*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, in the application do these need to be referenced with contact number and all that?
Thank you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, in the application do these need to be referenced with contact number and all that?
Thank you?
I have moved your question to this main thread regarding questions about the Work/Activities section.
Yes, you need to put down contact info, whether is it a phone number or e-mail address.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Is it okay to use the abbreviation IRB?
I understand that not all reviewers are in academia or research (some are community members etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I explicitly mention which of the "Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students" I demonstrated in each activity? For example, for a research activity: "I learned to think critically, ethically collect and represent data, and how to build social skills to be an active and dependable member of the lab." Explicitly mentioning critical thinking, ethics, social skills, dependability--feels very on the nose but am curious

Should I explicitly mention which of the "Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students" I demonstrated in each activity? For example, for a research activity: "I learned to think critically, ethically collect and represent data, and how to build social skills to be an active and dependable member of the lab." Explicitly mentioning critical thinking, ethics, social skills, dependability--feels very on the nose but am curious
It would seem like an AI wrote the entry for you. I’d suggest avoiding that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Oh damn. Ok thank you!!
well, instead of writing your descriptions like this (uses up too many valuable characters anyway), cast a critical eye over your collection of activities and see if you have displayed most of those attributes in your actions

Look at your secondary prompts. Some will explicitly ask you to do this for their applications, not in W/A.

As a screener, I am ambivalent. Sometimes it is nice not having to think about categorizing your Competencies, but being told how this activity matches with a Competency for all of your activities will get tiresome. Furthermore, no activity demonstrates purely one Competency, in spite of what the AAMC Anatomy of an Applicant essays infer.

Last edited:
Hi, I am applying 2023-2024 but have to submit my work/activities to my college for a committee letter soon so thought I would try and get some feedback.
I have a question about labeling and hours for a study abroad program. I did a semester in Ecuador studying conservation and sustainability. I also did an independent study and wrote a research paper on the health effects of mercury used in gold mining on populations in Ecuador.
I am not sure what to label it as, like I did do research but not in a lab or anything and I also just did normal coursework other projects during that time.
For hours I could just do the credit hours as suggested in another post here (can someone refresh me on how you calculate that), but we did week long excursions and definitely were out way more than what is on paper.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!

Hi, I am applying 2023-2024 but have to submit my work/activities to my college for a committee letter soon so thought I would try and get some feedback.
I have a question about labeling and hours for a study abroad program. I did a semester in Ecuador studying conservation and sustainability. I also did an independent study and wrote a research paper on the health effects of mercury used in gold mining on populations in Ecuador.
I am not sure what to label it as, like I did do research but not in a lab or anything and I also just did normal coursework other projects during that time.
For hours I could just do the credit hours as suggested in another post here (can someone refresh me on how you calculate that), but we did week long excursions and definitely were out way more than what is on paper.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!
As the Study Abroad experience and credit hours are on your official transcript, there is no need to calculate the hours of involvement, however, you might enter a 999 for hours, which is code for Unknowable. If you include the experience among your activities, list it under Other, since there are so many facets that are unrelated. In the description you can break out specific hours related to hypothesis-driven original research, or you can list that in its own space under Research. Be sure to discuss the cultural experience in the space, besides the list of separate projects.

This is kind of a a weird one, I know. I spent 2000+ hours during undergrad and my two gap years house/pet-sitting. I don't know if this is worth including in my activities. Mostly I want to show that I was doing work to support myself at the same time, as it was a lot of work. It required a fair amount of professionalism and I enjoyed caring for the animals, though I'm not sure if I should include it. Thank you, anyone, for feedback.

Sorry, I just realized I should have posted this in the EC question thread. My bad.

Last edited:
How are you calculating the hours that you were actually working?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you calculating the hours that you were actually working?
That's kind of the issue. This would be the maximum, as it would just be the time I spent at people's houses. I guess time actively caring for animals would be much smaller, though I have no idea how I'd estimate that. It's difficult because it wasn't real "employment" and would be kind of a boring hobby.

This is kind of a a weird one, I know. I spent 2000+ hours during undergrad and my two gap years house/pet-sitting. I don't know if this is worth including in my activities. Mostly I want to show that I was doing work to support myself at the same time, as it was a lot of work. It required a fair amount of professionalism and I enjoyed caring for the animals, though I'm not sure if I should include it. Thank you, anyone, for feedback.

Sorry, I just realized I should have posted this in the EC question thread. My bad.
Your post and the subsequent replies are now in the main Work/Activities thread.

does a published journal article (sub study my wet lab research did) in PubMed Central count as a publication even though it isnt a full blown paper?

does a published journal article (sub study my wet lab research did) in PubMed Central count as a publication even though it isnt a full blown paper?
I moved your question to the Work/Activities section for AMCAS. Is this article searchable/indexed? Does it have a PMID or other identification?

Besides answering Chilly's question: Is your name on the author list? Is this an abstract you're referring to, or is it in some other category?

I think it's fine to include under Employment, but you might include the percent of the time you were actually performing a service in your description (if the 2000 hours includes sleeping on the premises). A good faith estimate is fine. You can use yourself or one of your clients as a Contact.

Last edited:
Besides answering Chilly's question: Is your name on the author list? Is this an abstract you're referring to, or is it in some other category?
Yes, it has an author list, which I am third in out of seven. It has a PMCID, not a PMID. It is searchable on Pubmed central, and it is not an abstract. It is published as a short article with an abstract, methods/experiments, and results. it is an official journal titled, "Current developments/trends in X" (hiding the field for privacy). It just isnt a full blown paper. @chilly_md

Yes, it has an author list, which I am third in out of seven. It has a PMCID, not a PMID. It is searchable on Pubmed central, and it is not an abstract. It is published as a short article with an abstract, methods/experiments, and results. it is an official journal titled, "Current developments/trends in X" (hiding the field for privacy). It just isnt a full blown paper. @chilly_md
Yes, it counts as a publication for med school application purposes.

Had questions about two research opportunities I was in and whether they should be classified as something else.

I volunteered in a clinical research study, but I only reviewed participant's medical records/ charts and coded data into a spreadsheet.

The second research opportunity was with a nonprofit, working with participant's lab results as data, calling on participants to follow up and obtain that data, working with the participant's PCP/ clinics to obtain that data. I was able to strategize recruitment of the participants and did some tabling in order to recruit, but again, I am not sure if that would count as research.

Had questions about two research opportunities I was in and whether they should be classified as something else.

I volunteered in a clinical research study, but I only reviewed participant's medical records/ charts and coded data into a spreadsheet.

The second research opportunity was with a nonprofit, working with participant's lab results as data, calling on participants to follow up and obtain that data, working with the participant's PCP/ clinics to obtain that data. I was able to strategize recruitment of the participants and did some tabling in order to recruit, but again, I am not sure if that would count as research.
Did you do this for a class? Did you know the hypothesis behind each of the research efforts? Did you read the approved IRB documents? (Or were they part of in-house, institutional quality improvement efforts?) Were you part of team meetings? Were you involved in trouble shooting or did you have any other creative input? Has either study been submitted for review or been published? How many hours did you spend with each project?

Hello Everyone,

I had a quick question regarding how I should categorize one of my experiences on my Work and Activities section.

I am the president of a school organization that is focused around advocating for organ donation and registering individuals to become organ donors. Our club also hosts and runs multiple blood drives on campus each year in partnership with a local blood donation organization.

Due to the nature of the club, I spend a substantial amount of time in more volunteering related roles such as helping volunteer with checking people in during blood drives, hanging up flyers for upcoming events, and helping sign people up to become organ donors during tabling sessions. However, I also spend time with more of a leadership role, in terms of organizing events, meetings, and other more administrative tasks.

How do you think I should categorize this activity? I was thinking that I could list it as non-clinical volunteering and then mention in my description my role as president, but I would love any input on the best way to list this experience on AMCAS! Thank you!

How do you think I should categorize this activity? I was thinking that I could list it as non-clinical volunteering and then mention in my description my role as president, but I would love any input on the best way to list this experience on AMCAS! Thank you!
I have moved your question to the main Work/Activities thread.

This sounds more like leadership and is an on-campus activity. The non-clinical volunteering activities typically are off-campus.

I had a quick question regarding how I should categorize one of my experiences on my Work and Activities section.

I am the president of a school organization that is focused around advocating for organ donation and registering individuals to become organ donors. Our club also hosts and runs multiple blood drives on campus each year in partnership with a local blood donation organization.

Due to the nature of the club, I spend a substantial amount of time in more volunteering related roles such as helping volunteer with checking people in during blood drives, hanging up flyers for upcoming events, and helping sign people up to become organ donors during tabling sessions. However, I also spend time with more of a leadership role, in terms of organizing events, meetings, and other more administrative tasks.

This is a campus-related activity, but it benefits those in the wider community. I suggest listing it as Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical, but including a cue to the leadership role in both the title you give the activity, as well as in your description ( which should list the leadership-y things you do).

Did you do this for a class? Did you know the hypothesis behind each of the research efforts? Did you read the approved IRB documents? (Or were they part of in-house, institutional quality improvement efforts?) Were you part of team meetings? Were you involved in trouble shooting or did you have any other creative input? Has either study been submitted for review or been published? How many hours did you spend with each project?
They were not for a class.

The first one was a project done by a research scientist at UCSF, I finished 44 hours of what was considered volunteering since it was logged by volunteer services. I knew about the hypothesis, I did not read the IRB. I was not part of the team meetings. I was not part of the trouble shooting, the study was in its final steps and I was there to work on the data entry. It was also during initial COVID times so I wasn't allowed to do more. It was submitted for review.

The second one was a research internship/volunteer role at a nonprofit that was partnered with Rand Corporation research institute and a Cal state. I helped work on multiple studies, I read their hypothesis and IRBs. I was a part of their team meetings and actively played a role in trouble shooting recruitment problems. One of the studies have been submitted. It was 120 hours.

They were not for a class.

The first one was a project done by a research scientist at UCSF, I finished 44 hours of what was considered volunteering since it was logged by volunteer services. I knew about the hypothesis, I did not read the IRB. I was not part of the team meetings. I was not part of the trouble shooting, the study was in its final steps and I was there to work on the data entry. It was also during initial COVID times so I wasn't allowed to do more. It was submitted for review.

The second one was a research internship/volunteer role at a nonprofit that was partnered with Rand Corporation research institute and a Cal state. I helped work on multiple studies, I read their hypothesis and IRBs. I was a part of their team meetings and actively played a role in trouble shooting recruitment problems. One of the studies have been submitted. It was 120 hours.
Both "qualify" as Research experiences, but obviously the first was not particularly robust and is barely worth mentioning. I suggest not giving it its own space, but perhaps (at most) just briefly mentioning it as a backstory that inspired your interest in deeper involvement, leading to the second experience.

Both "qualify" as Research experiences, but obviously the first was not particularly robust and is barely worth mentioning. I suggest not giving it its own space, but perhaps (at most) just briefly mentioning it as a backstory that inspired your interest in deeper involvement, leading to the second experience.

Thanks for the advice. When you say "qualify" is it because I was doing wet labs/ I wasn't in charge of my own experiments?

Thanks for the advice. When you say "qualify" is it because I was doing wet labs/ I wasn't in charge of my own experiments?
It qualified technically because you were helping to generate new knowledge via a process using the scientific method. See my post below.

Last edited:
I wasn't in charge of my own experiments
LizzyM once explained quality of Research involvement like this:
I'd rank research experience in this way:

11. Housekeeping and supply ordering.

10. Helping others with projects, serving as a research assistant or technician.

9. Animal surgery.

8. Pilot work prior to writing a proposal for a testable hypothesis.

7. Responsibility for testing a hypothesis.

6. Funding of your project (not your PI's funding)

5. Poster presentation at a student event

4. Podium presentation at a student event

3. Poster presentation at a regional or national meeting in your specialty (published abstract)

2. Podium presentation at a regional or national meeting in your specialty (published abstract)

1. Authorship in a peer reviewed, national publication.

I have a question about a poster I presented at a national conference. I do want to note my abstract wasn't included in the program as I presented in the student caucus and poster session. Should I include this as a separate activity? Or is there a way to combine my research project with the poster?
Additionally, I was included as a middle author in an abstract. Should this be a separate activity as well?
I have a lot of activities and am having a difficult time narrowing them down so I may be overthinking. Thanks!

I have a question about a poster I presented at a national conference. I do want to note my abstract wasn't included in the program as I presented in the student caucus and poster session. Should I include this as a separate activity? Or is there a way to combine my research project with the poster?
Additionally, I was included as a middle author in an abstract. Should this be a separate activity as well?
I have a lot of activities and am having a difficult time narrowing them down so I may be overthinking. Thanks!
You may include mention of the posters within the related Research spaces. But better, group the two posters into one space, listing the one with the published abstract first. If the same person can't be used as the Contact for both, include the PI for the second listing within the narrative portion, along with its other description.

See item 20 in post #2 of this thread.

You may include mention of the posters within the related Research spaces. But better, group the two posters into one space, listing the one with the published abstract first. If the same person can't be used as the Contact for both, include the PI for the second listing within the narrative portion, along with its other description.

See item 20 in post #2 of this thread.
Thanks! I can use the same person as a contact and list the two together.

Gotcha, thanks!

So just to clarify what I would put if I did... I was a finalist for the PD Soros Fellowship, which is open to applications from immigrants and their children. Seems like half of the winners are MD students, so I believe a number of programs would know of it? Then I could use the space to talk about my background experience in an immigrant family, as I won't be talking about that elsewhere in my primary. Would that be useful?
I think you can easily work the criteria that earned you the finalist position into a suitable Secondary essay without having to mention that you didn’t win. Even if you didn’t have any extracurricular activity that reflects some of that.

I’m struggling to define/separate my volunteering for a tutoring org. I originally started off as a general tutor, but now that I’ve been there for half a year I’m gaining additional responsibilities as an exec, helping coordinate students and managing and overseeing out curriculum. It feels like I should separate my work as a tutor and my work as an exec since the actual work is different (maybe labeling the former tutoring and the latter leadership)? Yet this also feels disingenuous since I did all this under the same tutoring organization.

I definitely have the room to separate them, but doing so would decrease the hours in each (approx 85 tutoring and 50ish in leadership). Any advice would be really appreciated!! TIA

I’m struggling to define/separate my volunteering for a tutoring org. I originally started off as a general tutor, but now that I’ve been there for half a year I’m gaining additional responsibilities as an exec, helping coordinate students and managing and overseeing out curriculum. It feels like I should separate my work as a tutor and my work as an exec since the actual work is different (maybe labeling the former tutoring and the latter leadership)? Yet this also feels disingenuous since I did all this under the same tutoring organization.

I definitely have the room to separate them, but doing so would decrease the hours in each (approx 85 tutoring and 50ish in leadership). Any advice would be really appreciated!! TIA
Bothe the tutoring and the leadership component can be classified as Volunteer. Since diluting the hours would weaken both entries, why not keep it together (using one Total Hours entry at the top of the space), but include something in the title you give the space that touches on both roles, then define those roles further in your narrative (along with the hourly breakdown).

I am unsure of how to write the W&A descriptions. I think I am writing them too specific with a specific story. Please help.

I am unsure of how to write the W&A descriptions. I think I am writing them too specific with a specific story. Please help.
Some Activity description examples for you, with thanks to member Nick Naylor:

Scroll down slightly to Activities. If necessary, click each activity name to see the expanded narrative.
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19291

I suggest trying to keep the "stories" to a minimum, perhaps saving them for your Most Meaningful or PS entries. For general Activities, they keep you from using the space to tell us what we need to know.
Having read many of these, it makes it sound like you had one encounter and little productivity. I prefer getting a bigger picture: knowing the activity description, what your role was, what you learned, and if there's space, what the impact was.

Hello! I have some questions about consolidating shadowing experiences. I shadowed physicians from surgery as well as family care. Both are wildly different as I would be either in an OR or a patient office. Should I just consolidate the two experiences to 1 submission (e.g "Hospital Shadowing")?

Thank You!!

I have some questions about consolidating shadowing experiences. I shadowed physicians from surgery as well as family care. Both are wildly different as I would be either in an OR or a patient office. Should I just consolidate the two experiences to 1 submission (e.g "Hospital Shadowing")?
Yes, group the experiences into one space. See an example in post 2, item 10 of this thread.

I have two publications from different research groups. What is the best way to group them into one entry? A template would be so helpful, or links to a resource for this! thank you.

I have two publications from different research groups. What is the best way to group them into one entry? A template would be so helpful, or links to a resource for this! thank you.

See post #2, item 14 of this thread. You can group them into one entry with their respective citations in the description.

Also look at item 20 in post 2 of this thread, in case any other mentioned considerations apply to you.

I have been listed as 13th coauthor on a paper published in a national journal. I don't want to overstate my role, though I did put a fair amount of work into it. The guide at the beginning of this thread says to make a separate entry in AMCAS for it. Should I still do so for this one? For what it's worth, the title is really long and would take up a lot of my "research" entry. Thank you!

I'm leaning yes mostly for space constraints but wanted to check.

I have been listed as 13th coauthor on an article published in a national journal. I don't want to overstate my role, though I did put a fair amount of work into it. The guide at the beginning of this thread says to make a separate entry in AMCAS for it. Should I still do so for this one? For what it's worth, the title is really long and would take up a lot of my "research entry". Thank you!

I'm leaning yes mostly for space constraints but wanted to check.
If the pub was based on your group’s original research: You are a coauthor. You should list it under Publications, shortening the title as needed, including enough information so it can be located by an interested screener. Include your contributions in the narrative if they weren’t fully covered in the affiliated Research entry. If this was a different type of publication, give me more information.

If the pub was based on your group’s original research: You are a coauthor. You should list it under Publications, shortening the title as needed, including enough information so it can be located by an interested screener. Include your contributions in the narrative if they weren’t fully covered in the affiliated Research entry. If this was a different type of publication, give me more information.
Yes it's our original research, so I'll go ahead and do that. Thank you!

Hi, I have a general question. When should one include stories in work/activities? I know stories in w/a descriptions are discouraged on SDN, but should I include a story in each of my most meaningful activities? Thanks!

Hi, I have a general question. When should one include stories in work/activities? I know stories in w/a descriptions are discouraged on SDN, but should I include a story in each of my most meaningful activities? Thanks!
If you have space in a MM entry after including the important components, and if it fits the narrative you wish to convey, that is a time when a succinct anecdote can be included. Don’t force it just to make every MM entry fit a certain format.