****Official April 2006 MCAT Study Group****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPersistent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new SDNer here. I thought it would be nice to have an official chat for the April MCAT people. I for one am starting to study today. Im going to use the TPR review books, Kaplan topican questions, EK question and verbal, and audio osmosis.

Does anyone have any verbal advice? Thanks!!

BTW this will be my fourth time taking it. So people retaking it, dont feel bad. Just look at me, I may be an idiot for taking it a fourth time, but its my dream, I have to give it one more chance...if it doesnt go well, here I come SGU!!!

Let the studying begin!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ylitia said:
Great idea about the group
Started to study about 3 weeks ago thru Kaplan classroom course, have so far amazing teachers that explain way better than my professors, also using some EK on the side :D .

Do you have differen Kaplan teachers teaching different sessions?
I have one for everything and I'm not sure if it's a good idea, I don't think one person could really know it all

Caboose said:
:( Sorry aim - that sucks ostrich eggs. You know what you have to improve on? If it were me, I'd take that outline of what I need and then just pretend the rest was all just a bad dream. That way, the whole thing would only serve to season me on studying.

I'm taking the 5R on Saturday. I'm not ready , blah, blah, blah, but I figure that I can do it once now and then once again in say, March when I forget it all. I'm not into the, "I got a 37, what did you get?" scene, but if this thread ever takes tests together, I think it would be cool to complain and ask questions about specific problems.

Caboose.

I like the idea of discussing things from the practice tests, but I think it could be a good idea to have separate threads for each practice test to discuss them (and maybe link them to here so that we can easily find them even if they get buried under other threads) so that people don't mistakingly read some of the questions before they take that test themselves. I know that I at least would not be able to take the specific test whenever it is proposed in this group since our premed club is doing simulated practice mcats in the spring and I'll be doing those whenever they tell us that we're taking them.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys.

i started my EK books today. slowly but surely, right?

*sigh*.

:) :oops:

Ok, this is the deal, started studying two weeks ago, and took my first practice test ever from the TPR practice test sets they sell in Borders. Shoot , that was hard as hell 3-B 6-VR 3-PS. Man this is hard, I don’t know if you guys who already started are going through something similar , you tell me. I don’t have trouble reading the material, but most of the questions are kind of hard to understand ( I definitely have to read them twice , and sometimes up to 4 times just to understand what they are asking for). As soon as I finished my test, I started going over all of my answers (correct and incorrect) because I knew that a great percentage of the correct ones (more than 50%) were guessed correctly. Dude, it’s like brain rape. Reminds me of when I was learning how to type using some typing software (The typing tutor), what I mean is that, I am learning, but progress is acquired at a slow rate. Every time I read a question I know a little more than I use to, and I also kind of get a feel for the test and the way it wants me to read, solve and answer. I think I need tons more of practice to bring up my score. I can tell that the more I go over the incorrect ones, the more I learn, even more than just reading and doing exercises on the TPR review book I purchased at borders. I also have some flash cards I purchased from KAPLAN; this basic vocabulary knowledge I think will come in handy. I haven’t fully covered the entire flash card set, but I can tell that many words of the ones that I did go over, were on the practice test ( remember these are two different companies TPR test , KAPLAN flash cards). When I read these questions and answers I got on my test, I get excited. This is due to the fact that the ones that I got wrong make me want to know why I got it incorrect and also know why the one I chose is incorrect and why the other choices are incorrect. Nevertheless, I think ill be ok as long as I keep up the work. Well if anyone is going through something similar, drop a couple of lines and let me know, we can motivate each other by knowing were not alone. :eek:

You are never alone. Think of that immediately before you go to bed at night. :scared:

There’s only one way to go at this point. What I hate about getting huge amounts of problems wrong is that it takes me three times as long to correct the test than to take it – that’s a whole lot of humbling. I’m all happy when I get it over with until I realize what I’ll be doing for the next few days. It’s getting a lot better though, so at least it gets quicker – like tearing off a bandaid… that’s attached with superglue.

It’s good your verbal is higher. The science can be picked up easier – at least for me.
I am off to correct my chemistry, which is only slightly better than hanging myself with a piano wire, so I guess I’ll take it.

Caboose

I will be writing for the third time...my story a little different in that I significantly improved my scores to ~32 this summer with no lower than a 10 in each section.

My main problem is VR and after doing the 101 passages...I had averaged a 10 throughout. Come test time, I was confident and relaxed...but my scores were extremely disappointing.
PS-8 VR-6 BS-9

The verbal is what i'm most concerned about but I'm wondering if i'm lacking in strategy and maybe choose an obvious answer...since i do know my sciences cold and am a fairly good reader.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve verbal...

Caboose said:
You are never alone. Think of that immediately before you go to bed at night. :scared:

There’s only one way to go at this point. What I hate about getting huge amounts of problems wrong is that it takes me three times as long to correct the test than to take it – that’s a whole lot of humbling. I’m all happy when I get it over with until I realize what I’ll be doing for the next few days. It’s getting a lot better though, so at least it gets quicker – like tearing off a bandaid… that’s attached with superglue.

It’s good your verbal is higher. The science can be picked up easier – at least for me.
I am off to correct my chemistry, which is only slightly better than hanging myself with a piano wire, so I guess I’ll take it.

Caboose

Hey there Caboose, I know what you mean. It took me about 4 days to go over all the answers I got on my first practice test. I thought I would never finish, and said to my self, “Man, am I doing this correct?, Is this what they mean by practice? But after reading the thread about People who scored 30+, I noticed that most of them went through what we are going through now (practice, practice, and more practice) I think that practice is an excellent way of going about studying for this test, be it that part of this test depends a great deal on skill, and skill only gets better with practice. I also think that the more I read my review book the more I remember form my pre-requisite classes. Dude, I look like a nut reading my flash cards everywhere I go. Some people think I am reading some sort of recipe book or something, o well. Anyways, on the other hand I am planning on taking a second practice test this up coming Saturday, I think I should do a little better then what I did on my last test. Last but not least, dude, I am so hyped up , I am like hooked on the MCAT, its like a freeken drug to me. I can’t get enough of it. Reminds me of when I first discovered the internet, I would get on for hours at a time, till I would laterally have nothing else to look for, then I would take a break for about an hour or two, and BAM… I was thinking once again about it. I am still taking Orgo 2 and Physics 2 almost done with this semester, but what’s funny is that sometimes when I am trying to study for my classes , I suddenly start thinking about , how I can use this on the MCAT , and little after I am opening my review books once again. Well that’s, that , if you have any tips on how I should go about getting this 101 verbal reasoning from Examkrackers, let me know, I don’t have much funds , but I can put in an extra hour or two at the lab I work in, this way Ill have enough cash to purchase this book. Ok dude, later.

Hey S, Haha, when I see people looking over at my flashcards suspicioiusly, I like to whip out the NMR graphs. I'm working on my Joker laugh to add to the affect. Eyes widen indeed.

The $25 for the Verbal is definitely worth it. Not sure about the quickest way to get your hands on it, but you might want to hop to since premeds worldwide are going to stampede soon. I always just compare it to the thousands of dollars I'll spend in the application/interview process, then in medical school. Suddenly, I accept my doom of debt and move on with what matters interest wise.

It is addicting! I feel it and part of me says, "Ah ...., what are you going to feel like around April 20th?" Cool that you're in the groove for the Beast. I go through hills and valleys. You know it's bad when you look at your study habits and creative spurts as sin functions.

In other news, I just found something that helps me without having to do anything extra. I alternate sections. I used to go through each subject by chapter, but I'm practicing switching gears. My stick shift consists of a section of ochem, section physics, section bio and so on. While the chapters are left hanging, it helps me practice going to something entirely different and not losing focus. I also have to come back to the section in the lower gears and still remember what the heck it was all about. It's working for me - thought I'd have a little show-and-tell that might benefit you.

Caboose.

Hey, I woke up at 10 this morning and started studying and now its about 1030 at night--all in all I would say I spent maybe 8 of the 12 hours actively studying with breaks to eat, check email and watch re-run of Grey's anatomy. Working on Physics-magnetism. Tomorrow is sound, light, waves and optics. Any hints or suggestions to the Right Hand rule and currents. :thumbup:

DrPersistent said:
Hey everyone, new SDNer here. I thought it would be nice to have an official chat for the April MCAT people. I for one am starting to study today. Im going to use the TPR review books, Kaplan topican questions, EK question and verbal, and audio osmosis.

Does anyone have any verbal advice? Thanks!!

BTW this will be my fourth time taking it. So people retaking it, dont feel bad. Just look at me, I may be an idiot for taking it a fourth time, but its my dream, I have to give it one more chance...if it doesnt go well, here I come SGU!!!

Let the studying begin!!!

Guatasmiles said:
Hey, I woke up at 10 this morning and started studying and now its about 1030 at night--all in all I would say I spent maybe 8 of the 12 hours actively studying with breaks to eat, check email and watch re-run of Grey's anatomy. Working on Physics-magnetism. Tomorrow is sound, light, waves and optics. Any hints or suggestions to the Right Hand rule and currents. :thumbup:
Pick which version of the right hand rule you are using and stick with it.

Guatasmiles said:

Well done!! I love those days.
I got nothin' on the right hand rule - not there yet. BUT if you ever forget which is your left hand, you can just know that it's the one that makes an "L." Very strange that when people show me an "L" on their forehead, it's with their right hand! Brett is right, just stick to one perspective.

Caboose.

I have your study schedule wich I think is great. I have the kaplan tests; topicals and all the others. the only thing I dont like is the fact that kaplan you cant really check if you are understanding the material unless you correlated with a test or set of questions and answers. how can I correlate your study schedule with my kaplan test of topical, physics, supplementals,etc???? please let me know...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I don't have the topicals I can't really say....I would guess that you could do your best to match up the content in the chapter with the proper topical. EK 1001 books might be another option.

How are the topicals divided?

PM me, I am anxious to know how it is working out as I haven't started the plan yet.

BrettBatchelor said:
Since I don't have the topicals I can't really say....I would guess that you could do your best to match up the content in the chapter with the proper topical. EK 1001 books might be another option.

How are the topicals divided?

PM me, I am anxious to know how it is working out as I haven't started the plan yet.

Hey Brett - You taking the Kaplan course or just working from the book?
Caboose.

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I will be writing for the third time...my story a little different in that I significantly improved my scores to ~32 this summer with no lower than a 10 in each section.

My main problem is VR and after doing the 101 passages...I had averaged a 10 throughout. Come test time, I was confident and relaxed...but my scores were extremely disappointing.
PS-8 VR-6 BS-9

The verbal is what i'm most concerned about but I'm wondering if i'm lacking in strategy and maybe choose an obvious answer...since i do know my sciences cold and am a fairly good reader.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve verbal...

I hav the same issue that my verbal score wasn't too great. Last time I didn't have a plan. This time, I'm going to practice practice practice until I can do well in verbal. The problem is finding material to practice on -- as I've finished EK101 and AAMC tests. I'd think that Kaplan and PR provide material if you take their course.

Caboose said:
Hey Brett - You taking the Kaplan course or just working from the book?
Caboose.
I thought I posted a link to the book with the schedule? It follows the big kaplan bible you get at B &N.

I will be using the book this spring and probably take the full course in the summer for the practice materials. I don't think I need a great deal of content review just a lot of timed practice tests and strategy.

I'll probably alter it slightly over Christmas adding in the AAMC tests and EK 101 Verbal to the mix. I'll post an updated one when I get around to it.

BrettBatchelor said:
I thought I posted a link to the book with the schedule? It follows the big kaplan bible you get at B &N.

I will be using the book this spring and probably take the full course in the summer for the practice materials. I don't think I need a great deal of content review just a lot of timed practice tests and strategy.

I'll probably alter it slightly over Christmas adding in the AAMC tests and EK 101 Verbal to the mix. I'll post an updated one when I get around to it.

Yup - still on my site. I forgot you were an August taker. Plenty of time for strategy and the course.
Caboose.

Time is going by so fast and I just find myself more and more preoccupied with my school work and having less and less time for MCAT. I don't even have time to finish required Homework for Kaplan course I'm taking. :(

I really want to take the MCAT in April. Yet, I will also have a full course load in the spring semester.

Anyone in the same situation?

Any time management and other advice on how to study for MCAT at the same time as trying to do good with all the courses?

thanks

anut04ka said:
Time is going by so fast and I just find myself more and more preoccupied with my school work and having less and less time for MCAT. I don't even have time to finish required Homework for Kaplan course I'm taking. :(

I really want to take the MCAT in April. Yet, I will also have a full course load in the spring semester.

Anyone in the same situation?

Any time management and other advice on how to study for MCAT at the same time as trying to do good with all the courses?

thanks

I head to campus about 1 1/2 hrs before I have my class and do a chapter out of an EK book and the lecture test. I also listen to audio osmosis in my car on the way there. It works for me at least. I usually tackle studying first thing in the morning because it gets it out of the way and I'm not tempted at the end of the day to skip it (I got this idea from how I schedule Bible study time - get up early and get it done before I start the day). If you're not a morning person, I don't recommend this. I'm kinda not a morning person and it's damn hard some mornings to get up.

Anastasis said:
I head to campus about 1 1/2 hrs before I have my class and do a chapter out of an EK book and the lecture test. I also listen to audio osmosis in my car on the way there. It works for me at least. I usually tackle studying first thing in the morning because it gets it out of the way and I'm not tempted at the end of the day to skip it (I got this idea from how I schedule Bible study time - get up early and get it done before I start the day). If you're not a morning person, I don't recommend this. I'm kinda not a morning person and it's damn hard some mornings to get up.

you do a chapter of ek in 1 1/2 hours!!!!! :confused: + problems. I must have a serious problem with my learning because it takes me about 7 hours just to read the info in the chapter 3 times and about 2hrs to do ek bio 1001 + 1/2 hour tests. please help!!!! how do you do it!!! I need to listen to audio osmosis like 5 times to fully understand the chapter. :idea:

cabrillo said:
you do a chapter of ek in 1 1/2 hours!!!!! :confused: + problems. I must have a serious problem with my learning because it takes me about 7 hours just to read the info in the chapter 3 times and about 2hrs to do ek bio 1001 + 1/2 hour tests. please help!!!! how do you do it!!! I need to listen to audio osmosis like 5 times to fully understand the chapter. :idea:

Yeah, that disturbed me as well. It takes me about the same amount of time to finish a chapter. Evidently, I have forgotten the material entirely - you?

I don't listen to AO that many times though. If you're using it that much, I hope you're checking the error page online to make sure your not drilling something wrong into your head, (drilling into one's noggin must be done with care to avoid CSF spurting all over the place). They aren't big errors, not something I worry about much 'cause I only listen once or twice, but I'm aware of their little slip ups, (ex. switching adhesive/cohesive forces once in a lecture).

Taking forever. Wish I could download it into my skull.

Caboose.

Caboose said:
Yeah, that disturbed me as well. It takes me about the same amount of time to finish a chapter. Evidently, I have forgotten the material entirely - you?

I don't listen to AO that many times though. If you're using it that much, I hope you're checking the error page online to make sure your not drilling something wrong into your head, (drilling into one's noggin must be done with care to avoid CSF spurting all over the place). They aren't big errors, not something I worry about much 'cause I only listen once or twice, but I'm aware of their little slip ups, (ex. switching adhesive/cohesive forces once in a lecture).

Taking forever. Wish I could download it into my skull.

Caboose.

Thank God I am not alone!!!!! I listened to AO that many times because I drive a lot. Actually I have two jobs right now so there are four different trips I take everyday back and forth ; so I tend to listen to the lectures while driving so I listen to them about 3-5 times each lecture. I like to keep listening to the chapter that I am studying until I am done with with all problems and tests( everything). but yeah it is taking forever :smuggrin:

cabrillo said:

Read through the chapter w/ chapter questions = 1 hr
Lecture exam = 30 minutes
Maybe an extra 10 to check the problems and understand what I did wrong. Then I listen to AO in the car which I wasn't counting - I haven't started doing 1001 yet. I want all the info through once before I start those. I also make flashcards of the concepts and drill the rest of the day when I get a chance. Wish I could help you more than that! I only read the chapters once, generally reading through once helps me remember the first time I learned it.

Anastasis said:
Read through the chapter w/ chapter questions = 1 hr
Lecture exam = 30 minutes
Maybe an extra 10 to check the problems and understand what I did wrong. Then I listen to AO in the car which I wasn't counting - I haven't started doing 1001 yet. I want all the info through once before I start those. I also make flashcards of the concepts and drill the rest of the day when I get a chance. Wish I could help you more than that! I only read the chapters once, generally reading through once helps me remember the first time I learned it.

You're an animal!
;)
Caboose.

does the MCAT require you to know a lot of vocabulary (wordsmart)?

THanks

EVIL06 said:
does the MCAT require you to know a lot of vocabulary (wordsmart)?

THanks
There isn't an analogy section or anything like that.
There is an occasional "what word best describes the feelings of the author?" which a good vocab would come in handy.

Blueberry84 said:
I hav the same issue that my verbal score wasn't too great. Last time I didn't have a plan. This time, I'm going to practice practice practice until I can do well in verbal. The problem is finding material to practice on -- as I've finished EK101 and AAMC tests. I'd think that Kaplan and PR provide material if you take their course.

I just found this out....

When you write AAMC tests on your own and get 15 wrong on verbal, based on the scale, that's usually around a 10 (scaled score).

BUT...the REAL MCAT scales 15 incorrect to a scaled score of 6. This is EXACTLY what i got on the mcat this year...

Does anyone know if that scaling/curving deal that harsh?

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

When you write AAMC tests on your own and get 15 wrong on verbal, based on the scale, that's usually around a 10 (scaled score).

BUT...the REAL MCAT scales 15 incorrect to a scaled score of 6. This is EXACTLY what i got on the mcat this year...

lies, all lies.

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

That is probably a lie, since no one is given inside information as to how many questions they count towards equating to a scaled score and since you are scored based on how others do and have done in past years. Those AAMC tests are as accurate of a prediction of your range as you'll get in most instances.

gujuDoc said:
That is probably a lie, since no one is given inside information as to how many questions they count towards equating to a scaled score and since you are scored based on how others do and have done in past years. Those AAMC tests are as accurate of a prediction of your range as you'll get in most instances.

I posted this only because i bought some stuff from gold standard and some of the verbal online practice (written by brett ferdinand) and was surprised when they quoted this....

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I posted this only because i bought some stuff from gold standard and some of the verbal online practice (written by brett ferdinand) and was surprised when they quoted this....

Yes, they are probably scamming people with those lies. Honestly, no one is given inside information like that. A lot of times, it may say you can get only one wrong to get a 14 on a given section in the AAMC scaled scores for the practice tests, but that is far from the truth for the actual deal because they are comparing you against other current and past test takers and adjusting accordingly to how people did on various forms as well.

15 wrong = Verbal 6?? That doesn't sound right at all. I think the tables on the back of the AAMC tests are pretty good indicators of what scores you can get based on how many questions you get correct.

mintendo said:
15 wrong = Verbal 6?? That doesn't sound right at all. I think the tables on the back of the AAMC tests are pretty good indicators of what scores you can get based on how many questions you get correct.

I know these tables off the back of my hand after writing tons of tests this summer. BUT, i'm just questioning the curve that aamc does on top of that...when they curve relative within each test form against all other students that write that test form....

Its ok...no replies necessary...we wont know what they dont tell us! :laugh:

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I know these tables off the back of my hand after writing tons of tests this summer. BUT, i'm just questioning the curve that aamc does on top of that...when they curve relative within each test form against all other students that write that test form....

Its ok...no replies necessary...we wont know what they dont tell us! :laugh:

Please read the AAMC website again. They donot only score you against those with your score. They score you against ALL test takers, regardless of form and THEN adjust based on difficulty of the test form. So it is a complete not partial standardization.

Just bumping this one up. Anyone else planning to be spending a lot of time over break going through this stuff?

I'm just posting to pre-empt my forthcoming post regarding my experiences with AAMC 3R as a diagnostic. Look forward to it ;).

BrettBatchelor said:
Interesting verbal comments.
Usually the Confucious passage is the killer on 3R.

Yeah, that one wasn't entirely too bad to figure out, just obnoxious beyond belief. It's a shame more of the passages aren't well written and interesting. I have a feeling that I'm going to be seeing a lot of fragmented Harper's rejects from August, 1985 from now until April.

I'm interested to know how everyone else felt about 3R, in terms of how it compares to other tests. I can't quite shake the feeling that there was something wrong with it. Perhaps it's that I feel that there's no way that those scaled scores (missing 20 still gets you an 8 on PS?) are accurate.

Just started studying my kaplan course materials. Just finished chapter 3 of the Physical Science Review notes. I sure do miss gen chem. Anyone else right with me? :horns:

-RR

Rocky Racoon said:
Just started studying my kaplan course materials. Just finished chapter 3 of the Physical Science Review notes. I sure do miss gen chem. Anyone else right with me? :horns:

-RR

Word.

DougFlutie said:
I'm interested to know how everyone else felt about 3R, in terms of how it compares to other tests. I can't quite shake the feeling that there was something wrong with it. Perhaps it's that I feel that there's no way that those scaled scores (missing 20 still gets you an 8 on PS?) are accurate.

I think the 3R's verbal section is easier than the more recent practice tests. EK material is harder. I think the real MCAT's VR will be harder.

PS and BS are about the same as other practice tests, I guess.

hey everyone! i just finished taking a practice test (the last time i took one was my kaplan diagnostic back in october) and i thought i was going to completely bomb it....I have not studied as much as i planned etc but I got 9PS/12BS/15VR (36 composite).

I am taking the MCAT without taking Physics and Organic Chem (the last time I took them was in high school) and have not fully reviewed those areas yet so it is really nice to see that my score has improved...especially since I have had several doubts regarding if I am ready for April's MCAT or not. Hopefully, my score is consistant and only increases from this point onwards....well, fingers crossed anyways!

Good luck everyone! Happy holidays.

This is a good idea as for the study group. If we could chat when necessary, that would be perfect also. If anyone is interested, reply back; we could just add each other up.