Official CMS/Finch Class of 2007 and AP 2003 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanna know who's making their way to the wonderful city known as North Chicago come July. If you have any questions I'll do my best to help you out.

Members don't see this ad.

bump...cuz i know there are some of you out there and it ain't pinky :p

The powers that be in the AP program are player hating on my application. Any advice? I sent it in back in Jan and still haven't heard a peep.

Also,

How many people get into Finch each year from the AP program in terms of a percent? Do any go to other places besides Finch?

And finally, is it really THAT bad at Finch? It seems like the school gets slammed on the boards - but I've never been there so I'm keeping an open mind. Is it just the area that is bad? Its not like I plan on being outside the library much - so as long as they have heat and a/c I'm straight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dr. Will,

I'll be joining the class of 2007! I'm moving up there from Florida in about 3 weeks! I was wondering if you knew if there was an ATM in the school and which bank is it?

There is an ATM on the lower level near the security desk and it is a Bank One ATM.

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
The powers that be in the AP program are player hating on my application. Any advice? I sent it in back in Jan and still haven't heard a peep.

Also,

How many people get into Finch each year from the AP program in terms of a percent? Do any go to other places besides Finch?

And finally, is it really THAT bad at Finch? It seems like the school gets slammed on the boards - but I've never been there so I'm keeping an open mind. Is it just the area that is bad? Its not like I plan on being outside the library much - so as long as they have heat and a/c I'm straight.

Slammed on the boards?
The M3 class averaged 220 this year. I'm not sure where our school gets the reputation people attribute to it. I suspect it has something to do with our formerly bottom-of-the-barrel GPA/MCATs. I would guess AP-turn-M1As have historically dragged down the average GPA/MCAT of the M1 class. Location in North Chicago is not nearly as bad as people would have you believe. The campus is actually quite nice.

Originally posted by powermd
I'm not sure where our school gets the reputation people attribute to it. I suspect it has something to do with our formerly bottom-of-the-barrel GPA/MCATs. I would guess AP-turn-M1As have historically dragged down the average GPA/MCAT of the M1 class.

Yes...the AP class generally does come in with a lower GPA/MCAT score. As an AP who will soon be an M1A...I'm not here to debate the stats, blah blah blah. ;) So we'll drop that now.

Texas Guy...most people that I know didn't get into the AP program until the early summer. I wasn't accepted until a week before orientation. Hang tight b/c they wait to see what their waitlist movement is like, etc for the M1 class. How many people get in is really determined by how well they do in the classes. A majority that get the required GPA do get accepted...but it's not guaranteed. There are also a bunch of people...about 10 I'd say that have gotten in to other schools. This number may go higher but since May 15 isn't here yet...it's too soon to tell.

The area isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There is plenty to do around here when you have the time. It's all about exploring and finding those nice places to eat, etc. There will be plenty of us around that'll gladly tell you where to go.

And yes there is a Bank One ATM at our school.

Finally...welcome all! :clap:

Do people in the AP class usually apply to med schools while doing the AP program? I would think that missing classes for interviews would be especially difficult in this program.

hey guys,
I applied to the AP program also for this upcoming Fall. Anyone know when your suppose to apply to med school then for the following Fall. Im currently waitlisted at 2 schools so Im not sure what I should do? Would it be that bad if I put in my AMCAS app in July?

Originally posted by efjayen
Do people in the AP class usually apply to med schools while doing the AP program? I would think that missing classes for interviews would be especially difficult in this program.

Yup they do. Missing a day or two of lectures isn't that hard to do either sincy you're given all the notes at the beginning of the quarter. There are plenty of people around to help you out, also.

Hey all, I am a fellow APer this year at good ole CMS, and I am one of the few that were accepted to a different Med school. And I will be taking that spot at the other medical school come August. But for those considering the AP program, I would strongly back this program. If anything, it's something to do for a year that you can do to prove to other schools that you can do well in med school classes.

I was accepted way back in august and decided to stick the program out since it wasn't going to hurt me at all (except financially, but since Good ole' uncle sam is paying, it's really not a factor) . If anything it is going to help me next year (can you say easy A's? ) and i also get a M.S. degree. (which is pretty much useless though...doh!)

And for those waiting for acceptances to the AP program, just keep waiting. I was one of the few that got my acceptance to the AP program a month and a half before the program started.

Best of Luck to all applying!

K

By "Slammed on the boards" I meant slammed on the MESSAGE boards. Sorry for the confusion. It seems like everyone thinks Finch is this god awful place though - and since I've never been there, I wanted some feedback.

One question: If you guys in the AP program were comparing the program to either Gtown or BU - which would you choose? I feel like the main difference is that at Finch AP - most of the students go to Finch eventually if they get in anywhere. Whereas at BU or Gtown - some go on to BU or Gtown - but a whole bunch go other places as well.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't know too much about the other programs at BU or Gtown, but it is true that most of the APs end up returning for the M1a year, but Some (including myself) do get accepted to other schools and matriculate to them (even though we are repeating some of the classes).

But from what I have heard, the program at Gtown is SUPER competitive, w/ the M.S. students competing against each other (so the gunners really come out of the woodwork)

And w/ my personal experience at CMS, I do not believe this is the case.

So that's all from me....

K

TexasGuy, if you do a search, you will find TONS of info. comparing these programs. Good luck.

I thought the Gtown SMPers were supposed to be competing only against the actual M1 class? At least that's what I understood when I looked into it a while back. But from what I've heard it does seem to be an especially challenging program to do...

Hey Dr Will,

How big was your AP class last year? How many got into Finch? How many got into other medical schools? Thanks.

The class last year was about 80 people and around 55 were accepted. I'd say around 10 or less got in to other schools.

hey guys . . .

i'm still waiting on my finch decision . . . and i was just wondering . . . do you remember the name of the guy who coordinates the interviewing process? i seemed to have packed away all of my finch info -- and i wanted to drop an email.

thanks.

what a brutal neuro final....was that anatomy a killer or was it just me?......barely pullled a B, just barely..........thank god its over.....hopefully biochem/physio go smooth, good luck guys.

Does anyone know if AT&T cell phone service is ok around North Chicago? Thanks

Yup...Att has pretty good coverage in the area.

i hope this doesn't start any drama, but I just had to. Our (THE AP) AVERAGE was 77 on the Neuroscience/Neuroanatomy Final while the M1 average was 72 and we have the same courseload. so for all of you haters and for all you current/future AP's, props! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by anxiousmed
i hope this doesn't start any drama, but I just had to. Our (THE AP) AVERAGE was 77 on the Neuroscience/Neuroanatomy Final while the M1 average was 72 and we have the same courseload. so for all of you haters and for all you current/future AP's, props! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yup...I saw that too. Congrats to everyone who did well (M1's and AP's included). And for the AP haters...don't speak unless you're knowledgable on the subject.

Hey Guys,

are any of you planning on taking proficiency exams during orientation week? Seems like a good idea, but on the other hand, I want to enjoy these last few weeks before school begins.:D

what kind of activities are there during the orientation week for the AP program, and is there a lot of free time to get settled in? i wont' be able to move in until the weekend before orientation.

Last year there were tons of things planned to get to know your classmates. There was a night to one of the local pubs, bowling, a night you chose where you wanted to go, a trip downtown to one of Chicago's main clubs...etc. There is plenty of time to get oriented. I didn't find an apartment until orientation began and was still able to get settled before school started up.

Hey Dr. Will,

I was just accepted into the AP program and reading your posts have made it more convincing for me to head out to N. Chicago this year. But I was wondering, how stressful was the AP program for you? Were you studying 24/7 or do you get some free time? How competive are the students in AP? Lastly, do you have any recommendations on where to live? It seems like everyone lives in Waukegan. Thanks

Lemme tell you up front. The program is stressful. I unfortunately have seen friends not make it through the program. It's an intense program b/c you have to maintain that 3.0 gpa. This takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Be prepared to make lots of sacrifices. I didn't have much free time this quarter. The first two quarters weren't too bad.

As for competitiveness...no need for it in the AP class b/c our grades do NOT set the curve, well except for the graduate classes. But in the important ones, the medschool classes, there is no need for competition since the M1's set the curves.

As for living. Check out the surrounding Lake Bluff, Lake Forrest, North Chicago area. Also check out the new apartments the school has built. You don't wanna live in Waukegan...trust me.

manik,

i was just accepted to the AP program too. i was thinking about living in the new apartments on campus. dr will, have you seen the apts? are they worth the price?

thanks

I haven't seen the apartments myself since they aren't ready yet. They will be before school starts. I don't plan on living there personally. They seem small, and although everything is included, I don't wanna walk across a parking lot to go home. It's just too close to campus and I don't like the feeling of not getting away. But from what I've heard....everything is included, utilities, ethernet, laundry hook ups (for those that own washer/dryers) The prices seem to be competitive with the surrounding area.

Hey there...

Just to throw my 2 cents into it all...Im a former M1A (will be an M2 come this August). Anyways...Im hearing the dorms are filled up now so the best you can do is be put on a waiting list. Try and get in touch with Rebecca Durkin for info on this (she's the new housing coordinator).

As for the AP program....the program is legit and will work for you as long as you work for it. In other words...don't come in with the idea that you can cruise and mess around and that come the next year you'll be in med school. I mean there are some people that can manage to somehow do that...but the majority cannot. The program is very doable but you have to come in and be ready to be serious about your studies and about this opportunity.

BTW....Dr. Will....how'd things pan out with your classmates. Judging by your post I can tell you did well (congrats!), but how about the rest?

Oh just to add...

The apts are all either singles or doubles which are 2 bed/2bath. Both rooms are of equivalent side and each has it's own bathroom. With the kitchens they went all out in terms of putting in really big and high quality refrigerators and stoves, but I think in doing so overall kitchen space might have been lost. All rooms have ethernet and TV hookup (but still gotta pay for cable if you want it I believe) and there's no gas bill...it's lumped in with the electricity.

Also...there's supposed to be at least one study lounge per bldg (there's 3 bldgs) but this may even have changed to one per floor...not sure about this. Washer/dryer hookups exist (and the school was looking into some way to help students with renting washer/dryers for this purpose) but even if you dont make use of this, there will be common washer/dryers on the floor to use.

Not quite sure how the rest of my class faired. Didn't want to stick around to find out since I knew it would be a stressful time for many. As far as I know...those who I hung out with on a regular basis all did pretty well.

Hey Anxiousmed....dont mean to burst your bubble or anything but I gotta stand up for my classmates on here...you were misinformed about that average in neuro. From what I hear the AP avg was actually lower than the M1 avg...it was the MIS avg (all 10-12 of them or whatever) that was higher at a 77. Just wanna set that straight...

All this battling about averages and what class did better isn't giving CMS a very good reputation. I mean, it already pretty much is viewed as the worst medical school in the country by a ton of people on this message board (not me), so you CMS peeps may want to tone down the nit picking about who did better if you want to give CMS a good rep. I understand this is only a message board, but still, a lot of people base some of their decisions on what they read on SDN - and personally hearing people bicker about what year did better definitely turns me off to a school. HOpefully you guys aren't the norm there.

All this battling about averages and what class did better isn't giving CMS a very good reputation. I mean, it already pretty much is viewed as the worst medical school in the country by a ton of people on this message board (not me), so you CMS peeps may want to tone down the nit picking about who did better if you want to give CMS a good rep. I understand this is only a message board, but still, a lot of people base some of their decisions on what they read on SDN - and personally hearing people bicker about what year did better definitely turns me off to a school. HOpefully you guys aren't the norm there.

Well from time to time competition will unfortunately rear it's ugly head. Usually these types of convos are kept quiet. But I honestly think it stems from a previous thread that bashed the AP's, so no worries on this being the norm. As AP's, we're told that we have to "prove" ourselves. There is a certain amount of unspoken competition. Personally...I don't care about class averages. I care how I did, and I care that those around me did well.

Good to know Dr. Will - I imagine some people at CMS hate on the APs since they aren't in regular school yet - but if you bust it like you did and get in then you get the last laugh. I think the AP program is a great deal - I just wish it was in like Miami and not North Chitown.

I just wish it was in like Miami and not North Chitown.

As do I...as do I. But I don't think I would have made it through the program if it was.

hey dr will,

what do you think is best way to find an apartment out there? Also, why is waukegan such bad place to live? Thanks

Hey guys, I'm waiting on one waitlist decision but have withdrawn all acceptances except CMS. I really think that is where I will be in the fall. I already have an apartment in the area and since I am currently out of the country it would be really difficult to change schools now. Anyway, I am pretty excited about CMS.....the location doesn't bother me at all and after visiting there twice and speaking with students I think it is a pretty good place/program. However, it will be difficult to return to IL after living in California! I guess I will see you guys pretty soon since we are starting so early...anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Enjoy your summer!:)

Originally posted by manik
hey dr will,

what do you think is best way to find an apartment out there? Also, why is waukegan such bad place to live? Thanks

Well besides making a trip out to North Chicago to check the places out yourself, the best thing might be to call the places listed in the brochure Finch sends it's accepted students. I honestly can't give you more than that since I found a place when I got out to Chicago...lived in a motel for a couple days first.

As for Waukegan, most of the places out there aren't that great (yes it's cheap) and most places are far enough to make for a crappy drive everyday (you'll have to drive unless you live in the Woodlands). It's just not the best of areas really. You'll see for yourself ;)

Originally posted by opus03
Hey guys, I'm waiting on one waitlist decision but have withdrawn all acceptances except CMS. I really think that is where I will be in the fall. I already have an apartment in the area and since I am currently out of the country it would be really difficult to change schools now. Anyway, I am pretty excited about CMS.....the location doesn't bother me at all and after visiting there twice and speaking with students I think it is a pretty good place/program. However, it will be difficult to return to IL after living in California! I guess I will see you guys pretty soon since we are starting so early...anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Enjoy your summer!:)

We look forward to having you next year. :D I haven't heard anything about the white coat ceremony yet, and I only say that cuz this will be the first year they do it for the M1 class.

Anyways...I was hoping we could have some sort of SDN get together for all the M1's, M2's and AP's at some point during orientation. BBQ or something. It would be fun to put some faces to names.

Originally posted by Dr. Will
We look forward to having you next year. :D I haven't heard anything about the white coat ceremony yet, and I only say that cuz this will be the first year they do it for the M1 class.

Anyways...I was hoping we could have some sort of SDN get together for all the M1's, M2's and AP's at some point during orientation. BBQ or something. It would be fun to put some faces to names.

Sounds like fun!;)

IT says in the orientation package that we'll know when the ceremony is when we arrive so I guess I will call to try to get more info out of them....Thanks!

Dr. Will,
It was mostly due to your steadfastness (is this a word?) and enthusiasm for the CMS/Finch AP program that I finally decided to apply this weekend. Yep, you heard right, this weekend. I faxed in my application on Saturday after reading your post on Friday. However, I called into the admissions office this morning and they said that they normally don't accept faxed applications but since I had already mailed out my paper application, they'd be willing to accept it. :D
In your opinion, what do you think my chances of actual acceptance to the AP MS are this late in the application cycle? Is it rolling admission like med. school?
Also, I might be way off base here but since below your screen name, it says "Relaxing in Cali" am I correct in assuming that you're originally a CA resident? If so, how many schools did you end up applying to during this cycle while you were doing the AP MS? Did you find it difficult to apply and also do the program since it is so darn competitive?
I'm currently waitlisted at one med school and looking into various post-bacc./MS programs. However, I'm not sure if I want to apply right away or complete a post-bacc or MS and then apply for 2005. What do you think? Apologize for taking you away from your well-deserved down time but the weather is crappy here anyway. :p Thanks!!!! :love:

JZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz's...I PMed you

bump since there seems to be more questions

Woo hoo!

I'm so glad I finally found this thread. I just heard from the AP program yesterday and I am seriously considering it. I have some concerns though, and was wondering if you guys could help me out...I've pasted from a thread I had started earlier (before I discovered this one)

First of all, how competitive is this program? Do they take most of the applicants? What do they really look for in their applicants? I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to get some more insight into how they have designed the program and what kind of students go into it?

Where does this program stand compared to other such programs, particularly, Drexel and Gtown. From what I've read, this program seems far more secure and quick? What are the advantages for the other programs over this one?

Also, for those of you who are attending the program, what made you decide? What attracted you to this program and how did you hear about it? I just heard about this program through word of mouth basically, and finally received a letter from Finch describing the program (I had applied to CMS this past year).

Finally....those of you who've already done this program or a similar one....how would you rank this program? Is it just a way to buy your place in the med schl, and do some back breaking work for a year? I don't know...it sounds too good to be true....almost half the class gets into Finch Med....that sounds extraordinary....so why isn't everyone doing it? Why would you chose to go to a foreign med school instead? I'm a little skeptical because I feel that everyone out there should be trying this program - it seems to be almost as good as getting ino med schl - you just do it in 5 years instead of 4. And also, though the program is expensive, it seems like the cost is about as much as the cost for attending any private medical school.

What are some of the cons for this program? What is the financial aid situation like?

I know I sound very paranoid....but I'm trying to figure out if this is the right step for me. Also, I didn't mean to sound condescending about foreing med schls....I'm just trying to see what the advantage is?

Thanks a bunch!

Whoa...lots of questions and I'll see if I can answer some of them.

Basically the program is designed for the "unproven" You have to have competitive stats to be accepted into the program, but basically for one reason or another you weren't accepted into med school. It's kinda hard to explain.

How does it compare? Well if you attain the necessary GPA, your chances of acceptance are great. Out of the around 100 or so that started the program this year, about 50 should be accepted for the next academic year. I have a friend at Gtown...and apparently only 10 were accepted this year from their program, outta 150 or so (I'm not sure on this yet). I think the Drexel program is two years.

I heard from the program since I was rejected from Finch. I applied and was accepted. I had also applied to gtowns but ended up staying at Finch's after going through orientation.

This program is intense. It takes hard work and dedication. You really do earn your spot in the class. I saw many people go down this year b/c they weren't ready to make that commitment.

You'll get enough in loans to cover your expenses. It is expensive, that's for sure. But in the end, very worth it.

bumping again...come on people, use the search function ;)