*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I was wondering if it is important to have a hobby in the works and activities section? I have slots available and have heard it's best to include a hobby since it shows more about who you are. The 3 main activities that I can combine under 1 slot are tennis, cooking, and traveling (specifically historical landmarks to learn more about cultures and languages). I was wondering if it's worth it to include them since they might be cliche?
A hobby is worth including. I would suggest picking one that you have done more with so you can dedicate more space to it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if it is important to have a hobby in the works and activities section? I have slots available and have heard it's best to include a hobby since it shows more about who you are. The 3 main activities that I can combine under 1 slot are tennis, cooking, and traveling (specifically historical landmarks to learn more about cultures and languages). I was wondering if it's worth it to include them since they might be cliche?
Yes, it’s important to include a Hobbies slot. Be sure to include details that will make each hobby interesting to readers, then they won’t be “cliche.”

Yes, it’s important to include a Hobbies slot. Be sure to include details that will make each hobby interesting to readers, then they won’t be “cliche.”
Thank you! I also wanted to ask in terms of hours, what is the best way to estimate it if they have been going on for years? For example, I have been playing tennis for many years and I can't estimate how many hours it adds up to. Can I just put 1 and then in the description mention I've been playing since "this year for this many hours per week"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I also wanted to ask in terms of hours, what is the best way to estimate it if they have been going on for years? For example, I have been playing tennis for many years and I can't estimate how many hours it adds up to. Can I just put 1 and then in the description mention I've been playing since "this year for this many hours per week"?
I suggest entering a 999, which means “unknowable hours.“ Or a 99 or 9999 if that’s closer.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's say I have the following:
Sep 2016 - Apr 2017
Sep 2017 - Apr 2018
Sep 2018 - Apr 2019

Can the activity (same position as tutor) be listed as one range as Sep 2016 to Apr 2019?
I have moved your question to the main AMCAS Work and Activities thread. Yes, since you were doing this for the majority of the year, you can keep it as a single date range. The description could make it clear that this occured during the academic year and not summer break.

Reactions: 1 users
@chilly_md I currently do not have enough characters to add this part in. Would it still be ok to not mention it? I don't want to be unethical or get my app thrown out. Should I cut part of the description to get this part in?
Thanks!
No, you don't have to specify that. I mean that if the description is about doing something on-campus at your undergrad or tutoring students, it is assumed that this activity will have off semesters.

Don't overthink it.

• Care
As a reapplicant, am I expected to completely rewrite all of my work/activities, regardless of how well I feel I wrote some of them?

Hi, if I already have 60 hours of in-person shadowing, is worth to also include the virtual shadowing hours I have? If I should include it, should it be in the same slot as in-person (where in the description I indicate virtual) or create another slot for just virtual?

Hi, if I already have 60 hours of in-person shadowing, is worth to also include the virtual shadowing hours I have? If I should include it, should it be in the same slot as in-person (where in the description I indicate virtual) or create another slot for just virtual?
I would definitely NOT give virtual shadowing its own space. Include it if you must, perhaps with a comment at the end of the Shadowing narrative like, "In addition to the above hours I virtually shadowed {specialty] for 20 more hours."

I would definitely NOT give virtual shadowing its own space. Include it if you must, perhaps with a comment at the end of the Shadowing narrative like, "In addition to the above hours I virtually shadowed {specialty] for 20 more hours."
Thank you! Do we also need to include the virtual hours in the combined hours we input for the overall experience or is indicating it only in the description fine? I've read mixed opinions about this, as some said they might think you are trying to sneak more hours into the overall in-person hours.

As a reapplicant, am I expected to completely rewrite all of my work/activities, regardless of how well I feel I wrote some of them?
I have moved your question to the AMCAS Work/Activities thread. Yes, you should rewrite a significant amount of them, especially if you received less than 3 interviews. Sending the same materials does not reflect well if schools have access to your prior app.

Thank you! Do we also need to include the virtual hours in the combined hours we input for the overall experience or is indicating it only in the description fine? I've read mixed opinions about this, as some said they might think you are trying to sneak more hours into the overall in-person hours.
I would not include the virtual shadowing hours in the Total Hours space. Mentioning it only in your description is fine. If you elect to do so regardless, make the breakdown of real-time vs virtual clear in the description.

My slightly less conservative approach would be to completely rewrite the PS but to only somewhat change the activity descriptions, perhaps through a new first sentence plus varied vocabulary, leaving the rest of the structure unchanged if you’re happy with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finalizing my AMCAS application to submit in the next couple of days. I wanted to get some feedback on an activity I marked as "social justice/advocacy" but I'm not entirely sure if this should fall under a different non-clinical category instead.

I worked over one summer with a refugee resettlement program where we supported newcomers with accessing resources like housing, healthcare, and schooling. The project I was mostly involved with was ensuring families had laptops with webcams they could use for their kids to go to school remotely during the pandemic.

I could see this falling under non-clinical work or volunteering and given that social justice/advocacy is a new category I just wanted to get some second opinions before I submit.

If you were face-to-face with the refugees and providing them with non-clinical services and material support, I'd call it "volunteer, non-clinical". I'd save the social justice/advocacy tag for time spent lobbying Congress, and/or state/local government to support policy changes to help refugees, recruiting others to the cause, and similar "advocacy" which, to me, means speaking up on behalf of others.

This is non-clinical volunteering. According to AMCAS: a Social Justice/Advocacy experience is one in which the applicant worked to advance the rights, privileges, or opportunities of a person, a group of people, or a cause. Sure, you helped families gain access to education, but you didn't necessarily advocate for their civil rights/ assist with policy change that allowed for widespread dispersal of laptops.

I was in work study and did part time as a clerical assistant for a psych division's administrative team. I handled medical info/ research participant data from time to time because I worked with the psychiatrists and psychologists in the department.

Would this be non clinical or clinical work?

I was in work study and did part time as a clerical assistant for a psych division's administrative team. I handled medical info/ research participant data from time to time because I worked with the psychiatrists and psychologists in the department.

Would this be non clinical or clinical work?
Nonclinical, for AMCAS purposes. You did not directly interact with current patients.

Hi all! I'm puzzling over the "social justice/advocacy" category with regard to political work. Here's the AAMC description again:
experiences in which an applicant worked to advance the rights, privileges, or opportunities of a person, group, or cause, examples: registering people to vote, climate activism, advocating for civil rights, decreasing health inequities, addressing food deserts, building awareness for a particular cause or health condition, advocating for vulnerable populations (e.g., children, homeless people), and assisting with policy change or development. This question is not intended to solicit experiences campaigning for a particular political candidate or party.
Am I right to interpret the last sentence as a disclaimer (so the AAMC can't be accused of favoring applicants with certain political views), not as an instruction to omit volunteering that involved politics? I've spent a lot of time canvassing, door-knocking, etc. for specific candidates and parties, with the end goal of advancing climate action, universal healthcare, tenant protection, etc through legislation. I could either class these as "social justice/advocacy" or as non-clinical volunteering. My impulse is to do the latter, because I find the phrase "social justice/advocacy" annoying 😂. But I tend to overthink these things.

Hi all! I'm puzzling over the "social justice/advocacy" category with regard to political work. Here's the AAMC description again:

Am I right to interpret the last sentence as a disclaimer (so the AAMC can't be accused of favoring applicants with certain political views), not as an instruction to omit volunteering that involved politics? I've spent a lot of time canvassing, door-knocking, etc. for specific candidates and parties, with the end goal of advancing climate action, universal healthcare, tenant protection, etc through legislation. I could either class these as "social justice/advocacy" or as non-clinical volunteering. My impulse is to do the latter, because I find the phrase "social justice/advocacy" annoying 😂. But I tend to overthink these things.
The AAMC doesn't care about your political affiliation, but unfortunately, individual adcomms might. Staying neutral in the way that you frame your narrative would perhaps be in your better interests. The tag you use should depend on how you present the activity. If you want to post a sample description leaning one way or the other, we might help by telling you if you did it right.

Also, if you were specifically campaigning for a political party, I'm not sure it would fit well as Non-Clinical Volunteering. Consider the tag "Other" or "Extracurricular" instead.

Last edited:
The AAMC doesn't care about your political affiliation, but unfortunately, individual adcomms might. Staying neutral in the way that you frame your narrative would perhaps be in your better interests. The tag you use should depend on how you present the activity. If you want to post a sample description leaning one way or the other, we might help by telling you if you did it right.

Also, if you were specifically campaigning for a political party, I'm not sure it would fit well as Non-Clinical Volunteering. Consider the tag "Other" or "Extracurricular" instead.
Thank you for your reply! I'll write them first (long day) and get back to you.

Hi, as I am finalizing my application I have a question about patient names. I was a caretaker for 2 people (one of which was a family member) and I listed one of them for contact info. Even though their name is given as the contact, should I still change their names in the description narrative and the most meaningful experience part by doing the "random name" method since I did talk about their condition etc.?

Hi, as I am finalizing my application I have a question about patient names. I was a caretaker for 2 people (one of which was a family member) and I listed one of them for contact info. Even though their name is given as the contact, should I still change their names in the description narrative and the most meaningful experience part by doing the "random name" method since I did talk about their condition etc.?
If you have the person’s permission to discuss their personal info/condition, you don’t have to change the name. Otherwise, yes.

If you have the person’s permission to discuss their personal info/condition, you don’t have to change the name. Otherwise, yes.
Thank you! I do have both of their permissions. Would I have to indicate that I have permission, or would the admissions understand? I was unsure since I read that people who include real names might be seen as a red flag due to violating patient privacy since admissions can't know if there was permission.

Thank you! I do have both of their permissions. Would I have to indicate that I have permission, or would the admissions understand? I was unsure since I read that people who include real names might be seen as a red flag due to violating patient privacy since admissions can't know if there was permission.
You know, you can just list yourself as the contact for these activities

I think it would be a good idea to list the permission, like, "(details with patients' permission)." It would show you're sensitive to privacy considerations.

Hi there, just have a question regarding whether or not I should make a separate activity slot to include that while being a medical assistant I also had to train other MA's that got hired while I was working there. Could I add this as a separate leadership experience along the lines of like MA trainer? If I did this as a separate activity I would have to subtract out hours from my total time as an MA to use them there as we aren't supposed to use hours twice right? I do plan on making my MA position as one of my most meaningful experiences so I could just expand on this there, but since I only have 8 activities I was wondering if making this separate would be better?

Also, if I plan on adding weight lifting as a hobby, is this too similar to intramural sports to have that as a hobby as well; should I just choose between weight lifting or intramurals and only record one as a hobby (I don't have 15 activities so its not like I only have room for one or the other, just more curious if they are too similar). Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated and good luck to everyone applying!

Hi there, just have a question regarding whether or not I should make a separate activity slot to include that while being a medical assistant I also had to train other MA's that got hired while I was working there. 1) Could I add this as a separate leadership experience along the lines of like MA trainer? 2) If I did this as a separate activity I would have to subtract out hours from my total time as an MA to use them there as we aren't supposed to use hours twice right? I do plan on making my MA position as one of my most meaningful experiences so I could just expand on this there, but since I only have 8 activities 3) I was wondering if making this separate would be better?

4) Also, if I plan on adding weight lifting as a hobby, is this too similar to intramural sports to have that as a hobby as well; should I just choose between weight lifting or intramurals and only record one as a hobby (I don't have 15 activities so its not like I only have room for one or the other, just more curious if they are too similar). Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated and good luck to everyone applying!
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) As long as there are a decent number of hours for each category, it’s a good idea.
4) I suggest using “Extracurricular” for the intramurals and “Hobbies” for the weight lifting.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) As long as there are a decent number of hours for each category, it’s a good idea.
4) I suggest using “Extracurricular” for the intramurals and “Hobbies” for the weight lifting.
Thanks so much for the information! Also, do you know if it is worth it to include a paid non clinical position I had during the summer before freshman year of college (kind of confused here since this technically is after HS but before college)?

Thanks so much for the information! Also, do you know if it is worth it to include a paid non clinical position I had during the summer before freshman year of college (kind of confused here since this technically is after HS but before college)?
If it was after HS graduation, it would be considered “within the college years. “ Whether it is worth including is for you to decide.

If it was after HS graduation, it would be considered “within the college years. “ Whether it is worth including is for you to decide.
Got it, thanks a lot for the info and the fast responses!

If I did research for 3 years throughout my undergrad but not over the summers, should I say this experience is not repeated or should I list that it is repeated and include the dates (from fall to spring)?

Also if i include an entry for my research and write another entry for my publications from the same research, do I write 0 hours for the publication?

Also if i include an entry for my research and write another entry for my publications from the same research, do I write 0 hours for the publication?
Or should I say 0 hours for the publications and then in the experience description note "(actual hours of involvement included with research entry)"

If I did research for 3 years throughout my undergrad but not over the summers, should I say this experience is not repeated or should I list that it is repeated and include the dates (from fall to spring)?
I don't think it matters just put the date you start and the date you end. By this logic, if you take a week off for Spring Break, you would have to include that... 3 times... as long as the hours are correct, I don't think including gaps is necessary for breaks.
I would put the number of hours you worked on the actual manuscript - writing any sections, creating tables, editing, etc.

I would just list one continuous timeframe.
Most people put 0 hours for this, but if you want to try and estimate the number of hours you spent generating the publication that's also fine.

Wondering about the rate at which med schools contact references. I have my contacts for my most meaningful experiences in order but I had to put down the HR number and email for my oldest non clinical experience due to not being able to get into contact with my coworker from my time as a lab tech.

Wondering about the rate at which med schools contact references. I have my contacts for my most meaningful experiences in order but I had to put down the HR number and email for my oldest non clinical experience due to not being able to get into contact with my coworker from my time as a lab tech.
I have moved your question to this main AMCAS Work/Activities thread. Please see post #2, item #7 on the first page. Putting HR down is fine.

I have moved your question to this main AMCAS Work/Activities thread. Please see post #2, item #7 on the first page. Putting HR down is fine.
Hey sorry for the trouble and thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited:
Hi all. I participated in about 5 cultural organizations on my campus, 2 of which I held a leadership role. I decided to describe the 2 leadership ones individually and group the 3 other under one listing on amcas since all my spots are nice and filled up.

I tried putting the org name, hours, years participated and a one sentence description of my participation in the grouped listing. I am struggling with the word count and want to know if I should omit any of the categories I placed in favor of contact information for them, or should I leave it as is with and omit contact information.

Hi all. I participated in about 5 cultural organizations on my campus, 2 of which I held a leadership role. I decided to describe the 2 leadership ones individually and group the 3 other under one listing on amcas since all my spots are nice and filled up.

I tried putting the org name, hours, years participated and a one sentence description of my participation in the grouped listing. I am struggling with the word count and want to know if I should omit any of the categories I placed in favor of contact information for them, or should I leave it as is with and omit contact information.
Can you perhaps pare down the contact info so it's just an email address? Or use yourself as the Contact for all three?

Can you perhaps pare down the contact info so it's just an email address? Or use yourself as the Contact for all three?
Those were both my thoughts, I wasn't sure what was preferable. maybe just emails for all 3 and my own in the actual contact space? Also, I don't think I have the room for the names and titles for the contacts. Does that sound okay. Thank you for the help!

Those were both my thoughts, I wasn't sure what was preferable. maybe just emails for all 3 and my own in the actual contact space? Also, I don't think I have the room for the names and titles for the contacts. Does that sound okay. Thank you for the help!
Not listing the names and titles of the Contacts were what I meant by "pare down." Yes, it's OK.

Hi again, I was just wondering if putting down mushroom farming and animal rehabilitation/treatment sound like good hobbies for the work/activities section

Yes. Both are less common and thus good potential conversation starters at interviews.
Good to hear! Hopefully my app will progress to the point where I can describe the times where I looked at turtle stool under a microscope to look for parasites to adcoms

Thank you I have unrelated followup question. I had a summer NIH internship which was online during the pandemic but wasn't supposed to be normally. Should I mention that it was virtual in the description? I feel like I described it well and honestly without indicating that its virtual. I kind of worry It wouldn't be taken as seriously If it was stated as virtual.

Also I presented at a virtual conference for a poster that was technically based in Atlanta at the CDC. Should I mention it as virtual, or the technical location of the summit?

I had a summer NIH internship which was online during the pandemic but wasn't supposed to be normally. 1) Should I mention that it was virtual in the description? I feel like I described it well and honestly without indicating that its virtual. I kind of worry It wouldn't be taken as seriously If it was stated as virtual.

Also I presented at a virtual conference for a poster that was technically based in Atlanta at the CDC.2) Should I mention it as virtual, or the technical location of the summit?
1) Yes. Mention it was virtual.
2) include both facts.

For the most meaningful activities is it okay to have a sentence get 'split' as a consequence of being at the end of the 700 character section and the start of the 1325 character section?

Hi again,

For work and activity description should you simply describe your job and what you did or should you take a more story based approach like what some people suggest?