This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the input! Do you think I have a shot at any of the other programs on my list?

I'm guessing you will get a couple of the Baylor, Brown, Colorado, Emory, Yale crew as well but it's very hard to predict

Members don't see this ad.

US MD graduating 2019, not a US citizen, will need a visa

Step 1: 260s
Step 2: 260s
AOA: yes
Honors in most clerkships including IM
Pass in IM Sub-I :( (no HP in 4th year)
2 publications, few presentations

Applied to about 40 programs, including several low-tier community programs. Hoping to match in Midwest. What are my chances at places like U of Michigan? Would my visa requirements put me at a considerable disadvantage even if I graduated from US med school?

US MD graduating 2019, not a US citizen, will need a visa

Step 1: 260s
Step 2: 260s
AOA: yes
Honors in most clerkships including IM
Pass in IM Sub-I :( (no HP in 4th year)
2 publications, few presentations

Applied to about 40 programs, including several low-tier community programs. Hoping to match in Midwest. What are my chances at places like U of Michigan? Would my visa requirements put me at a considerable disadvantage even if I graduated from US med school?
dude no, you don't apply to low tier community, you apply at least mid tier university programs. 260s x2 as US MD with pub and AOA? dude you have a shot at Harvard MGH....the VISA issue is not that great of a deal if you're OK with J1 visa (which doesn't make programs pay for it, and pretty much every university offers it)

What is this 260s applying to low tier community nonsense, am I being trolled?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I’m a pathology resident at Johns Hopkins that finally admitted I would be happiest doing IM. I went to med school with the goal of being a pathologist, but my wonderful experiences in IM and heme/onc along with less than spectacular experiences in path have convinced me to reapply on ERAS.

I know I’m pushing my luck here. I went to not a very well known school in Texas. On STEP1, I got a 232, honored OB/GYN and 2 preclinical courses. The problem is I bombed STEP2CK with a 221. I had been volunteered and accepted a path rotation when I should have been studying (the rotation was kind of a drag too) and pretty much only studied for 5 days before.

What IM residency programs do you think would consider me?

dude no, you don't apply to low tier community, you apply at least mid tier university programs. 260s x2 as US MD with pub and AOA? dude you have a shot at Harvard MGH....the VISA issue is not that great of a deal if you're OK with J1 visa (which doesn't make programs pay for it, and pretty much every university offers it)

What is this 260s applying to low tier community nonsense, am I being trolled?

Not trolling. I did apply to MGH and rest but was not sure if they were a reach due to visa requirements. Thank you for your response.

Not sure if this is the right place for this...what should a M1 who is at a low tier US MD school be doing if they want to match in top 20 IM->cards/onc (currently am doing research, and have 5 publications to my name, all second or third author). I know step 1 is going to be a huge factor in this. Any other things that one could do to get ahead in the process?

Not sure if this is the right place for this...what should a M1 who is at a low tier US MD school be doing if they want to match in top 20 IM->cards/onc (currently am doing research, and have 5 publications to my name, all second or third author). I know step 1 is going to be a huge factor in this. Any other things that one could do to get ahead in the process?
You're already ahead of the average person on having good research. Remember that posters also count as pubs

The most important factors are going to be step 1 (and 2 if you take it before eras deadline), rank if it exists at your school, clinical grades (esp in IM), and AOA. I would say you have a solid shot at a top 20 if you get a 240+ on step 1 and honors most of your rotations (definitely IM). If you want to be competitive for a top 10 (or big 4) from a low tier, you likely need more like a 250+ on step, with AOA also really helping.

It depends on what your school prioritizes in deciding AOA, but most schools place a lot of importance in research. Based on the track you're on research wise, I think you would be very competitive for AOA if you were to be eligible for it, so really focus on doing well in class. AOA is a HUGE boost

You're already ahead of the average person on having good research. Remember that posters also count as pubs

The most important factors are going to be step 1 (and 2 if you take it before eras deadline), rank if it exists at your school, clinical grades (esp in IM), and AOA. I would say you have a solid shot at a top 20 if you get a 240+ on step 1 and honors most of your rotations (definitely IM). If you want to be competitive for a top 10 (or big 4) from a low tier, you likely need more like a 250+ on step, with AOA also really helping.

It depends on what your school prioritizes in deciding AOA, but most schools place a lot of importance in research. Based on the track you're on research wise, I think you would be very competitive for AOA if you were to be eligible for it, so really focus on doing well in class. AOA is a HUGE boost
Thanks for the advice! Might sound dumb, but when is AOA determined usually? Can't find any info on my school.

Thanks for the advice! Might sound dumb, but when is AOA determined usually? Can't find any info on my school.
After 2nd year and then again after 3rd year. Again some schools vary on this, but generally you will be invited to apply if you are in the top 25% of the class during those two times. 16% of your class ultimately will be inducted, with half after MS2 and half after MS3

Members don't see this ad :)
Frieda said your step 1 avg was >245 iirc. Would mid 230s but upper 260s step 2 be competitive for your program? DO.
Yes, indeed. We’ll have some high end scorers who want to stay here despite that they could go wherever, skewing the averages, but yes you would be suitable and strongly considered.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! First time posting on SDN. I am a 3rd year med student going to a top 20 school on the East Coast hoping to match IM at an academic program in California. I consider myself a CA resident (lived in NorCal for > 10 years before med school, still own a house there, and parents in CA). My main stats are:

Step 1 253; planning to take Step 2 next Sep/Oct
Honors in the three clerkships I've done so far (medicine, ob/gyn, peds), five more clerkships pending
1 summer project without pubs, and 1 other ongoing project that likely won't result in publications
No outstanding ECs

Knowing the competitiveness of California programs, I feel that my stats are average at best and would like to know what I should do to improve my chances, other than trying to do well on Step 2 and rest of my clerkships. Although I would love to match in NorCal, I don't think I realistically have a shot at Stanford or UCSF given my lackluster research/ECs. If the research situation does not improve, would I have a chance at the "less" competitive programs such as UCSD, UC Davis, and USC? My research project is lab-based and I can barely find any time to work on it during 3rd year which is part of the reason why I am not making much progress. Is there any type of research that you would recommend I do to hopefully result in publications? Thank you all for your input!

I guess I have to thank my lucky stars that I got interviews at UC Davis and USC with a step 1 score almost 50 points lower than yours :laugh: Yes, I didn't end up at those programs but I also didn't rank them higher than where I ultimately matched due to personal reasons in the end. This experience was from the 2015 cycle but I was also coming from a top 20 on the east coast but without honors in medicine and without personal connections to CA (also didn't have a great class rank). I did have a moderate amount of research but I still think you are at a much better position than I was at. I agree UCSF/Stanford/UCLA are crapshoots for anyone but I think SD, Davis, and USC should be attainable. The H in medicine will go a long way. Get some good letters. For research you can ask around and see if any residents/fellows are doing some retrospective study that's nearing completion so you can maybe spend a few hours on it a week and be like 2nd or 3rd author on a poster/abstract, or even a paper by the time it's time to submit ERAS. My experience as a resident working with 3rd year med students though is that they tend to be gung ho while they are on their easy rotations (not sure what rotation you are on now to be posting on SDN) but then all of a sudden surgery hits and they stop responding to my emails ;) I generally think lab-based research is very difficult to have quick results as a med student or even a resident so I ran away from it after undergrad, but hey, YMMV.

A 253 with an honors in IM from a top 20 school isn’t “average” competitiveness for Cali programs

Hey guys, I already posted this on the other IM thread but I wanted to get more feedback on this.

I applied on Sept 12, to about 260 programs, and have a couple of acknowledgements and a few rejections. Am I screwed?

Step 1: 215 (was ill during the test)
Step 2CK: 240
Step 2CS: pass
all first attempts
USCE: 10 months total, 3 months clerkship
Research: was a research assistant with BU, and a case report
YOG: Dec 2016
citizen US IMG
4 US LORs
Step 3: planning on finishing it in April
applied to California as well

Yeah its not the greatest lineup, but I'm hoping its enough.

Hello everyone! First time posting on SDN. I am a 3rd year med student going to a top 20 school on the East Coast hoping to match IM at an academic program in California. I consider myself a CA resident (lived in NorCal for > 10 years before med school, still own a house there, and parents in CA). My main stats are:

Honors in the three clerkships I've done so far (medicine, ob/gyn, peds), five more clerkships pending
1 summer project without pubs, and 1 other ongoing project that likely won't result in publications
No outstanding ECs

Knowing the competitiveness of California programs, I feel that my stats are average at best and would like to know what I should do to improve my chances, other than trying to do well on Step 2 and rest of my clerkships. Although I would love to match in NorCal, I don't think I realistically have a shot at Stanford or UCSF given my lackluster research/ECs. If the research situation does not improve, would I have a chance at the "less" competitive programs such as UCSD, UC Davis, and USC? My research project is lab-based and I can barely find any time to work on it during 3rd year which is part of the reason why I am not making much progress. Is there any type of research that you would recommend I do to hopefully result in publications? Thank you all for your input!

That top 20 med school mentality must’ve gotten to you.

Consider USC and UC Davis safeties. They all will be except UCLA, Stanford, UCSF.

No outstanding ECs

Agree with Anicetus. You're guaranteed to match in Cali if and only UCSF/Stanford are reaches in Northern Cali. Without that being said, those 2 programs do tend to value research higher and you should reach out to residents/fellows who have ongoing projects that need manpower and get your name onto abstracts/presentations/manuscripts.

Hey guys, I already posted this on the other IM thread but I wanted to get more feedback on this.

I applied on Sept 12, to about 260 programs, and have a couple of acknowledgements and a few rejections. Am I screwed?

Step 1: 215 (was ill during the test)
Step 2CK: 240
Step 2CS: pass
all first attempts
USCE: 10 months total, 3 months clerkship
Research: was a research assistant with BU, and a case report
YOG: Dec 2016
citizen US IMG
4 US LORs
Step 3: planning on finishing it in April
applied to California as well

Yeah its not the greatest lineup, but I'm hoping its enough.

You're not screwed. It's still early.

3rd year DO student.
USMLE step 1: 210, COMLEX 1 was 535.
Have no research besides one study our school makes us do (and was not first author on that).
Lots of community volunteering though.
Interested in either FM or IM.

I know I can't be picky but any advice on how to go about matching IM in either California or Texas would be appreciated. Community programs will most likely be my best bet.

Will apply to 100+ programs if need be.

I don't wanna go to the east coast. :(

Thank you for your time!

3rd year DO student.
USMLE step 1: 210, COMLEX 1 was 535.
Have no research besides one study our school makes us do (and was not first author on that).
Lots of community volunteering though.
Interested in either FM or IM.

I know I can't be picky but any advice on how to go about matching IM in either California or Texas would be appreciated. Community programs will most likely be my best bet.

Will apply to 100+ programs if need be.

I don't wanna go to the east coast. :(

Thank you for your time!

There's a crapload of community programs in both states. Apply to all and pray. But seriously you're a third year? do well on your rotations and do much better on your second set of boards.

What are some good, reputable programs that will consider DO's and what are ones to completely avoid?

Currently a 3rd year, just trying to get a feel on where to start looking / how realistic to be

Step 1: 255+ / Comlex 750+
Top 10% of class
10+ Publications; 3 of which are 1st author, 3 are 2nd author then a couple 3rd/4th (3 publications in #1 journals of their respective field, couple of other higher end journals.) Then have some poster presentations (5+)
1 research grant through crohn's and colitis foundation / couple of school scholarships / involvement in other research grants
you got some really impressive application, I'd go to Freida and pick out the upper mid-high tier university programs (like Case, UC Davis, UC Irvin, UPMC, Mayo, try your luck at places like Emory, Dartmouth, Brown too) and the strong community programs (Cedar sinai, CCF) that took even ONE DO before. This tell you that they most likely didn't filter us out, and apply to those programs. I think you have a great shot!

Hey guys,

I never post on here but I really wanted some clarification. So on step 1 my NBME average was 238 but just honestly had a HORRIBLE day. Got a 262 on 2CK which I'm excited about!

I kind of gave up hope for a competitive IM residency, but was gonna see if my step 2 score will give me back a decent shot at a mid-upper tier IM program. Thanks!

Long time lurker here,
STEP1: 226
STEP2CK: Pending (Mid-October)
IM Clerkship: P (our school is stingy as hell with H's and HP's), other clerkships HP/H's
Sub-I: Honors
Research: 1 pub 1 poster
Medical school: Mid-tier allopathic school in midwest
EC's: lots of unique leadership and hundreds of volunteer hours

I applied to 55 programs and am looking for a mid-tier university program. I haven't received any interview invites except my home institution. I had a few emergencies during third year which caused my delayed STEP2 and poor IM score which I explained in my MSPE. At what point should I begin worrying and at what point should I reach out to programs with interest?

Long time lurker here,
STEP1: 226
STEP2CK: Pending (Mid-October)
IM Clerkship: P (our school is stingy as hell with H's and HP's), other clerkships HP/H's
Sub-I: Honors
Research: 1 pub 1 poster
Medical school: Mid-tier allopathic school in midwest
EC's: lots of unique leadership and hundreds of volunteer hours

I applied to 55 programs and am looking for a mid-tier university program. I haven't received any interview invites except my home institution. I had a few emergencies during third year which caused my delayed STEP2 and poor IM score which I explained in my MSPE. At what point should I begin worrying and at what point should I reach out to programs with interest?
Mid-November

That’s a bit of a relief. This week was much quieter than I was hoping.

May I ask what's considered a quite week? Just curious.
Well, I only got one invite this week. I only had 3 prior, but for some reason thought October would start with a bang. I’m not a top-tier candidate, but I also applied accordingly. I think I’m just being impatient.

Well, I only got one invite this week. I only had 3 prior, but for some reason thought October would start with a bang. I’m not a top-tier candidate, but I also applied accordingly. I think I’m just being impatient.
Hmm I see... Thanks for the reply. I got one this week as well.

don't worry, I got only 1 this week as well. I actually looked up the universities I applied to, and many of them state that they START reviewing candidates on Oct 1st..

don't worry, I got only 1 this week as well. I actually looked up the universities I applied to, and many of them state that they START reviewing candidates on Oct 1st..
Thanks for sharing, man. I’m sure I just need to take it easy, and remind myself it’s all going to work out just fine.

Mid-November

GutOnc, thank you very much for your insight!
Will a high STEP2CK score in Mid-October be too late to be considered for interviews?

Which mid-tier programs (in the Northeast, Midwest, Southeast) would you recommend for applicants with stats like mine?

Could some give me a realistic assessment of my chances.
Non US IMG ( need visa)
YOG - 5
Step 1 - 245
Step 2 -244
Step 2 CS - Passed on 2nd attempt
My two big red bleeders are my attempt on CS and my YOG. Then, there's the visa req
Have applied to 44 IM programs and 17 FM programs. Mainly low tier community progs. The number seems small because most programs explicitly state they don't want a candidate who has had an attempt on any of the steps.:(:(
Do I just ignore their requirements and apply anyway?
Honestly just want to match into anything anywhere

Plz help
(Barely) Top 40 US Med School
Step 1 - Mid 240s
Step 2 - yet to take
Grades: Mostly HPs with a few Hs, HP in IM, no Ps, no AOA
Research/ECs/LORs: Check the boxes but probably average

Dream is one of the Big 4 in NYC (SO works there and can't move somewhere else, would make my life far more difficult if I didn't match nearby) but I could live with a lower ranked program with a good fellowship match list (don't want to do primary care). How well do I need to do on Step 2?
Id say at least 10 pts higher to have a shot at big 4 - Getting 260+ would be really helpful. And, it's doable - best of luck. I definitely recommend having your score back before applications go out. Otherwise, you should be competitive for other NYC programs

Plz help
Step 1 - Mid 240s
Step 2 - yet to take

Dream is one of the Big 4 in NYC (SO works there and can't move somewhere else, would make my life far more difficult if I didn't match nearby) but I could live with a lower ranked program with a good fellowship match list (don't want to do primary care). How well do I need to do on Step 2?
1. 250+ on 2CK
2. H on your SubI
3. Find out who you have to sleep with to get AOA at your school (although your SO might object to that).

Also, unless your SO is the mayor of NYC, s/he can get pretty much the same job in a lot of different cities. Just because NYC is a big finance/art/whatever hub doesn't mean you can't do the same thing somewhere else.

Plz help
Step 1 - Mid 240s
Step 2 - yet to take

NYC isn’t the only place that has jobs nor is it the center of the universe

That aside having the HP in IM hurts a little. Honors on your sub I and a higher step 2 CK will help.

Is it too late to add IM programs? Making a late switch from another specialty and hoping I'm not screwed.

Is it too late to add IM programs? Making a late switch from another specialty and hoping I'm not screwed.
you might have some luck with the new ones but don't hope for much. I added ~15 programs back in Oct. only heard back from 1 of them. I got most of my interviews by the end of Oct, by November the invites I've gotten are far and few in between....

Home institution: top 10
Step 1: 239
Step 2 CK/CS: pending

Honors in IM, glowing evaluations encouraging medicine as a specialty

Honors in neuro, OB/gyn, psych, FM
HP in peds, surgery

Research: year of basic science; will have co-authored review by end; presentations at national conferences; research thesis

ECs: interesting, not run of the mill — won’t go into detail though

Other: first generation college, first gen medical professional

LORs: superb letters from IM faculty, department, and research PI

WAMC at top programs across the country?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Home institution: top 10
Step 1: 239
Step 2 CK/CS: pending

Honors in IM, glowing evaluations encouraging medicine as a specialty

Honors in neuro, OB/gyn, psych, FM
HP in peds, surgery

Research: year of basic science; will have co-authored review by end; presentations at national conferences; research thesis

ECs: interesting, not run of the mill — won’t go into detail though

Other: first generation college, first gen medical professional

LORs: superb letters from IM faculty, department, and research PI

WAMC at top programs across the country?

No chance. Better apply all community programs

That’s funny but I’m serious lol

My sarcasm is partly because you clearly know the answer. Top 10 school, honors in everything that matters, and an above average step 1 score with plenty of research? Come on man. It’s like a high school student who’s top ranked at a top school with a 1600 SAT and soooooo wants to go to Harvard and asking if he’ll get an interview offer there.

Apply and find out. Keep some other upper tiers and some mid tiers as safeties.

My sarcasm is partly because you clearly know the answer. Top 10 school, honors in everything that matters, and an above average step 1 score with plenty of research? Come on man. It’s like a high school student who’s top ranked at a top school with a 1600 SAT and soooooo wants to go to Harvard and asking if he’ll get an interview offer there.

Apply and find out. Keep some other upper tiers and some mid tiers as safeties.

Well, I guess it’s worth throwing in an interesting detail that may or may not change the scenario: I have an incomplete on my transcript while on an unrelated clinical rotation due to illness; I finished the rotation with honors. This will all be explained in my MSPE. Does this affect my chances?

Well, I guess it’s worth throwing in an interesting detail that may or may not change the scenario: I have an incomplete on my transcript while on an unrelated clinical rotation due to illness; I finished the rotation with honors. This will all be explained in my MSPE. Does this affect my chances?

Still no.

Hello, all. This is kind of a silly WAMC question, because your answers won't impact how I proceed here, but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, so I'd really appreciate your advice.
  • US IMG (citizen) at a western European school
  • Step 1: 245
  • Step 2CK: 255
  • Step 2CS: Pass
  • HP in paediatrics, otherwise all Honors. Grades = top 5% of the class.
  • 3 months USCE; 1 IM sub-i, 1 paeds elective, 1 IM subspecialty elective
  • 1 very strong IM LOR from a doctor I've worked closely with in my home institution; 3 hopefully strong IM LORs from US physicians
  • Publications: 1 basic science, 1 clinical review, 1 poster in QI
  • ECs: 3 club leadership positions, some nerdy hobbies. Nothing "special" (i.e., not a professional opera singer or an Olympic athlete, lmao)
  • Niche medical interest + underrepresented in medicine
I have interviews at 4 academic institutions that traditionally do not interview/match IMGs. They're programs with a strong emphasis on diversity, and suspect that that last bullet point contributed positively for me (for once!).

I'm afraid that I'm a pity invite -- a "diversity candidate" that they don't actually intend to rank, regardless of my performance at my interview -- although I'm certainly hopeful. I know most AMGs match to one of their top choices, but should I expect to seriously fall down my rank list? Or is it reasonable to think, now that I have an interview, my chance is as good as an AMGs? I'll b

Hello, all. This is kind of a silly WAMC question, because your answers won't impact how I proceed here, but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, so I'd really appreciate your advice.
  • US IMG (citizen) at a western European school
  • Step 1: 245
  • Step 2CK: 255
  • Step 2CS: Pass
  • HP in paediatrics, otherwise all Honors. Grades = top 5% of the class.
  • 3 months USCE; 1 IM sub-i, 1 paeds elective, 1 IM subspecialty elective
  • 1 very strong IM LOR from a doctor I've worked closely with in my home institution; 3 hopefully strong IM LORs from US physicians
  • Publications: 1 basic science, 1 clinical review, 1 poster in QI
  • ECs: 3 club leadership positions, some nerdy hobbies. Nothing "special" (i.e., not a professional opera singer or an Olympic athlete, lmao)
  • Niche medical interest + underrepresented in medicine
I have interviews at 4 academic institutions that traditionally do not interview/match IMGs. They're programs with a strong emphasis on diversity, and suspect that that last bullet point contributed positively for me (for once!).

I'm afraid that I'm a pity invite -- a "diversity candidate" that they don't actually intend to rank, regardless of my performance at my interview -- although I'm certainly hopeful. I know most AMGs match to one of their top choices, but should I expect to seriously fall down my rank list? Or is it reasonable to think, now that I have an interview, my chance is as good as an AMGs? I'll b

If our responses don't "impact how I proceed here", then why bother asking the question? It's like ordering a d-dimer in a patient with high pretest probability of PE.

In all seriousness, if you get an interview, you have a shot at matching. Rank programs in your order of preference and trust the process (I'm talking about Joel Embiid and not Markelle Fultz).

If our responses don't "impact how I proceed here", then why bother asking the question? It's like ordering a d-dimer in a patient with high pretest probability of PE.

In all seriousness, if you get an interview, you have a shot at matching. Rank programs in your order of preference and trust the process (I'm talking about Joel Embiid and not Markelle Fultz).
Well, because while I'll rank my top choices at the top regardless, I'd like to steel myself to the possibility of not matching if the consensus is that that's what's most likely. I don't have a good sense of what's reasonable doubt vs. med student neuroticism, and I don't want to worry unnecessarily or delude myself and get caught off guard. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thank you for your response.