill more cultural competence; I felt the lessons and skills would be very useful for becoming a physician.

I finished a humanities honor's thesis and a separate department humanities thesis for undergraduate. And then for my master's I finished a departmental paper ~50 pages (I did not quite have enough time to finish a traditional M.A. thesis, nor was it required). All of these things I received credit for so I don't know if that automatically prevents them from qualifying as publications or research.

I did not have any of these published in journals as M.A level work does not seem often published in my field. But I learned a lot about and conducted humanities research (non psychology/non social science research) and it was neat to see the differences from life science research. I wonder if these can qualify at all for publications or research activities?

a_distant_dream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking back at my AMCAS primary, I undercounted my hours by 80 for teaching / tutoring (wrote 16x and the correct value is 24x). Additionally, I mistyped 2023 as 2022 on a future date (so a projected activity is June 2022 - June 2022 instead of June 2022 - June 2023). Are these worthy of an update to schools or should they be accompanied by a more significant result (hypothetically, a publication)? Thank you for your time.

Endoxifen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is important that you not only include those volunteering experiences, as well as explain how they pushed you to the stage that you are currently at in your life.
Hi Ino1999, thanks so much for the response. I have a few follow up questions. Firstly, since it's been quite some time since I did some of these volunteering hours, I'm not entirely sure how many I did. Would providing a rough estimate be a problem? Secondly, at one stage, I volunteered at a number of different local Meals on Wheels. Would it be problematic to combine them into a single item? If not, who's contact information would be wise to provide? Finally, would it be an issue if 7 of the 15 spots are occupied by awards/honors? Some of them are effectively stand-ins for degrees and I plan to write about them there.

Thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
I wanted to ask about humanities research for publications/research.

I pursued a master's in humanities while finishing my undergrad -- cultural studies were intriguing to me and helped to instill more cultural competence; I felt the lessons and skills would be very useful for becoming a physician.

I finished a humanities honor's thesis and a separate department humanities thesis for undergraduate. And then for my master's I finished a departmental paper ~50 pages (I did not quite have enough time to finish a traditional M.A. thesis, nor was it required). All of these things I received credit for so I don't know if that automatically prevents them from qualifying as publications or research.

I did not have any of these published in journals as M.A level work does not seem often published in my field. But I learned a lot about and conducted humanities research (non psychology/non social science research) and it was neat to see the differences from life science research. I wonder if these can qualify at all for publications or research activities?
Did your "research" start with a Hypothesis? Were there described Methods, accumulation of Data, Analysis of data, and a Conclusion? Did it result in new, generalizable knowledge? Then you can discuss it under a Research tab.

It doesn't appear to me that your work qualifies as a Publication (even if it exists somewhere in your school's archives).

If these were not scholarly investigations resulting in new generalizable knowledge, you might consider using an Other tag (as most do), and discussing the process of doing background reading and creating your thesis, or if you want to include the departmental paper in the same space, call it Humanities Investigations, or some such that covers both efforts.

Reaction score
Looking back at my AMCAS primary, 1) I undercounted my hours by 80 for teaching / tutoring (wrote 16x and the correct value is 24x). 2) Additionally, I mistyped 2023 as 2022 on a future date (so a projected activity is June 2022 - June 2022 instead of June 2022 - June 2023). Are these worthy of an update to schools or should they be accompanied by a more significant result (hypothetically, a publication)? Thank you for your time.
1) I don't think this mistake will make a difference to your application, so I suggest not bringing it to attention.

2) How many hours did you project for this activity that appears to be of 1 month duration? What was the category? How many hours did you list as Completed?

Reaction score
I have a few follow up questions. 1) Firstly, since it's been quite some time since I did some of these volunteering hours, I'm not entirely sure how many I did. Would providing a rough estimate be a problem? 2) Secondly, at one stage, I volunteered at a number of different local Meals on Wheels. Would it be problematic to combine them into a single item? If not, who's contact information would be wise to provide? 3) Finally, would it be an issue if 7 of the 15 spots are occupied by awards/honors? Some of them are effectively stand-ins for degrees and I plan to write about them there.
1) A rough, good-faith estimate is sufficient.

2) Yes, combine them. Use the most recent Contact in the header, or list yourself.

3) Using 7 spaces for recognitions is excessive. Combine a lot of them and omit those that won't impact your candidacy (examples being Deans List, Latin graduation honors, Phi Beta Kappa).

Reaction score
should I be using this space to describe my research (undergrad, MPH, and PhD) or should I only pick the most important?
You are not obliged to mention every research activity. Or to go into those that weren't productive/impactful in great detail. Research from long ago, eg, might be summarized briefly as part of the backstory that led to your pursuit of advanced degree opportunities.

Endoxifen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are not obliged to mention every research activity. Or to go into those that weren't productive/impactful in great detail. Research from long ago, eg, might be summarized briefly as part of the backstory that led to your pursuit of advanced degree opportunities.
Hi Catalystik, thanks very much for the reply. That was incredibly useful advice. If you don't mind, I have some additional questions:

1. Listing myself as the contact would certainly prevent issues caused by having multiple items combined. I don't want them calling a Meals on Wheels location and asking them if I worked >100 hours there, when it was only 40 with the others done elsewhere. However, isn't it a bit sketchy for a real volunteering experience like that? Should I only do that when it's something I created?

2. I should be listing my papers and presentations under my research experiences, and not separately, correct? If they should be separate, should I be listing critcal papers in progress? Due to significant delays caused by COVID, I'm in the process of putting together the big papers for my PhD now. We expect them to publish in quite well, but it won't be in time for submitting my application.

3. Is it problematic if my personal statement overlaps with my most meaningful experiences? My personal statement outlines my career path thusfar and therefore covers the moments I find most critical. While I can go into more detail in the activities section, for two of the three, the key point is already covered in the personal statement. Is redundency ok or would you advise I pick a different experience for the list.

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hi Catalystik, thanks very much for the reply. That was incredibly useful advice. If you don't mind, I have some additional questions:

1. Listing myself as the contact would certainly prevent issues caused by having multiple items combined. I don't want them calling a Meals on Wheels location and asking them if I worked >100 hours there, when it was only 40 with the others done elsewhere. However, isn't it a bit sketchy for a real volunteering experience like that? Should I only do that when it's something I created?

2. a) I should be listing my papers and presentations under my research experiences, and not separately, correct? b) If they should be separate, should I be listing critcal papers in progress? Due to significant delays caused by COVID, I'm in the process of putting together the big papers for my PhD now. We expect them to publish in quite well, but it won't be in time for submitting my application.

3. Is it problematic if my personal statement overlaps with my most meaningful experiences? My personal statement outlines my career path thusfar and therefore covers the moments I find most critical. While I can go into more detail in the activities section, for two of the three, the key point is already covered in the personal statement. Is redundency ok or would you advise I pick a different experience for the list.
1) You can solve this problem by explaining that in the narrative that you worked 40 hours at that location (with the header Contact) and the rest at X other sites, with the Total Hours in the header being the grand total.

2) a) Yes, they can be added to the Research or Other space experience, rather than being listed separately.
2) b) Do not list "critical papers in progress." Save them for mention in Secondaries, Update letters (where allowed), and interview conversations.

3) Overlap is fine. Redundancy is fine, as you can't assume the same reader will see all your entries. Try to use slightly different language when repeating info.

Talldoctor96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

2. I should be listing my papers and presentations under my research experiences, and not separately, correct? If they should be separate, should I be listing critcal papers in progress? Due to significant delays caused by COVID, I'm in the process of putting together the big papers for my PhD now. We expect them to publish in quite well, but it won't be in time for submitting my application.

Also regards to number 1; I can assure you no admissions office in the country is going to care or have enough time or resources to follow up on 100 service hours.

chilly_md

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score

I have merged your post with the main AMCAS Work/Activities section as it could benefit students with similar questions.

Hamber_Gorl

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, do we need to list the organization we volunteered with as a Nonprofit? Or will adcoms google them themselves?

The club I was an officer for on campus was also a non-profit, should I list it as a club when describing leadership positions and as a nonprofit when doing community service?

Reaction score
1) This might be a dumb question, do we need to list the organization we volunteered with as a Nonprofit? Or will adcoms google them themselves?

2) The club I was an officer for on campus was also a non-profit, should I list it as a club when describing leadership positions and as a nonprofit when doing community service?
1) If the nonprofit status is important to your application, then mention it in the description.
2) If you feel the fact that it was a nonprofit has a bearing on your how your leadership role will be interpreted, then by all means, mention it in that entry, too.

sadppremed

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please give me feedback on my descriptions and most meaningful essays? I'm reapplying and would really appreciate any insight. Thank you so much!

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please give me feedback on my descriptions and most meaningful essays? I'm reapplying and would really appreciate any insight. Thank you so much!
@sadppremed that is beyond the scope of this activities help thread.
There is another thread where applicants like you have offered to swap/review each other's essays: Feedback On My Work/Activities List

Reactions: 1 users

futurebraindoc123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! for one of my hobbies on my primary application, I am listing "making smoothies" as my hobby. What would I put for the organization's name and a number of hours? Thanks!

Reaction score
for one of my hobbies on my primary application, I am listing "making smoothies" as my hobby. What would I put for the organization's name and a number of hours?
Organization name is elective, so you don't have to fill it in.

Hours for Hobbies isn't a critical issue. Enter a zero, a 99, or a good-faith estimate, as you wish.

futurebraindoc123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! if I am putting a cultural tradition that I practiced as one of my work/activities, what would I classify it as and what would I put for the organization name, contact title, name, phone number, and email?

Reaction score
hi everyone! if I am putting a cultural tradition that I practiced as one of my work/activities, what would I classify it as and what would I put for the organization name, contact title, name, phone number, and email?
How you’d classify it depends on what the activity was and if you practiced it in public (like culural dance, which is an Artistic Endeavor). Feel free to give more detail.

If you didn’t belong to a college group or religious institution that practiced this tradition, you can use yourself as the Contact. And you don’t need both email and phone. Just providing one of those is sufficient.

futurebraindoc123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How you’d classify it depends on what the activity was and if you practiced it in public (like culural dance, which is an Artistic Endeavor). Feel free to give more detail.

If you didn’t belong to a college group or religious institution that practiced this tradition, you can use yourself as the Contact. And you don’t need both email and phone. Just providing one of those is sufficient.
I am just talking about how a specific holiday got disrupted due to the pandemic and how my family and I had to improvise. Usually, my family and I would prepare food and take it to the religious places of worship but due to the pandemic, we could not go to the temple. Hence, I am just confused as to what category to put it under? Thanks!!

Reaction score
I am just talking about how a specific holiday got disrupted due to the pandemic and how my family and I had to improvise. Usually, my family and I would prepare food and take it to the religious places of worship but due to the pandemic, we could not go to the temple. Hence, I am just confused as to what category to put it under? Thanks!!
Other? Extracurricular Activity? Or was it a Community Service because by improvising you found another arena in which to share your food?

You could also consider saving this situation for a Secondary prompt.

futurebraindoc123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! if I designed cards and sent them to a hospital, would that count as community service/volunteer WITH medical or NO medical? thanks!!

SentientWave

Reaction score
Hi! I have a couple questions.

1) I have received some notable awards at my highschool, this happened outside of the USA (I graduated HS outside US, started bachelors here as a permanent resident) and I have the certificates/trophies. Who should I list as a contact? Just my highschool and their international phone number? I think I can format that into the first name/last name required fields like I've seen one user do it in this thread but it would obviously be unconventional - currently I have listed myself with the title field reading "Applicant". I did mention for each award that I have the certificate and/or the trophy.

2) Additionally, I have a campus presentation in association with research here at my univeristy, no posters or publications. I should list this under the research experience itself, but I am out of characters. I have only used one "most meaningful" so I have two to spare, should I use that or will it be inappropriate and I should just make a new entry? I have like seven more entries to spare.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Hi! I have a couple questions.

1) I have received some notable awards at my highschool, this happened outside of the USA (I graduated HS outside US, started bachelors here as a permanent resident) and I have the certificates/trophies. Who should I list as a contact? Just my highschool and their international phone number? I think I can format that into the first name/last name required fields like I've seen one user do it in this thread but it would obviously be unconventional - currently I have listed myself with the title field reading "Applicant". I did mention for each award that I have the certificate and/or the trophy.

2) Additionally, I have a campus presentation in association with research here at my univeristy, no posters or publications. I should list this under the research experience itself, but I am out of characters. I have only used one "most meaningful" so I have two to spare, should I use that or will it be inappropriate and I should just make a new entry? I have like seven more entries to spare.

Thanks a lot!
1) High school recofnitions are generally not included on med school applications. Which among them do you feel enhances your application? If any , listing yourself as Contact is fine.
2) Either make a new entry since you have lots of open spaces ir make Research MM so you have space to include it there.

plsacceptme16

Reaction score
Hi! I updated a publication with new/expanded research but it has not been published yet. What is the best way to show and reference this? It is a newer version of a previously published article. TIA!

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I updated a publication with new/expanded research but it has not been published yet. What is the best way to show and reference this? It is a newer version of a previously published article. TIA!
If you already submitted your primary, and this has not been published yet, don't send any update for this detail.
If published by the time you get secondaries or interviews, you can mention it then

j_lo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an independent qualitative research project on GDM this past year as a senior undergrad. I had to do a poster and present it at a symposium. I have about 300 hours of research from this experience which I was going to list as an activity. Should I also make a separate entry for the poster/presentation or just include it in the research activity?

chilly_md

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I did an independent qualitative research project on GDM this past year as a senior undergrad. I had to do a poster and present it at a symposium. I have about 300 hours of research from this experience which I was going to list as an activity. Should I also make a separate entry for the poster/presentation or just include it in the research activity?
I have moved your question to this main work/activities thread.

As per #20 in Catalystik’s post, I would mention it within the research activity if it was a campus symposium as opposed to a larger setting.