***Official April 2006 MCAT Practice Test and Verbal 101 Test Scores***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anastasis said:
I have to admit that Tech is by far my last choice in Texas. Having gone to A&M for Ugrad, I just can't bring myself to go to Tech (stupid I know). I really love UTMB's ciriculum and the rural emphasis at A&M makes it appealing. I grew up in a fairly rural area, I would like to stay in Central Texas or Far west Texas, not really a panhandle fan. But really, I'm up for going wherever needs me after I graduate.

You would get to see a winning football team. :laugh:.

I hear much of the same about UTMB and I have a good friend (Aggie) who went to A&M medical school and she loved it. The only crappy part with A&M is having to move for years 3 & 4.

Whereabouts are you from?

'Rambler

WestTexasRambler said:
You would get to see a winning football team. :laugh:.

I hear much of the same about UTMB and I have a good friend (Aggie) who went to A&M medical school and she loved it. The only crappy part with A&M is having to move for years 3 & 4.

Whereabouts are you from?

'Rambler
:p

I love my Ags. I bleed maroon. I would never lower myself by attending a Tech football game (unless they were playing my Ags).

I don't like the idea of having to move to Temple either.

I'm from Kerrville - heard of it?

Anastasis said:
:p

I love my Ags. I bleed maroon. I would never lower myself by attending a Tech football game (unless they were playing my Ags).

I don't like the idea of having to move to Temple either.

I'm from Kerrville - heard of it?

With that attitude I believe you are a Houston Aggie ;).

Anyway, yeah Kerrville Tivy, home of the Fightin' Antlers. Pretty country down there by Ingram, Leakey, etc.

Well, keep us posted on your progression.

Take care,

'Rambler

Members don't see this ad :)
AWhitehair said:
Yeah, definitely don't let them discourage you! I think your mind set during the exams (even practice ones) has a lot to do with how you will score. Just out of curiosity... when did you start practicing for the April Exam again? Did you study through the winter break?

i started studying again in mid january. i really needed some time to distance myself from that august disappointment and get refreshed before i could start studying again.

oxeye said:
I definitely agree with this. :thumbup: My husband is telling me to go for a 40+ ( :laugh: ) but my main goal is just to do as well as I possibly can.

It's all about the mindset...

you can totally do that! :) you've done very well on your practice tests so far.

Straight 12's, EK exams are tough and rumored to be unrepresentative.
Soldiering on....

Zephyrus said:
Straight 12's, EK exams are tough and rumored to be unrepresentative.
Soldiering on....

Taking AAMC5 Sat, Kaplan VII Sun, Kaplan VIII Monday... will keep you posted.

Got AAMC9. Saving it for the weekend before the real thing.

Z

Zephyrus, with your 12-13 EK VR scores, you're bound for a 15 on the real thing :thumbup:

scentimint said:
you can totally do that! :) you've done very well on your practice tests so far.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I think if I actually did do that well, I might die from the shock after opening the envelope in June!

Here's hoping though ....

AAMC 7: 13/11/13(~1 month ago)
AAMC 4R: 12/9/12 (~2 weeks ago)
AAMC 5R: 14/11/13 (this past weekend)

Any thoughts on 7&5 vs. 4? Obviously big difference. I would love to get a 36 (12/11/13)!

OK, I took EK-2f today, and I'm kind of disappointed/mad. I ended up with a 13 PS, 9 VR, and 11 BS, for a total of 33. I guess I should be happy, my net improvement was 2 VR points over the last EK full-length that I took (1g) but I thought that some of the questions in the BS section were just very poorly written. One of the "correct" answers about why a deficiency of Vitamin B12 would cause anemia was that B12 was a coenzyme for an enzyme that synthesized DNA. Erythrocytes don't have DNA! Those of you who have taken EK-2f, what did you think?

Anyways, I still have to look over my verbal answers, but I think I'm going to take a break from test taking until Sat. (When I take AAMC-5R) and do some more review.

Good Luck All,

Jota

Members don't see this ad :)
Lests55 said:
AAMC 7: 13/11/13(~1 month ago)
AAMC 4R: 12/9/12 (~2 weeks ago)
AAMC 5R: 14/11/13 (this past weekend)

Any thoughts on 7&5 vs. 4? Obviously big difference. I would love to get a 36 (12/11/13)!

I don't know what to say, but looks good eitherway. I took 4R & 5R last week and got a 34 and 36 respectively with 11s on both verbal. I doubt 7 and 5 were flukes for you so I wouldn't worry about 5 personally...

i'm determined to get at least one 12 on my practice test this week. though i've had 11s in each category at least once, i think the closest shot i have is in PS. i'm taking AAMC 7R this week. i had 11 in PS on 3R and 6R...both 63/77 questions right.

good luck to everyone! :)

i took my 3rd EK VR 101 test last night. here's the progression:

Test 1: just took separate passages for technique experimentation
Test 2: 43/60 --> 9
Test 3: 45/60 --> 10
Test 4: 46/60 --> 10

my scores are progressing...i definitely felt much more comfortable with test 4 than i did on the first few. although i wish the EK test resembled AAMC's a little more with some passages with 10 questions and others with 4-5.

in other news, i had 2 weird mcat dreams last night. in the first one, the mcat turned into project runway mcat. in the second one, i opened the test book and it was the hugest, most ridiculously impossible sudoku puzzle i've ever seen. interesting.

EK #6: 46/60 = 10

Frustrating, like a few other people here my scores on these are not trending anywhere and range from a 46-51. I can't say why I'm not improving or at least consistent. I've gotten into the 50s on both AAMC 4R and 5R so I'm praying those are better indicators...

Boo on verbal

jota_jota said:
OK, I took EK-2f today, and I'm kind of disappointed/mad. I ended up with a 13 PS, 9 VR, and 11 BS, for a total of 33. I guess I should be happy, my net improvement was 2 VR points over the last EK full-length that I took (1g) but I thought that some of the questions in the BS section were just very poorly written. One of the "correct" answers about why a deficiency of Vitamin B12 would cause anemia was that B12 was a coenzyme for an enzyme that synthesized DNA. Erythrocytes don't have DNA! Those of you who have taken EK-2f, what did you think?

Anyways, I still have to look over my verbal answers, but I think I'm going to take a break from test taking until Sat. (When I take AAMC-5R) and do some more review.

Good Luck All,

Jota

Just a heads up....

I was going over the VR section of EK-2f to see what I got wrong, and I found out that the answer key to the VR section has numerous mistakes, when compared to the "Answers to EK-2f" .PDF file on the Examkrackers Web Site. As a result, my net raw score went up 3 points! :)

...that caused my scaled score to go up by a point to a 10!, making my total score on EK-2f a 34! :)

Good Luck!

J

Im really liking this EK verbal strategy...im actually in a double digit verbal range lol. When I looked at the 10 i turned it upside down and said, "ahh more familiar"

So how is everyone doing?

I am doing well. My verbal is increasing and it is a 9 right now so if i can improve it by one more point it would be a 10 and if i can improve my PS and BS by one point or so i would be 12-10-12, which would be a preety good score and an improvement from my first time I took the test which was 11-6-11.

EK VR 101:
1) 36/60 = 7
2) 43/60 = 9
3) 47/60 = 10
4) 45/60 = 10

... And then today, Princeton Review Test B: 33/60 = 6? WTF? Lowest score ever achieved. The passages didn't even seem hard.

Ugly Boy said:
EK VR 101:
1) 36/60 = 7
2) 43/60 = 9
3) 47/60 = 10
4) 45/60 = 10

... And then today, Princeton Review Test B: 33/60 = 6? WTF? Lowest score ever achieved. The passages didn't even seem hard.

For what its worth I hear TPR A-D tests are very difficult...

DrVanNostran said:
Hey, quick question, if the test is April 22nd, we should get our scores roughly on June 21 right?

Most likely. But they might have it a week before. I think when my friend took it they had it back a few days before the 60 day mark. But its really up in the air. SDN will be crazyt when it gets closer to score release day. So you'll know by the nutso activity on here.

gujuDoc said:
Most likely. But they might have it a week before. I think when my friend took it they had it back a few days before the 60 day mark. But its really up in the air. SDN will be crazyt when it gets closer to score release day. So you'll know by the nutso activity on here.

:laugh: I wonder if SDN will be able to handle the volume. I wish they could give our scores in say 30 days then our writing sample in 60 days :)

Sucks for people who want to apply EDP, a lot depends on this April score...

EK #7: 47/60 = 10. Super frustrating. I finished 8 minutes early, felt good about everything and still ended up missing 4 on a single passage! I keep missing a number of of specific questions that are clearly in the passage but I miss in trying to keep going through quickly (too quickly this time).

My progression (lack thereof) has been: 48, 50, 49, 46, 48, 46, 47 (avg ~47).

How's EK VR 101 treating everyone else?

Lanced said:

well, i've only taken 3 EK 101 VR tests, but i've seen improvement each time. (43-45-46). the last one (test #4), i missed the same number of ?s in the last third as i had in the first 2/3, indicating that with less fatigue, i could improve more. it could also have been that the latte was finally kicking in and i didn't care any more b/c i had to pee. i'm taking test 5 tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

Lanced,

What AAMC exam are y'all taking in class. Have you taken any AAMC's in class or have they all been on your own outside of class?

Thanks,

'Rambler

F' it....

EK7 45/60
EK8 45/60
EK9 45/60

Dropped from a 48/60 on the first couple of tests.

Teerawit said:
F' it....

EK7 45/60
EK8 45/60
EK9 45/60

Dropped from a 48/60 on the first couple of tests.

Hey, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I had an all-time high of like 49-50 for an 11 (I think) and then back down to about a 10 (barely). So are these things supposed to be about the same difficulty as the real deal or a little less?

WestTexasRambler said:
Lanced,

What AAMC exam are y'all taking in class. Have you taken any AAMC's in class or have they all been on your own outside of class?

Thanks,

'Rambler

Rambler,

I took 4R in pieces last week, then sat and took 5R in "normal" conditionins except I skipped the essay. I'm going to take 9 this Saturday proctored, then 7 & 8 the following Saturdays also proctored. I'll probably do 6R in pieces or again skipping the essay sometime in the next two weeks, or maybe I'll leave it for 4-5 days before the real thing?

What about yourself?

Lests55 said:
Hey, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I had an all-time high of like 49-50 for an 11 (I think) and then back down to about a 10 (barely). So are these things supposed to be about the same difficulty as the real deal or a little less?

Well its good to see I'm not the only one experiencing this type of thing... It doesn't really answer your question but I've gotten 4-6 raw points higher on the two AAMC tests I've taken (for 11s on both).

I guess one way to look at it is you're at a solid 10 but may do better.

Kaplan Diagnostic: PS7 VR10 BS8 (Total 25) :(

...month and a half of studying...

1st Kaplan Full-Length: PS11 VR11 BS9 (Total 31) :D

...week of studying...

AAMC 3R (today): PS10 VR13 BS12 (Total 35) :cool:

So, to those who've gone before me, how am I looking for the big leagues on the 22nd? Is the 3r verbal pretty accurate? I've heard the 3r PS is easier, but what about the vr?

-S

41@31 said:
Kaplan Diagnostic: PS7 VR10 BS8 (Total 25) :(

...month and a half of studying...

1st Kaplan Full-Length: PS11 VR11 BS9 (Total 31) :D

...week of studying...

AAMC 3R (today): PS10 VR13 BS12 (Total 35) :cool:

So, to those who've gone before me, how am I looking for the big leagues on the 22nd? Is the 3r verbal pretty accurate? I've heard the 3r PS is easier, but what about the vr?

-S

I thought that the 3R VR and BS sections were on par with other AAMC exams that I have taken so far (I've taken 3R, 4R, and 6R so far,) as well as the EK-101 stuff. IMHO, your score on the 3R verbal is a better indicator of your score than the Kaplan Verbal Sections.

Good Luck,

J

Lanced said:
EK #7: 47/60 = 10. Super frustrating. I finished 8 minutes early, felt good about everything and still ended up missing 4 on a single passage! I keep missing a number of of specific questions that are clearly in the passage but I miss in trying to keep going through quickly (too quickly this time).

My progression (lack thereof) has been: 48, 50, 49, 46, 48, 46, 47 (avg ~47).

VR is not my friend. Last night did number 9 and had a 44/60 (9) on it. I keep feeling more confident with each test, but it's not really reflecting in the scores.

Here's how it's been going so far:

1. 36/60 (7)
2. 42/60 (9)
3. 45/60 (10)
4. 44/60 (9)
5. 52/60 (11)
6. 40/60 (8)
7. 43/60 (9)
8. 48/60 (10)
9. 44/60 (9)

shantster said:
VR is not my friend. Last night did number 9 and had a 44/60 (9) on it. I keep feeling more confident with each test, but it's not really reflecting in the scores.

Here's how it's been going so far:

1. 36/60 (7)
2. 42/60 (9)
3. 45/60 (10)
4. 44/60 (9)
5. 52/60 (11)
6. 40/60 (8)
7. 43/60 (9)
8. 48/60 (10)
9. 44/60 (9)

Any trend in your missed questions? I just went over #7 and notice I miss mostly specific questions, and lots because of semantics. I'll pick the attractor b/c it is generally "true" from the gist of the passage, but not correct b/c of some specific wording...

Have you taken any AAMC verbal tests? I feel like there are fewer questions on there that I think are "bull****" like some of the EK Qs...

Lanced said:
Well its good to see I'm not the only one experiencing this type of thing... It doesn't really answer your question but I've gotten 4-6 raw points higher on the two AAMC tests I've taken (for 11s on both).

I guess one way to look at it is you're at a solid 10 but may do better.

Hey Lance, you're my soulmate! I have taken three AAMC's, I got two 11's (on 5 & 7) and one 9 :eek: (on 4)...so I guess we'll see.

Lanced said:
Any trend in your missed questions? I just went over #7 and notice I miss mostly specific questions, and lots because of semantics. I'll pick the attractor b/c it is generally "true" from the gist of the passage, but not correct b/c of some specific wording...

Have you taken any AAMC verbal tests? I feel like there are fewer questions on there that I think are "bull****" like some of the EK Qs...

Mostly my missed questions occur in groups within a passage. Usually it's about 2 or 3 passages that I miss almost all the questions on. I think that the more I like a passage, the better I am at it.

For AAMC exams, I've been using some really old ones that I had been given (the ones that have 65 VR questions). I've been getting 9s almost consistently, but I'd have to find them in my room to verify that. I have noticed that the questions are slightly different than the ones from EK. EK does have a tendency to use some odd word choices that make it a little more confusing than what the AAMC does.

Quick Questions,

Firstly I hope everyone is doing well and emproving. Secondly, is it me or was AAMC test 7 verbal more difficult than older tests (4R,5R,6R)? For some reason my timing was completely thrown off in Test 7 and it killed my score as I had to attempt the last 3 passages in like 22 minutes.

For those that have taken MCAT(s) before, would you say that the verbal was more like 6 or 7?

Peace and Good Luck

Lests55 said:
Hey Lance, you're my soulmate! I have taken three AAMC's, I got two 11's (on 5 & 7) and one 9 :eek: (on 4)...so I guess we'll see.

why don't u marry him?

Im debating if I should take TPR A-D verbal this week or take the Kaplan ones? I know A-D is supposed to be hard, any thoughts?

Just took the Peterson's MCAT Success Verbal Reasoning test...

I got 55/60, which according to the grade scale provided is a 12...

This made me feel much better about taking the test, as I now KNOW I'll get a 30+ MCAT score...

Kaplan FL3

PS 12
VR 11
BS 13

I was one question from a 13 in PS....and I made like 5 careless mistakes due to the rush of time. Poo.

Here are my kaplan scores. Just finished FL 3:

Diagnostic: :scared: 18 (PS6/VR4/BS8)

:idea: FL1: 22 (PS9/VR6/BS7)

:oops: FL2: 25 (PS8/VR7/BS10)

:D FL3: 31 (PS11/VR10/BS10)

maybe I CAN do this afterall???

Polynikes said:
Just took the Peterson's MCAT Success Verbal Reasoning test...

I got 55/60, which according to the grade scale provided is a 12...

This made me feel much better about taking the test, as I now KNOW I'll get a 30+ MCAT score...

If you get that high in a EK test or AAMC VR portion of the test, then I'd say there's validity. However, ARCO, Petersons, Barrons, and REA do not do a good job at properly conveying the MCAT level of difficulty so don't take too much stock into it.

Took AAMC-5R today. I thought the VR and BS was HARD! But, I managed to pull a 13 PS, 10 VR, and 12 BS for a 35. I made some dumb mistakes and 1 bubbling error on the PS section, but I don't think it cost me the 14.

I probably could've done better on the verbal too, because I had to rush through the last passage and I got like 3/5 of those questions wrong because I rushed through the passage (I had like 5 minutes left to read and do the questions for the passage.)

Anyways, good luck to everyone...

J

Zymogen said:
Here are my kaplan scores. Just finished FL 3:

Diagnostic: :scared: 18 (PS6/VR4/BS8)

:idea: FL1: 22 (PS9/VR6/BS7)

:oops: FL2: 25 (PS8/VR7/BS10)

:D FL3: 31 (PS11/VR10/BS10)

maybe I CAN do this afterall???

Its possible. Don't sweat it. The first diag is always the hardest for people and the 18 is above the average at some test centers. Try taking some AAMC exams and seeing how you do on them. Your score might be a bit higher.

Zymogen said:
Thanks. Which one should I take????

If you could take all of the AAMCs, I'd do it. However, if time is running out, I'd say t ake 6R-9. Those are the most realistic and 7, 8, and 9 are the most current.