Official Emory Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on making your decisions! I'm still deciding, but maybe I'll join you all in a couple days. Emory is such a great place.

Members don't see this ad.

I just signed a lease yesterday on an apartment in Atlanta! :)

Kazazzle12 said:
I just signed a lease yesterday on an apartment in Atlanta! :)

which apartment complex was it? i've been looking at a few places on craigslist...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you all will adore Emory (or at least pretend like you do) as I am a student here.
I just have to comment on this supposed "awesome weather".
You are sadly mistaken if you think the weather here is any semblance of awesome. Its nice for about 4 or 5 weeks out of the year tops. It gets just as cold here during the winter as up north. But the summers are brutal.
Unless you like 90+ degree sticky humid yuckiness that lasts for weeks at a stretch, you will not find the weather here awesome. Its not even June yet, and its pretty uncomfortable to be outside during most of the day. At night is the worst because the air is stagnant, and hot, and teeming with mosquitoes and other lovely bugs (big ones).
Like I said, emory is great, atlanta is great, etc...and everyone here will welcome you with open arms. but I just HAD to say something about this "great weather" fallacy
Mind you, I'm from the north, went to school in New England, been through blizzards and such, so don't tell me about how bad winters are in your states

that is all :D

CristaGalli said:
Emory is really a place to go to school for at least 4 years.....everyone i have mentioned my acceptance to emory to, has had this smile on their face telling me how i would love it down there ( i am from philly)
Atlanta is a great metropolitan diverse city, weather is awesome, clinical education is awesome(grady etc..), students are generally relaxed, great resources etc....
My only gripe with emory is its lack of scholarship and need-based money for m1's and the stupid grading system. I personally am not worried academically, i just do not see the need for such a system. Infact, i think they are changing the system, but I think that wouldnt affect us.
All in all, I am more than likely going to be there this coming fall.

Colba55o said:
I'm sure you all will adore Emory (or at least pretend like you do) as I am a student here.
I just have to comment on this supposed "awesome weather".
You are sadly mistaken if you think the weather here is any semblance of awesome. Its nice for about 4 or 5 weeks out of the year tops. It gets just as cold here during the winter as up north. But the summers are brutal.
Unless you like 90+ degree sticky humid yuckiness that lasts for weeks at a stretch, you will not find the weather here awesome. Its not even June yet, and its pretty uncomfortable to be outside during most of the day. At night is the worst because the air is stagnant, and hot, and teeming with mosquitoes and other lovely bugs (big ones).
Like I said, emory is great, atlanta is great, etc...and everyone here will welcome you with open arms. but I just HAD to say something about this "great weather" fallacy
Mind you, I'm from the north, went to school in New England, been through blizzards and such, so don't tell me about how bad winters are in your states

that is all :D

You are thoroughly crazy.

First, on winters. An atlanta "winter" bears absolutely no resemblance to a Northern winter. It rarely if ever drops below 32, and snow occurs maybe once a year (and only about an inch).

I can't count the number of times I've played golf in a short sleeve shirt in December. Try doing that up north.

The summers are hot, yes. But that's why you have the wonderful invention known as the pool. If you consider warm weather and sunny skies terrible, I don't really know how to help you.

Even if the summers are too hot for you, that's only really from late May to August. September thru November, and March thru May are almost always wonderful.

I lived in Atl for 18 years, then went up North for college. I can now say that Atlanta's weather thoroughly kicks ass.

ND2005 said:

First, on winters. An atlanta "winter" bears absolutely no resemblance to a Northern winter. It rarely if ever drops below 32, and snow occurs maybe once a year (and only about an inch).

I can't count the number of times I've played golf in a short sleeve shirt in December. Try doing that up north.

The summers are hot, yes. But that's why you have the wonderful invention known as the pool. If you consider warm weather and sunny skies terrible, I don't really know how to help you.

Even if the summers are too hot for you, that's only really from late May to August. September thru November, and March thru May are almost always wonderful.

I lived in Atl for 18 years, then went up North for college. I can now say that Atlanta's weather thoroughly kicks ass.

Yeah I have to call shenanigans on this whole Atlanta having crappy weather thing. There's no way it gets as cold down there as it does up here in Jersey.

And yes it does get ridiculously hot and humid and sticky in the summer, but I still prefer that to cold, dry and windy up here during the winter. I can't wait to get down there :cool:

As an aside you can see that Atlantans are just as rude and sarcastic as us yankees supposedly are.
Did it ever occur to you that not everyone has access to a pool or time to lounge around all day at a pool if they did have access to one?
It's only the people fortunate enough to be able to afford amenities like pools, central A/C (plus high electric bills) that think hotter is better.
It may not get as cold here as it does in new england, but it gets cold enough that people complain about it, and the high gas bills. And if you actually play golf here with short sleeves in December, I don't think you're in any position to call anyone crazy.
Now to relegate this to your level, I lived in the NE my entire life then came here for med school and can now say that Atlanta's weather thoroughly sucks ass.
As does its sad excuse for a public transportation system, its crazy traffic problem, which will just get worse, and last but not least, its laughable baseball team.
"Ya'll" are just mad becuz you lost that pesky little civil war, haha :cool:

yeah so this posters attitude pissed me off so I'll add another thing.
Check on weather.com and compare the average low temps throughout the year between NYC and Atlanta and what do you find? a difference of not more than 4 degrees in any month. Granted, the average highs are definitely higher in ATL, but my point was that it does get uncomfortably cold here .
Not to mention, the only fun thing about winter...SNOW is pretty much non-existent here.

ND2005 said: