*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I have a question about presentations. I'm a nontrad with a lot of varied experience, so I'm having a hard time finding a balance between jamming too much into a single description and selling myself short by not highlighting things that may be important to adcoms.

I have two non-science presentations included in the overall descriptions of those activities. Should I take them out and put them together in a presentation/posters slot instead? Or is this meant for formal academic research? One is from undergrad when I was a panelist at a national conference hosted by another university. I spoke about my on-the-ground experience of a major event. It was attended by students as well as academics, activists, etc. The other is from a previous public service career. My boss arranged for me to speak at our city's annual professional conference. This was related to observational research. I have clinical research and publications, but no posters/presentations.

Thanks for any feedback!
Would you say you were an invited speaker for those two conferences?

Can you explain your involvement in the “observational research?”

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am wondering about how to label an activity. I did research (it was a case study) with physicians and co-authored an abstract that was accepted for presentation at a major conference. I also put together the poster. I was not able to present the poster at the conference. How should I label this activity:
1. Research/Lab
2. Presentations/Poster

Thank you!

@Catalystik

Hello,
I am wondering about how to label an activity. I did research (it was a case study) with physicians and co-authored an abstract that was accepted for presentation at a major conference. I also put together the poster. I was not able to present the poster at the conference. How should I label this activity:
1. Research/Lab
2. Presentations/Poster

Thank you!

@Catalystik
Presentations/Posters. Cite it and give credit to the author who stood by the poster. See post #80 for a suggested format.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did a quick Google search and I’d say no, not an invited speaker.

For the research, I used the wrong word. Action research is more accurate. I was part of a research group. We read and discussed relevant literature and then made changes in our respective work environments. I presented my work at the conference and facilitated a discussion.
Leaving the two talks embedded in their affiliated activity helps keep the context so you have less explaining to do, but if you want to highlight them more and have the space, I suggest using the tag “Conferences Attended” to group the two presentations you gave, citing the national conference first (unless you don’t have a reliable contact for it). I don’t feel these experiences will make or break your application, so I don’t feel strongly that the latter approach is necessary.

As part of my degree, I have to complete clinical rotations. I want to classify it as clinical so that adcoms can see that I have clinical experience, but it's not paid and it's not exactly volunteer work either.
I suggest entering clinical experience that earns course credit under the tag "Other," and including words that convey the nature of the activity, like Patient Experience through Clinical Rotations in the name you give the space.

If I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa but did not due to financial reasons at the time, would it be okay for me to put under "Honors/Awards" that I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa, or would that been seen as unethical/weird? I wouldn't put it on it's own, but grouping it with other awards like Dean's List etc.

Would it be strange for me to mark two activities as non-MME, but then talk about them in the PS, as a central component of my story to medicine?

I marked them non-MME for "real estate" purposes so that 2 other meaningful activities could have a more expanded description.

If I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa but did not due to financial reasons at the time, would it be okay for me to put under "Honors/Awards" that I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa, or would that been seen as unethical/weird? I wouldn't put it on it's own, but grouping it with other awards like Dean's List etc.
I can't recommend listing it when it is not a conferred recognition. YMMV if you ask elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be strange for me to mark two activities as non-MME, but then talk about them in the PS, as a central component of my story to medicine?

I marked them non-MME for "real estate" purposes so that 2 other meaningful activities could have a more expanded description.
Not a problem. There is more than one strategy for deciding on what to designate MM.

As I understand it, the best practice for future hours is to use the repeated function and set the start date from application to start of matriculation and this is how I intend to do it. But my question is do adcoms look upon this differently than those who just lump it into one non-repeated activity and say end date is start of matriculation? This way definitely isn't clear on how much is currently done and how much is projected, so are applicants who do it this way viewed less favorably? more favorably? Thanks!

My tutoring experience is kind of all over the place. I did chem for a few semesters, then bio for a few, then microbio for one in addition to some private tutoring (on those subjects). Rather than filling my W/A with these different experiences, can I just write 1 section that's like "Tutoring/Mentoring for Biology, Chemistry, and Microbiology" and for the dates just do a start/end not for each specific course but like when it all "ended." (basically when I graduated)

Also when calculating hours, should I include "prep" time? Like if I were actively tutoring 3 hours a week but prepped 1 hour a week, should the hours listed be calculated from just the 3 hours or can I do 4 hours/week?

As I understand it, the best practice for future hours is to use the repeated function and set the start date from application to start of matriculation and this is how I intend to do it. But my question is do adcoms look upon this differently than those who just lump it into one non-repeated activity and say end date is start of matriculation? This way definitely isn't clear on how much is currently done and how much is projected, so are applicants who do it this way viewed less favorably? more favorably? Thanks!
Many who lump current and future hours together will make it clear in the description which is which, rather than using the Repeated feature. When this isn't done, I calculate out what is likely to have been completed and score on that basis. Often this is easy. Sometimes it's clear that obfuscation is the purpose. I don't view that favorably.

My tutoring experience is kind of all over the place. I did chem for a few semesters, then bio for a few, then microbio for one in addition to some private tutoring (on those subjects). 1) Rather than filling my W/A with these different experiences, can I just write 1 section that's like "Tutoring/Mentoring for Biology, Chemistry, and Microbiology" and 2) for the dates just do a start/end not for each specific course but like when it all "ended." (basically when I graduated)

3) Also when calculating hours, should I include "prep" time? Like if I were actively tutoring 3 hours a week but prepped 1 hour a week, should the hours listed be calculated from just the 3 hours or can I do 4 hours/week?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, but keep in mind that your Contact needs to agree about the prep time. Differentiate prep time in your comments to make it clear what the actual teaching time totaled up to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you enter future start months into the AMCAS Activities space, it will not save them. I suggest you complete at least 40 hours before submitting, as future intentions are not much regarded by adcomms. This is one activity where longevity isn't necessary, so you should be able to get this done in a week if you have to. And surely you'll have reflections from the experience that might influence how you write your Personal Statement.
Would sending an update to my school's if I have to get the hours after I apply be that bad? The ed physician said he can't fit me shadowing in May into his schedule so it will have to be June. I could submit with my virtual hours and update with my actual if that wouldn't hurt my chances

Would sending an update to my school's if I have to get the hours after I apply be that bad? The ed physician said he can't fit me shadowing in May into his schedule so it will have to be June. I could submit with my virtual hours and update with my actual if that wouldn't hurt my chances
I can’t give you an answer that will be true for every school. Some don’t require shadowing or fold those hours into overall clinical experience, both active and passive. Some might be OK with virtual hours. Some don’t allow updates and judge you on what is completed at the time of application. Others will regard activities completed after submission and welcome updates. It’s up to you to know the policy for each of your schools from, eg, calling, reading website FAQs, or reading through last year’s SDN school specific threads.

I can’t give you an answer that will be true for every school. Some don’t require shadowing or fold those hours into overall clinical experience, both active and passive. Some might be OK with virtual hours. Some don’t allow updates and judge you on what is completed at the time of application. Others will regard activities completed after submission and welcome updates. It’s up to you to know the policy for each of your schools from, eg, calling, reading website FAQs, or reading through last year’s SDN school specific threads.
Thanks that's a great idea I'll call all of the schools I'm applying to in order to get a clear answer.

Is it a good or bad idea to have activity statements reference one another? For example, if I had one position that pushed me to pursue another position, would it be wise to reference this in the former's activity statement to show how my activities connect? For example, let's say I had two positions X and Y both in AMCAS. In position X's activity statement, I write "These blank things I experienced/learned at position X led me to pursue position Y". Or should each activity statement be entirely standalone? Thank you.

Showing (briefly), but not telling is fine. I am not familiar with this person's "method," however I will tell you that reading entries that primarily tell a long story gives the impression that the applicant has little more to say, and didn't do much more, since it is at the expense of providing a global view of full role, contributions, lessons learned, future direction, and/or impact. One such 700-character entry might be fine, as is adding anecdotes to a MM entry, but an entire Activities section filled with them does not put the applicant in a good light, in my opinion. And thanks for giving me the opportunity to express this.

If you want multiple opinions, post your question in the main forum.

I believe his 'method' suggests that most people know what a scribe does, what basketball is, etc. so there's no point in wasting characters unless it's something unique or that not many people are familiar with. In addition, he believes you can show learning/impact through stories rather than simply saying, "I learned blah blah blah". For example, if you are a tutor, perhaps telling a story about a specific individual that you worked with that got their first 'A' in a course or got off academic probation etc. might be more effective than just a general description.

Is it a good or bad idea to have activity statements reference one another? For example, if I had one position that pushed me to pursue another position, would it be wise to reference this in the former's activity statement to show how my activities connect? For example, let's say I had two positions X and Y both in AMCAS. In position X's activity statement, I write "These blank things I experienced/learned at position X led me to pursue position Y". Or should each activity statement be entirely standalone? Thank you.
You way you suggest doing it (which I would call an Impact Statement), there is no objection. In general, you have to assume that the same person won't have access to all the Activity entries, so each one has to stand ion its own. Some schools divide them up to avoid bias or for "quality control."

1) I believe his 'method' suggests that most people know what a scribe does, what basketball is, etc. so there's no point in wasting characters unless it's something unique or that not many people are familiar with.
1) I agree.
2) In addition, he believes you can show learning/impact through stories rather than simply saying, "I learned blah blah blah". For example, if you are a tutor, perhaps telling a story about a specific individual that you worked with that got their first 'A' in a course or got off academic probation etc. might be more effective than just a general description.
2) You run the risk of making it appear you only had one tutee if you don't provide some background on your overall role. You can get around that by abbreviating the story and including additional descriptive material.

1) I agree.

2) You run the risk of making it appear you only had one tutee if you don't provide some background on your overall role. You can get around that by abbreviating the story and including additional descriptive material.

Absolutely agree.

Hello everyone! I have an activity that basically boils down to me doing basic medical assistant work (taking vitals, checking patients in, doing stuff in the EMR) at a local private practice but it's unpaid. I'm hesitant to call it clinical volunteering because it isn't necessarily for any kind of charitable cause but I have no other idea about what to call it.

I have one activity that was completed across 2 separate facilities (starting volunteering at 1st place, interrupted by COVID, found the same volunteering at a different place closer to home). I only have something like 10 hours with the first place, so I'm not sure how to address this in my activity section. Do I list 2 contacts and briefly mention in the description that it was at 2 places due to COVID? It is a most meaningful so I will have more room to talk about it.

Hello everyone! I have an activity that basically boils down to me doing basic medical assistant work (taking vitals, checking patients in, doing stuff in the EMR) at a local private practice but it's unpaid. I'm hesitant to call it clinical volunteering because it isn't necessarily for any kind of charitable cause but I have no other idea about what to call it.
I need more information. Did you do this work in a family-owned clinic, for a class, in exchange for a shadowing opportunity, or what? How many hours were you involved? What other active clinical experience and in-person shadowing will you list?

I have one activity that was completed across 2 separate facilities (starting volunteering at 1st place, interrupted by COVID, found the same volunteering at a different place closer to home). I only have something like 10 hours with the first place, so I'm not sure how to address this in my activity section. Do I list 2 contacts and briefly mention in the description that it was at 2 places due to COVID? It is a most meaningful so I will have more room to talk about it.
I'd suggest listing the second place in the header. Somewhere in the description mention the first place, the 10 hours, and the COVID interruption. I don't feel strongly you need to give a Contact for the original location, but if you have the space, go for it.

I need more information. Did you do this work in a family-owned clinic, for a class, in exchange for a shadowing opportunity, or what? How many hours were you involved? What other active clinical experience and in-person shadowing will you list?
The practice itself is a newly-opened family medicine practice run by an internist. This is not for a class - I just basically emailed every single clinic in the surrounding 30 miles to see what shadowing there was and the owner/doctor said that they could train me to be a MA if I worked for free. Here are my other clinical activities:

• shadowing: 180 hours in anesthesiology, 40 virtual shadowing hours
  • clinical volunteering: 200 hours as a NICU cuddler (350 projected)
    • gray area clinical: doing medical translation at COVID-19 vaccine events (150 hours)

The practice itself is a newly-opened family medicine practice run by an internist. This is not for a class - I just basically emailed every single clinic in the surrounding 30 miles to see what shadowing there was and the owner/doctor said that they could train me to be a MA if I worked for free. Here are my other clinical activities:

• shadowing: 180 hours in anesthesiology, 40 virtual shadowing hours
  • clinical volunteering: 200 hours as a NICU cuddler (350 projected)
    • gray area clinical: doing medical translation at COVID-19 vaccine events (150 hours)
How many of the Internist office hours were MA hours and how many were shadowing (projecting what you would list on the day you submit)?

What was the specialty of the virtual shadowing>

How many of the Internist office hours were MA hours and how many were shadowing (projecting what you would list on the day you submit)?

What was the specialty of the virtual shadowing>
The 100 hours is purely my best estimation of the MA stuff. Probably 40-50 hours of shadowing. Virtual shadowing specialties were all over the place (derm, plastics, GI, ER, etc)

The 100 hours is purely my best estimation of the MA stuff. Probably 40-50 hours of shadowing. Virtual shadowing specialties were all over the place (derm, plastics, GI, ER, etc)
I think you're fine to tag it Volunteer, but explain in the narrative. Separate our the IM shadowing hours and list them with your other shadowing in one space. Don't double count the hours. Be sure your Contact agrees with the hours you list.

Overall, your hours for those two categories look good to go.

I think you're fine to tag it Volunteer, but explain in the narrative. Separate our the IM shadowing hours and list them with your other shadowing in one space. Don't double count the hours. Be sure your Contact agrees with the hours you list.

Overall, your hours for those two categories look good to go.
Yeah, I was planning on saying it was volunteering but I just wasn't sure whether or not unpaid work technically counted as volunteering in the absence of any kind of cause. Thanks for the help!

Hello! I have volunteered at a hospital in-person for about a year and a half. Due to COVID, I started volunteering remotely in September with the same hospital program but doing a different activity (creating informational sheets for the patients). I have volunteered in both roles since February when in-person volunteering restarted. Would it be better to list these roles in separate entries so that I have more space to talk about/explain them and can differentiate the start times/hours for each role? Or would it be best to keep them together since they are with the same hospital program?

Yeah, I was planning on saying it was volunteering but I just wasn't sure whether or not unpaid work technically counted as volunteering in the absence of any kind of cause. Thanks for the help!
I would agree that volunteering in a setting where your job could have been covered by an affordable hire would be viewed as having less cachet than it would in a nonprofit or low-financial resource setting.

If your newly-opened practice primarily served patients on public assistance, you should state that.

Hello! I have volunteered at a hospital in-person for about a year and a half. Due to COVID, I started volunteering remotely in September with the same hospital program but doing a different activity (creating informational sheets for the patients). I have volunteered in both roles since February when in-person volunteering restarted. Would it be better to list these roles in separate entries so that I have more space to talk about/explain them and can differentiate the start times/hours for each role? Or would it be best to keep them together since they are with the same hospital program?
If you did not interact with patients remotely while creating the information sheets, it would fall under a Volunteer-Not Medical/Clinical tag and deserves its own space.

Hi Catalystik! I'm a research assistant in a basic science lab, and have mentored undergrad research assistants (ie teaching them microbio techniques, explaining the biochem behind our research, essentially him shadowing me). I was wondering how I should categorize this? Should I include it in my work experience- non clinical, or make it a separate activity of teaching? Thanks!

Hi Catalystik! I'm a research assistant in a basic science lab, and have mentored undergrad research assistants (ie teaching them microbio techniques, explaining the biochem behind our research, essentially him shadowing me). I was wondering how I should categorize this? Should I include it in my work experience- non clinical, or make it a separate activity of teaching? Thanks!
You could call your training role either Leadership or Teaching. Depending on the time commitment, it could be folded into the affiliated Paid Employment (or Research) space, if the hours you'd list are low, or listed separately, if the hours involved are strong enough to stand on their own.

One additional question regarding Honors/Awards. I was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa last month and I'm not sure what to write for the W/A entry. I was going to add the specific name of my university's chapter, but I am assuming that I don't need to explain what Phi Beta Kappa is or the requirements for nomination. Is there anything specific that needs to be included in these types of entries?

One additional question regarding Honors/Awards. I was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa last month and I'm not sure what to write for the W/A entry. I was going to add the specific name of my university's chapter, but I am assuming that I don't need to explain what Phi Beta Kappa is or the requirements for nomination. Is there anything specific that needs to be included in these types of entries?
Actually, the requirements vary by campus, so some explanation is in order. You might add some info on selectivity, like how many were inducted out of the total pool.

Actually, the requirements vary by campus, so some explanation is in order. You might add some info on selectivity, like how many were inducted out of the total pool.
Thank you for correcting me!! I will make sure to add more specific information. My chapter's requirements list a minimum GPA, minimum average course/credit load, and what they define as the breadth and depth requirements, "academic excellence demonstrated by GPA and grades"... Would these all be relevant for the explanation? Additionally, my university's PBK webpage does not list a specific number of candidates invited out of X total students or an exact percentage of the student population, but they do list the percentage of bachelor's degree candidates that are "traditionally" invited each year. Is the acceptable to include if it's not specific to my induction year?

Thank you for correcting me!! I will make sure to add more specific information. My chapter's requirements list a minimum GPA, minimum average course/credit load, and what they define as the breadth and depth requirements, "academic excellence demonstrated by GPA and grades"... Would these all be relevant for the explanation?
Minimum GPA and course loads, might be good to mention. Some require a foreign language, or other evidence of well-roundedness, possibly service.
Additionally, my university's PBK webpage does not list a specific number of candidates invited out of X total students or an exact percentage of the student population, but they do list the percentage of bachelor's degree candidates that are "traditionally" invited each year. Is the acceptable to include if it's not specific to my induction year?
A general statistic is fine, like percent invited from your college.

BTW, you can use your Registrar as the Contact.

Minimum GPA and course loads, might be good to mention. Some require a foreign language, or other evidence of well-roundedness, possibly service.

A general statistic is fine, like percent invited from your college.

BTW, you can use your Registrar as the Contact.
thank you so much for all of your help today, I really appreciate it!

Hello! @Catalystik ! In college I began two mental health support groups on campus for students struggling with anxiety, etc, and for students with family members that struggle with some type of mental health disorder. I was the lead facilitator and coordinator of the support groups so in that respect I believe the activity to fall under the lines of "leadership," however, it was not a formal club/Organization on campus and so my time doing this was entirely volunteer-based so in that respect, could it be seen as community service as well? If so, what would be the best way so count the hours?

Lastly, I was the President for a diversity Org on campus and we received a noteworthy award for our work towards advocacy for marginalized groups on campus, I received the award on behalf of the executive board and as President I had planned all the events/work we did the year we were nominated and won. Should I describe this award as being presented to the Organization and I accepted it on our behalf? If so, would that even be worth mentioning in my app?

Thank you!

1) Hello! @Catalystik ! In college I began two mental health support groups on campus for students struggling with anxiety, etc, and for students with family members that struggle with some type of mental health disorder. I was the lead facilitator and coordinator of the support groups so in that respect I believe the activity to fall under the lines of "leadership," however, it was not a formal club/Organization on campus and so my time doing this was entirely volunteer-based so in that respect, a) could it be seen as community service as well? b) If so, what would be the best way so count the hours?

2) Lastly, I was the President for a diversity Org on campus and we received a noteworthy award for our work towards advocacy for marginalized groups on campus, I received the award on behalf of the executive board and as President I had planned all the events/work we did the year we were nominated and won. Should I describe this award as being presented to the Organization and I accepted it on our behalf? If so, would that even be worth mentioning in my app?
1) a) You can tag it as either Leadership or Community Service-Not medical/Clinical. b) You will have to make a 'best faith,' believable estimate of the hours of involvement. Hopefully, you have an objective Contact who can back you up.

2) Definitely mention the award and I like the way you have framed the attribution. Keeping the award in the same space as the affiliated Diversity Org will help maintain the context.

Since I'm reapplying how much do I need to change the work/activities descriptions? Personally I don't think there's really much I can do to improve.

Since I'm reapplying how much do I need to change the work/activities descriptions? Personally I don't think there's really much I can do to improve.
Your priority would be to make the PS appear superficially different: change some vocabulary, rearrange the opening paragraph, use a different anecdote, etc.

You don't need to "improve" the Activities section, but do read through them carefully. Some minor tweaks will occur to you, as is true for any piece of writing you set down and reread later. Be sure the dates of involvement are current and that Contacts are aware they may be called upon for verification.

Hi all, does anyone know who to list as a contact from a previous job that had a high turnover rate of managers/supervisors? It was a chain-store job too, so would it be best to list just the store's number and general human resources email?

As a non-trad, I have to combine multiple activities together into one on AMCAS. Would you recommend leaving out contact information for some of the activities in order to give a meaningful activity description? After writing the contact info for every activity in the combined activity, I only have room to write maybe 1-3 sentences for the combined description. Would adcoms care if only one contact is listed for the combined activities?

Any advice on weightlifting as an activity. I'm not sure what to put as an organization name?

As a non-trad, I have to combine multiple activities together into one on AMCAS. Would you recommend leaving out contact information for some of the activities in order to give a meaningful activity description? After writing the contact info for every activity in the combined activity, I only have room to write maybe 1-3 sentences for the combined description. Would adcoms care if only one contact is listed for the combined activities?
Thats what I was planning on doing!

Hi all, does anyone know who to list as a contact from a previous job that had a high turnover rate of managers/supervisors? It was a chain-store job too, so would it be best to list just the store's number and general human resources email?
Human Resources or pay office is fine. The Contact isn’t meant to provide a reference, just the time frame of employment.