Official August 22, 2009 PCAT Scores (Post Here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vultron

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi August 2008 Pcat Examiners.
Please Post your Scores in this Format.
You Can Copy and Paste the Format and Put in your actual Scores.
You can say how you feel about the Pcat and the Experience.
Thanks!!! Goodluck!!!

Multiple-Choice Scores
Scaled Score/Percentile Rank

Verbal Ability xxx/xx
Biology xxx/xx
Reading Comprehension xxx/xx
Quantitative Ability xxx/xx
Chemistry xxx/xx
Composite xxx/xx

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language x.x
Problem Solving x.x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Multiple-Choice Scores

Verbal Ability 449/99
Biology 434/98
Reading Comprehension 431/88
Quantitative Ability 447/95
Chemistry 434/88
Composite 449/99

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Overall, I am on cloud nine. I thought I was going to get around an 80%. I was hoping for a better chemistry score but considering I haven't even started O-chem yet I am very pleased.

Can any of you give me some advice how to study for biology part? I did go through Kaplan book twice, did a lot of practice test and most of the time I only missed 8-10 out of 48 question. However, when I took the exam in Aug. I was surprise many of the questions, I have never seen in Kaplan book. Did you guys have to go through the biology textbook?
Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of you give me some advice how to study for biology part? I did go through Kaplan book twice, did a lot of practice test and most of the time I only missed 8-10 out of 48 question. However, when I took the exam in Aug. I was surprise many of the questions, I have never seen in Kaplan book. Did you guys have to go through the biology textbook?
Thanks in advance,

damn, you guys got your scores already!

i haven't yet! it's through the mail, right? is there any other way to check online or something, i'm sort of freaking out now. lol

nonetheless, some awesome scores here, guys! :thumbup:

I used the Kaplan book as well. I would recommend going through not just the test questions but the refresher sections as well. It is certainly not exhaustive but if you read closely enough and make out lots of flashcards and drill for a few weeks you should be able to improve your biology score.

damn, you guys got your scores already!

i haven't yet! it's through the mail, right? is there any other way to check online or something, i'm sort of freaking out now. lol

nonetheless, some awesome scores here, guys! :thumbup:

You can pay 20 dollars to see your score report right now online
or...
wait till it comes in the mail possibly 2-3 days later, but you risk the chance of being able to get a 50% refund for your october test date, which the deadline to cancel is on the 25th... tomorrow!

You can pay 20 dollars to see your score report right now online
or...
wait till it comes in the mail possibly 2-3 days later, but you risk the chance of being able to get a 50% refund for your october test date, which the deadline to cancel is on the 25th... tomorrow!

wait, so your saying if I view my score online right now by paying 20 bucks, I can get a 50 percent refund for the Oct. test date by tomorrow?

wait, so your saying if I view my score online right now by paying 20 bucks, I can get a 50 percent refund for the Oct. test date by tomorrow?

yes. go to the PCAT website and go to your account. you should be able to pay for your personal score report.

Ok, Im so confused right now. SO, the scores are available online now, just got to pay 20 bucks to see them? so, there's a guarantee that everyone's ACTUAL Aug PCAT scores are definitely online at the moment, given one pays those 20 dollars?

Ok, Im so confused right now. SO, the scores are available online now, just got to pay 20 bucks to see them? so, there's a guarantee that everyone's ACTUAL Aug PCAT scores are definitely online at the moment, given one pays those 20 dollars?

if you go the website and log into your account (same place as though you're signing up for the PCAT) and you click personal score report there should be AUG 2009 as an option. it doesn't show up as an option unless the scores are available to view.

I am a little confused, how are you guys getting you composite percentile scores? Like I know how to figure out the composite scaled score (you just add the five scores together and divide by five right?). Can anyone tell me how to figure out the composite percentile rank???

THANKS in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks in advance,

I firmly believe that the Kaplan book does a terrible job for PCAT preparation. I think the best study guides are Dr. Collins Self-Study and Cliff's 5 PCAT Practice tests.

While I had taken most of the prerequisite courses for the PCAT (ie lower division biology, physiology and general through organic chemistry), I think that by simply completing the various study tests Dr. Collins provides is enough.

I did not have to go through a biology textbook - I would occasionally look things up on Wikipedia and that is more than sufficient.

And just in case that people do not believe me, I scored a 96 composite on my first time with the PCAT.

Do pharmacy schools (im applying to lecom-b and mercer this year) take the best scores from each subsection for multiple tests?

Do pharmacy schools (im applying to lecom-b and mercer this year) take the best scores from each subsection for multiple tests?

they see ALL your scores from the past 5 yrs unless the score was voided by selecting the "no score" option.

cons of taking more than once:
-if your score remains relatively static, they will know you have reached your "limit" so make sure you take it and improve your score

Hi guys!

I've never used this forum before, but I'd like some input with my pcat scores if possible:

Verbal 95
Bio 98
Reading 53
Quant 69
Chem 72
Composite: 88

Reading: 3.0/2.84, 3.0/2.83

I don't know if I should be happy about this or not! I know there's a sticky thread already devoted to problems like this, but the latest posts have all been posted scores with no feedback. So, should I bother taking it again??? I have a 3.66 GPA, and I have a B +/ A- in all my math/chem prereqs. Additionally, I work as a pharm tech, which I'm hoping will save me from my lower PCAT scores.

Thoughts??

Hi guys!

I've never used this forum before, but I'd like some input with my pcat scores if possible:

Verbal 95
Bio 98
Reading 53
Quant 69
Chem 72

I don't know if I should be happy about this or not! I know there's a sticky thread already devoted to problems like this, but the latest posts have all been posted scores with no feedback. So, should I bother taking it again??? I have a 3.66 GPA, and I have a B +/ A- in all my math/chem prereqs. Additionally, I work as a pharm tech, which I'm hoping will save me from my lower PCAT scores.

Thoughts??

From my view of other posts, you should be fine for sure.:thumbup:

Hi guys!

Verbal 95
Bio 98
Reading 53
Quant 69
Chem 72

Thoughts??

There was an admissions officer who was saying that is statistically impossible for all the accepted students to have a 90+ composite. You have an 88 which is most likely above average for any school you plan to apply to. I'm not in admissions but I think you will be fine.

Hi guys!

Verbal 95
Bio 98
Reading 53
Quant 69
Chem 72

Thoughts??

Im in the same situation as you..I took it in august and got an 88 and i feel like thats not good enough for the good pharmacy schools but i could be completely wrong..i have a 3.52..im frustrated cause i dont no what to do

I think an 88 is a great score, it's just that everyone on SDN is super smart :D so from this thread it looks like it's a low score but really it's a very good score

Hey guys i got my august 2009 results..and i want to apply to uoft..they have minimum requirements for each subsection which i must meet..the only problem is my verbal ability..the minimum requirement for the 2009 cycle was 20 percentile and it may change because it is based on the applicant pool..so whwat do you guys think i should do? I really don't want to go through the process to write the PCAT, but i also don't want to find out in summer that because of my 35 percentile i was disqualified

Verbal abillity 35 percentile
Biology 90 percentile
Reading Comprehension 79 percentile
Quantitative Ability 93 percentile
Chemistry Composite 95 percentile
Composite 89 percentile
Convetions of Language 3
Problem Solving 3

Verbal Ability 89
Biology 94
Reading Comp 18 :(
Quantitative 99
Chemistry 96
Composite 95

So, overall I am really happy with my August 2009 results. I'm worried about the reading comp though. I knew this would be my weakest score, and I'm scared that if I retake I won't get a composite as high as a 95. Any advice?

Also, my dream school is UF. Do they have a certain minimum for the subsections?

Thanks everyone for your input!! I appreciate it a lot :)

Verbal Ability 89
Biology 94
Reading Comp 18 :(
Quantitative 99
Chemistry 96
Composite 95

So, overall I am really happy with my August 2009 results. I'm worried about the reading comp though. I knew this would be my weakest score, and I'm scared that if I retake I won't get a composite as high as a 95. Any advice?

Also, my dream school is UF. Do they have a certain minimum for the subsections?

I was able to speak with an admissions officer (from another school, not UF) who told me that a high verbal/writing score will generally circumvent a low reading score (which was my case as well). However, I'm not sure how strict admissions are with cut-offs for sub-sections, but it would seem kind of ridiculous that would be granted no interviews on the basis of that alone, because your other scores are super awesome.

Hey guys i got my august 2009 results..and i want to apply to uoft..they have minimum requirements for each subsection which i must meet..the only problem is my verbal ability..the minimum requirement for the 2009 cycle was 20 percentile and it may change because it is based on the applicant pool..so whwat do you guys think i should do? I really don't want to go through the process to write the PCAT, but i also don't want to find out in summer that because of my 35 percentile i was disqualified

Verbal abillity 35 percentile
Biology 90 percentile
Reading Comprehension 79 percentile
Quantitative Ability 93 percentile
Chemistry Composite 95 percentile
Composite 89 percentile
Convetions of Language 3
Problem Solving 3

Do you happen to know what the other requirements were for 2009?? I know the PCAT is new there so they're probably going to change, but I haven't been able to find that info anywhere.

Verbal Ability 412/68
Biology 417/75
Reading Comp 405/53
QA 434/88
Chemistry 434/88
Composite 420/80

It's not what you guys have been getting, but I am proud of myself nonetheless... It's a considerable jump from 58->69->80. 11 each time! maybe I should retake it again and hope for a 91 :) Good luck to all you guys

Multiple-Choice Scores

Verbal Ability 449/99
Biology 434/98
Reading Comprehension 431/88
Quantitative Ability 447/95
Chemistry 434/88
Composite 449/99

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3.0

Overall, I am on cloud nine. I thought I was going to get around an 80%. I was hoping for a better chemistry score but considering I haven't even started O-chem yet I am very pleased.

You composite was 449/99? Wow. Nice job!

Shouldn't your composite be 439 though? :confused:

I really kind of didn't believe it when I saw it but, yes... 449/99!

I'm not quite sure how they compute the composite. Pearson works in mysterious ways. I would definitely say I'm a little nonplussed. My best guess is that the composite worked out to be that high because my lowest scores were 88.

Verbal 412/68
Chemistry 422/77
Quantitative Ability 410/59 :(
Reading Comprehension 413/66
Biology 429/87
Composite 417/76

Writing Scores :(
Conventions of Language 2.5
Problem Solving 2.5

I should have studied over the summer. I just wanted to have feel of the test and i now regret not studying to get a better score in the first time so that i don't have to take the long test again!

Verbal Ability xxx/35
Biology xxx/84
Reading Comprehension xxx/48
Quantitative Ability xxx/54
Chemistry xxx/98
Composite xxx/77

I'm happy with my bio and chem. but my quantitative ability should have been higher I assumed they give us 50 minutes not 40 minutes and the English portion was what it should never studied for them.

science gpa 3.5

I applied to wayne state, lecom
does anyone think i got a shot at any of those two schools

wowness my chem and bio scores are extremely low. I didn't even break a 50 on them. I used Kaplan and I thought that would be efficient. What did u guyz use for bio and chem to study from? Kaplan or collins?? Heartbroken:(

My first time taking the test and I'm sooo happy about my scores!

Multiple-Choice Scores: Scaled Score/Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability 436/92
Biology 421/80
Reading Comprehension 422/79
Quantitative Ability 426/81
Chemistry 438/90
Composite 429/90

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3.0

I'm surprised that I got a 90 in chemistry because that was my worst subject! Actually, I thought I did terrible after the test so this is a nice surprise.
As for studying, I started about a month before the exam. The biggest thing that helped me was taking the pearson practice tests. The questions were slightly easier on the practice than the real thing, but it gave me a feel for the types of questions asked. I took the first one without studying to give me an estimate of my current level and how much I needed to study and I took the 2nd one a week before the actual exam to test my improvement and check which areas I was still shaky on.

For books, I purchased Kaplan, Barron's and Cliffs. Kaplan is only good for reviewing the material and it's biology practice was similar to the real thing. Barron's and Cliffs were both much easier than the real test but they helped me practice doing math quickly. I have taken the mcat before and I found that mcat books covering organic chemistry were helpful for the pcat as well.

Subject Percentile
Verbal 89
Bio 99
Reading 79
Quantitative 64
Chemistry 93
writing 3/3

Composite 94

The last time I took it was Oct 2006 but that test does not count for many pharmacy schools.
I am worried about my quant. score. My other score from Oct 2006 was an 87 - so it dropped considerably. I did have other things on my mind at the time (family illness) but it is still a little embarrassing, especially since I think that math is one of my strengths. I have a feeling that admissions will be "why the **** did you quant. score drop so much"

THe chem - I am flabergasted!!! I thought I did horrible!!! I randomly filled in bubbles at the end because I was pressed for time.

At this point - I am signed up for the Oct PCAT (in a city 2 hours away b/c the closest one filled up already :mad:)
I am wondering if I should retake it. (I guess that goes into the other thread :laugh:)

Last edited:
can anyone tell me what are my chances of getting into any school is with a 3.1 gpa and with a degree BA from Kean University in bio and this horrendous pcat score

verbal 27
bio 11
reading comp 37
quantitative 45
chem 32
composite 24

Im kinda lazy ass - studied 1 week before the pcat even though it was my first time (I still procrastinated this bad!).

Verbal Ability 95
Biology 98
Reading Comp 66
QA 64
Chemistry 58
Composite 87
Conventions of language 2.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Should I retake it again? I have a 3.5 gpa from UCI and 1 year pharm exp and half a year hospital volunteering and am trying to get into UH-Hilo, UW, and USV. I didn't register for October because I missed the registration date (missed it when I signed up for this one too) so I was just waiting for my scores before I decided to give them another extra $50 in fees. I was totally thinking of switching to nursing after the PCAT because I thought I bombed it and didn't want to waste anymore money - but now I'm reconsidering!

I read somewhere that our score is no good after 2 years, is that true ???!!!

can anyone tell me what are my chances of getting into any school is with a 3.1 gpa and with a degree BA from Kean University in bio and this horrendous pcat score

verbal 27
bio 11
reading comp 37
quantitative 45
chem 32
composite 24

Hello j23, i applied last year with a 3.0 gpa and a 33 composite on the pcat and I didnt get in. I didnt have my BS finished at the time so that might have been a factor. I would take the test over again if I were you, but give applying a try, you never know.

verbal 86
bio 90
reading 53
math 97
chem 90

composite 92

writing 3/3

my goal was to get over 90.

i was surprised about some things. in verbal, i did oddly well. it was nothing like kaplan course at all. kaplan course = very difficult vocab that made me feel dumb as manure when i was prepping for the test

i did horrible in reading. in kaplan, i got around 70% in reading

and some advice: don't sign up for the $1400 kaplan course unless you are willing to commit. i honestly believe that if you study based on kaplan's regimen, you will get over 90 comp easily. but you have to forgo your life entirely and focus on studying. the course pace is insane, asking students to read 10 chapters of material and then moving onto something else in a matter of days.

i took the course in aug 08 while taking classes, and obviously, my priorities were on my classes. i did not feel ready to take the PCAT so i waited nearly a year to take it (i was hoping to just the prepharm reqs and go onto pharmacy school). i started actually studying for the test around early july 09 while taking summer school and crammed like mad for the last week (i'm talking 8 hours of studying a day in that last week!!). \

essentially, kaplan personnel sucks. my instructor sucked (in retrospect, she might have been good but i didn't study last year so my impression of her is biased). i just studied off the books they provided from aug 2008 and did all the multiple choice tests they had. i think they had 7-8 full length tests for each section which was really helpful.

if i could go back in time, i would NOT pay for the kaplan course. i would probably try to bum off a friend to let me use his/her online access so i could download the sample tests and study on my own which was what i essentially did. i could have saved 1400 (probably given 200 to the friend for lending online access)!!!! if i had that money now, i could have purchased a ps3, an iphone, a decent gaming comp, etc... maybe then i wouldn't be so poor to the point where i am scourging funds to buy a new vid card :)

Yeah I don't think those courses are worth it. I just used the kaplaan book and crammed it in over 5 days and came out with my acceptable composite. I didn't even t touch the practice tests - which explains my low chem and QA scores i GOT but their bio covered everything that was on the PCAT.
verbal 86
bio 90
reading 53
math 97
chem 90

composite 92

writing 3/3

my goal was to get over 90.

i was surprised about some things. in verbal, i did oddly well. it was nothing like kaplan course at all. kaplan course = very difficult vocab that made me feel dumb as manure when i was prepping for the test

i did horrible in reading. in kaplan, i got around 70% in reading

and some advice: don't sign up for the $1400 kaplan course unless you are willing to commit. i honestly believe that if you study based on kaplan's regimen, you will get over 90 comp easily. but you have to forgo your life entirely and focus on studying. the course pace is insane, asking students to read 10 chapters of material and then moving onto something else in a matter of days.

i took the course in aug 08 while taking classes, and obviously, my priorities were on my classes. i did not feel ready to take the PCAT so i waited nearly a year to take it (i was hoping to just the prepharm reqs and go onto pharmacy school). i started actually studying for the test around early july 09 while taking summer school and crammed like mad for the last week (i'm talking 8 hours of studying a day in that last week!!). \

essentially, kaplan personnel sucks. my instructor sucked (in retrospect, she might have been good but i didn't study last year so my impression of her is biased). i just studied off the books they provided from aug 2008 and did all the multiple choice tests they had. i think they had 7-8 full length tests for each section which was really helpful.

if i could go back in time, i would NOT pay for the kaplan course. i would probably try to bum off a friend to let me use his/her online access so i could download the sample tests and study on my own which was what i essentially did. i could have saved 1400 (probably given 200 to the friend for lending online access)!!!! if i had that money now, i could have purchased a ps3, an iphone, a decent gaming comp, etc... maybe then i wouldn't be so poor to the point where i am scourging funds to buy a new vid card :)

Verbal Ability 436/92
Biology 484/99
Reading Comprehension 422/79
Quantitative Ability 430/85
Chemistry 449/95
Composite 444/98

Writing Scores
Problem Solving 3.0

I am very happy with my scores. I got by bachelor's degree in 1999 and have only had a few classes since. I had a large learning curve. I studied the Kaplan book, old text books, and did the practice tests. This will do for me!

Hey everyone! I just got my score today and I hope everyone did well :)

I am in a pickle... I was wondering if the SDN can help me out.

My score:

Verbal Ability 436/92
Biology 440/94
Reading Comprehension 402/48 :(
Quantitative Ability 460/98
Chemistry 463/98
Composite 440/97

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 2.5 / mean 2.83
Problem Solving 2.5 / mean 2.84

Schools
I am hoping to get into schools in New York City like St. Johns and LIU

Undergrad
GPA 3.38, Engineering - Applied Mathematics major, pre medical concentration

I know I really messed up in reading and writing, and undoubtedly many will question my grasp on the english language. However, I was born and raised in the USA and although I am not fond of humanities, I really expected to do better than my current scores :\

I was wondering if any of you guys know if my score is okay enough to give me a shot at getting into schools around New York. If you were me, would you retake it on october 17th? I think I can improve my reading, probably my writing, but I think I got pretty lucky with math and chem and bio... ick please help!

[edit]
Oh yeah, my method of studying is using the Kaplan MCAT books and PCAT 2008-2009 book. Also, Cliffnotes 5 practice exam. In retrospect, the kaplan books helped only in biology and general chemistry. Severely lacking in organic chemistry, reading, verbal, math, and writing.

I read somewhere that our score is no good after 2 years, is that true ???!!!

Not true at all.
It depends on the school. The PharmCAS school pages list how long tests are good for under the "test" section

Some are 3 years, 5 years, etc. It really depends on the school.

Thanks for answering! I just hope those school pages are kept up to date, cuz 5 years would be awfully nice :)

Not true at all.
It depends on the school. The PharmCAS school pages list how long tests are good for under the "test" section

Some are 3 years, 5 years, etc. It really depends on the school.

My scores arrived in Michigan today.

Composite: 455/99

Verbal: 450/97
Biology: 446/96
Reading Comp: 461/99
Quantitative: 453/97
Chemistry: 463/98

Writing: 3/3

Yeah, I'm pretty happy. :)

Thanks for answering! I just hope those school pages are kept up to date, cuz 5 years would be awfully nice :)

If you are really worried then you should email the school.

If you are applying for the 2nd time, then you will noticwe that some are consistently so many years.
ALso, remember that it counts years from fall admission. Even though October 2006 is three years old form right now, it is really counted as fours years old, as it is 4 years removed from fall 2010.

I think I did 'okay' on my test after getting my scores today. I don't know, I was pretty sick the day of the test and felt pain in my lower regions during the entire test. I don't like making excuses, so I will take what I have. But I could definitely improve, especially in bio and quaint. With that said, I was thinking of retaking the test in October but there's no way I could put aside enough time to prepare for it. I think I will just skip this cycle. My GPA is average and I have good EC's but I am rethinking if pharmacy is the right career option for me.

Yeah I was getting more into nursing until I got my scores back. Pharmacy is kinda boring to me compared with nursing and theres a lot more advancement in nursing with higher degrees (MS, PhDs) with more $$$ too and honestly, the whole pharmacy field seems rife with smug *******s who care more about their salary and profits than actually helping people. But I'll think about it more....
I think I did 'okay' on my test after getting my scores today. I don't know, I was pretty sick the day of the test and felt pain in my lower regions during the entire test. I don't like making excuses, so I will take what I have. But I could definitely improve, especially in bio and quaint. With that said, I was thinking of retaking the test in October but there's no way I could put aside enough time to prepare for it. I think I will just skip this cycle. My GPA is average and I have good EC's but I am rethinking if pharmacy is the right career option for me.

Hello all

I just got back my PCAT scores and I am very shocked. Below are my scores:

Verbal 381/19
Bio 406/61
Reading 380/16
Math 405/49
Chem 379/15
Comp 390/24

I can't believe my scores because I started reviewing 2 months before my pcat and I feel very discouraged. But, I have 3.9 GPA, 4 years of health care experience, volunteer and extracurricular, good LORs. I am applying to 8 schools. What are my chances of getting in a pharmacy school? and how can I improve my scores in october pcat?????

Please Help