***Official April 2006 MCAT Practice Test and Verbal 101 Test Scores***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
scentimint said:
yea, i think AAMC VR passages are significantly more boring than the EK 101 passages, so it makes sense that it's easier to get through the EK 101 passages. i felt the same way. i've been scoring on average 1 point higher on EK 101 tests than on the AAMC tests, and i think it's mostly b/c of the passages being less interesting and the number of questions varying greatly between passages. i read some good advice about doing the 10 question passages first for AAMC VR sections. i haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense since that's roughly 20% of the VR section right there in those 2 passages.

hope that helps. good luck to ya, slashie :)

I tried doing the 10 question passages first last weekend (AAMC 7.) It didn't significantly change my raw scores on those passages, however :( so I think I'm going to just go back to doing them in order.

It might work for you, though, (it seemed like a good idea to me!)

Jota

I just reached a 43 on my last practice test (AAMC's 4R). I will be 95% satisfied if I can improve by 1 more point between now and next Saturday.

jota_jota said:
I tried doing the 10 question passages first last weekend (AAMC 7.) It didn't significantly change my raw scores on those passages, however :( so I think I'm going to just go back to doing them in order.

It might work for you, though, (it seemed like a good idea to me!)

Jota

I tried multiple strategies with the 10q passages and so far for me the best thing is just going in order :rolleyes: When going in order it seems like I don't even realize I have a 10q passage until im actually on the 3rd or 4th question. Also, I noticed that the 10q passages typically have 2 really easy questions---i.e. Straight Main Idea questions. So, overall, I was super worried about the 10q passages but I think we will be fine:)

Last Diag: AAMC 9:

12P 9V 11B----For me thats realllllly good, and I can only pray that I do that well on test day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrVanNostran said:
I tried multiple strategies with the 10q passages and so far for me the best thing is just going in order :rolleyes: When going in order it seems like I don't even realize I have a 10q passage until im actually on the 3rd or 4th question. Also, I noticed that the 10q passages typically have 2 really easy questions---i.e. Straight Main Idea questions. So, overall, I was super worried about the 10q passages but I think we will be fine:)

Last Diag: AAMC 9:

12P 9V 11B----For me thats realllllly good, and I can only pray that I do that well on test day :)

Congratulations Dr.VanNostran!!! That's a good improvement. I hope you do well the actual test day too. :D

dude, that's awesome!! congrats!! you'll be great.

i just took 9 and scored a 31 (11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS), and i am SO happy with that. :) i was 1 point from a 12 in PS (exactly the same as i was last week), so i'm working to kill that 1 point next week and come out with a 32!! :D

Thanks guys:) I'm actually looking forward to MCAT day (even though my test center is located in the south side of chicago hehe). Scentiment, I'm sure you will get that 12 just keep practicing :)

P.S. I like how the EK 101 passages are interesting while the 16 Mini MCAT verbal passages suck :/ And btw Guju, I'll be in Tampa after I turn in my AMCAS to visit my sister:) YBOR (however you spell it) better be fun.

Today was a good day! I took AAMC 8 today......

AND SCORED THE HIGHEST I HAVE EVER SCORED ON ANY PRACTICE MCAT!!!!!

I thought that I did REALLY BAD, especially on the VR and the BS, but in the end, I got a 14 PS, 11 VR, and 13 BS!!!!! A 38!!!!!!

I would've had a 14 BS except for that dumb passage about the UV reflective lizards (Missed 4/8 of the questions that I missed on the BS section on that passage alone.)

I'm still going to take AAMC 9 on Mon., but I will continue my strategy of chilling and getting lots of sleep every night (and getting to bed at the same time every night) because it seems to be working (maybe.)

Good Luck All -- I hope all your practice tests are going just as well!

Jota

Sounds like everyone is still improving and doing great.

Just finished 7R: 11,11,13 = 35. Really happy I'm still at an 11 verbal and just plan to review a little genchem now.

No more SDN till after, good luck everyone.

Just finished 9
11's across the board with the highest raw score in PS ever (64).

If I make a 33 in 6 days I will be one happy mofo.

Good luck all and study hard.

'Rambler

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone. I am going to leave for the night so if anyone needs any last minute tests or anything you'll have to PM me and wait til the morning.

I took AAMC 9 Today and.....

BAM! Another 38 -- 14PS, 10 VR, and 14 BS. I traded a VR point for a BS point.

I was 1 dumb mistake (on the ribose/deoxyribose/xylose question) away from a 15 on BS!

I'll hope for some easy-to-read VR passages and a BS section that doesn't involve UV reflective lizards (which was the difference between my 13 BS on AAMC 8 and my 14 BS on AAMC 9.) If I get those, I'll be good to go!

I'm about to start my week of brushing up/week of "zen." I'm not sure how much I'm going to stop by SDN this week, so let me just take this opportunity to wish everybody the BEST OF LUCK :luck: this coming Saturday! Good Luck on the MCAT! We are ALL going to kick MCAT Ass!

Good Luck,

Jota

last one

12/13 P
12/13 V
solid 13 B

37-39... exact same as most of my other ones...

Z

3R - 34:12,12,10
4R - 27:9,11,7 (WTF was going on here?)
5R - 31:11,11,9
6R - 35:12,12,11
7R - 34:12,12,10
8 - 34:12,11,11

I seem to be stabilizing, so that's good. No offense, but I will kill myself if I get below a 12 on the actual MCAT VR. I guess I'll take 9 on Wednesday.

AAMC 9:

PS 14
VR 12
BS 15

Fluke??? 'bout time I broke 12 in VR, lol. I'm praying I can get a 12 VR on the real thing :luck: No more practice MCAT exams....I'm going to enter Saturday with this morale boost. :luck:

Teerawit said:
AAMC 9:

PS 14
VR 12
BS 15

Fluke??? 'bout time I broke 12 in VR, lol. I'm praying I can get a 12 VR on the real thing :luck: No more practice MCAT exams....I'm going to enter Saturday with this morale boost. :luck:

GOOD JOB you broke 40! :thumbup: you should give me a few points im in dire need :laugh:

nekrogg said:
GOOD JOB you broke 40! :thumbup: you should give me a few points im in dire need :laugh:

thanks nekrogg....have you decided to take the april MCAT?

Teerawit said:
AAMC 9:

PS 14
VR 12
BS 15

Terrawit, You are an MCAT baller. You are going to get into a great school for sure. That is all.

Teerawit said:
thanks nekrogg....have you decided to take the april MCAT?

yea i have! even though i scored a 29 today on 9, i know exactly what i did wrong and what i need to do on the test. i had a total of 11 careless mistakes bringing down my score by 5 points :eek: i blame it on the very very bad testing environment. if i focus, im pretty sure i can do well :)

limetree6 said:
just trying to overachieve :). jk.
well, like i stated last year that my testing
circumstances were very bad. (school band playing outside. )
besides, more of it has to do with my self satisfaction. (i think this is the biggest factor)

also from observing ppl around me,
improving MCAT scores actually does make a difference.
so why not if there's a chance?

also there are ppl who take the test for just fun (like my old ochem TA )
so i guess ppl all live with different criteria :)

btw. gujudoc, you have a very good memory i would say :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok. Well I wish you luck. Sorry to hear there were issues with the test center last year. That happened to a few friends of mine. Although, nowhere near the level of chaos that occurred for one of the former SDN posters from last August.

ya i agree with the ppl here who suggested doing the passages in order instead of doing the 10q ones first
cuz most of us wont be in the verbal mode immediately after the ps
im very sure (at least this is definitely my case) that i will miss relatively more questions on the first passage,

Last practice test, spread out over the past three days to not burn out, and I am quite happy.

Kaplan Test #2 (from the book of two tests)

PS 71/77 (14)
VR 52/77 (11)
BS 71/77 (14)

coralfangs said:
ya i agree with the ppl here who suggested doing the passages in order instead of doing the 10q ones first
cuz most of us wont be in the verbal mode immediately after the ps
im very sure (at least this is definitely my case) that i will miss relatively more questions on the first passage,

I've actually been doing that too. When I started with the EK series, most of my wrong answers came on the last few passages, but now with the practice tests they are mostly in the beginning.

On 5 hours of sleep and no breakfast, 10PS/11VR (AAMC7) and 11BS (AAMC9). I had to combine the two tests since for some reason they could not find any BS for AAMC7. I would be happy with this for a real score, but I think with more sleep and food I could have pulled a point higher in each section easily. Good luck everyone!

I have stablized at an 8 in VR, with a 9 every now and then :(, hopefully test day will get me the 9.

I took the first EK 101 exam. I got a 4 on it.

I took the AAMC 7 on verbal alone, got a 9 on it. I read the EK passages and it is nothing like the real thing. But everyone is saying supporting things.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions. I am missing around 20 on verbal questions. that is a lot. I don't know what I am doing wrong. tried doing all these suggestions. I finish on time, i have 18 minutes to finish the last passage, basically, around 5-6 minutes left.

can anyone share there success how they went into double digits. Everyone keeps saying practice practice. I have been practicing practicing with aamc practice items and aamc test 1 and 3r-7.

I don't think practice is helping. my first diagnostic verbal mcat was a 3.

I took the first EK 101 exam. I got a 4 on it.

I took the AAMC 7 on verbal alone, got a 9 on it. I read the EK passages and it is nothing like the real thing. But everyone is saying supporting things.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions. I am missing around 20 on verbal questions. that is a lot. I don't know what I am doing wrong. tried doing all these suggestions. I finish on time, i have 18 minutes to finish the last passage, basically, around 5-6 minutes left.

can anyone share there success how they went into double digits. Everyone keeps saying practice practice. I have been practicing practicing with aamc practice items and aamc test 1 and 3r-7.

I don't think practice is helping. my first diagnostic verbal mcat was a 3.
Why do you say EK is so different? I found it pretty close to the real thing.

BTW, why did you resurrect such an old thread?

EK Verbal 101 scores were extremely accurate. I took 10 of their tests. I got my real score 6 times, +1 twice, and -1 twice. All perfectly averaging to my real score. I can vouch that they're an excellent predictor.

The reading material was a little to interesting for MCAT verbal, but the questions were on point. Good luck!

Dear Student Doctor Network users,

Feel free to respond to this. I bought the EK 101 thinking I would get 11 practice verbal exams similar to mcat's. I have been delving into aamc 3-7 so far. So spotting an mcat verbal passage and the type of questions comes second hand after reading the detailed solutions after each exam, etc.

My highest section exam on verbal is currently a 9. My EK 101 came in the mail, i took the first one in Rice library, very quiet, I scored a 4. Here is my take, and I would like to here your honest feelings about EK 101.

EK 101 passages are not story-path oriented like aamc. It is sporadic and random. The passages don't even have a biography, like aamc which makes me wonder where it came from.

I mean how do you go from the real thing, a 9, and on a book so many praise about to a 4. The answer choices are enough to make you confused even more.

You want to improve your verbal, do it the systematic way. Take authentic verbal and go over your mistakes, I have looked over columbia review practice test book and the verbal passages look a lot more

Also EK 101, the passages were too long. Everyone says "PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE" But there is a rule to that. You don't want to practice to a lower score, you're mind is adapting itself to the thinking of the test. B/c EK 101 deviates from it, why do I have to "open up the 'spectrum' of different writers" and on test day whose mcat will i be taking? EK. if I am getting a 4 and I have been increasing with real aamc, SAVE YOUR MONEY. buy columbia review practice tests and authentic aamc tests.

To prove to you the sheer steering away from success in verbal, MCAT says that all the answers are located inside the passage. Do you hear that? That means EK says the answer is not going to be in the passage.

You decide. I bought this book before, practiced and saw the low score, and sold it, i bought it again, to give it a second try. The only way to succeed on verbal is to practice with accurate tests. I don't want your money! I have no gain in telling you this. ALL THE POSTS I READ THAT SAID GET THIS!!! AND I BELIEVED THEM, honesty and trust in them that they would be right. Now I have feel that the credibility posts on the web are not to taken seriously.

I like the EK 101 book when compared to Kaplan. Now those are L O N G passages. My AAMC scores are approx. 1-2 pts higher than EK 101. My scores were for the most part consistent at 9's on EK, then on test 9 ( the passages were easy reads, but the questions owned me) I got a freakin 7 on it. I was moderately pleased with my consistent 9's. Then WHAM no more progress for me.

I did EK 1001 #10 but instead of going through the whole thing i stopped at 40 and scaled my score. I used the www.e-mcat.com scale and found my score the same as the one I got on aamc 8. On AAMC 7 I managed to get an 8 but on recent aamc 8, I received a 6. I am going back to the main idea and tone. My very first verbal score on aamc 3R was a 3. So improvement is there, I just need to find the fixed style and be comfortable enough in thinking to get that minimum 10. It's not easy though.

Has anyone tried doing the EK in "CBT" format out of 40 and found it also representative?

Best regards.

Last practice test, spread out over the past three days to not burn out, and I am quite happy.

Kaplan Test #2 (from the book of two tests)

PS 71/77 (14)
VR 52/77 (11)
BS 71/77 (14)

Kaplan VR is only out of 60.