Official August 22, 2009 PCAT Scores (Post Here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vultron

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi August 2008 Pcat Examiners.
Please Post your Scores in this Format.
You Can Copy and Paste the Format and Put in your actual Scores.
You can say how you feel about the Pcat and the Experience.
Thanks!!! Goodluck!!!

Multiple-Choice Scores
Scaled Score/Percentile Rank

Verbal Ability xxx/xx
Biology xxx/xx
Reading Comprehension xxx/xx
Quantitative Ability xxx/xx
Chemistry xxx/xx
Composite xxx/xx

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language x.x
Problem Solving x.x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Multiple-Choice Scores

Verbal Ability 412/68
Biology 430/88
Reading Comprehension 423/80
Quantitative Ability 412*62
Chemistry 411/62
Composite 418/77

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3
Problem Solving 3

better than I thought. I did well on Bio and reading, chem and math were hard. Can I ask...what do schools look take if you take the pcat more than once? Do they average them or take the highest?

Category Scaled Percentile
Verbal......436.......92
Biology.....418.......76
Read Com..427.......84
Math........418........71
Chem........411........62
Composite..422........83

I know my chem and math scores are relatively weak. thats why i think im retaking. but im pretty happy with the 83 composite. im really gonna focus on chem next time.

what do you guys think. am i competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple-Choice Scores

Verbal Ability 461/99
Biology 447/96
Reading Comprehension 444/95
Quantitative Ability 421/75
Chemistry 421/76
Composite 439/96

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 2.5

Overall, much better than I expected. I knew Math and Chem were going to be my weak areas, but I did better than I anticipated. The verbal and reading were not surprising, that's what I'm best at. Pissed at my writing score, but I didn't have a clue for the problem solving essay topic, so I can't complain. I hope I'm competitive for U of MN.

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 92
Chem 67
Quant 27
Comp 88

Writing 3/3

I'm retaking in Oct. and need a 50-60 in math
Anyone have any tips on improving ? What would be a good study book?
I don't have a very strong math background. I took precalc/calc about 4 years ago and got B- in both...

Verbal Ability xxx/99
Biology xxx/76
Reading Comprehension xxx/75
Quantitative Ability xxx/57
Chemistry xxx/86
Composite xxx/94

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3

i think it's good enough? either way, i refuse to retake it.

Since the PCAT is copyrighted, I'm pretty sure no one is supposed to share essay topics from it online. Just to remind people, in case they were thinking of answering...

You can probably get an idea of the essay topics either by looking at a review book (like Cliff's 5 test book) or doing the online Harcourt practice tests.

1. can anyone tell me what SCALED SCORE and PERCENTILE RANK represents?
How do they grade it?
2. what is NORM group; how do I know which group I belong to? Is it national percentile?
3. Also is there penaltyfor guessing? Should I guess?
thankx

Last edited:
1. can anyone tell me what SCALED SCORE and PERCENTILE RANK represents?
How do they grade it?
2. what is NORM group; how do I know which group I belong to? Is it national percentile?
3. Also is there penaltyfor guessing? Should I guess?
thankx

1. I'm still not quite sure how scaled score is calculated, but it's calculated from the original 40 questions. Percentile rank is the % of people you did better than (i.e. percentile rank of 50% means you did better than 50% of the test takers or you're in the top 50%)

2. The norm group (I think) is the group that you are graded against. It's a random group of examinees b/w the years 03-05 (or something like that). So if you get percentile rank of 50% you did better than 50% of the people from the norm group (not the people you took the test with).

3. No penalty for guessing. Never leave an unfilled bubble!!

I'm not sure if I got everything correct. It's a good idea to look at the Candidate Information Booklet on the PCAT website.

Verbal Ability 427/86
Biology 412/68
Reading Comprehension 434/90
Quantitative Ability 399/39
Chemistry 404/52
Composite 415/73

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3

Obviously I need to do better on quant. and chem. but I'm really disappointed I didn't do good on Bio considering I am a Bio major. Anyone know any good review for quant. and chem (Kaplan sucked for quant)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal : 80
Reading: 62 :-( ( I missed a whole passage)
Biology: 88
Chemistry: 95 ( I expected a 99th :-( )
Quantitative Ability: 99 ( YAY YAY, my dad's really proud of me since he's a math professor)

Composite: 95th percentile ( Mixed feelings, I could have a done better in Reading )

Writing Score: 3 and 3

Cumulative GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.7 ( A's in Organic1, Organic 2, Physics 1, Physics 2 and Inorganic Chemistry 1 and 2)
Applying to :

Lecom Erie
South University
Saint John Fisher

Good Luck everyone !!!

Verbal Ability: 65%
Biology : 68%
Reading : 40%
Math : 97%
Chem : 99%

Writing : 2 / 2.5

I am at ease with my verbal and biology scores b/c I knew they were my weak points, and I really saw no way of preparing them b/c they cover such a wide range of topics and areas.

I am a little shocked at my reading score. I am a naturally slow reader and English isn't my first language. There reading passage and questions were more difficult than the previous ones, and I did miss an entire passage..

Hello August 2009 Pcat Examinees,
Here you can display your actual scores and say how you felt about the Pcat/experience.
Thanks!!!

Please post your scores in this format:

Multiple-Choice Scores: Scaled Score/Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability xxx/xx
Biology xxx/xx
Reading Comprehension xxx/xx
Quantitative Ability xxx/xx
Chemistry xxx/xx
Composite xxx/xx

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language x.x
Problem Solving x.x

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

.[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Composite​
.​
.426 87

Chemistry​
.​
.418 72

Quantitative Ability​
.​
.420 74

Reading Comprehension​
.​
.431 88

Biology​
.​
.429 87

Verbal Ability​
.​
.431 89

Percentile
Rank (PR)
Scaled
MULTIPLE-CHOICE SCORES Score (SS)​
.[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Problem Solving​
.​

Conventions of Language​
.​

.​
.​

SS

.[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]..

Here they are:

Verbal - 81

Biology - 54 (WOW) :(

Chemistry - 43 (WOW) :(

Reading Comp - 83

Quantatative - 81

Composite - 73

Writing 3.0 / 3.0

My Story:

These scores are horrible!! I took the PCAT on a whim after I got depressed about the job outlook in my area. I noticed several students finding it hard to find a job once they got their PhDs, but it's just like any other field during the recession. I started looking into Pharmacy back in May and bought the Kaplan book in June. I studied for 2 weeks or so and took the test. I was a Bio major too so I can't explain the BAD Science scores!!!

Well, I'm staying in graduate school and finishing this PhD in Epidemiology. :D

GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS WITH APPLYING!!
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

Verbal 389 30
Biology 484 99
Reading Comprehension 417 72
Quantitative Ability 498 99
Chemistry 472 99
Composite 452 99
Writing 3/3

Very happy with my score except verbal...

Verbal - 99
Biology - 94
Reading Comprehension - 88
Quantitative - 91
Chemistry - 68 :thumbdown:
Essay - 3/3
Composite - 95

how bad is the 68 going to be?

Test Date: August 2009
Composite 430 91
Chemistry 472 99
Quantitative Ability 447 95
Reading Comprehension 391 31
Biology 429 87
Verbal Ability 409 63
Percentile
Rank (PR)
Scaled
MULTIPLE-CHOICE SCORES Score (SS)
Problem Solving 3.0
Conventions of Language 3.0

Last edited:
Multiple-Choice Scores: Scaled Score/Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability 450/97
Biology 465/99
Reading Comprehension 417/72
Quantitative Ability 438/91
Chemistry 438/90
Composite 442/97

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3

Looking at everyone's writing scores, I don't think they actually graded them...just gave out all 3s!

Chemistry 438 90
Quantitative Ability 438 91
Reading Comprehension 426 83
Biology 484 99
Verbal Ability 450 97
Composite 447 98

3.0/3.0 on the writing stuff

Looks like Kaplan and studying 4 hours a day from June 1st worked out :)

Chemistry 438 90
Quantitative Ability 438 91
Reading Comprehension 426 83
Biology 484 99
Verbal Ability 450 97
Composite 447 98

3.0/3.0 on the writing stuff

Looks like Kaplan and studying 4 hours a day from June 1st worked out :)

Would you say that Kaplan helped you with all of your scores :xf: or were you already kind of good at some of those subjects? I'm using Kaplan's book to study for the October test. I can't afford Dr. Collins so Kaplan's is all I have. I'm going to take a Pearson's Practice Test.

verbal ability 478/ 99
bio 440 /94
reading comp 409/ 60
quant 420 /74
chem 418 /72
composite 433/ 93

2/2 essay

My composite's okay I guess. I think my verbal's raw helped it a lot...I dunno if I should retake it again. My essay was pretty incoherent. That topic that I suspect was graded was almost unknown to me. I really don't want to take this thing again.

verbal 43
bio 38
reading 53
quantitative 34
chem 77
writing 3/3
composite 49

needless to say i have been crying since 10:30pm and i will prob continue
i see ppl up here disappointed with composites if 91...i WISH i was in ur shoes..be thankful....schools wont even look at my application...i have a 3.95 gpa and this test does not reflect that at all.....now i am deciding if pharmacy school is even for me

for those of u who have gotten great scores whcih is basically everyone but me....plz tell me how i can improve....the sad part is i actually thought i did good wen i left the test

verbal 43
bio 38
reading 53
quantitative 34
chem 77
writing 3/3
composite 49

i see ppl up here disappointed with composites if 91...i WISH i was in ur shoes..be thankful....schools wont even look at my application...i have a 3.95 gpa and this test does not reflect that at all.....now i am deciding if pharmacy school is even for me

for those of u who have gotten great scores whcih is basically everyone but me....plz tell me how i can improve....the sad part is i actually thought i did good wen i left the test

You can always retake

how do you feel about California schools? Since they dont look at pcats...

Composite 86
Verbal 92
Biology 75
RC 48
Quant 88
Chem 90
Writing 3/3

Should I retake? I'm worried about my RC subscore. Thanks.

You can always retake

how do you feel about California schools? Since they dont look at pcats...

i am retaking oct 17 but i dont kno how much better i can do within 3 weeks..i studied all summer using kaplan... i just dont kno where to start now b/c i need to work on everything.....
funny u ask b/c i was JUST lookin at which schools dont require PCAT...i live in Virginia though :-( that is reeeallly far

nsu,
I studied with everything I could get my hands on. Primarily Kaplan book for general refresher. Then Barrons for the practice tests, Cliffs book of 5 practice tests, another book called Pcat Flash Cards(which is really just practice questions), and the online practice tests. Any areas where I was weak on practice tests, I also bought a used Calculus and Chem text books to supplement. These are all available pretty cheap in amazon.com's used books.

nsu,
I studied with everything I could get my hands on. Primarily Kaplan book for general refresher. Then Barrons for the practice tests, Cliffs book of 5 practice tests, another book called Pcat Flash Cards(which is really just practice questions), and the online practice tests. Any areas where I was weak on practice tests, I also bought a used Calculus and Chem text books to supplement. These are all available pretty cheap in amazon.com's used books.

Thank you so much: i woke up this morning feeling the same way i feel last night..im soo lost right now....i am definitely going to go and get the barrons and cliffs tests: i have both of the pearson practice tests. I didnt do well on those either when i did it under test conditions. However, i got only got about 5 wrong in each section when i took my time. I guess i need to improve my technique..Im just so confused right now, because im taking it again in oct, but usually people improve from like a 70 to 90 not a 49 to 90 sumthin :-( and there are some schools with november 1 and 2 deadlines-- i wont know my second scores by then and ill be darn if i send scores like that to anybodys school. Thank you so much for your advice: people around me just dont understand the importance of this and just how bad that score is

verbal 43
bio 38
reading 53
quantitative 34
chem 77
writing 3/3
composite 49

I totally agree with you and I know how you feel. I took my June PCAT thinking I did well..and when the scores came in...I was depressed for about a month. My June score was..disheartening, like my four years of undergrad Microbio/Molec Bio classes went down the drain. I took the August one and..I don't want to buy the score online because honestly, I don't want to go through what I went through seeing my June score (I'm just going to wait in the mail). Just know that you're not alone and don't lose hope...If pharmacy is your dream, don't give up. Because pharmacy has always been my dream and I know I have to be strong!! Take care!

You are not the only one. My composite is 49 too. I can't believe it. I studied Dr. Collin for Verbal, and I was really happy after the test.I assumed getting 75 or more. Unfortunately, it comes up 14 and 9 for reading. I just want killing myself. I don't know how I can improve them for 3 weeks with my work and my school's work. I have an exam today, but after I saw my score last night, I can't focus on it and do very bad. I'm ruining everything. I got 85 for chem, 85 for math, and 65 for bio. So I think what I must to do is focusing on Verbal and Reading. We will be good. Don't give up

Composite 420 80
Verbal 403 53
Biology 429 87
RC 405 53
Quant 430 85
Chem 434 88

Writing 4/4

I'm happy with the bio/chem/quant scores considering I am not a science major. But how did I do so bad with the verbal and RC, since on the practice test those were my strongest areas. And how does that make sense that I did so bad on verbal and RC when I got a pair of 4's in the writing?

Verbal 412 68
Biology 395 38
RC 413 66
QA 393 29
Chem 422 77
Comp 407 58

I am so embarrassed! I can't believe how awful i did. Im not sure if I was just nervous. I have a B.S. in biomed science and biology I did awful in as well as the math. All I know is that I have been studying since two days after the Aug PCAT and I will be ready to beat the heck out of the Oct. Does anyone have any specific tips for the math section though. I thought I had prepared decently for it and my jaw dropped when I saw that score. Im so upset

Just paid to get my scores. Here they are -

Verbal Ability - 99
Biology - 87
Reading Comp - 72
Quantitative - 78
Chemistry - 72
Composite - 91

Writing - 3/3

The chemistry score is a little low, but I'm happy with everything else. Improved from a 74 composite and 49 biology from June '09.

Hello NSU757. I just want to tell you to not lose hope. I jumped from a 43->93 (For chem Only) composite: 86 and a friend of mine jumped from 20->80 (For Math only). I will write a more detailed post on how I did it. But overall, don't fret just keep going and study as much as you can. Do not lose hope.:luck:

Thank you soo much
im glad i came to this forum
this is the encouragement i need, because nobody else understands what this means to me and how 'bad' that score really is. I want to go to Mercer. They wont even look at my application with a 49.
I cant wait for you to post how you made such a boost ! that is awesome congrats

Verbal 406 / 68
Bio 410 / 65
RC 402 / 48
QA 410 / 59
Chem 405 / 53
Writing 3/3
Composite 407 / 58

fml. that's all i can say... pcat just made some money off of my $20 score report followed by $199 oct. registration (including late fee).

you're welcome pearson.

Verbal Ability xxx/62
Biology xxx/75
Reading Comprehension xxx/42
Quantitative Ability xxx/99
Chemistry xxx/93
Composite xxx/88

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3

Overall im very happy as this was my first time taking it..Im a little worried about the reading and verbal score but i think im done

Verbal............................... 81
Biology.............................. 96
Reading Comprehension........ 79
Quantitative Ability.............. 97
Chemistry.......................... 85
Composite.......................... 94

Writing.............................. 3/3

Verbal - 436 (92)
Bio - 440 (94)
Reading - 451 (97)
Quant - 423 (78)
Chem 438 (90)
Composite - 438 (96)

Writing - 3/3

I put my printed score report in a bag of compounded items to be checked by the pharmacist writing my LOR, and he was like "what the hell is this......DUDE!!! I told you 95+!" and we had a totally-heterosexual-one-armed-bro-hug moment! :laugh:

Verbal - 443 - 95%
Biology - 440 - 94%
Reading - 409 - 60%
Quant - 423 - 78%
Chem - 443 - 93%
Compos - 432 - 92%

Writing - 3/3

Verbal 412 68
Biology 395 38
RC 413 66
QA 393 29
Chem 422 77
Comp 407 58

I am so embarrassed! I can't believe how awful i did. Im not sure if I was just nervous. I have a B.S. in biomed science and biology I did awful in as well as the math. All I know is that I have been studying since two days after the Aug PCAT and I will be ready to beat the heck out of the Oct. Does anyone have any specific tips for the math section though. I thought I had prepared decently for it and my jaw dropped when I saw that score. Im so upset

Did you run out of time? My best advice is to decide if you are going to answer the question or skip it right away. If you have a weaker area, just skip it outright. You can always come back if you have the time. Whatever you do, don't spend too much time on one problem. You want to at least read all the questions on the exam because there will be ones that are easier for you to do.

When you practice math problems, work on speed. I remember reading about one person who did well with Schaum guide books like College Algebra or PreCalculus and just worked the problems over and over until he got really good at them. The good news is that math is a lot easier to improve than some of the other sections. It is just going to take some practice on your part.

I can't believe some of you are complaining about low 80's and 90's... seriously you need a reality check.

Composite 417 76
Chemistry 422 77
Quantitative Ability 423 78
Reading Comprehension 405 53*
Biology 414 71
Verbal Ability 419 77

Writing: 3.0/3.0

I'm actually very happy with my scores even though they seem mediocre compared to a lot of the people who have already posted. I'm not a good test taker, so I'm ecstatic to even be in the mildly competitive range and was thinking the PCAT would hurt my otherwise strong application. I haven't taken micro, phys, or orgo II yet, so I hope schools will take that into account. I also haven't taken calculus or trig in over 7 years and used the Kaplan book to study, which i didn't realize had such a pathetic math section at the time. (WARNING: if you use the Kaplan book, look elsewhere for math review).

Right now I'm not planning on retaking because I'm not going to learn 3 core classes in 3 weeks. I think my scores were solid other than RC, but it has never been a strength of mine and I don't know how much I could improve in three weeks. I feel as though my scores aren't outstanding, but they're not horrible either. Do you think it would be a mistake to not retake (no rhyme intended)?

Last edited by a moderator: