***Official April 2006 MCAT Practice Test and Verbal 101 Test Scores***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AAMC 8R - 30 10/10/10

Pretty pissed off right now, I need better than a 30 with my grades. +pissed+

That damn passage on literature and literary study absolutely molested me.

'Rambler

AAMC 9:

PS: 68/77 = 12 (1 pt from 13)
VR: 46/60 = 9! (1 pt from 10) lowest score in a long time...
BS: 66/77 =12

Well, I'm happy to know my sciences are solid but a little thrown by the 9 in verbal. I've been in the 10 to 11 range in EKs, and solid 11s on 4R and 5R. I felt like verbal went badly during the test so I'm not shocked, but just think "what if this were to happen on game day"? I ran out of time at the end and guessed on a few.

Booooo verbal, I feel like its a golf swing and mine has gone bad lately! I think I'm gonna try doing a few untimed passages next week to "get back into it" and then make sure I get 5-6 more full lengths done before the 22nd...

Good weekend everyone.

Zymogen said:
Thanks. Which one should I take?

Zymogen-

Wow! Your scores increased dramatically! How have you been studying? I got the same on my diagnostic and FL 1 as you did, but I have not hit the 31 mark yet. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Lests55 said:
Hey Lance, you're my soulmate! I have taken three AAMC's, I got two 11's (on 5 & 7) and one 9 :eek: (on 4)...so I guess we'll see.

Just to keep the trend, got a 9 today on AAMC 9.

AWhitehair said:
Zymogen-

Wow! Your scores increased dramatically! How have you been studying? I got the same on my diagnostic and FL 1 as you did, but I have not hit the 31 mark yet. :(

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. I've been re-reading Kaplan chapters mostly. There is still some areas I need to cover. The main difference for the 3rd FL was that I just went faster. I was having trouble finishing on previous exams. Despite rushing a little bit, it appears as though finishing the sections can really make the difference.

EK 101
Test 1: 4 :((
Test 2: 6 33/60
Test 3: Skipped
Test 4: 9 :) ( i thought it was a fluke, then...) 43/60
Test 5: 9 !!!! 43/60

I hope to God this keeps up, I truly would be happy with a 9 or 10.

DrCurious said:
EK 101

Guys, I bought some Kaplan materials from ebay, but I don't have any scales to go along with the answer keys... Where can I get them?

DrCurious said:
EK 101

Im with you, I would be estatic if I got a 9 or 10...I seriously would have tears of joy lol (you people getting 12s dont laugh at me) :)

Madcoomofo said:
Guys, I bought some Kaplan materials from ebay, but I don't have any scales to go along with the answer keys... Where can I get them?

they're posted on here somewhere, under the title "Kaplan Conversion Charts...Get em while they're hot!" or something like that.

Zymogen said:
Yeah, I was pretty surprised. I've been re-reading Kaplan chapters mostly. There is still some areas I need to cover. The main difference for the 3rd FL was that I just went faster. I was having trouble finishing on previous exams. Despite rushing a little bit, it appears as though finishing the sections can really make the difference.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea... I should totally try finishing and see if my scores improve. :laugh:

DrVanNostran said:
Im with you, I would be estatic if I got a 9 or 10...I seriously would have tears of joy lol (you people getting 12s dont laugh at me) :)

Yeah I would be happy with a 8-10 range in Verbal as long as my other scores are high up there in the 11+ range.

Anastasis said:
Why would we laugh at you?

I bet you can do it; I'm rooting for you!

I really hope to stay consistent now, Sciences have always been fine, just nerves on the verbal section.

I just looked at where my test is, Im in the Ghetto.... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 7

PS 14
VR 10
BS 15

PS was an adventure. I felt that section was pretty hard, and throughout it I was feeling uncertain and uncomfortable with my performance since there were some pretty vague questions on there. It turns out I was 1 question from a 15 in that section! That means I could've gotten a 15 if I didn't miss that cell potential problem LOL by carelessness OMGWTFBBQ

VR was a landmine! Full of obscure and vague questions. Please tell me the VR on AAMC 7 was abnormally harder than the real thing :oops:

BS also had its share of vague questions, and I felt I just did ok in that section. This test is unpredictable!

15 in BS...yeah I think "ok" seems like a good description.. :sleep:

Zymogen said:
15 in BS...yeah I think "ok" seems like a good description.. :sleep:

I felt my performance was ok while I was taking it. You know while taking a section, you either feel like you're acing it, neutral, or getting owned by it?

Teerawit said:
I felt my performance was ok while I was taking it. You know while taking a section, you either feel like you're acing it, neutral, or getting owned by it?

Not to scare you or anything. But on real test day you'll feel like you got punched over and over and over. However, your scores will be reflective of the practice scores in most cases.

I found a lot of people who scored in the 35-40+ range were all the same people telling me after test day that they felt like they bombed the test.

It isn't normal to feel like you weren't sure of how you did and then to find out you did extremely well.

Just thought I'd share with you all.

gujuDoc said:
Not to scare you or anything. But on real test day you'll feel like you got punched over and over and over. However, your scores will be reflective of the practice scores in most cases.

i know what you mean by the getting punched over and over again. it's so true. if you get extreme testing anxiety, get a massage or do something to relax in the days before the test. i think if i had done that, my score might have been reflective of my practice scores.

in other news, i took AAMC 7 this weekend. i'm kinda bummed b/c my score went down from the last 4 tests i've taken, but i felt i was overthinking many Qs, which probably contributed to the low score.

score:
PS: 10
VR: 9
BS: 9

total = 28

i'm taking the outlook that every question missed is an opportunity to get one right on test day. :/

gujuDoc said:

No worries. I kinda realized that after taking practice tests:

When I feel like I did well, my scores are :thumbdown:
When I feel like I did poorly, my scores are :thumbup:

I think it's because when you do well, you aren't falling for the tricks and trapfalls in the questions. However, it takes some extra brain juice to deduce everything, hence you feel like you aren't sure nor confident.

Teerawit said:
No worries. I kinda realized that after taking practice tests:

When I feel like I did well, my scores are :thumbdown:
When I feel like I did poorly, my scores are :thumbup:

I think it's because when you do well, you aren't falling for the tricks and trapfalls in the questions. However, it takes some extra brain juice to deduce everything, hence you feel like you aren't sure nor confident.

Agreed with the last paragraph. The first paragraph has described many a SDN poster. :laugh: :laugh:

Look through old threads if you need proof.

I just got done going over my last full-length and by far my weakest area is Orgo. I wonder if I have enough time left to make up for my weaknesses. Is EK a good resource for O-chem or should I look into something else?

Anastasis said:
I just got done going over my last full-length and by far my weakest area is Orgo. I wonder if I have enough time left to make up for my weaknesses. Is EK a good resource for O-chem or should I look into something else?

I've read through both EK and Kaplan orgo and I think that EK is much better. Kaplan has more information, but it's a lot of mechanisms that you don't need to know. EK goes through and more tries to show you why a particular reaction occurs the way that it does so you are able to take that information and apply it to lots of other reactions, whereas Kaplan spends a lot of time just showing different reactions without as much explanation.

I'm in a TPR class and I think their text is very good. The things I would prioritize are (not in any order):

1) Redox (learn what are reducing/oxidizing agents)
2) Nucleophilic/Electrophilic addition
3) Brush up on a few common reagents, maybe spents a few hours with flash cards just so you can recognize them if you saw them
4) Make sure you know your stereoisomer rules
5) General idea of which groups and why are electron donating/withdrawing
6) Acidity (i.e. the stability of the conjugate base)

More than anything I think the highest yield thing would be to make sure you understand WHY things are happening. I think so much of Ochem and esp. MCAT Ochem can be done with very little memorization if you can understand how/why things are happening.

McMurry's text book is really good too. Good luck.

Lanced said:
I'm in a TPR class and I think their text is very good. The things I would prioritize are (not in any order):

1) Redox (learn what are reducing/oxidizing agents)
2) Nucleophilic/Electrophilic addition
3) Brush up on a few common reagents, maybe spents a few hours with flash cards just so you can recognize them if you saw them
4) Make sure you know your stereoisomer rules
5) General idea of which groups and why are electron donating/withdrawing
6) Acidity (i.e. the stability of the conjugate base)

More than anything I think the highest yield thing would be to make sure you understand WHY things are happening. I think so much of Ochem and esp. MCAT Ochem can be done with very little memorization if you can understand how/why things are happening.

McMurry's text book is really good too. Good luck.

Thanks, Lanced. I appreciate it.

Hey y'all,

Quick Q. for those of you who have taken multiple aamc's. I have taken 8r and will take 9r this saturday. I would like to take 2 more aamc's, which ones would you take and why.

Thanks in advance for the response,

'Rambler

I just took 6 and 7. 6 was ok, but 7 really kicked my ass. i would definitely recommend those two, since they are the most recent besides 8 and 9, which you already plan to take. I think your best bet is to go with what's most recent. i took the real MCAT last august, and test 7 was the most accurate thing i've seen so far to the real thing (i will take 8 and 9 this weekend and next weekend, respectively).

hope that helps. good luck! :)

WestTexasRambler said:
Hey y'all,

Quick Q. for those of you who have taken multiple aamc's. I have taken 8r and will take 9r this saturday. I would like to take 2 more aamc's, which ones would you take and why.

Thanks in advance for the response,

'Rambler

scentimint said:
I just took 6 and 7. 6 was ok, but 7 really kicked my ass. i would definitely recommend those two, since they are the most recent besides 8 and 9, which you already plan to take. I think your best bet is to go with what's most recent. i took the real MCAT last august, and test 7 was the most accurate thing i've seen so far to the real thing (i will take 8 and 9 this weekend and next weekend, respectively).

hope that helps. good luck! :)

Thank you. 8r kicked me in the face pretty good. My main problem, RTFQ. Keep us updated and review your G-chem, young's double slit experiment and sound for 8r.

FWIW 8r 30 - 10,10,10
I would like at least a 32 to mitigate my poor undergraduate GPA (3.3)

'Rambler

WestTexasRambler said:
Thank you. 8r kicked me in the face pretty good. My main problem, RTFQ. Keep us updated and review your G-chem, young's double slit experiment and sound for 8r.

'Rambler

6R and 7 because they are the next two most current ones available. Also, they are pretty good indicators of how you will do and not as easy as 5R's sciences or 4R's sciences.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 21 (7P, 6V, 8BS)
Kaplan Full-Length #1: 24 (8P, 7V, 9BS)
Kaplan Full-Length #2: 27 (10P, 9V, 8BS)
Kaplan Full-Length #3: 31 (11P, 10V, 10BS)

2 Words: Flash Cards...I wish I started making them sooner.

What are you people doing who have already reviewed all the material? Taking practice sections everyday?

I've been trying to do a PS section along with a verbal section daily, but these Kaplan FL's are pretty discouraging... Having to guess on like 8 problems because of lack of time. Luckily the curve makes the scores come out okay...

Just wondering what everyone else is doing at this point. Would it be more helpful to retake the AAMC's sections rather than kill myself on the FL's? Thanks!

Tommyk7 said:
What are you people doing who have already reviewed all the material? Taking practice sections everyday?

I've been trying to do a PS section along with a verbal section daily, but these Kaplan FL's are pretty discouraging... Having to guess on like 8 problems because of lack of time. Luckily the curve makes the scores come out okay...

Just wondering what everyone else is doing at this point. Would it be more helpful to retake the AAMC's sections rather than kill myself on the FL's? Thanks!

i wouldn't stress too much about kaplan's PS sections. they're very calculation-heavy and much more difficult than what you'll see on the real test. however, since those sections are more difficult, it can be good practice. if you've got the high yield problem solving guide, that's also a good one to look over.

i'm pretty much done with going over all the material, but i'm reviewing a chapter here and there whenever i have a free moment (e.g. on the train to work).

i haven't re-taken any exams or sections, so I can't speak to that question. the only thing i know is that if you're the kind of person who remembers a question you've seen before, then re-doing a test probably wouldn't work well for you.

hope that helps!

averaging 10's on the 101 verbal and pr stuff and then hit 3r and got a 5? WTF? Maybe it's my emotional state right now. ****es.

Anyone else have this problem?

manfood.com said:
averaging 10's on the 101 verbal and pr stuff and then hit 3r and got a 5? WTF? Maybe it's my emotional state right now. ****es.

Anyone else have this problem?

hmm, that's pretty weird. did you check to make sure you used the right conversion chart? or maybe you made a mistake when you put the answers into the e-mcat site (if that's how you scored it)?

in other news, i got 47/60 (scaled = 10) on EK 101 test 5 today. exactly the same as test 4. 2 more correct and i'll make it up to 11. i'm happy i've been pretty consistent, though (43, 46, 47, 47 so far).

Took Kaplan FL-4 today, substituting EK-101 Test 4 for the Kaplan Verbal Section. I got a 14 PS, 10 VR (1 raw point away from an 11!,) and 12 BS = 36. I'm pretty psyched because that's my first 14 on ANY section of any test so far.

I need to concentrate on BS and VR more, since my scores seem to have stagnated at 10/11 on VR and 12 BS.

Good Luck All,

J

Tommyk7 said:

That's a lot of practice problems that you are doing each day. You might want to put a day break in between each time. Just make sure that you don't burn yourself out.

Right now I've finished the EK series and so I'm just going over old practice tests and figuring out what I know/don't know on them. Then, I'm hitting the weaknesses on those practice tests and making sure that I learn those materials.

jota_jota said:
Took Kaplan FL-4 today, substituting EK-101 Test 4 for the Kaplan Verbal Section. I got a 14 PS, 10 VR (1 raw point away from an 11!,) and 12 BS = 36. I'm pretty psyched because that's my first 14 on ANY section of any test so far.

I need to concentrate on BS and VR more, since my scores seem to have stagnated at 10/11 on VR and 12 BS.

Good Luck All,

J

that's really good, congrats on the PS score especially, since kaplan's PS sections can be REALLY tough. :thumbup:

i'm taking AAMC 8 this weekend & hoping to break a 31 (my highest so far).

TPR verbal practice test 2: 50/60

Hopefully EK 101s will follow...

I'm a little spooked by my 9 on AAMC 9 so I'm going to take 3 verbal FLs a week for the next two weeks and see if I can't be at a consistent 11 by the week of the 22nd.

Anyone else taking the TPR verbal practice tests also?

Teerawit said:
AAMC 7

PS 14
VR 10
BS 15

PS was an adventure. I felt that section was pretty hard, and throughout it I was feeling uncertain and uncomfortable with my performance since there were some pretty vague questions on there. It turns out I was 1 question from a 15 in that section! That means I could've gotten a 15 if I didn't miss that cell potential problem LOL by carelessness OMGWTFBBQ

VR was a landmine! Full of obscure and vague questions. Please tell me the VR on AAMC 7 was abnormally harder than the real thing :oops:

BS also had its share of vague questions, and I felt I just did ok in that section. This test is unpredictable!

im noticing multiple errors in 7r, at least with my version of the test, specifically number 28 and number 103 (verbal)

nekrogg said:
im noticing multiple errors in 7r, at least with my version of the test, specifically number 28 and number 103 (verbal)

What's wrong with them?

Teerawit said:
What's wrong with them?

I think they may have the TPR solutions for Test 7. I have heard stories of inconsistencies. I'd suggest buying the test on AAMC. Or I may do it in a couple of days, after my dad leaves and will send you guys a pM, cuz I'm going to get new solutions for that since I've heard TPR solutions have some wrong things in it vs. the solutions directly from e-mcat.

EK #9 - 44/60 = 9!!! Worst verbal test to date! Anyone else think some of the Q&A's made no sense even after reading the explanation?

I'm only hoping that TPR and AAMC tests are better representatives as I'm scoring a few points higher pretty consistently (11s on all so far).

I'm going to go over all AAMC test and EKs and writing what when wrong with each missed question.

Boo double boo on verbal. :thumbdown:

44 actually, not 45...

AAMC 8

PS 13
VR 11
BS 13

PS: Harder than AAMC 7.
VR: Wow this one was MUCH easier than AAMC 7!!! I was much more confident about my answers on AAMC 8. However, my main issue with verbal is that I fug up on one of those 10-question passages (which are evidently the hardest passages on the verbal section). I ace one 10-question, bomb the other 10-question set...if I can get both passages, then I would get a 12/13... :luck:

Now I have a question: will the real MCAT VR resemble AAMC 7 or 8 more closely? 7 had really ambiguous and picky questions and answer choices, while 8 was alot more direct.

I'm doing an EK full-length practice test right now. It is gorgeous. It is a little tough but not that kind of complex toughness that Kaplan has nor the unreasonable toughness that TPR has. It is... MCAT tough. I wish they offered more than just three.

Ugly Boy said:
I'm doing an EK full-length practice test right now. It is gorgeous. It is a little tough but not that kind of complex toughness that Kaplan has nor the unreasonable toughness that TPR has. It is... MCAT tough. I wish they offered more than just three.

How are the VR sections on the EK FLs? Are they basically the same feel as from the 101 book?

Teerawit said:
How are the VR sections on the EK FLs? Are they basically the same feel as from the 101 book?

The EK practice tests are great, compared to Kaplan. I had some issues with the Bio. Section on EK-2f, but, overall, they are great.

I've found the verbal to be a little bit more challenging than the tests in the 101 book (esp. EK-1g, where, somehow I got a 7 (my lowest score on any other test was a 9, but I'm mostly scoring in the 10/11 range)) The verbal tests, however, are in the same "style" as the 101 book (i.e. I don't think there are any 10 question passages.)

I'm taking AAMC 7 this Sat. and EK-3g on Mon., so stay tuned for my EK-3g results.

J

Teerawit said:
AAMC 8

PS 13
VR 11

PS: Harder than AAMC 7.
VR: Wow this one was MUCH easier than AAMC 7!!! I was much more confident about my answers on AAMC 8. However, my main issue with verbal is that I fug up on one of those 10-question passages (which are evidently the hardest passages on the verbal section). I ace one 10-question, bomb the other 10-question set...if I can get both passages, then I would get a 12/13... :luck:

Now I have a question: will the real MCAT VR resemble AAMC 7 or 8 more closely? 7 had really ambiguous and picky questions and answer choices, while 8 was alot more direct.

woohoo! we scored the same on physics.. i was 1 question away from a 14, with 4 careless mistakes :(

i need to really boost up my bio and my verbal though (11,9 respectively) :/

jota_jota said:
The EK practice tests are great, compared to Kaplan. I had some issues with the Bio. Section on EK-2f, but, overall, they are great.

I've found the verbal to be a little bit more challenging than the tests in the 101 book (esp. EK-1g, where, somehow I got a 7 (my lowest score on any other test was a 9, but I'm mostly scoring in the 10/11 range)) The verbal tests, however, are in the same "style" as the 101 book (i.e. I don't think there are any 10 question passages.)

I'm taking AAMC 7 this Sat. and EK-3g on Mon., so stay tuned for my EK-3g results.

J

Jota,

Did you need test 9???

nekrogg said:

Did you still need the e-mcat solutions to test 7???