This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. I’m a DO hoping to get some interviews at a mid tier university IM program. My step 2 (248) is only 2 points above my step 1. I listed my other relevant stats below

DO applicant from newer school

Step 1- 246/level 1-679
Step 2-248/ level 2-?

Gpa is like 3.8-9

Class rank is top 10%

Basic research experience with co-author on a couple unpublished studies/case reports No pubs. Graduate degree with research thesis

All Honors except for one high pass during third year. Honored both IM. Great comments for MSPE.

Lots of volunteering

Good letters of rec. 2 IM, 1 Critical care

My real question is if my step 2 being sub 250 is going to kill my chances at a good program with my other stuff being pretty good..?

Thanks for sone honest advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm putting this out into the ether... not sure how responsive this forum is but I can't focus..

Took Step 2 CK yesterday, feel terrible (worst then I felt after step 1)

4th year DO student
Step 1: 208
Level 1: 445
Red flag (year off, between M1 and M2 due to medical issues)
A/High Pass in all but 2 rotations (peds, ob)

I take Level 2 in 5 days. I feel broken after step 2, it was supposed to be my one last shot at turning things around. I know I know, wait for my score but I know it didn’t go well.

I want to match into IM. My fiancé is a PGY-1 at a mid-tier IM program and it would be amazing if somehow I could match at that program. Tried to get a Sub-I there, but they rejected my VSAS application (probably due to my low scores :/ ). What do? Am i being realistic about my goal of matching into IM. FM rotation was alright but I have no interest in peds/ob and it would be nice to have some fellowship opportunities (like endo, ID)

Thank you to anyone in advance who can calm me down… Much love

I'm putting this out into the ether... not sure how responsive this forum is but I can't focus..

4th year DO student

I take Level 2 in 5 days. I feel broken after step 2, it was supposed to be my one last shot at turning things around. I know I know, wait for my score but I know it didn’t go well.

I want to match into IM. My fiancé is a PGY-1 at a mid-tier IM program and it would be amazing if somehow I could match at that program. Tried to get a Sub-I there, but they rejected my VSAS application (probably due to my low scores :/ ). What do? Am i being realistic about my goal of matching into IM. FM rotation was alright but I have no interest in peds/ob and it would be nice to have some fellowship opportunities (like endo, ID)

Whether or not you’re being realistic depends on whether or not you’re expecting to match into IM (most likely, especially with large amounts of programs community heavy) or you’re expecting to match into a mid tier academic program (quite unlikely). What you need to do especially if you don’t want to be far from your fiancé is to apply in IM programs I would say at least 50? (Others DO applicants can weigh in) in the same general area and cities nearby. Your step 2 will also matter if it’s not a significant improvement from step 1 you might want to consider a back up with FM programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

4th year DO student

You should ask yourself what is most important to you. If being with your fiance is the most important, then you should apply to all IM/FM programs wherever he/she is (and if he is in a desirable location, then you should also add programs in nearby cities). If getting training at the best IM program is the most important, then you should apply to 100+ low-tier IM and community programs broadly. The choice is up to you.

Hello! What's your suggestions? (# of programs, university vs university-affiliated vs community-based)
non-US IMG (need visa), YOG 2017. 4 american LORs (from 2 non-teaching hospitals and 1 private practice).
STEP 1: 242
STEP 2 CK: 254 CS: PASS
all first attempts.

Grateful for any feedback!

Low to mid-tier university programs. Decent step scores but you'll need something else to be considered for mid-tier programs.

Hi there,

4th year DO student hoping to get some advice.

Goal: potentially go into GI.

School: Midwest DO
Hometown: Vegas
Step 1: 243
Step 2: 241
COMLEX 1: 581
COMLEX 2: pending
COMLEX PE: 1st pass
Pre-clinical rank: bottom quartile
Clinical grades (H/P/F): H (Surgery and OBGYN), pass (IM, FM, Peds, Psy, OMM). EM/Neuro not required.
Only undergrad research, no pubs or posters.
Some leadership experience and EC during med school.
4 Letters (2 IM, 2 GI)
No red flags/failures otherwise.

What are some programs (preferably on the West coast, but care more about quality than location) that I would be competitive for?

Reaches: UW, Colorado, OHSU, Baylor, UChicago, Mayo
University programs: Phoenix, Tucson, Mayo AZ, Loma, UCI, UC Davis, New Mexico, KU, Connecticut, GW, Georgetown, Rush, UIC, Loyola, UT (Houston, San Antonio, Galveston), Henry Ford, Temple, Iowa, Indiana, MCW, SLU, LSU, Wake Forest, Arkansas, UNLV
Community Programs: Sunrise, St. Joe (Denver), Socal Kaisers, Scripps Green/Mercy, UCLA Harbor/Olive, Virginia Mason, the 3 communities in Portland.

Any advice/criticism appreciated. Thank you.

I can't comment on most of your programs, but there is no point in applying for your reaches. Programs such as Georgetown/GW/Iowa/MCW etc are major reaches for you imo. Unfortunately, you suffer from 'generic application' syndrome with no stand-out features and DO to boot. Not trying to be mean but trying to be realistic. You'll get a good IM education at some of the programs you listed. It's what you make of your opportunities that really counts.

Your chances at GI are slim. Focus on kicking butt in residency, being a chief (if possible), and doing research (with focus on a couple of publications) to have a shot at GI.

Reactions: 1 users
You should ask yourself what is most important to you. If being with your fiance is the most important, then you should apply to all IM/FM programs wherever he/she is (and if he is in a desirable location, then you should also add programs in nearby cities). If getting training at the best IM program is the most important, then you should apply to 100+ low-tier IM and community programs broadly. The choice is up to you.

Low to mid-tier university programs. Decent step scores but you'll need something else to be considered for mid-tier programs.

I can't comment on most of your programs, but there is no point in applying for your reaches. Programs such as Georgetown/GW/Iowa/MCW etc are major reaches for you imo. Unfortunately, you suffer from 'generic application' syndrome with no stand-out features and DO to boot. Not trying to be mean but trying to be realistic. You'll get a good IM education at some of the programs you listed. It's what you make of your opportunities that really counts.

Your chances at GI are slim. Focus on kicking butt in residency, being a chief (if possible), and doing research (with focus on a couple of publications) to have a shot at GI.

Any advice for my post above? Specifically for schools like GW?

Hey guys. I’m a DO hoping to get some interviews at a mid tier university IM program. My step 2 (248) is only 2 points above my step 1. I listed my other relevant stats below

DO applicant from newer school

Step 1- 246/level 1-679
Step 2-248/ level 2-?

Gpa is like 3.8-9

Class rank is top 10%

Basic research experience with co-author on a couple unpublished studies/case reports No pubs. Graduate degree with research thesis

All Honors except for one high pass during third year. Honored both IM. Great comments for MSPE.

Lots of volunteering

Good letters of rec. 2 IM, 1 Critical care

My real question is if my step 2 being sub 250 is going to kill my chances at a good program with my other stuff being pretty good..?

Thanks for sone honest advice!

In this situation, your step 2 score has no bearing on where you match. Do you have a shot at mid-tier programs friendly to DO's? Sure. Apply broadly and find out.

There is a thread for this

Hey all,

Just wanted to see what my chances are at academic IM in the northeast.

Profile:
Mid-tier med school in northeast
mid 240's step 1
likely high passes across the board in 3rd year rotations
Some research (1 publication before med school, 2 posters in med school)
no other extracurriculars

I'm thinking I have enough, but give me a kick in the butt/ recommendations on what I need to do if I'm being delusional sdn.

Thanks,
Jackinabox
1. Thread moved to WAMC thread.
2. What do you mean by "likely high passes across the board"? Have you just started 3rd year and are just assuming you'll do about average on your rotations? Or have you had HPs in all your rotations so far and you're just about done?

Hey guys, just stopped lurking and started being active in the forum (finally)! I'm trying to get in an IM program in large cities with high number of available IM programs since my wife will be applying next match and I want to improve her chances for matching in the same city as I am. So here are my stats and what are my chances for large cities +- prematch programs? Will home country residency make a difference for the programs?
Non-US IMG
step1: 252
step2: 263
step2cs: first pass
step3: not yet taken
YoG: 2016
USCE: 3w clerkship (pathology), 1mo externship (IM-Onc), 1mo obs (general surgery)
LoRs:
1 IM- Very strong(US),
1 Path - hopefully strong (US),
1 Head of IM from the university where I'm doing my residency - Very strong (Non-US),
1 IM - Strong (Non-US)
In total: 2 home country-2 US
Pubs: 1
Abstracts: 2
Currently a PGY-3 IM resident at home country university hospital. No major gaps (3 months while waiting for my residency to start).

Planning to apply broadly (like 200ish) but not sure of the number yet.

Thank you in advance guys!

Can I get an advice here guys? TIA!

Hey all,

Just wanted to see what my chances are at academic IM in the northeast.

Profile:
Mid-tier med school in northeast
mid 240's step 1
likely high passes across the board in 3rd year rotations
Some research (1 publication before med school, 2 posters in med school)
no other extracurriculars

I'm thinking I have enough, but give me a kick in the butt/ recommendations on what I need to do if I'm being delusional sdn.

Thanks,
Jackinabox

Your "chances" are 100%. You have above-average step scores and as long as you don't suck, you'll be fine.

Matching into the top institutions on the Northeast... now that is a different story. At this moment, you'll get maybe 1 or 2 interviews at those institutions, if you're lucky. To break into this tier, you'll have to honor medicine clerkship, have strong LORs, AND probably either get AOA or publish a paper or two.

Can I get an advice here guys? TIA!

You have a good application. You'll match at a mid to upper-mid tier residency who is willing to take IMGs.

The strategy will depend on your wife's strength of application. For example, if she is equally strong of a candidate, you guys can aim for large cities with multiple mid to upper-mid tier programs (i.e. NY, LA, Chicago, etc). If her application is weaker, then you guys can aim for either smaller cities with both strong academic and community programs or just focus on the largest cities which offers both.

200 programs seem overkill to me. If you apply intelligently, 100 should be more than enough.

Currently: MS4
School: Low-Tier east coast MD School

Step 1: 226
Step 2: pending

Pre-clinical: All Pass (P/F)
Clinical: 4 Honors including IM, 1 HP, 1 Pass.

Class rank: Unknown. Not AOA

Research: Poster M1, QI Poster M3, IM poster national conference M4, IM Case report x2.

EC's: Led student group to run and organize diversity conference. 150+ hours community service. School mentorship program. Scholarship recipient at sub-i institution.

Misc: 2 IM LORs from M3. Hoping to get one from Sub-i.

----

I'm from CA. Ideally would want to go to CA IM program in a large city (LA, SD, SF).
Interested in a competitive subspeciality, so would like to be at an academic institution like a UC, but unsure of my chances.
Step 1 score is big insecurity of mine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! As a follow-up question, would I need to do anything special to match outside of the northeast? I know that for California, at the minimum I would have to do aways given that I don't have ties there, but would this be the case for the larger Midwestern cities like Chicago, Cincinnati, etc?

Students don't need to do aways to match, although people do aways for a variety of reasons. In your case, I would definitely suggest against it. Doing aways at reach institutions won't help your chances, since your application is not stellar. Doing aways at target mid-tier programs won't help either, since you'll likely get an IV there anyways. In summary, aways can only hurt you if you rub someone the wrong way.

IMO, aways are only reserved for students from lower-tier schools with otherwise a stellar application and fantastic clinical skills to break into an upper tier.

Currently: MS4
School: Low-Tier east coast MD School

Step 1: 226
Step 2: pending

Pre-clinical: All Pass (P/F)
Clinical: 4 Honors including IM, 1 HP, 1 Pass.

Class rank: Unknown. Not AOA

Research: Poster M1, QI Poster M3, IM poster national conference M4, IM Case report x2.

EC's: Led student group to run and organize diversity conference. 150+ hours community service. School mentorship program. Scholarship recipient at sub-i institution.

Misc: 2 IM LORs from M3. Hoping to get one from Sub-i.

----

I'm from CA. Ideally would want to go to CA IM program in a large city (LA, SD, SF).
Interested in a competitive subspeciality, so would like to be at an academic institution like a UC, but unsure of my chances.
Step 1 score is big insecurity of mine.

Your chances at any of the major Cali programs (USCD,UCLA,Stanford,UCSF) are none. Luckily, there are tons of other programs in those cities outside of the ones I mentioned. Apply to every one of them and find out.

Hello! What's your suggestions? (# of programs, university vs university-affiliated vs community-based)
non-US IMG (need visa), YOG 2017. 4 american LORs (from 2 non-teaching hospitals and 1 private practice).
STEP 1: 242
STEP 2 CK: 254 CS: PASS
all first attempts.

Grateful for any feedback!

I would say target community hospitals and apply to all of them. University programs would require 2 out 3: higher score (260/270 range), dedicated-research or elective (which based on your LORs, I don't think you did) for IMGs.

This is kind of a different situation. I was wondering if I had a chance matching at an academic* internal medicine program as a resident currently in a different specialty.

Profile: PGY-2 radiology. PGY-1=TY program, mostly did IM rotations and had good evals. Graduated with MD from mid/good tier medical school in 2018 with good marks but not AOA (mostly Honors/high pass). STEP1=253, STEP2CK=263, STEP2CS=PASS first attempt, STEP3=254. Research=2 x posters at national conferences, one at IM sub-specialty conference.

*By academic I mean a program that has affiliated fellowship in all or most sub-specialties as well as residency programs in other fields. I would prefer to match in the Midwest.

Yes, I do know this would mean starting over as a PGY-1.

Hello all, would love some feedback for the upcoming application cycle.

AMG, mid-tier Midwest MD school, no gaps in education, non-traditional student with prior healthcare experience as a RN.

Step 1 - 232
Step 2 CK - 248, CS - pass
All first attempts
No school rank
No AOA
Research - 5 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, currently working on manuscript with research group for submission (mentioned in research experience section).
Three strong letters of recommendation

Intention to pursue fellowship in either plum/cc or cards

Would like a mid-tier to mid/upper tier university program in Midwest.

List -

IL - rush, Loyola, UIC, UChicago and NW (the far reaches I would presume)

IN - IU, St. Vincent’s (community program)

OH - Cinci, OSU, CCF, Case western, Kettering (community)

MI - UMich, Henry Ford

WI - UWisc, Medical College of Wisconsin, Aurora Health (community)

IA - University of Iowa

MN - university of MN, Hennepin (community), Mayo
I am not quite sure my competitiveness, not sure how past experience in healthcare will factor in. Appreciate suggestions on possibilities to add, as well as evaluation of what is target for me or what is reach.

Hey everyone, I'm from the northern half of the country. Will apply to a few programs locally but the rest will be down south or out west. I have a semi unique story in that I chose to delay graduation last year and switch specialties to IM as the specialty I originally applied to I realized I did not want to do after half way through fourth year. Here are my stats:
-step I: 237
- step II CK: 246; passed CS on first attempt
- 5 pubs; one first author case report; 3 poster presentation; one research award at previous poster presentation
- I got a Pass in my IM third year rotation (was pursuing surgery at the time); however I got Honors in my medicine sub-I and 3 other IM subspecialty rotations; I got high pass or honors in most of my other rotations

I would like to apply to mainly academic or university affiliated programs as I would like research opportunities as I plan on pursuing fellowship (maybe cards or puml/crit). But am open to hearing of community programs that may help me reach my goal.

I am applying to lots of California programs. Here is my list:

California: USC; UCLA; Cedars Sinai; UCLA Harbor; UCLA Olive View; UCSD; UC Irvine; Scripps (both programs); Kaiser SoCal; Huntington Hospital; Santa Barbara Cottage

Other Schools:
Baylor
U of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
U of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
U of Texas Southwestern
Jackson Memorial Hospital
University of Florida
University of South Florida
University of Alabama
University of South Alabama
Louisiana State
Tulane
Oregon Health and Science Center
Medical College of Georgia
Medical University of South Carolina
Mayo Arizona
U of Arizona: Phoenix
U of Arizona: Tucson
University of Hawaii
U of Nevada Las Vegas
U of Nevada Reno
U of New Mexico
U of North Carolina
U of Utah

Hey everyone, I'm from a mid-tier school in the SE, and am aiming for pulm/crit right now. Updated app now and was hoping to get feedback on if this is a relatively balanced list of programs or if it was too top heavy? Thank you!

Step 1: 255
Step 2: 259
AOA, GHHS
Grades: H in IM, IM AI, MICU, EM, neuro, family, peds, OBGYN; HP in psych, anesthesiology AI; P in surgery.
LORs: very strong
Research: poster (presented not by me) from undergrad, 2 surgery poster presentations, 1 surgery podium presentation, 1 surgery poster at an international conference (presented not by me), 1 IM poster presentation, 1 IM abstract submitted to a conference, 1 3rd author journal article submitted
ECs: lots of service, significant med-ed work, am bilingual/interpret at a student clinic and in the hospital

UCLA, USC, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Hopkins, Hopkins-Bayview, MGH, BIDMC, Brigham and Women's, Michigan, Wash. U, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, UPenn, UPMC, Vandy, UTSW, Baylor, UW, UCLA

Georgetown, GW, Rush, University of Illinois Chicago, Loyola, Maryland, Tufts, BU, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Cincinnati, Case Western, Jefferson, Wisconsin-Madison

Hey everyone, I’m looking for a realistic list of university programs I would have a chance at. I’m already applying to a good amount of community programs.

Step 1: 220
Step 2: 230
Comlex 1: 600
Comlex 2: 525
PE: 1st time pass
Middle 50% rank
All passes 3rd year
No research

Where are you @gutonc? I need help.

This is kind of a different situation. I was wondering if I had a chance matching at an academic* internal medicine program as a resident currently in a different specialty.

Profile: PGY-2 radiology. PGY-1=TY program, mostly did IM rotations and had good evals. Graduated with MD from mid/good tier medical school in 2018 with good marks but not AOA (mostly Honors/high pass). STEP1=253, STEP2CK=263, STEP2CS=PASS first attempt, STEP3=254. Research=2 x posters at national conferences, one at IM sub-specialty conference.

*By academic I mean a program that has affiliated fellowship in all or most sub-specialties as well as residency programs in other fields. I would prefer to match in the Midwest.

Yes, I do know this would mean starting over as a PGY-1.

If you were to re-enter the match, I would imagine you have a decent shot at mid to upper-mid tier residencies. You have good scores, some research, and an interesting story. Is it possible for you to switch at your institution to PGY-2 for IM instead of starting over? I know a number of IM prelims who switched to IM categorical, granted this was at a large academic institution.

Hello all, would love some feedback for the upcoming application cycle.

AMG, mid-tier Midwest MD school, no gaps in education, non-traditional student with prior healthcare experience as a RN.

Step 1 - 232
Step 2 CK - 248, CS - pass
All first attempts
No school rank
No AOA
Research - 5 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, currently working on manuscript with research group for submission (mentioned in research experience section).
Three strong letters of recommendation

Intention to pursue fellowship in either plum/cc or cards

Would like a mid-tier to mid/upper tier university program in Midwest.

List -

IL - rush, Loyola, UIC, UChicago and NW (the far reaches I would presume)

IN - IU, St. Vincent’s (community program)

OH - Cinci, OSU, CCF, Case western, Kettering (community)

MI - UMich, Henry Ford

WI - UWisc, Medical College of Wisconsin, Aurora Health (community)

IA - University of Iowa

MN - university of MN, Hennepin (community), Mayo
I am not quite sure my competitiveness, not sure how past experience in healthcare will factor in. Appreciate suggestions on possibilities to add, as well as evaluation of what is target for me or what is reach.

Your list is reasonable. The reaches are UC, NW, and Michigan. The other program should be within your target range. You should consider adding Wash U (reach) and Pitt (reasonable) as well, since they are sort of within your geographical preference.

Hey everyone, I'm from the northern half of the country. Will apply to a few programs locally but the rest will be down south or out west. I have a semi unique story in that I chose to delay graduation last year and switch specialties to IM as the specialty I originally applied to I realized I did not want to do after half way through fourth year. Here are my stats:
-step I: 237
- step II CK: 246; passed CS on first attempt
- 5 pubs; one first author case report; 3 poster presentation; one research award at previous poster presentation
- I got a Pass in my IM third year rotation (was pursuing surgery at the time); however I got Honors in my medicine sub-I and 3 other IM subspecialty rotations; I got high pass or honors in most of my other rotations

I would like to apply to mainly academic or university affiliated programs as I would like research opportunities as I plan on pursuing fellowship (maybe cards or puml/crit). But am open to hearing of community programs that may help me reach my goal.

I am applying to lots of California programs. Here is my list:

California: USC; UCLA; Cedars Sinai; UCLA Harbor; UCLA Olive View; UCSD; UC Irvine; Scripps (both programs); Kaiser SoCal; Huntington Hospital; Santa Barbara Cottage

Other Schools:
Baylor
U of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
U of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
U of Texas Southwestern
Jackson Memorial Hospital
University of Florida
University of South Florida
University of Alabama
University of South Alabama
Louisiana State
Tulane
Oregon Health and Science Center
Medical College of Georgia
Medical University of South Carolina
Mayo Arizona
U of Arizona: Phoenix
U of Arizona: Tucson
University of Hawaii
U of Nevada Las Vegas
U of Nevada Reno
U of New Mexico
U of North Carolina
U of Utah

Your list is all over the place but you will match just fine. I would suggest focusing a bit more. You have the Louisiana/Texas programs but why not the Houston ones? You have the AL/GA programs but why not Emory (reach but attainable, since you have decent scores and have a well rounded application). I would suggest adding Colorado, Emory, Wake Forest, the Houston programs.

Hey everyone, I'm from a mid-tier school in the SE, and am aiming for pulm/crit right now. Updated app now and was hoping to get feedback on if this is a relatively balanced list of programs or if it was too top heavy? Thank you!

Step 1: 255
Step 2: 259
AOA, GHHS
Grades: H in IM, IM AI, MICU, EM, neuro, family, peds, OBGYN; HP in psych, anesthesiology AI; P in surgery.
LORs: very strong
Research: poster (presented not by me) from undergrad, 2 surgery poster presentations, 1 surgery podium presentation, 1 surgery poster at an international conference (presented not by me), 1 IM poster presentation, 1 IM abstract submitted to a conference, 1 3rd author journal article submitted
ECs: lots of service, significant med-ed work, am bilingual/interpret at a student clinic and in the hospital

UCLA, USC, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Hopkins, Hopkins-Bayview, MGH, BIDMC, Brigham and Women's, Michigan, Wash. U, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, UPenn, UPMC, Vandy, UTSW, Baylor, UW, UCLA

Georgetown, GW, Rush, University of Illinois Chicago, Loyola, Maryland, Tufts, BU, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Cincinnati, Case Western, Jefferson, Wisconsin-Madison

Congrats on a stellar application. You'll get interviews to most programs as long as your personal statement is not a huge turn off. Once the IVs start rolling in and you have >10, consider cancelling IVs from the 2nd list to give other students a chance.

Need a wamc.

Comlex 1: 670 / Comlex 2: 517
Step 1: 244 / Step 2: 250
PE: failed first attempt

Pubs: 2 (1 in nature) and an abstract

Class rank: top15%
Honored only IM
Also ssp and gold humanism

LOR: 2 surgery and 1 internal med

Was originally going for surgery. But I failed PE and had comlex level 2 score drop.

Will still be applying to surgery but would like to apply to IM as a back up.

do i have a shot at any university programs?

Yes.

Hey everyone, I’m looking for a realistic list of university programs I would have a chance at. I’m already applying to a good amount of community programs.

Step 1: 220
Step 2: 230
Comlex 1: 600
Comlex 2: 525
PE: 1st time pass
Middle 50% rank
All passes 3rd year
No research

Low-tier university programs are your only hope I'm afraid. And community programs. You should apply to >100.

Question: is there a max number of letters you can send? I have four not including the deans letter and would like to send all four (so five total with deans), is that overkill?

Question: is there a max number of letters you can send? I have four not including the deans letter and would like to send all four (so five total with deans), is that overkill?

I don’t think the Dean’s letter counts towards your letters, so you can send 4 + the Dean’s letter.

If I recall correctly (applied last year but it’s amazing how quickly you forget) basically you should have at a minimum: 1 department letter (this is not the Dean’s letter, most IM programs require a letter from an IM department you worked in just synthesizing your performance - there are actually even best practice guidelines that are supposed to be followed by the writer), 2 individual letters, 1 Dean’s letter.

If you want to be more complete, go to each of the programs’ websites and look at what they want. Some say 3 letters (again, this doesn’t include a Dean’s letter) and some say up to 4. It probably doesn’t matter but I followed whatever the individual program’s sites said.

The MSPE is in addition to your 4 LORs. If you are talking about the Chair's letter, that is included in the 4.

Can you put poster presentations that are going to happen, say you will present in October 2019, could you put that on ERAS?

Also, anybody recommend personalized personal statements for each program?

What’s more important, narrative comments from rotations on MSPE or actual clinical grades? Frequently the two do not match up at my school.

Second year DO student here. I plan on taking the USMLE step 1 (June 2020), so what's the minimum for DO students looking to match into Mid to low tier IM programs or even a good Community IM program with fellowships in house? Also are audition rotations necessary?

Hi, non US IMG here, my credentials are:
Step 1 : 240
Step 2 : 261
Cs : pass , first attempt
Step 3 not taken
YOG : 2017
4 pubs, 1 pubmed indexed. And also 1 pending,
2 IM lors- US
1 FM lor- US
applying for IM, can anyone please tell me what are my chances of matching? I am applying widely but preference is texas programs :| too high a dream?
Any help will be appreciated

Can you put poster presentations that are going to happen, say you will present in October 2019, could you put that on ERAS?

Also, anybody recommend personalized personal statements for each program?

1. No. You should not.
2. Consider it for your top programs. There is no data that it helps. I would certainly do it for fellowship apps.

4th year D.O. student applying to IM residency. WAMC.

Step 1: 233
Level 1: 642
Step 2 CK: 251
Level 2 CE: 702
Level 2 PE: passed first attempt

All A's in 3rd year rotations (including IM) except for 2 B's due to poor shelf exam scores. (passed all shelf exams on the first try, however)

Not sure on my class rank but would estimate lower first quartile or upper second quartile

2 research projects with one published in a sports medicine journal
Minimal other ECs during medical school

I am possibly interested in a GI fellowship but know this is very competitive, especially for DOs. Ideally I would end up at the best university program I can to keep my options open. WAMC for my current list. Do I have a good number of safety programs and programs I have a decent shot at? I know I have some reach programs which is fine.

Current list:
University of Minnesota
Mayo Clinic
Hennepin County Medical Center
Abbott Northwestern
University of Iowa
Mercy Des Moines
University of Iowa Des Moines
University of Nebraska
University of Missouri
St. Louis University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush University
University of Illinois Chicago
Loyola University
University of Chicago Northshore
Indiana University
University of Cincinnati
Case Western Metrohealth
Case Western University Hospital
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State University
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
Wake Forest
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Connecticut
Brown University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Kansas
University of Colorado
West Virginia University
Dartmouth
UPMC
Allegheny General

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Hi all,

I'm applying this cycle and would like advice on programs to target, I know I'm not the typical poster here so bear with me. I'm a US MD applicant from a mid-tier school.

Step 1: 20X
Step 2 CK: 24X
Step 2 CS: Pass, 1st attempt
Grades: All HP, H in Family, H in IM Sub-I, but P in IM clerkship (was my first after Step 1, got destroyed by shelf despite strong evals, personal chaos during this time)

Publications: 8 including a patent and book chapter, with several poster presentations and oral presentations
Research Experiences: 6
Volunteer Experiences: 20, including teaching and several significant leadership positions
Work Experiences: 14, I have a unique background as a non-trad medical student and full career in healthcare before medical school.
LORs: Strong from Sub-I, and research PI

I know my Step 1 and P in IM clerkship are my biggest challenge/hurdle at this point but I am still planning to apply really broadly (maybe 70+ programs at this point--cost is not an issue). Any specific programs that come to mind that could forgive a lower performing start and general uptrend? Or programs that don't have firm cut offs to open application files? I have poured through the STAR database and the Residency Explorer tool and have a rough idea of the programs who don't offer interviews to candidates with my stats (Columbia, Stanford, MGH/BWH, etc), but am curious if specific programs come to mind.

Hoping to go to an academic program, but am also heavily considering community programs such as Kaiser, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Providence/Legacy for example. For context, alumni at my school with slightly higher Step 1 /lower Step 2, and similar grades have matched at mid-tier academic institutions.

Last edited:
Wanted to update my app, also I've updated my list

Low tier US MD
Step 1 - 250+
Step 2 CK/CS- yet to take
AOA - Yes
No red flags
Pre-clinical - Top quartile
Clinicals: A in IM, OB and Psych. B+ in FM. B in Peds and Surgery.
Research/ECs/LORs: Some leadership, mentoring, volunteering, research activities, 1 poster presentation, 2 oral presentations but no pubs. One very strong letter from an OB/GYN, 1 strong letter from IM clerkship director, 1 from FM and will get one from my IM-Sub I.

Looking to match academic Southeast..but would be willing to expand for a strong program. Here's a list I've come up with so far:

Hail Mary = UTSW, Vanderbilt
Reach = Baylor, UNC, UVA
Target = Emory, UAB, MUSC, Tulane, Baylor-Dallas, Carolinas, USF, Wake, VCU, Georgetown, GWU, Mayo-Jacksonville, UF, UK, Miami, Cincy, Case Western, Rush, Illinois, Tufts
In Range = UT (Austin, San Antonio, Galveston), Scott and White, LSU (Shreveport, Baton Rouge, NOLA), UT (Nashville, Memphis), Louisville, Greenville, Palmetto

Any other top programs that would be willing to look past my lack of research/low tier USMD? Any other programs to add?

Last edited:
I posted earlier but wanted to update as I have a more complete application and a big jump in step 2 if that helps.

MD student from unranked east coast school
Step 1: 235
Step 2: 265
Step 2 cs: still waiting for grade
Class rank: no rankings
AOA: school doesn’t have
Honors: IM, Peds, FM. HP: psych, surgery, OB.
Research: 2 1st author pubs, available on PubMed.

Ec’s: 1 leadership in a community volunteer program, leadership in school club, volunteer at a special ed school
LOR’s: 3 from IM, 1 from cardio elective, 1 from FM. Should all be solid
Looking to possibly do cards but not 100%. Do want to specialize

WAMC: NY big 4, monte, Yale, BU, Urochester, Cleveland clinic, Ucolorado, Uchicago, Uwash, GW, UVM, Brown, Dartmouth, CW, bayview, Michigan, emory, u Pittsburgh

These are my reaches, and I have a longer list of some safeties. I’m struggling in middle tier, does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Low tier US MD (newer school) in South... personal ties to Midwest

USMLE Step 1: low 250s
USMLE Step 2: high 250s
USMLE CS: Pass
Class Rank: top quartile
AOA: no chapter at my school
Honors: pre-clerkship Honors, Honors in all clerkships (IM, Peds, FM, Surg, OBGYN, Psych, IM Sub-I)
Research: ~10 posters (mix of research and case reports)

-Hopeful = Northwestern, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Mayo Rochester, Pritzker, Cornell, Baylor
-Target= UPMC, Emory, Case Western, UAB, Cleveland Clinic, Rush, UIC, GWU, UT-Houston, Tulane, USF, Methodist (Houston)
-In range= Loyola Chicago, UT San Antonio, UTMB, UT Austin, Texas A&M (Temple), Texas Tech El Paso

Any thoughts on prospects for Hopeful category? Are posters without manuscripts an issue?

Asking for a friend (no seriously, it's not me, so if you look at my search history, this will be confusing because I myself am not applying to IM).

-AOA eligible, committee is meeting this week I believe
-Research Masters with a non-first author pub prior to med school, a little dab of research during med school
-Very involved in student success initiatives (hired as an academic support coordinator at the med school, works closely with the post-bacc and M1 students in various capacities)
-one big whig letter, but otherwise normal letters
-high pass in IM in M3 year, on AI now but it's going really well, knock-on-wood
-Mid 240s step 1, mid 250s step 2
-no red flags
--> bottom tier US allopathic school.

Trying to couples match with someone comp. for gen surgery.

Trying to develop a program list and need to know... is it OK to shoot for some of the top programs (hopkins, yale), based on mutual independent competitiveness of the two candidates? This person is clear on their partner's competitiveness but is asking specifically about their competitiveness for IM.
It takes 30 seconds for your "friend" to get an account here. Tell him/her to do so.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone. Been a lurker for a while so just thought I'd throw in my stats and see what people have to say now that I'm finally applying.

I am a non-US IMG (LOL I know but please keep reading!). But I am from a top-notch medical school (non-Carribean). In the past 5 years graduates from my school have frequently matched at decent university programs in IM (Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, Mayo, UMass, WashU St Louis; record of grads from early 2000s also getting into MGH, Hopkins and Duke).

- Graduated top of my class in 2018
- Step 1: 263
- Step 2: waiting to get my score but hopeful of staying within the 260s at least
- CS: Pass in first attempt
- Research: 1 indexed pub which I worked hard a whole year for, 1 submitted, 3-4 in the pipeline
- Work experience: Spent time between graduation and application as a Teaching Associate in my medical school
- LORs: 3 US LORs from electives at university programs (I haven't seen these LORs but they all said they wrote me strong ones), 1 LOR from Chair of Medicine at my school (is an MD from Duke) which I know is a strong letter.
- I think I have a strong PS too. I beat cancer when I was a teenager AND I am pretty sure I want to do Heam/Onc now...

What programs do y'all think I should apply to and how do I boost my chances? TIA!

It takes 30 seconds for your "friend" to get an account here. Tell him/her to do so.

Fair enough. Was asking on behalf of my couples matching counterpart. Was not attempting to be a PITA.

Hi all, looking for advice on where to apply. Making a last-minute switch to IM

MD student from NE coast state school
Step 1: low 250's
Step 2: 270+
CS: P
Class rank: Likely top quartile
AOA: No
Honors: H in all clerkships including IM; one HP in primary care
Research: 1 first author pub; another 1st author recently submitted; 2 middle author papers published; 2 poster presentations at a national conference; 2 posters prior to med school; not IM related

LOR from two IM attendings I worked with in third year. Unfortunately, SubI is in October. Would like an academic program

What tier should I target? Would like to stay on the NE coast, but I'm flexible. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, looking for advice on where to apply. Making a last-minute switch to IM

MD student from NE coast state school
Step 1: low 250's
Step 2: 270+
CS: P
Class rank: Likely top quartile
Honors: H in all clerkships including IM; one HP in primary care
Research: 1 first author pub; another 1st author recently submitted; 2 middle author papers published; 2 poster presentations at a national conference; 2 posters prior to med school; not IM related

LOR from two IM attendings I worked with in third year. Unfortunately, SubI is in October. Would like an academic program

What tier should I target? Would like to stay on the NE coast, but I'm flexible. Thanks in advance!

Based on what I was seeing on the interview trail and where friends ended up, I think you should be able to apply basically anywhere.

Based on what you wrote I don’t see that extra “wow” factor (AOA, absurd research, very unique extra curricular like starting a company or something, a PhD, etc) so MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, Stanford, and maybe Duke may be a bit more of a stretch, but I’d still apply if you want to be at one of those academic powerhouses and I’d feel confident that you’ll get interviews at many of the “next” tier of places (BIDMC, Michigan, Vandy, Cornell, Emory, etc).

Based on what I was seeing on the interview trail and where friends ended up, I think you should be able to apply basically anywhere.

Based on what you wrote I don’t see that extra “wow” factor (AOA, absurd research, very unique extra curricular like starting a company or something, a PhD, etc) so MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, Stanford, and maybe Duke may be a bit more of a stretch, but I’d still apply if you want to be at one of those academic powerhouses and I’d feel confident that you’ll get interviews at many of the “next” tier of places (BIDMC, Michigan, Vandy, Cornell, Emory, etc).

What would you consider to be absurd research? How many papers?

Fair enough. Was asking on behalf of my couples matching counterpart. Was not attempting to be a PITA.
Then just say that.

The "mysterious" BS (and you're not the only one who does it) makes everyone distrust you (again, universal you, not individual you).

What would you consider to be absurd research? How many papers?

I think it’s a whole package thing, not necessarily just number of pubs. And admittedly I was being a bit dramatic with the word “absurd.”

A PhD, >~7 pubs that fit into some narrative that an applicant can actually talk about in the application, or getting a national research fellowship in med school (Doris Duke (though the last year of that was a couple ago), NIH, HHMI, Sarnoff, Fulbright, etc) would all be research signposts that help separate people that have all the other qualifications (scores, letters, grades) for top academic programs.

It’s all relative - residency is still about becoming a clinician, so you don’t need a Nobel to have a demonstrated interest in research for apps (at least not while applying IM), and the other things (scores, grades, letters) will still matter most in this specialty.

Last edited:
Hey all,

USMLE: 255+ / 265+
Comlex: 750+ / 750+
PE: pending
Class rank: top quartile
SSP
Honors: H in all clerkships
Research: >15 publications, 6 first authorships, 4 posters, 1 research grant awarded (all from medical school, no undergrad research)
extras: 3 school scholarships

LOR from two IM attendings I worked with in third year. (Chair of medicine / Program director). One from my PI (phd).

Overall -- feel like I have a strong app. However, being a DO what tier should I target? Are schools like WashU, UTSW, Duke, Vandy, etc. realistic? Otherwise, what are my chances at most university schools in midwest / south (MU, KU, SLU, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I'm applying this cycle and would like advice on programs to target, I know I'm not the typical poster here so bear with me. I'm a US MD applicant from a mid-tier school.

Step 1: 20X
Step 2 CK: 24X
Step 2 CS: Pass, 1st attempt
Grades: All HP, H in Family, H in IM Sub-I, but P in IM clerkship (was my first after Step 1, got destroyed by shelf despite strong evals, personal chaos during this time)

Publications: 8 including a patent and book chapter, with several poster presentations and oral presentations
Research Experiences: 6
Volunteer Experiences: 20, including teaching and several significant leadership positions
Work Experiences: 14, I have a unique background as a non-trad medical student and full career in healthcare before medical school.
LORs: Strong from Sub-I, and research PI

I know my Step 1 and P in IM clerkship are my biggest challenge/hurdle at this point but I am still planning to apply really broadly (maybe 70+ programs at this point--cost is not an issue). Any specific programs that come to mind that could forgive a lower performing start and general uptrend? Or programs that don't have firm cut offs to open application files? I have poured through the STAR database and the Residency Explorer tool and have a rough idea of the programs who don't offer interviews to candidates with my stats (Columbia, Stanford, MGH/BWH, etc), but am curious if specific programs come to mind.

Hoping to go to an academic program, but am also heavily considering community programs such as Kaiser, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Providence/Legacy for example. For context, alumni at my school with slightly higher Step 1 /lower Step 2, and similar grades have matched at mid-tier academic institutions.

Why not sell your research background/interest - make personalized statements for the schools you are really interested in. If can get published papers, that may help. Your step 2 may carry you.
Some program screen step 1 and step 2 > 230 etc but same do step 1 or step 2 > 230 etc. With that profile, should not have any difficulty getting into community programs at all
Good luck

Hey all,

USMLE: 255+ / 265+
Comlex: 750+ / 750+
PE: pending
Class rank: top quartile
SSP
Honors: H in all clerkships
Research: >15 publications, 6 first authorships, 4 posters, 1 research grant awarded (all from medical school, no undergrad research)
extras: 3 school scholarships

LOR from two IM attendings I worked with in third year. (Chair of medicine / Program director). One from my PI (phd).

Overall -- feel like I have a strong app. However, being a DO what tier should I target? Are schools like WashU, UTSW, Duke, Vandy, etc. realistic? Otherwise, what are my chances at most university schools in midwest / south (MU, KU, SLU, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about other programs but when I was at WashU, I did not see any DOs and neither did the other ones. We did have rare IMGs but they were always usually very heavy researchers and were brought by specific mentors/departments. I am not sure if things have changed recently. But your scores are strong and so is your publications so I am sure you will have no trouble matching at all. Stay positive. No harm in applying broadly - even if you apply to reach programs, a few hundred $ extra are not going to make a difference in your student loan - just apply otherwise you will always regret not applying. In the end, for the most part, this process is still like med school interviews - crap shoot - once you get an interview, then it is up to you to make that opportunity into successful match.
MU has tons of DO - avoid SLU if you can - unless things have changed in past years.

Finally, don't sell yourself short - apply broadly and at the time of ranking - rank programs in order where you would like to end up and not by your chances at a particular school :)

good luck

MD student from TX State School
Step 1: 228
Step 2: 244
Class rank: school doesn't rank
Honors: H in Surgery, Peds. P in IM clerkship and other clerkships, H in Cardiology and IM sub-I
Research: 1 poster presentation at a national conference, several local posters, 1 manuscript in progress
Letters: strong from my IM and Cardiology attendings as well as my longitudinal Primary Care Clerkship

I'm heavily invested in my school's student-run clinic and would love to go to a place with a focus on treating the underserved. For location, I'm really open to anywhere, preferably an academic program in a larger city. Eventually interested in Cardiology. Please advise on places to add or drop. Thanks!

Current list: Reach: UW, UNC, UCLA, UTSW, Baylor, UChicago, NW, NYU, Beth Israel

Normal: UT Houston, Houston Methodist, Tulane, Vandy, UT San Antonio, Kaisers, USC, OHSU, Maryland, UVA, Georgetown, Loyola Chicago, UIC, LA County, UAB, Wisco, GW

Safer: Dell, LSU, Tulane, UTMB

Last edited:
Can't decide if I will need to apply to FM programs as a back up. Opinions?
DO student
COMLEX 1 450
COMLEX 2 510
USMLE step1 210
Did not take USMLE Step 2CK

As an IM applicant for a competitive fellowship this year, I want to add something I wish I knew applying for residency not too long ago
Whether or not you match to a fellowship depends mostly on your AMG status.
Where you match for that fellowship, for the most part, depends on where you did your resident and your letter writers
Just keep that in mind when you do your rank list
Good luck all