Official Entering COLLEGE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the organator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us who haven't spent an hour in a college classroom and are already stressing about med school apps.

Members don't see this ad.

the organator said:
For those of us who haven't spent an hour in a college classroom and are already stressing about med school apps.
......shouldn't be.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa! :scared: Chill the heck out, or you're never gonna make it. Enjoy your college years, cuz you're NEVER gonna have those opportunities again. Freakin' a.

Come on guys... I was just joking about already 'stressing' about applications. I'm just perusing these forums now to get an idea of what I'm in for, and to learn from other people's experience.

I figure I'll have a lot less stress when it does come time for the applications if I plan ahead now and don't make mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

I only started reading these forums AFTER I finished all my applications. They have a tendency to make you perseverate on this process; just be careful! Enjoy college! It's so fun. Even when you're pre-med.

the organator said:
Come on guys... I was just joking about already 'stressing' about applications. I'm just perusing these forums now to get an idea of what I'm in for, and to learn from other people's experience.

I figure I'll have a lot less stress when it does come time for the applications if I plan ahead now and don't make mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

Yeah sounds all fun and innocent now, but in a few months, you'll find yourself doing some non-stop lurkage on SDN and posting at 4:11AM in the morning because you can't stop worrying about LORs, GPA, MCATs, AMCAS, etc etc. Do yourself a favor, this is no place for high schoolers entering college!

Ditto, get out and get a life... if you've been there done that then fine... but if your just entering college live a little bit go out have your first dozen drinks or such... feel what its like to wake up with a hangover, hit on girls/guys/others when your drunk and can blame the alcohol on your motives. LIVE pre-med is not the end of the world in college... but some people won't understand... come back mid way through sophomore year then lets talk.

I feel old after reading this thread....anyone else?

I applaud those who wish to plan for the future. After reading through this site, you find many people who "didn't do well" in early years and end up doing a post-bacc or stressing due to a low GPA.

To the OP: pick through the threads for advice. However, let's summarize some of this for you:

1. Major in what you like, not what the premed office says you have to.

2. Take a bunch of easier classes early on so you can have a lighter load during tough semesters.

3. Be sure to take time for yourself - exercise regularly, and have at least one night for just fun.

4. Do not get on the wrong side of the law. Background checks are becoming commonplace.

5. Be careful with your finances. Some schools do credit checks.

6. If you have trouble with a class, GET HELP EARLY. This includes office hours, tutoring, study groups, etc.

7. GO TO YOUR CLASSES AND PAY ATTENTION. Do your homework (on time). Study throughout the semester, not just the night before an exam.

Make sure you are taking all the classes you might need to apply to the schools you are interested in. Some require calculus. Some require genetics. Some require biochemistry. Don't be cut out of the application process just because you didn't take the class you needed for THAT school.

Welcome, and good luck. Good study habits, time for fun, and discipline will get you far in the medical world.

To the rest of you, is it so hard to help a person starting out? I thought this was "PRE-allo" forum. I think the OP definitely qualifies as "pre-allo". Quit being gunners (or slackers now that you've applied and/or been accepted) and give some decent advice and encouragement.

ShyRem said:
To the rest of you, is it so hard to help a person starting out? I thought this was "PRE-allo" forum. I think the OP definitely qualifies as "pre-allo". Quit being gunners (or slackers now that you've applied and/or been accepted) and give some decent advice and encouragement.
We're encouraging the OP to NOT be a gunner by freaking out over little things this far in advance.