adiddas125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
Hey Guys,

The more and more I think about it, I have been considering the August MCAT. I took a diagnostic exam through TPR (4921) and I saw that my score stayed the same on all sections but I went down on PS. That solidified my decision that I am really considering taking the August MCAT. Also my verbal reasoning is still 6''s-8's. Anyone considering taking August? I have talked with my pre-med adviser and he said that it would be best to take it only once, since schools frown upon multiple tests with no significant improvment and some schools average your scores!!! :eek: Maybe I am panicking for no reason but I think this is the best decision. I have been preparing for april and will continue to do so, but I am 95% sure that I am going to take August now. Do any of you feel the same way?

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
yeah adiddas i'm feelin ya on that one. i took some practices yesterday and dropped wayyy low, even lower than my diagnostic which was in sept! but, i'm considering that an aberration, i wasn't really concentrating, etc. i'd say kick it into high gear - i'm studying like 10 hours a day during spring break, and see what happens after that. if it's still bad in your early april practice exams, then push it off. but for now, study like there's no tomorrow...

adiddas125 said:
Hey Guys,

The more and more I think about it, I have been considering the August MCAT. I took a diagnostic exam through TPR (4921) and I saw that my score stayed the same on all sections but I went down on PS. That solidified my decision that I am really considering taking the August MCAT. Also my verbal reasoning is still 6''s-8's. Anyone considering taking August? I have talked with my pre-med adviser and he said that it would be best to take it only once, since schools frown upon multiple tests with no significant improvment and some schools average your scores!!! :eek: Maybe I am panicking for no reason but I think this is the best decision. I have been preparing for april and will continue to do so, but I am 95% sure that I am going to take August now. Do any of you feel the same way?

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
AHHH!!! delete this post!! your tempting me

MoonShiNe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Status
nishi said:
AHHH!!! delete this post!! your tempting me
hahahaha, Yeah i know~
I will see what happens after I do my best until the april..
depends on my verbal.. :mad:

Akshay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I chose to do that beginning of this month because I just wasnt feeling ready for it i suppose....I'ma kick back till May, graduate and get back on track till August.....anywayzzzz g luck to ya'll april guys....

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Status
I think this is why it is easier to get a better score in April than in August.. same test, but many people who originally were to take the April test decided to wait until Aug to take it and it can be more competitive..

OrGoMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Status
I really don't know what to do. I'm studying about 12 hours a day. I'm registered for april, and also considering going for the august sitting, do you think we would be at a significant disadvantage? I dunno, i figure for BS, iam reasonably ready, verbal i can't change anymore, and PS there are about 2 pretty broad topics that iam not fully confident with, and will hope they won't show on on my version, if i decide to take in april. I figure there should be a good curve for the exam, so we can get like 25 wrong, and still get a 10, on PS at least.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
just a thought - but i took the mcat last august, and there were a handful of practice tests that really threw me. one AAMC where i scored a 6 on PS, and one kaplan where i only finished about half the PS in time - still not sure quite why - could have been the specific content in the exams, could have been my mindset going into those practice tests... so should you have one or two lower scores, don't panic - just keep studying and figure out your trends. moral? i ended up with 10 in PS on the real thing. not too shabby. good luck! get it overwith! :thumbup:

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
at this point, your guide to deciding whether to postpone should be your full-length scores esp. AAMC tests, not how nervous you are feeling. If you are still more than 10 points under your target score, you have a lot of work to do.

OP
adiddas125

adiddas125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
My target score is 37+ and I seem to be scoring in the mid 20's as of right now. Mid 20s to high twenties. I just dont want to end up with a mid to high 20 on the real deal and have to take it over again. :( I have to make up for my freshman year grades and prove that I do understand my sciences and that I can read for comprehension and understanding the touchy feely stuff. :laugh:

The big part about this exam is, you only want to take it once. That is the resonating message from all the admissions comittees and premed advisers out there. Just my 2 cents on the matter. :rolleyes:

DrMojorisin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
I think 37+ is a little high to set a target score.

I'd think it would be more time effective to improve your application with better ECs than chasing a 37.

If you look at the score change charts on AAMC website, you'll see that over time, your score is unlikely to vary significantly, regardless of preparation.

On the other hand, you severely reduce your chances of acceptance in a rolling admissions program by waiting until august to get your scores.

I think 5 weeks is enough time for most folks to review all the basic material and take a couple AAMC full lengths. Which should be enough for 30+. All the material you review starting now will be fresh on april 16.

Unless you just are pinned against the wall on your schedule, there is no need to panic. If you can do just 3 hour days from here till apr. 16, you should be fine