****Official April 2006 MCAT Study Group****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPersistent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new SDNer here. I thought it would be nice to have an official chat for the April MCAT people. I for one am starting to study today. Im going to use the TPR review books, Kaplan topican questions, EK question and verbal, and audio osmosis.

Does anyone have any verbal advice? Thanks!!

BTW this will be my fourth time taking it. So people retaking it, dont feel bad. Just look at me, I may be an idiot for taking it a fourth time, but its my dream, I have to give it one more chance...if it doesnt go well, here I come SGU!!!

Let the studying begin!!!

Members don't see this ad.

serencavalier said:
Where are you guys getting your practice tests from? ebay or AAMC website?

I'm getting mine from AAMC. Check with your pre-med club if you have one and see if you can get them to partially pay for the tests if they get a group of people together that will want to buy the practice tests as well.

shantster said:
I'm getting mine from AAMC. Check with your pre-med club if you have one and see if you can get them to partially pay for the tests if they get a group of people together that will want to buy the practice tests as well.

It would be illegal to purchase it as a group purchase. Hence, the school will not do such a thing.

gujuDoc said:
It would be illegal to purchase it as a group purchase. Hence, the school will not do such a thing.

What we are doing is having the pre-med club buy practice exams per person, but the school is subsidizing part of it. From what I heard, they got enough money for it to be $20 per test per person rather than $40. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
shantster said:
What we are doing is having the pre-med club buy practice exams per person, but the school is subsidizing part of it. From what I heard, they got enough money for it to be $20 per test per person rather than $40. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Oh ok. I don't know how that works but I think that could get expensive for the school. So most schools might not go for such a thing.

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. I don't know how that works but I think that could get expensive for the school. So most schools might not go for such a thing.

I go to a smaller school so I think that there's only about 30 of us juniors that would be taking the test, and so if you take out all the people that are taking a prep course, it isn't that much for the school to do. Either way, it's worth a shot to talk to the pre-med club and see if they can solicit money for it. The thing that I'm most excited about though, is that we are setting it up so that we all take the practice tests in a simulated setting on Saturdays.

I'm looking to start a small-study group in the Boston area for the '06 April MCAT. From what I've read, having a study buddy or group is the best way to prepare for this exam. I have all of the EK edition five books and the EK verbal book. I also have Kaplan's 05-06 comprehensive review book. Let me know if you're interested.

Hello everyone!

I'm taking my first practice test tommorrow. I finally worked up the guts to do it. Won't be a proper diagnostic because I have studied a bit beforehand. Anyone else get totally nervous before they took a diagnostic? I figure this is a bad sign.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Okay so I just finished my first practice exam. Is 3r easier than other versions? Because let's just say I got a score way above my expectations.

I got a 12 PS - 11 V - 12 BS at least acording to the chart I found.
(PS raw was 67/77, V was 50/60 and BS was 66/77) I was honestly expecting like a 24 or so. Not that I'm upset or anything, just more than a bit wary of a score like that.

(Funny thing, you know the Confucius passage on Verbal. I think I've read that book!)

Anastasis said:
Okay so I just finished my first practice exam. Is 3r easier than other versions? Because let's just say I got a score way above my expectations.

I got a 12 PS - 11 V - 12 BS at least acording to the chart I found.
(PS raw was 67/77, V was 50/60 and BS was 66/77) I was honestly expecting like a 24 or so. Not that I'm upset or anything, just more than a bit wary of a score like that.

(Funny thing, you know the Confucius passage on Verbal. I think I've read that book!)

Hmmmm 3R generally gives most people higher then usual. However, if you consistently do equally well on the remainder of the AAMC exams and other practice exams then it should be a good indicator.

By any chance is this your first or second time taking the MCAT??? If it is your second time taking it have you used 3R before, because if you've taken 3R before it might be due to remembering answers to questions etc.

At any rate, it isn't a bad score to start out with, but review what you got wrong and your strengths and weaknesses and review the ones you got right as well so that you know if you really know the material.

gujuDoc said:
Hmmmm 3R generally gives most people higher then usual. However, if you consistently do equally well on the remainder of the AAMC exams and other practice exams then it should be a good indicator.

By any chance is this your first or second time taking the MCAT??? If it is your second time taking it have you used 3R before, because if you've taken 3R before it might be due to remembering answers to questions etc.

At any rate, it isn't a bad score to start out with, but review what you got wrong and your strengths and weaknesses and review the ones you got right as well so that you know if you really know the material.

No, it's my first time. Good to know it should be alittle high, keeps me from being over confident. I was surprised at how many of the questions I could get simply by logic.

Anastasis said:

I honestly think that 3R overall is on par. The sciences seem accurate to me. Verbal seems a tad easier. (this is compared to more recent AAMC tests)

Anastasis said:
I was surprised at how many of the questions I could get simply by logic.

I think that's just the way the MCAT is. Since you're good at critical thinking, you'll do great :)

Anastasis said:
No, it's my first time. Good to know it should be alittle high, keeps me from being over confident. I was surprised at how many of the questions I could get simply by logic.

While 3R is a little easier then the rest, the general idea about logic being needed and critical thinking being needed is on par. You need to be able to do more then memorize info. But rather you need to understand it well and be able to manipulate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
While 3R is a little easier then the rest, the general idea about logic being needed and critical thinking being needed is on par. You need to be able to do more then memorize info. But rather you need to understand it well and be able to manipulate it.

good points gugu! I am a little confused as to when start using the AAMC test. I have many other practice tests from Kaplan and TPR. I am following EKs 10 week schedule but my way ( check my blog :cool: ). I just dont know when to actually start using the "real tests" and incorporate them in my schedule. it seems to me that it would be a waste to use them early since I dont remember jack from physics and o chem. :(

cabrillo said:
good points gugu! I am a little confused as to when start using the AAMC test. I have many other practice tests from Kaplan and TPR. I am following EKs 10 week schedule but my way ( check my blog :cool: ). I just dont know when to actually start using the "real tests" and incorporate them in my schedule. it seems to me that it would be a waste to use them early since I dont remember jack from physics and o chem. :(

Just one minor point.....my name is guJu not guGu. Thanks bunch.

Has anyone started using EK 1001 Bio yet? I found some of the intro questions REALLY hard. I haven't finished intro bio yet which might have something to do with it. Conceptually they weren't hard; they just required you know enzymes I haven't heard of and aren't in the EK chapter (that I saw).

Anastasis said:
Has anyone started using EK 1001 Bio yet? I found some of the intro questions REALLY hard. I haven't finished intro bio yet which might have something to do with it. Conceptually they weren't hard; they just required you know enzymes I haven't heard of and aren't in the EK chapter (that I saw).
I placed my order for it today. Let's hope it comes soon.

I just did the first test in the EK Verbal 101's and did NOT perform as well as I thought I would. This is my second time taking the exam and am aiming for at least a 10 in this section. Will someone please give me some encouraging words regarding my score??? I think it came to a 6!! Ick!

BiteSize said:
I just did the first test in the EK Verbal 101's and did NOT perform as well as I thought I would. This is my second time taking the exam and am aiming for at least a 10 in this section. Will someone please give me some encouraging words regarding my score??? I think it came to a 6!! Ick!

Keep practicing. Are you using their methods for the verbal section? I went from a 6 to start to a 9 in just three tests so you should improve with practice.