Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Official Thread for Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine for the entering class of 2019 / DMD Class of 2023. This thread is being monitored by director of admissions, Dr. Emil Chuck, so keep all conversations here as professional in tone.

Information for competitive applicants
  • Website for Dental school admissions
  • Email [email protected] is strongly preferred. We do NOT answer application questions by phone to maintain applicant confidentiality. In your email, include your name and AADSAS ID#. This information is needed to verify your identity and maintain applicant confidentiality.
  • If you have submitted a request for an ADEA AADSAS Fee Assistance Program waiver, we prefer that you refrain from submitting your application until you have heard a decision. While we can issue refunds for applicants who receive the ADEA AADSAS FAP letter, we do not put anyone waiting for a response at a significant disadvantage.
  • Review of AADSAS verified/complete applications will begin with those applications for which all supplemental items have been received (fee, ALL letters of evaluation assigned by the applicant, desired DAT score). File review on incomplete applications or those applications with pending DAT scores will be suspended until all information has been received.
Links we expect all desirable applicants and interviewing candidates to have accessed
Key approximate dates
  • First invitations for interview for AADSAS 2019: July (middle to end), 2018.
  • Expected first day of interviews for AADSAS 2019: mid-August, 2018.
  • Expected AADSAS 2016 first offer date: Friday, December 1, 2018. Expected first offer deadline: January 2, 2019 (?).
  • Outstanding competing offers list released: March 1, 2019 (previously April 1 in past cycles).
  • Expected last day of interviews for AADSAS 2019: April (mid), 2019.
  • First day of mandatory orientation: Monday, July 29, 2019.
Link to interview prep: Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
@Mr.Smile12

1. The first "Website" link is broken
2. The "Recruitment Calendar" link is broken

Also, in the 2022 thread, you said you would rank alternates after the last interview. With orientation for the class 2022 being July 30th, is it safe to assume there will be no alternate ranking for the class of 2022?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what is the meaning of "outstanding competing offers list released"? Is that when you (as well as other schools) can see where else an applicant has been accepted?

Anybody know when interviews should start being sent out?
Just got an email today saying they are a little behind but they are hoping to get started sending out invitations by the end of July.

Just got an email today saying they are a little behind but they are hoping to get started sending out invitations by the end of July.

Just got the same one! I got a little excited from the email at first thinking it was an interview. Oh well!

Reactions: 1 user
If they’re on track of what their email said, then they should hopefully be giving some of us some food news in the next few days!

Did anyone else get an email about interview prep session?

Yup! Dr chuck tricks us again by sending a non-interview email
No joke, these guys are masters of stringing us along with all these emails they're sending out

Reactions: 4 users
No joke, these guys are masters of stringing us along with all these emails they're sending out

And it doesn’t help that every email title has the word “interview” in it!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the same email! I got excited for a sec! Lol

Reactions: 1 users
"We will be sending out August and September interview invites soon". How soon is "soon"? There is so much suspense…

Well he said he’d send them before August, and he needs to give OOS students times to coordinate travel plans, so the beginning of next week would be the latest IMO

Wooo got an invite here too !!! :D

Got one too! About time, we were reaching the point where case western could be viewed as the school who cried interview ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #2
School:
CWRU
Notification date: 8/3/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/6/18
Application complete date: 7/6/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.74, 3.79
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26 AA, 25 TS, 22 PAT, 26 RC
Interview date:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they send out all at once yesterday evening or will they be sending out more in the coming days for August/September interviews?

As far as I know, they send out interviews on a monthly basis. So then next round of interviews would be sent out in September. But maybe since the interviews went out so early in August, they might do another wave mid/late August.

Can any current students share how the interviews are formatted/how the vibe is? @artist2022 do you know of any active members that are current students??

Can any current students share how the interviews are formatted/how the vibe is? @artist2022 do you know of any active members that are current students??
I don't know any current students off the top of my head, but tiper15, fit2 and risaac3 were accepted last cycle and may be able to help :)

Looking through last year's thread, I believe KYDent will be attending.

LOL I'm honored to be mentioned haha.

Interview is 1 on 1, open file. You get 2 interviewers for around 30 mins each max. I think my first one was only 20 mins; my second one was a little over 30. It really depends on who you get to interview you though - one of my interviewers had the interview more closed file and the interview was interesting. Conversational definitely. They were super nice and friendly tbh.

Looks like all interviews were sent out to US residents atm!

I second what @tiper15 said. It's very much dependent on the person interviewing you. For me I had both open and closed file for my two interviews. They did not feel like an interview and it was very conversational which was refreshing, however they included a couple of generic questions in there. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that there was a lot of waiting and sitting around until your interviewer was ready to see you, so that could be good or bad depending on the type of person that you are. I personally would have preferred to get them over with quicker, still, not a deal breaker.

If I had an early application (literally completed in June), but didn't get an invite, is it a bad sign? Based on my stats, I thought I would make it to the interview stage, but I understand how random dental admissions is.

If I had an early application (literally completed in June), but didn't get an invite, is it a bad sign? Based on my stats, I thought I would make it to the interview stage, but I understand how random dental admissions is.

You’re still in game I’d say, but I wouldn’t necessarily agree that stats are everything that will guarantee an interview at a school. Just keep waiting, they’ll have more in coming months I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to know you are all paying attention. :) I can only share what the Committee allows me to share. I anticipate sending out more information about the Interview Prep session (finding/signing up, etc.) after ADEA AADSAS sends their email out about the opportunity.

Reactions: 4 users
What exactly do they mean by "supplemental portfolio document"

What exactly do they mean by "supplemental portfolio document"
Literally any kind of pdf of any additional document that you can put why you want to go to case in. Some people do just a paragraph or more about why you want to go. I believe they try and want you to be creative about it.
It was optional last year (dunno if that changed) but highly highly recommended. It's a good place to put things that didn't fit in your app properly that can contribute to why case.

I am so bummed! I just found out that for some reason my payment did not go through for the application fee! This whole time I thought it was paid; with it being so late in the cycle, would it be even worth it for me to apply here anymore?

I am so bummed! I just found out that for some reason my payment did not go through for the application fee! This whole time I thought it was paid; with it being so late in the cycle, would it be even worth it for me to apply here anymore?

With your stats, definitely yes, still apply

Is an invite to the social on eventbrite an interview invite?

I got an email from CWRU saying "we are missing at least one of the required items we need to begin the screening process: specifically, proof of payment of your supplemental fee (unless you received a Fee Assistance Program approval letter), your official score report of your latest Dental Admissions Test, and your required letters of evaluation (either an institutional/committee letter or two letters from science professors". I paid the supplemental fee and I have my DAT score and LOEs uploaded on AADSAS. Do I still have to send my DAT score and LOEs directly to CWRU?

Got my first invite of the cycle as a re-applicant!
Interview #1
School:
CWRU
Notification date: 9/7/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: TX
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/10/18
Application complete date: 7/24/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.26, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 AA, 21 TS, 23 PAT, 23 RC, nothing under 20
Interview date: TBD

If anyone is interviewing on September 28th and would like to split a hotel room please let me know.

Is an invite to the social on eventbrite an interview invite?

Yes

I got an email from CWRU saying "we are missing at least one of the required items we need to begin the screening process: specifically, proof of payment of your supplemental fee (unless you received a Fee Assistance Program approval letter), your official score report of your latest Dental Admissions Test, and your required letters of evaluation (either an institutional/committee letter or two letters from science professors". I paid the supplemental fee and I have my DAT score and LOEs uploaded on AADSAS. Do I still have to send my DAT score and LOEs directly to CWRU?
You shouldnt have to . Call or email them and show your receipt of payment.

Yes

You shouldnt have to . Call or email them and show your receipt of payment.

How do you know this “social event” is an interview invite? I’m just worried because it says “social, non-stressful”

How do you know this “social event” is an interview invite? I’m just worried because it says “social, non-stressful”

When I had to book my interview it was an eventbrite link as well. You can read the description of the event before you sign up.

Just got my invitation like 20 minutes ago!!
Thank you CWRU SODM :soexcited:

Status
Not open for further replies.