Official Books/Questions for Step 2CK 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TY06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make an official/final list of the best things to study for step 2ck. What are the best books/book combinations and questions/qbanks/qbooks to use?

Books I read about here: FA Step 2CK, Step 2 secrets, Crush step 2, Step up to medicine, Step up to Step 2.

Questions: Kaplan Qbook, Kap Qbank, USMLEworld, NMS Step 2 qbook.

Your final thoughts. What are the best combinations to do well...not the minimum??

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

what is deja??

so for step 1, first aid was golden.

what is golden for step 2ck??? what ever happened with goljan? kap qbank? usmleworld?? first aid?? crush or secrets???

what is the deal??? im lost.

My plan is to use FA Step 2 CK and CS, Step 2 Secrets, Boards and Wards, and USMLEWorld. I may do some transferring of information from my individual clerkship books into FA Step 2 CK during this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there will be a new First Aid for Step 2 CK this year? I'm not planning to take step 2 until later in the year, so I don't want to buy the old book now and start annotating it if there will be a newer version out later.

The problem is that what is required to do well is different for everyone. If you have done well on all your shelf exams, and have relatively good long-term memory, then you probably don't need to do all that much studying. Personally I think that doing a questions based approach is pretty effective. USMLEWorld is great for this. When those explanations don't cut it for you, I would just advocate going back to whatever sources you had used during your clerkships. Step II is not as in-depth as each shelf exam, so I don't really feel that studying those individual review books is all that helpful, unless you really want to spend that much time, and have the determination to get through it. In addition, I would recommend taking Step II early in your 4th year, unless you have a stellar Step I you are trying to protect. You will be as fresh with that info as you ever will be. As 4th goes on the stress of applications will divert your attention.

Overall I only ended up using Qbook and USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam by Brochert, along with FA for Medicine Clerkship, BRS OBGyn, and Surgery Recall for brief reviews. The questions in Mock are pretty easy, but it has decent explanations, and at least was a good jumping board for me to further look in to topics.

Does anyone know if there will be a new First Aid for Step 2 CK this year? I'm not planning to take step 2 until later in the year, so I don't want to buy the old book now and start annotating it if there will be a newer version out later.

I e-mailed them yesterday about this:

Dear Customer,

No new edition is planned at this time.

Thank You

McGraw-Hill Customer Service Ecommerce

877-833-5524