*** Official Boston University SDM Class of 2013 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called today and they said they are still making offers.......NOT to the waitlisted.....anybody here got admission recently?????

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a DMD 2012 at BUSDM and just wanted to let you guys have a little light of hope. A lot of the people that are in the 2012 class were waitlisted and got in June.

If that doesn't help, I got accepted the day before class started so hang in there! BU accepts pretty late.

If you have any questions, just email me!

O yeah, if any of you are looking for an apt, I'm looking for a roommate. =)

Hey guys,

I'm a DMD 2012 at BUSDM and just wanted to let you guys have a little light of hope. A lot of the people that are in the 2012 class were waitlisted and got in June.

If that doesn't help, I got accepted the day before class started so hang in there! BU accepts pretty late.

If you have any questions, just email me!

O yeah, if any of you are looking for an apt, I'm looking for a roommate. =)

Well what about those of us who haven't been interviewed yet?...do they still interview in June as well? Or should we just call it a day and start on the 2010 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I believe interviews stop at the end of March.

i am waitlisted on BU which is my one and only hope...can I apply for next cycle while I am waiting to hear from BU?

BU is being very quiet for a while....anyone has heard anything recently?

I talked with one of the admissions and was told that they do not expect too much movement from people with multiple deposits withdrawing. So now my question is why did last year's class have a lot of movement during June?

And, oh I forgot to ask them if the class is full or not so it would be nice if someone else could let me know.

just called. The class is near full but now they are talking about possibly doing more interviews in summer. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? This is just downright bizzare

WOW! We hear something different every week....... I really wish (although never happening) all schools would be more informative in a punctional manner (like at least monthly and utilze AADSAS status more frequently) to at least inform how many spots are open. I would think less people would call the office this way, and makes more sense with the 2ndary $$$ we pay.

Btw, thanks for the info nealofgrafton. And I agree, this possible summer interview sounds bizzare. I'm getting the impression that those who have interviewed already, but have not been accepted are not what the school is looking for.

they haven't told me anything. I interviewed on 3/20/09, has anyone else from that day or around that time heard anything?

Hey Neal, I also interview on 3/20/09 and have not heard anything. I remember being told that it would take roughly 4-6 weeks for a response. Guess its just taking longer than expected.

Anyone have some updated info or acceptance post 5/15? Let's all stay strong!

Anyone have some updated info or acceptance post 5/15? Let's all stay strong!

was there any acceptance in 5/15? I thought they only gave out waitlist around that time

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Neal,
I still haven't heard anything from BU and i'm trying my best to wait here patiently. But it's great to hear that they are still not full. How did they contact you in regards to the alternate list? (phone, email?) Or did they tell you during your call?

For those of you on the alternate list...How often do you contact them?

I was told that I should stay in contact with the admissions office to keep them updated on my continued interest, but how often and who are you talking to? There's a fine line between bugging the hell out of them and showing interest...

the class is definately full...I've talked to them today and they told me several times that it is full....and they are not expecting many people to drop out...basically not much promise to the alternative list..sorry to give out this bad news

Damn sorry to hear about that, have you planned to reapply

the class is definately full...I've talked to them today and they told me several times that it is full....and they are not expecting many people to drop out...basically not much promise to the alternative list..sorry to give out this bad news

Bummer :( That's the one thing I didn't want to hear....

Agreed, that's terrible news. I wonder why there wont be as much alternate list movement this year?

Just to get a rough number of people on the alternate list, I just made a list. Help yourself if I did not include you.

1)bleech
2)Jgoogle
3)fenderdude
4)Ruger6207
5)MonMonii
6)nealofgrafton

Just to get a rough number of people on the alternate list, I just made a list. Help yourself if I did not include you.

1)bleech
2)Jgoogle
3)fenderdude
4)Ruger6207
5)MonMonii
6)nealofgrafton

is everyone that isnt accepted put on the alternate list?
does anyone get a rejection letter after they interview or does the school just leave you hanging?

is everyone that isnt accepted put on the alternate list?
does anyone get a rejection letter after they interview or does the school just leave you hanging?

Not everyone is placed on the alternate list. From the info I got from taking to the admissions being placed on the alternate is better than not, but to be honest I'm not quite sure of the validity. I haven't heard any rejections after an interview, but I may be wrong.

I wish the school would rank the students placed on the alternate list so we can better gauge where we are because the 2010 application cycle opened yesterday:thumbdown:... sigh...

dude you ever see mrhands.mpg?

hahaha. ya thats where the name comes. im assuming youve seen it? my friends and I joke about it quite often.

i would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to become a dentist.

i got a call just now and was offered a spot, but declined. i was not on the waitlist. good luck :D

Hey pcakes,
When did you interview? I have not been contacted following my interview (in March) and have been trying to stay positive about this situation.

Congrats pcakes! Thanks for keeping us informed that Boston is still giving out acceptance.

Now :xf:for the 617 area code phone call.

hey guys!! Can anyone confirm this? Is it true that the prereq courses cannot take at community college? Im a transfer student. I took prereq (gchem, 1 ochem class) at cc but second ochem and physics at ucla.

hey guys!! Can anyone confirm this? Is it true that the prereq courses cannot take at community college? Im a transfer student. I took prereq (gchem, 1 ochem class) at cc but second ochem and physics at ucla.

Following taken from here, http://dentalschool.bu.edu/bulletin/DMD/app-dmd.html

Prerequisite Courses
The Admissions Committee at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine strongly suggests that the following courses be taken to insure the most competitive application.
Prerequisite courses should be taken at an accredited, four-year College or University within the United States or Canada.

• Biology - One-and-one-half years with lab (12 credits). The Committee suggests basic biology, genetics, embryology, molecular biology, cell biology, anatomy, physiology and biochemistry.
    • Inorganic Chemistry – One year with lab (8 credits)
    • Organic Chemistry – One year with lab (8 credits)
    • Physics - One year with lab (8 credits). Applicants should know the general principles of physical laws and phenomena, including courses in mechanics, light, heat, sound, electricity, and radiation.
    • English or Composition - One year (8 credits). AP Credits and OAC English credits will be accepted if the degree granting institution awarded college credit. University designated writing intensive courses will also satisfy this requirement. A course description will be required at time of interview.
    • Mathematics - One year (8 credits). A basic understanding of calculus is needed. AP Credits will be accepted if the degree granting institution awarded college credit.
    • Social Sciences – 5 courses (20 credits).The committee strongly recommends that the applicant's college curriculum include courses in psychology, humanities, sociology or anthropology, and economics.
It sounds like they recommend pre-reqs at 4 year University but doesn't say MUST, which is the case at Tufts University. I would call the admissions just to be safe.

Hey pcakes,
When did you interview? I have not been contacted following my interview (in March) and have been trying to stay positive about this situation.

heyhey! i had my interview on feb 9 and i didnt hear anything from them until yesterday. also my aadsas showed the invited for interview paragraph all throughout. ps.thanks jgoogle and gl to all :thumbup:

I got in, Yaaaaay.:soexcited: I received the e-mail on Friday (June 12th) and was interviewed on the last day, March 27th. Not sure, but I think the class is not full yet. So, don't lose hope. Oh, and no, I was not waitlisted. Trust me, I know how hard it is to wait so long for your dream to come true, but press on and never lose hope. Best of luck to all of you. :luck:

Congratulations superfloss for your accomplishment!:thumbup:

On the other hand, has anybody noticed that those who interviewed but not placed on the alternate has been getting accepted? I was told by the admissions that it is better to be placed on the alternate but I feel like I'm being lied about this. :mad:

Hey all I also got in in june I'm super excited I also wasn't on the waitlist. I hope you guys get in also goodluck

BU wasn't full as of yesterday. Also from what I was told it is better to have not heard anything yet.

When you mean by "not heard anything", do you mean being on the alternate list is not a good thing?

When you mean by "not heard anything", do you mean being on the alternate list is not a good thing?

interviewed and havent heard anything yet = good
interviewed and put on the waitlist = not so good

i think thats what nealofgrafton is saying. but i think theres another poster stating that they called BU and was told that its better to be put on the waitlist. seems like BU is saying something different every week.

Someone I know go in off the alternate list a couple of weeks ago, but they had been on the waitlist for months.

I interviewed in January and was just put on the alternate list after not hearing anything for months. My understanding is that BU makes offers to applicants who have not heard at all as they are on the unofficial waiting list that takes priority over applicants on the official alternate list. I wonder if there are any applicants left who have not been contacted at all or if BU will start making offers to applicants on the official alternate list. Hope it goes well for everyone. In the mean time, don't forget to submit the new application for the 2009/10 cycle.

this is what I believe...those who are on the waitlist probably wont be contacted until mid july, pretty much right before school starts...deadline for tuition pay is early July..those who havent paid will most likely get cut and thats when spaces opens up to let the rest of u guys in...good luck everyone still tryin to get in.

Any recent acceptance? Anyone off the wait list yet?

Any recent acceptance? Anyone off the wait list yet?

I'm thinking the same thing. I called this week and was informed there are open spots. So it appears there have been open spots for the last two weeks but no movement. Here is something from last year

PHP:
Waitlisters 
4/19 RSamR20
4/19 artsyme 
5/13 Simplystressed 
5/14 leafsfan9
5/17 townie
5/16 moodent
5/16 bennijai
5/18 myclue

Code:
Non-Alternate or did not mention
ilovekitkat
BUdental12
dentistryizhot
mannygrk
ernest1284
reeny285

Code:
  Acceptance
5/30/2008 Friday  artsyme   
6/9/2008  Monday simplystressed 
6/16/2008 Monday ilovekitkat
6/17/2008 Tuesday leafsfan9
6/18/2008 Thursday BUdental12
6/26/2008 Thursday Townie
7/10/2008 Thursday dentistryizhot
7/16/2008 Wednesday mannygrk
7/16/2008 Wednesday ernest1284
7/16/2008 Wednesday reeny285

heard from BU June 22 -accepted
i decline

i was not waitlisted as far as i know--was never told anyting like that ijust assumed they forgot about me

hope one of you gets it.