This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You’ll be fine. The only 2 other boxes you can’t check are Top 10 school and PhD (and it’s 3-10 years too late for those), but your app is otherwise all rainbows and unicorns.

I don’t know what the kids mean by “signaling”, but you’re going to get more than enough invites from your reach/target groups. Feel free to apply to your whole list and enjoy the ego boost (and have the opportunity to visit programs that might be a better fit for you than the bigger names might be) that all those invitations will provide. But you can stop at 20 and be fine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what signaling strategies mean.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. The only 2 other boxes you can’t check are Top 10 school and PhD (and it’s 3-10 years too late for those), but your app is otherwise all rainbows and unicorns.

I don’t know what the kids mean by “signaling”, but you’re going to get more than enough invites from your reach/target groups. Feel free to apply to your whole list and enjoy the ego boost (and have the opportunity to visit programs that might be a better fit for you than the bigger names might be) that all those invitations will provide. But you can stop at 20 and be fine.
Thank you, appreciate your response.

Would appreciate advice on program selection and number of apps to target.

Med School: Top 25 MD
USMLE Step 1: 25X
USMLE Step 2 CK: 26X
Class Rank/AOA: Not applicable to our school
Clinical Grades: P/F rotations, very strong comments in almost all core clerkships (relatively weaker in 1 rotation) and both medicine subIs
Research: 6 accepted/published papers (2 first author, 1 Nature/Cell/Science), 1 submitted case report, 5 posters, 2 presentations
ECs: Several committees, some teaching/volunteering
Awards: 3-4 noteworthy medical school awards for research/patient care
LORs: Anticipated to be very strong

Program List (Feedback Appreciated)
- Reach: MGH, UCSF, BWH, JHU
- Target(?): UCLA, Yale, Beth Israel, U-Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, UTSW, Mayo Rochester, Umich, Columbia, Penn, Wash-U, Vanderbilt, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, Cornell, UPMC, Washington, Emory
- Safety(?, mostly based on geographic prefs): UVA, Wisconsin, Case UH, Loyola, UIC, George Washington, Georgetown

I'd ideally like to go to a strong academic program because I want to sub specialize in cards/GI/onc/PCCM and somewhat particular research interests. My main question is whether I am applying to the appropriate # of programs and if I need to add more to what is probably a "top heavy" list. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Spot on with your assessment. Your targets and reaches couldnt be more accurate. Id say ur only reaches are Big 4 tbh. But theyre reaches for anyone. Strong work my friend. Apply to the T30 programs and see what happens. Youll get a lot of love. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what signaling strategies mean.

There's supplemental applications now. Most specialties participate. Most programs in each specialty do too.

Each specialty itself has slightly different rules. For my chosen field of Neurology you get to signal 3 specific programs how much you love them essentially. It's a way for programs to gauge how much you want to go there for residency

There's supplemental applications now. Most specialties participate. Most programs in each specialty do too.

Each specialty itself has slightly different rules. For my chosen field of Neurology you get to signal 3 specific programs how much you love them essentially. It's a way for programs to gauge how much you want to go there for residency
the simpsons GIF

Reactions: 1 user

Oh FFS. Supplemental apps for residency programs? Official "love letters"?

I'm sorry all us "olds" f***ed this up so badly for the rest of you. I really am.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, M4 here hoping to gauge competitiveness of my application to guide where I should apply. Unfortunately my advisors aren't super helpful so I'm having a hard time knowing where I stand.

• Med School: Mid-tier USMD in Texas
  • M1-M2 Grades: 2nd quartile
  • M3 Grades: (F/P/H system)
    • Honored Peds, psych, and radiology
    • Passed IM, surgery, OB, FM
    • Unfortunately IM was my first rotation (even before step 1) so honoring it was a stretch and mediocre shelf (50th %ile). However, I honored the sub-I last month.
  • Step 1: 232
  • Step 2: 244
  • AOA: no
  • GHHS: no
  • Research:
    • 2 abstracts, 2 case reports, 3 posters.
    • Also involved with 3 retrospective studies that haven't lead to manuscripts yet.
    • Have a provisional patent for a medical device I'm working on
  • Extracurriculars: So I'm non trad with 6 years of work experience in medical innovation and still involved with consulting, mentorship, etc. in the med device space. Have lots of leadership positions, etc.
  • Volunteering: Average
  • LOR:
    • 1 IM chair which should be standard
    • 1 IM from my sub-I which should be really solid
    • 1 IM outpatient which would be solid as well
    • 1 FM outpatient, again really solid
  • Geography: Will try to stay in Texas if I can. If not, then southeast, southwest, Pacific Northwest in that order. Not a fan of the northeast and will be avoiding it.

List - in no particular order other than will be prioritizing Texas

Reaches
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Emory
UCSD
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush

Targets
UT Austin Dell
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Mayo Florida
UF Gainesville
USF

Safeties
UTHSCSA
UTMB Galveston

Still working on more safeties. Honestly, my list is all over the place because I can't gauge my competitiveness. My concerns are low-average step scores while the rest of the app is relatively normal with the exception of my unique background.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys, M4 here hoping to gauge competitiveness of my application to guide where I should apply. Unfortunately my advisors aren't super helpful so I'm having a hard time knowing where I stand.

• Unfortunately IM was my first rotation (even before step 1) so honoring it was a stretch and mediocre shelf (50th %ile). However, I honored the sub-I last month.
  • Research:
    • Also involved with 3 retrospective studies that haven't lead to manuscripts yet.
  • Extracurriculars: So I'm non trad with 6 years of work experience in medical innovation and still involved with consulting, mentorship, etc. in the med device space. Have lots of leadership positions, etc.
  • LOR:
  • Geography: Will try to stay in Texas if I can. If not, then southeast, southwest, Pacific Northwest in that order. Not a fan of the northeast and will be avoiding it.

Reaches
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Emory
UCSD
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush

Targets
UT Austin Dell
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Mayo Florida
UF Gainesville
USF

Safeties
UTHSCSA
UTMB Galveston

Still working on more safeties. Honestly, my list is all over the place because I can't gauge my competitiveness. My concerns are low-average step scores while the rest of the app is relatively normal with the exception of my unique background.

Always nice to see a fellow Texan. As far as the Texas programs, UTSW will definitely be the hardest reach. They just really don't take many students from the other TX schools (there are only 3 each in the current PGY2 and 3 class) compared to BCM. I think you're definitely in play for BCM. I would think about adding on BSW Temple/Dallas as well to your safeties. Other programs in the borderline target/safety tier if you want to stay closer to home to consider include UAMS/Tulane/OU

USMD, top 30-40ish

Step 1: 24x
Step 2: 24x
Clerkship grades: 2 H, rest HP (including IM)
Research: 1 first author pub, a couple others in the works (but likely won’t be ready before ERAS is in) a handful of middle author pubs, a couple institutional research awards, a few abstract/oral/poster presentations at conferences
AOA/Gold Humanism: Probably not/no
ECs: Teaching/mentoring, volunteer/community service work
Red flags: No

Career goals: Interest in cardiology, pulm/cc, maybe interested in academics/medical education

Reach:
Mayo (Rochester)
BIDMC
Yale
Duke
UMich
UNC

Target (includes home program):
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston Medical Center
Brown
UPitt Medical Center
URochester
UMaryland
Medstar/Georgetown University
Wake Forest

Safety:
UVM
Maine Medical Center
UMass
Cambridge Health Alliance
UConn
George Washington
Back again with a few updates - Honors in IM sub-I and will be getting a letter from my attending from that rotation.

I was wondering if you all had thoughts on competitiveness for the following programs in the Midwest or if you had any others worth thinking about - not too familiar with the landscape over there:
  • Northwestern
  • UChicago
  • Rush
  • UCincinnati
Also curious if you think UColorado and UCSD would be reasonable adds - my college and undergrad were both on the East Coast so I'm not sure if they might look at me like I'm crazy for shooting my shot out West without geographic ties?

• Research:
  • LOR:

Reaches
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Emory
UCSD
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush

Targets
UT Austin Dell
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Mayo Florida
UF Gainesville
USF

Safeties
UTHSCSA
UTMB Galveston

Apply to more mid tiers (Georgetown GW Wake Forest UMiami MUSC etc) as targets. Those are great reaches you have there yet i would suggest maybe adding UNC UVA CCF Brown Dartmouth and BU as more realistic reaches where you may have more luck than the Vandy tier schools. Not saying you wont get any T20 looks at all but statistically less likely based on your app. always shoot for the stars is my motto but prep for the worst and apply broadly if you have the money to

Hi everyone, M4 here interested in GI fellowship making sure I'm categorizing and balancing my program list correctly. Appreciate honest feedback!
  • Med School: Mid-tier US MD East coast
  • Home state: CA
  • M3 Grades (H/HP/P system)
    • H- IM, Peds, OB
    • HP- Primary care, surgery, psych
  • M4 Grades: H- IM SubI
  • Step 1: 240-245
  • Step 2: 260-265
  • AOA: nominated, pending final election
  • GHHS: yes
  • Research:
    • 2 abstracts, 4 pubs (2 first author), 3 posters. 2 additional papers submitted, pending final decision (1st author, 2nd author)
    • Involved in 3 additional projects, will not have products ready for eras submission
  • Extracurriculars/volunteering: Probably one of my stronger suits. 10-12 activities in total, leadership positions and strong history of service since undergrad. Cannot specify!
  • LOR:
    • 1 IM chair, fairly strong
    • 1 IM Sub-I, strong
    • 1 Surgery, average-strong
  • Geography: Trying to land back in Southern CA, NE US region otherwise
Program list: 30 total
Reaches-

UCSF, MGH, BWH, JHU
UCLA, Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, Cornell, Columbia, Penn

Matches/Targets-
UCSD, Cedars Sinai, USC, Scripps, UC Davis
Yale, Boston U, BIDMC, NYU, Mt Sinai, U Wash

Safeties-
Harbor UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Kaiser LA
Jefferson, Tufts, GWU, Georgetown

Would appreciate input on adding/removing programs, recs for interest in GI and whether im categorizing these programs correctly. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hiya, M4 also with the tentative goal to apply GI
  • Med school: low-tier socal MD
  • M1-M2 grades: school doesn't rank
  • M3 grades: Honored every rotation
  • M4 grades: Pending currently
  • Step1: 243
  • Step2: 249 :(
  • AOA: school does not have a chapter
  • Research: 1 undergrad 2nd author pub. 2 poster presentations. Several longitudinal research experiences that haven't panned out publication wise. 3 first author case reports/series submitted and pending. Perhaps 1 will be accepted before ERAS
  • Extracurriculars: Significant involvement in developing Spanish program at my school. Anatomy TA, longitudinal involvement in peer mentoring local high school/undergrad students with aspirations of going to medschool, longitudinal involvement at school's free clinic. Few other things but overall pretty average
  • LORs:
    • 2 IM: ranging from above average to very strong
    • 1FM: very strong
    • 1 Neuro: very strong
Program List ~40. Mainly targeting mid-tier academic centers with GI in-house. West coast preference

Reaches: UCSD, OHSU (family in OR), U Washington, Baylor, Baylor Dallas, Michigan, Emory

Targets: Scripps Greene, LAC-USC, UCR, Ceders (did an away here. might apply to primary track), UCI, UCLA-harbor, UCLA-olive view, Kaiser LA, Brown, Cincinnati, Case Western, Rush, U of Illinois, UVA, UNC, Wakeforest, USF, U of Miami, U of Florida, U of Houston, Methodist Dallas, Tulane, Dathmouth, U of Vermont

Safeties: Loma Linda, Huntington Hospital, Kaiser Fontana, ARMC, Temecula Valley Hospital, UTMB, Pacific Medical Center, Providence St. Vincent

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance :)

Hiya, M4 also with the tentative goal to apply GI
  • Med school: low-tier socal MD
  • M1-M2 grades: school doesn't rank
  • M3 grades: Honored every rotation
  • M4 grades: Pending currently
  • Step1: 243
  • Step2: 249 :(
  • AOA: school does not have a chapter
  • Research: 1 undergrad 2nd author pub. 2 poster presentations. Several longitudinal research experiences that haven't panned out publication wise. 3 first author case reports/series submitted and pending. Perhaps 1 will be accepted before ERAS
  • Extracurriculars: Significant involvement in developing Spanish program at my school. Anatomy TA, longitudinal involvement in peer mentoring local high school/undergrad students with aspirations of going to medschool, longitudinal involvement at school's free clinic. Few other things but overall pretty average
  • LORs:
    • 2 IM: ranging from above average to very strong
    • 1FM: very strong
    • 1 Neuro: very strong
Program List ~40. Mainly targeting mid-tier academic centers with GI in-house. West coast preference

Reaches: UCSD, OHSU (family in OR), U Washington, Baylor, Baylor Dallas, Michigan, Emory

Targets: Scripps Greene, LAC-USC, UCR, Ceders (did an away here. might apply to primary track), UCI, UCLA-harbor, UCLA-olive view, Kaiser LA, Brown, Cincinnati, Case Western, Rush, U of Illinois, UVA, UNC, Wakeforest, USF, U of Miami, U of Florida, U of Houston, Methodist Dallas, Tulane, Dathmouth, U of Vermont

Safeties: Loma Linda, Huntington Hospital, Kaiser Fontana, ARMC, Temecula Valley Hospital, UTMB, Pacific Medical Center, Providence St. Vincent

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance :)

Will throw out University of Colorado and Utah as solid programs to consider adding to your list if you're targeting the western US. I'm also curious why you list Baylor Dallas and Methodist Dallas as a reach and target program respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will throw out University of Colorado and Utah as solid programs to consider adding to your list if you're targeting the western US. I'm also curious why you list Baylor Dallas and Methodist Dallas as a reach and target program respectively.
Thanks for the input. No real rhyme or reason besides Baylor’s brand- I’m not that familiar with Texas schools outside of what I can interpret on Texas Star

Thanks for the input. No real rhyme or reason besides Baylor’s brand- I’m not that familiar with Texas schools outside of what I can interpret on Texas Star

So the Baylor/Scott and White program in Dallas is not considered under the same Baylor name as the Baylor College of Medicine program in Houston, TX which I know can be very confusing if you're not from Texas. It stems from a historical link back in the 1900s and unfortunately the name was never changed. The Baylor program in Dallas is a smaller community program that is based out of a major tertiary/quaternary hospital but it isn't a traditional academic program. The same applies to the Methodist program in Dallas, a small community program. Both BSW Dallas and Methodist Dallas do have small in-house fellowships for GI.

The main Texas programs that are academic centers based on tiers of generally accepted reputation/prestige/competitiveness are

UTSW/Baylor Houston -> UTSW is considered a top 10ish program while BCM is more top 25
UT Houston -> solid large program that plays second fiddle to BCM since they are both in the Texas Medical Center
UT San Antonio/BSW Temple/UTMB Galveston -> the mid-tier-ish programs of Texas
Texas Tech programs -> typically safety programs

Then there a bunch of the community programs like Baylor Dallas/Methodist in Dallas/Methodist in Houston (no relationship)

Hi everyone, M4 here interested in GI fellowship making sure I'm categorizing and balancing my program list correctly. Appreciate honest feedback!
  • Med School: Mid-tier US MD East coast
  • M3 Grades (H/HP/P system)
    • H- IM, Peds, OB
    • HP- Primary care, surgery, psych
  • M4 Grades: IM Sub-I (TBD- havent received official grade yet)
  • Step 1: 240-245
  • Step 2: 260-265
  • AOA: nominated, pending final election
  • GHHS: yes
  • Research:
    • 2 abstracts, 4 pubs (2 first author), 3 posters. 2 additional papers submitted, pending final decision (1st author, 2nd author)
    • Involved in 3 additional projects, will not have products ready for eras submission
  • Extracurriculars/volunteering: Probably one of my stronger suits. 10-12 activities in total, leadership positions and strong history of service since undergrad. Cannot specify!
  • LOR:
    • 1 IM chair, fairly strong
    • 1 IM Sub-I, strong
    • 1 Surgery, average-strong
  • Geography: Trying to land back in Southern CA, NE US region otherwise
Program list: 30 total
Reaches-

UCSF, MGH, BWH, JHU
UCLA, Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, Cornell, Columbia, Penn

Matches/Targets-
UCSD, Cedars Sinai, USC, Scripps, UC Davis
Yale, Boston U, BIDMC, NYU, Mt Sinai, U Wash

Safeties-
Harbor UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Kaiser LA
GWU, Georgetown, Tufts, Jefferson

Would appreciate input on adding/removing programs, recs for interest in GI and whether im categorizing these programs correctly. Thanks in advance!
Any feedback from @gutonc, @obiwan , @Deecee2DO or others? Anything would be appreciated!

Any feedback from @gutonc, @obiwan , @Deecee2DO or others? Anything would be appreciated!

Overall solid profile and in good shape as a competitive applicant. Clinching honors in your sub-I and getting AOA would just add the cherry on top. I guess since you are prioritizing Cali and the Northeast, just a bit curious about having the Chicago programs in there cause otherwise could consider substituting for another NYC program like Montefiore or OHSU for the west coast

Overall solid profile and in good shape as a competitive applicant. Clinching honors in your sub-I and getting AOA would just add the cherry on top. I guess since you are prioritizing Cali and the Northeast, just a bit curious about having the Chicago programs in there cause otherwise could consider substituting for another NYC program like Montefiore or OHSU for the west coast
Thanks for your response! Chicago programs are on there for some family connections in the suburbs. Montefiore/OHSU are good thoughts.

In terms of reach/match programs, do you feel they are categorized correctly for my profile?

Hey everyone! I’m a USMD, going to a top 10 school. I just wanted some feedback on my program list, and wanted to see if any programs should be added/removed. Thanks!

Step 1: 228
Step 2: 246
Clerkship grades: H 4/6 core clerkships, HP 2/6 (including IM). H in EM and IM sub-I. Haven’t done Neuro yet.
Research: Pending middle author pub, a few abstract/oral/poster presentations
AOA: Possibly, but let’s assume no
Gold Humanism: no
ECs: Mentoring, volunteer/community service work, one leadership position that got suspended due to covid
Career goals: Possibly pulm vs cards vs heme/onc

Donations:
UCSF
BIDMC
Columbia
Cornell
U Penn
Stanford

Reach:
Mayo - Rochester
U Chicago
U Colorado
U Mich
UCLA
UCSD
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Duke
Northwestern

Target:
Tulane
UT Austin
UA Phoenix
UA Tucson
Brown
Icahn - Mt. Sinai
UPMC
Emory
UIC
NYU
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Mayo - AZ
UNC

Safety:
OSU
Louisville
Howard
Meharry
U Miami
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB
Virginia Mason

Thanks for your response! Chicago programs are on there for some family connections in the suburbs. Montefiore/OHSU are good thoughts.

In terms of reach/match programs, do you feel they are categorized correctly for my profile?

Yeah I believe so IMO. I think your profile overall is consistent with a top 25 program applicant and especially if you get the honors/AOA. Cedars/Scripps/UC Davis aren't necessarily what I consider top 25 programs but I know the demand is there for some of those Cali programs

So the Baylor/Scott and White program in Dallas is not considered under the same Baylor name as the Baylor College of Medicine program in Houston, TX which I know can be very confusing if you're not from Texas. It stems from a historical link back in the 1900s and unfortunately the name was never changed. The Baylor program in Dallas is a smaller community program that is based out of a major tertiary/quaternary hospital but it isn't a traditional academic program. The same applies to the Methodist program in Dallas, a small community program. Both BSW Dallas and Methodist Dallas do have small in-house fellowships for GI.

The main Texas programs that are academic centers based on tiers of generally accepted reputation/prestige/competitiveness are

UTSW/Baylor Houston -> UTSW is considered a top 10ish program while BCM is more top 25
UT Houston -> solid large program that plays second fiddle to BCM since they are both in the Texas Medical Center
UT San Antonio/BSW Temple/UTMB Galveston -> the mid-tier-ish programs of Texas
Texas Tech programs -> typically safety programs

Then there a bunch of the community programs like Baylor Dallas/Methodist in Dallas/Methodist in Houston (no relationship)
Appreciate the in-depth breakdown! I was quite un-aware

Looking for feedback on my list and potential signals. Interested in staying on the east coast if possible. Mainly concerned that I am not applying to enough safety/target schools. Thank you in advance!

Mid-tier USMD east coast
M1/M2 Grades: P/F non-ranked (all pass)
M3 Grades: 5/6 H including IM. 1/6 HP.
Research gap year fellowship.
M4 Grades: H in sub-I and Nephrology elective.
Step 1: 250-255
Step 2: 275-280
AOA: Yes
GHHS: Elections ongoing.
Research: 3 publications (one first author), 5-6 posters/abstracts, 2 submitted first author papers, 1 submitted middle author paper (worried this may not be enough from research year, but my mentor insisted on only submitting prospective studies to high impact factor journals).
3-4 other projects with manuscripts and abstracts in preparation but won't be submitted until after ERAS is due.
EC's: Significant teaching/tutoring involvement, other volunteer/service related positions, few leadership and committee positions
LORs: 2 letters from prominent faculty members from research year, 2 letters from Sub-I faculty of moderate significance, 2 letters from MS3 IM rotation (anticipating all of them to be strong/above avg), IM Chair letter
No red flags, geographic preference will be east coast mainly

List - tentative signals denoted by (s):

Reaches
NYP-Columbia (s)
U Penn (s)
Johns Hopkins (s)
Mass Gen Hosp
Brigham & Women's
Duke U Hosp
Vanderbilt U
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA

Targets
NYP-Cornell (s)
University of Maryland (s)
Icahn Mount Sinai Hospital (s)
Yale-New Haven Med Center (s)
University of Rochester
U Michigan
Mayo Rochester
Mayo Arizona
Emory
Thomas Jefferson U
Beth Israel Deaconess
Boston U/BMC
UPMC
UVA
Dartmouth
U Miami

Safeties
Tufts University
University of Vermont
Hopkins Bayview
Stony Brook
Einstein/Montefiore
Brown U
Rutgers RWJ Med
George Washington Univ
Georgetown
Howard University
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Temple U
INOVA Fairfax
VCU
EVMS

Last edited:
Looking for feedback on my list and potential signals. Interested in staying on the east coast if possible. Mainly concerned that I am not applying to enough safety/target schools. Thank you in advance!

Mid-tier USMD east coast
M1/M2 Grades: P/F non-ranked (all pass)
M3 Grades: 5/6 H including IM. 1/6 HP.
Research gap year fellowship.
M4 Grades: H in sub-I and Nephrology elective.
Step 1: 250-255
Step 2: 275-280
GHHS: Elections ongoing.
Research: 3 publications (one first author), 5-6 posters/abstracts, 2 submitted first author papers, 1 submitted middle author paper (worried this may not be enough from research year, but my mentor insisted on only submitting prospective studies to high impact factor journals).
3-4 other projects with manuscripts and abstracts in preparation but won't be submitted until after ERAS is due.
EC's: Significant teaching/tutoring involvement, other volunteer/service related positions, few leadership and committee positions
LORs: 2 letters from prominent faculty members from research year, 2 letters from Sub-I faculty of moderate significance, 2 letters from MS3 IM rotation (anticipating all of them to be strong/above avg), IM Chair letter
No red flags, geographic preference will be east coast mainly

List - tentative signals denoted by (s):

Reaches
NYP-Columbia (s)
U Penn (s)
Johns Hopkins (s)
Mass Gen Hosp
Brigham & Women's
Duke U Hosp
Vanderbilt U
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA

Targets
NYP-Cornell (s)
University of Maryland (s)
Icahn Mount Sinai Hospital (s)
Yale-New Haven Med Center (s)
University of Rochester
U Michigan
Mayo Rochester
Mayo Arizona
Emory
Thomas Jefferson U
Beth Israel Deaconess
Boston U/BMC
UPMC
UVA
Dartmouth
U Miami

Safeties
Tufts University
University of Vermont
Hopkins Bayview
Stony Brook
Einstein/Montefiore
Brown U
Rutgers RWJ Med
George Washington Univ
Georgetown
Howard University
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Temple U
INOVA Fairfax
VCU
EVMS
MayoAZ dartmouth brown Miami Jeff Maryland and UVA are likely safeties to easy targets. The only true reaches for you are the big 4 (MGH UCSF BWH Hopkins) but i think theyre reaches for everyone just a matter of how much of a reach and I think for you not that big of reach as they are mostly interviewing applicants of your caliber. The big 4 interviews three types of applicants in my opinion: ballers like yourself from mid and low tier USMD schools with essentially perfect apps, ballers from ~T20 USMD schools, and above avg applicants from ~T10 USMD schools. All the rest of the schools u have are targets including the other T10 schools ie Duke Penn Columbia. Youre a baller haha its obvious.

PS you dont need that many safeties. You dont need to apply to 15 safeties. Id say applying to a total of 40-50 programs some reach some target and a few safeties should be more than fine. 50 is erring on the side of caution probs dont need that many but you never know with the virtual era

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I’m a USMD, going to a top 10 school. I just wanted some feedback on my program list, and wanted to see if any programs should be added/removed. Thanks!

Step 2: 246
Clerkship grades: H 4/6 core clerkships, HP 2/6 (including IM). H in EM and IM sub-I. Haven’t done Neuro yet.
Research: Pending middle author pub, a few abstract/oral/poster presentations
AOA: Possibly, but let’s assume no
Gold Humanism: no
ECs: Mentoring, volunteer/community service work, one leadership position that got suspended due to covid
Career goals: Possibly pulm vs cards vs heme/onc

Donations:
UCSF
BIDMC
Columbia
Cornell
U Penn
Stanford

Reach:
Mayo - Rochester
U Chicago
U Colorado
U Mich
UCLA
UCSD
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Duke
Northwestern

Target:
Tulane
UT Austin
UA Phoenix
UA Tucson
Brown
Icahn - Mt. Sinai
UPMC
Emory
UIC
NYU
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Mayo - AZ
UNC

Safety:
OSU
Louisville
Howard
Meharry
U Miami
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB
Virginia Mason
Dont underestimate the power of the T10 pedigree. In IM it carries a lot of weight. MayoAZ UT UA Tuscon Tulane etc are huge safeties. Your donations are reaches and your reaches are targets. Cornell is a target Stanford is a target Duke is a reach. AOA, some research, coming from a T10 USMD program and slightly above avg Step 2 opens a lot of doors

Dont underestimate the power of the T10 pedigree. In IM it carries a lot of weight. MayoAZ UT UA Tuscon Tulane etc are huge safeties. Your donations are reaches and your reaches are targets. Cornell is a target Stanford is a target Duke is a reach. AOA, some research, coming from a T10 USMD program and slightly above avg Step 2 opens a lot of doors
Oh wow, thanks! I assumed my lower step 1 and HP on my first IM rotation would be a major barrier for some of the bigger name programs.

MayoAZ dartmouth brown Miami Jeff Maryland and UVA are likely safeties to easy targets. The only true reaches for you are the big 4 (MGH UCSF BWH Hopkins) but i think theyre reaches for everyone just a matter of how much of a reach and I think for you not that big of reach as they are mostly interviewing applicants of your caliber. The big 4 interviews three types of applicants in my opinion: ballers like yourself from mid and low tier USMD schools with essentially perfect apps, ballers from ~T20 USMD schools, and above avg applicants from ~T10 USMD schools. All the rest of the schools u have are targets including the other T10 schools ie Duke Penn Columbia. Youre a baller haha its obvious.

PS you dont need that many safeties. You dont need to apply to 15 safeties. Id say applying to a total of 40-50 programs some reach some target and a few safeties should be more than fine. 50 is erring on the side of caution probs dont need that many but you never know with the virtual era
Thank you for your input! I've definitely just been feeling a lot of imposter syndrome lately when looking at my list. I'll try to be a bit more selective with my safety list. Any input/advice on signaling? Should I bother with UMD/Yale, or signal some of the T10 schools?

Thank you for your input! I've definitely just been feeling a lot of imposter syndrome lately when looking at my list. I'll try to be a bit more selective with my safety list. Any input/advice on signaling? Should I bother with UMD/Yale, or signal some of the T10 schools?
Signal the schools you really wanna go to. Youre competitive for pretty much anywhere. Id say 40 programs is good which seems like a lot but youre targeting a lot of big names so you always wanna be cautious

Last edited:
Hey there everyone. Pretty new to the IM train, was previously interested in surgical oncology before making the switch. Would appreciate any insight here. Stats below:

School: Top 20 Medical School
Grades: P/F non-ranked M1/M2
Rotations: 2 Honors, rest high pass = 4th quartile (...)
Step 1: 235-240
Step 2: Untaken
AOA: Unsure but unlikely
GHHS: Elections ongoing

Research:
- 31 published papers.
- 9 submitted manuscripts
- 1 book chapter published
- 17 poster presentations
- 8 oral presentations

Patents
- 2 accepted/published patents in surgical oncology

Clinical Trials:
- Involved with establishing 2 ongoing clinical trials in medical devices (surgical oncology and general surgery).

Industry:
- Consulted for a medical device company for several years, helping with R&D, pre-clinical development, and clinical trial establishment in the US. Also helped obtain European approval for the device.
- Consulted for another medical device company, bringing the device to widespread clinical trials.
- Consulted for a final med device company - expanding device indications beyond initial use case.
- Currently a Vice President at a biotech startup (~$150M in funding), bringing new therapeutics to oncology patients.

Grants:
- Lead author on a successfully funded $2M NIH grant for one of the above device companies.
- Lead author on a submitted $1.5M NIH grant for a different medical device company.

Honors/Awards:
- An award in surgical oncology for one of top 10 abstracts (at a conference)
- An award in molecular imaging for one of top 5 abstracts (at a conference)

Teaching:
- Taught 4 different courses in undergrad (chemistry, biology, orgo, biochemistry)

Volunteering:
- Serve on the advisory board of a top 10 school's tech transfer office, helping guide faculty/post-docs on developing companies from their research
- Serve on the advisory board of a top 20 school's tech transfer office, helping guide faculty/post-docs on developing companies from their research
- Serve on the board of a biomedical consortium (joint effort between city government, and institutions in the ecosystem) of a leading city in the US
- Volunteered in a free clinic for underserved patients through school (totally 50 hrs or so).

Goals
In all honesty, I want to end up on the east coast (mainly Boston/NYC), at an academic program. My goal is to be in academic oncology - clinical care, academic research, and industry. I grew up on the east coast and would love to return!

Very simplistic list below, obviously will add more, and a safety section.
Reaches:
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
MGH
Brigham
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Northwestern
Hopkins
Penn

Targets
Yale
Emory
Vanderbilt
Beth Israel Deaconness
Tufts
Boston University/BMC
UPMC
Miami

Hey there everyone. Pretty new to the IM train, was previously interested in surgical oncology before making the switch. Would appreciate any insight here. Stats below:

Research:
- 31 published papers.
- 8 oral presentations

Patents

Clinical Trials:
- Involved with establishing 2 ongoing clinical trials in medical devices (surgical oncology and general surgery).

Industry:
- Consulted for a medical device company for several years, helping with R&D, pre-clinical development, and clinical trial establishment in the US. Also helped obtain European approval for the device.
- Consulted for another medical device company, bringing the device to widespread clinical trials.
- Consulted for a final med device company - expanding device indications beyond initial use case.
- Currently a Vice President at a biotech startup (~$150M in funding), bringing new therapeutics to oncology patients.

Grants:
- Lead author on a successfully funded $2M NIH grant for one of the above device companies.
- Lead author on a submitted $1.5M NIH grant for a different medical device company.

Honors/Awards:

Teaching:
- Taught 4 different courses in undergrad (chemistry, biology, orgo, biochemistry)

Volunteering:
- Serve on the advisory board of a top 10 school's tech transfer office, helping guide faculty/post-docs on developing companies from their research
- Serve on the advisory board of a top 20 school's tech transfer office, helping guide faculty/post-docs on developing companies from their research
- Serve on the board of a biomedical consortium (joint effort between city government, and institutions in the ecosystem) of a leading city in the US
- Volunteered in a free clinic for underserved patients through school (totally 50 hrs or so).

Goals
In all honesty, I want to end up on the east coast (mainly Boston/NYC), at an academic program. My goal is to be in academic oncology - clinical care, academic research, and industry. I grew up on the east coast and would love to return!

Reaches:
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
MGH
Brigham
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Northwestern
Hopkins
Penn

Targets
Yale
Emory
Vanderbilt
Beth Israel Deaconness
Tufts
Boston University/BMC
UPMC
Miami
Your CV is nothing short of outstanding. 31 published papers…. as an M4 haha wow. You go to a T20 med school and have a CV like that your slightly above avg clinical grades and Step score arent really going to hold u back from the T10 programs. I wouldnt be surprised if you got love from a few of the T10 programs and even the big 4.

Your CV is nothing short of outstanding. 31 published papers…. as an M4 haha wow. You go to a T20 med school and have a CV like that your slightly above avg clinical grades and Step score arent really going to hold u back from the T10 programs. I wouldnt be surprised if you got love from a few of the T10 programs and even the big 4.
I appreciate it – thank you. I was hesitant given the very last minute switch into IM, as well as having a subpar clinical/step 1 performance. As far as I'm aware, it appears that IM focuses heavily on those two metrics (Step1/2 and quartiles), and so I was concerned that would preclude me from a strong academic program where I'd most certainly thrive. Obviously nothing I can change at the moment but will try to do as best as I can on Step 2.

Hi everyone, wanted to get some opinions on:
- right number of programs to apply (36)? or too few given virtual interviews? too many reaches or nah?
- any programs to add/remove from list?
- which programs to signal? (I realize this is relatively new, but any words of wisdom on this would help)
- competitiveness for T10-20 programs? (I realize this is a crapshoot probably)

Med School: US MD (Mid-Tier)
Step 1:
255-260
Step 2: 265-270
Clerkship grades: 5 H, 1 HP (not IM), HP IM sub-I (sadly)
Research: 11 pubs accepted (1 first author), 1 first author submitted, 6 abstracts, 6 posters/oral pres, most research surgical not IM
AOA/Gold Humanism: TBD AOA (fingers crossed), no GHHS
ECs: solid leadership, good volunteering, no real work experience, 10 nonresearch activities total, nothing crazy

Career goals: Cards
State: Cali

Reach: BWH, MGH, UCSF, JHH, UPenn, Cornell (s), NW, Duke (s), UCLA (s), Columbia, Stanford (s), UW (s), Ann Harbor, Yale
Target: BIDMC, Mt Sinai, Case Western, USC, UCSD, NYU, Emory, UTSW (s), UCI, UCD, Cedars (s), Mayo Az
Safety: Olive View, Harbor UCLA, Kaiser (x4), few other local Cali safeties

- right number of programs to apply (36)? or too few given virtual interviews? too many reaches or nah?
- which programs to signal? (I realize this is relatively new, but any words of wisdom on this would help)

Step 1:
255-260
Research: 11 pubs accepted (1 first author), 1 first author submitted, 6 abstracts, 6 posters/oral pres, most research surgical not IM
ECs: solid leadership, good volunteering, no real work experience, 10 nonresearch activities total, nothing crazy

Reach: BWH, MGH, UCSF, JHH, UPenn, Cornell (s), NW, Duke (s), UCLA (s), Columbia, Stanford (s), UW (s), Ann Harbor, Yale
Target: BIDMC, Mt Sinai, Case Western, USC, UCSD, NYU, Emory, UTSW (s), UCI, UCD, Cedars (s), Mayo Az
Only real reaches for you are MGH JHH BWH UCSF UPenn Duke and Columbia but i still think you have a great shot at the latter 3. The Big 4 are hard for anyone just basically luck of the draw. Michigan Yale Cornell Stanford UW NW UCLA are targets. Your safeties are accurate maybe add Wake Forest and Georgetown to safeties and CCF (cards), UNC, BU, Brown UVA and Dartmouth to targets.

Step 1:
255-260

Are interviews basically staying virtual from now on ?

Are interviews basically staying virtual from now on ?
Not sure, I'm guessing IM will be from an equity perspective (cost and international applicants having to travel w/ uncertain quarantine rules). Ortho will probably switch to in-person sooner rather than later, can't assess buffness virtually that well.

Research:
- 31 published papers.
- 8 oral presentations

Patents

Clinical Trials:

Industry:

Grants:

Honors/Awards:

Teaching:

Volunteering:

Goals

Reaches:
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
MGH
Brigham
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Northwestern
Hopkins
Penn

Targets
Yale
Emory
Vanderbilt
Beth Israel Deaconness
Tufts
Boston University/BMC
UPMC
Miami
@gutonc - just curious your thoughts here. Appreciate it.

Looking for advice on program list:

Med school rank: mid-tier state MD school
Step 1: 232
Step 2 ck: 241
AOA: no
Preclinical: P/F system, all P
3rd yr grades: P/F system, all P; good remarks on MSPE
4th year: Honored IM AI w/ good remarks
Research: 4 pubs (mid-author), 2 abstracts published, 3 posters
LOR: Seem solid from IM faculty at academic center
ECs: Unremarkable
Red Flags: none

Reach: Colorado, University of Michigan, Duke, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Texas @ Austin, UWashington

Target: Alabama, Mayo AZ, Yale, George Washington, Georgetown, Maryland, Tufts, Minnesota, Dartmouth, New Mexico, UNC, Wake Forest, Oregon, Penn State Hershey, Brown, MUSC, Texas @ San Antonio, Utah, UVA, Medical College Wisconsin, UWisconsin

Safety: Arizona-Phoenix, Arizona-Tucson, Medical College of Georgia, Maine, Vermont, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth

• Research:
  • LOR:

Reaches
Baylor
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Emory
UCSD
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush

Targets
UT Austin Dell
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Mayo Florida
UF Gainesville
USF

Safeties
UTHSCSA
UTMB Galveston

Thank you again for your help! @obiwan. Updated my list of programs. Would appreciate any feedback and/or if this is enough programs to apply to considering avg stats. Or if you feel like I miscategorized a program for my stats. Perhaps adding more safeties or are those enough?

Reaches
University of Alabama - Birmingham
Scripps Green
UC San Diego
Stanford University
University of Colorado
Yale Univeristy
Emory University
Northwestern University
Boston University
Washington University
Duke University
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
UPMC
Vanderbilt University
UTSW
Baylor Houston
University of Virginia

Targets
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Mayo Clinic - Arizona
University of Arizona - Tuscon
UC Irvine
Eisenhower
UC Davis
Scripps Mercy
University of Florida - Gainseville
Mayo Clinic - Jacksonville
University of Miami - Jackson
Orlando Health
University of South Florida
Rush University
University of Illinois
Loyola University
Indiana University
Maine Medical Center
Tufts University
University of Massachussets - Chan
St. Louis University
Dartmouth University
University of North Carolina
University of Cincinnati
Case Western University
Cleveland Clinic - Foundation
Brown University
Medical University South Carolina
UT Austin Dell
BUMC
UTMB
UT Houston
Methodist Houston
UTHSCSA
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Washington
Georgetown University
George Washington University

Safeties
Sutter Health
University of Miami - Holy Cross
University of Florida - Jacksonville
Mount Sinai - Florida
Cleveland Clinic - Florida
Carolinas Medical Center
Methodist Dallas
BSW Round Rock
BSW Temple

Thank you again for your help! @obiwan. Updated my list of programs. Would appreciate any feedback and/or if this is enough programs to apply to considering avg stats. Or if you feel like I miscategorized a program for my stats. Perhaps adding more safeties or are those enough?

Reaches
Scripps Green
UC San Diego
Stanford University
University of Colorado
Yale Univeristy
Emory University
Northwestern University
Boston University
Washington University
Duke University
UPMC
Vanderbilt University
UTSW
Baylor Houston
University of Virginia

Targets
Mayo Clinic - Arizona
UC Irvine
Eisenhower
UC Davis
Scripps Mercy
Orlando Health
Rush University
University of Illinois
Loyola University
Indiana University
Maine Medical Center
Tufts University
St. Louis University
Dartmouth University
University of Cincinnati
Case Western University
Brown University
UT Austin Dell
BUMC
UTMB
UT Houston
Methodist Houston
UTHSCSA
University of Washington
Georgetown University

Safeties
Sutter Health
Mount Sinai - Florida
Carolinas Medical Center
Methodist Dallas
BSW Round Rock
BSW Temple
Wake Forest and UVA are targets def not reaches. UVA is nowhere near the other programs you have grouped as reaches and Scripps and Wake Forest like way nowhere near. Your reaches>>UVA>WF>Scripps. Rest look good

Looking for advice on program list:

Med school rank: mid-tier state MD school
Step 1: 232
Step 2 ck: 241
AOA: no
Preclinical: P/F system, all P
3rd yr grades: P/F system, all P; good remarks on MSPE
4th year: Honored IM AI w/ good remarks
Research: 4 pubs (mid-author), 2 abstracts published, 3 posters
LOR: Seem solid from IM faculty at academic center
ECs: Unremarkable

Reach: Colorado, University of Michigan, Duke, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Texas @ Austin, UWashington

Target: Alabama, Mayo AZ, Yale, George Washington, Georgetown, Maryland, Tufts, Minnesota, Dartmouth, New Mexico, UNC, Wake Forest, Oregon, Penn State Hershey, Brown, MUSC, Texas @ San Antonio, Utah, UVA, Medical College Wisconsin, UWisconsin

Safety: Arizona-Phoenix, Arizona-Tucson, Medical College of Georgia, Maine, Vermont, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth
Yale UAB UNC are reaches. Texas Austin is target to safety. UVM target not safety

Reaches
Scripps Green
UC San Diego
Stanford University
University of Colorado
Yale Univeristy
Emory University
Northwestern University
Boston University
Washington University
Duke University
UPMC
Vanderbilt University
UTSW
Baylor Houston
University of Virginia

Targets
Mayo Clinic - Arizona
UC Irvine
Eisenhower
UC Davis
Scripps Mercy
Orlando Health
Rush University
University of Illinois
Loyola University
Indiana University
Maine Medical Center
Tufts University
St. Louis University
Dartmouth University
University of Cincinnati
Case Western University
Brown University
UT Austin Dell
BUMC
UTMB
UT Houston
Methodist Houston
UTHSCSA
University of Washington
Georgetown University

Safeties
Sutter Health
Mount Sinai - Florida
Carolinas Medical Center
Methodist Dallas
BSW Round Rock
BSW Temple
60+ programs for even an average allopathic student is a bit excessive so I definitely would not recommend adding any more programs including to your safeties.

I've been working hard to put together a competitive app, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot last second by improperly balancing my list. I appreciate any and all insight! My goal is to match a strong program with good cardiology fellowship placement.

Med school rank: T30 (?) USMD
Step 1: 250
Step 2 CK: 256
Preclinical: P/F
3rd yr grades: 3 Honors (including IM), 3 High Pass
4th year: P/F; great evals on Sub-I
Research: All focused in cardiology; 7 pubs (some first-author), 7 abstracts published, 3 posters
LOR: Strong letters from Sub-I and other M4 electives
ECs: Good mix of mentoring, leadership, and volunteering

Reach:
Mass Gen
Brigham
UCSF
Hopkins
Duke
Mayo Clinic
U Michigan
Northwestern
Beth Israel
Yale
Stanford
Vanderbilt

Target:
Case Western
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Jacksonville
UNC Chapel Hill
U Chicago
UVA

Safety:
Hopkins Bayview
Henry Ford
Indiana University
MUSC
Ohio State
Rush
U Cincinatti
U Miami
U Wisconsin
Wake Forest
GeorgeTown
U Florida
UIC
VCU

Thoughts? I currently have 32 programs, and want to confirm whether this is a balanced list for my application. More than happy to take any recommendations on additions/subtractions too.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year US DO aiming for academic Internal Medicine. I am interested in Cardiology or possibly Heme/Onc fellowship.

I'm struggling gauging how competitive I may be, and I am about to signal programs on my supplemental application and don't want to aim too high. Please be brutally honest. Also, my COMLEX scores are not great, but I took both USMLE exams and studied for those and I hope that programs look at those and not COMLEX.

Med School Rank: Low (US DO)
Level 1: 488
Step 2 CK: 247
Level 2: 557
AOA: N/A
Preclinical: A, B, C
3rd yr grades: 10 As, 2 Bs
4th year: A, B, C; good evals
Research: I have done a lot of research, but sadly only have 1 publication. I have a ton of publications in the works, but none of them are ready to publish yet just because of factors outside of my control.
LOR: Should be 3 strong LORs. One is from an FM PD, another from an Interventional cardiologist, and another from Heme/Onc. My school does not have our own IM department so I don't have a chair's letter. This is probably less than ideal, I know...
ECs: 2 work, 2 research, 4 volunteer.
Red Flags: None

I used residency explorer and I fell in range at a lot of these places, but if any of these are laughable and I shouldn't bother applying, please don't hesitate to say. I am not intimately familiar with all of these places, and many of these programs may not take DOs, or may be more prestigious than I realize, etc.

Regional signals:
-New England
-Mid Atlantic
-South Atlantic

Reach Programs:
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-Temple
-CCF (Fairview)
-U Cincinatti
-George Washington
-U Maryland
-U Chicago Northshore
-U. Illinois Chicago

Target:
-UMass
-UConn
-Penn State Hershey
-VCU
-U Buffalo
-VT Carillion Clinic
-Allegheny Health Network
-WVU
-Albert Einstein (Philly)

Any thoughts? I was thinking of signaling Dartmouth, Wake Forest (Personal connection to Wake; I know its unrealistic), Temple, UMass, UConn, (PSU Hershey doesn't do signals), VCU, and one other. Any input is appreciated. Also, I am applying to around 50 places, I have a ton of safeties, these are just the places I am aiming for. I was told to go to the best residency possible if you want to do a fellowship.

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year US DO aiming for academic Internal Medicine. I am interested in Cardiology or possibly Heme/Onc fellowship.

I'm struggling gauging how competitive I may be, and I am about to signal programs on my supplemental application and don't want to aim too high. Please be brutally honest. Also, my COMLEX scores are not great, but I took both USMLE exams and studied for those and I hope that programs look at those and not COMLEX.

Research: I have done a lot of research, but sadly only have 1 publication. I have a ton of publications in the works, but none of them are ready to publish yet just because of factors outside of my control.
LOR: Should be 3 strong LORs. One is from an FM PD, another from an Interventional cardiologist, and another from Heme/Onc. My school does not have our own IM department so I don't have a chair's letter. This is probably less than ideal, I know...

I used residency explorer and I fell in range at a lot of these places, but if any of these are laughable and I shouldn't bother applying, please don't hesitate to say. I am not intimately familiar with all of these places, and many of these programs may not take DOs, or may be more prestigious than I realize, etc.

Regional signals:
-New England
-Mid Atlantic
-South Atlantic

Reach Programs:
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-Temple
-CCF (Fairview)
-U Cincinatti
-George Washington
-U Maryland
-U Chicago Northshore
-U. Illinois Chicago

Target:
-UMass
-UConn
-Penn State Hershey
-VCU
-U Buffalo
-VT Carillion Clinic
-WVU

Any thoughts? I was thinking of signaling Dartmouth, Wake Forest (Personal connection to Wake; I know its unrealistic), Temple, UMass, UConn, (PSU Hershey doesn't do signals), VCU, and one other. Any input is appreciated. Also, I am applying to around 50 places, I have a ton of safeties, these are just the places I am aiming for. I was told to go to the best residency possible if you want to do a fellowship.
Only true super reaches are Dartmouth and Maryland. Rest are fine. Wakes a reach but they have DOs and you have a connection you said. Dartmouth has like 1 DO in the entire program and they usually only have 1 or 2 in the whole IM program at one time and Maryland has i think zero DOs

I've been working hard to put together a competitive app, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot last second by improperly balancing my list. I appreciate any and all insight! My goal is to match a strong program with good cardiology fellowship placement.

Med school rank: T30 (?) USMD
Step 1: 250
Step 2 CK: 256
Preclinical: P/F
3rd yr grades: 3 Honors (including IM), 3 High Pass
4th year: P/F; great evals on Sub-I
Research: All focused in cardiology; 7 pubs (some first-author), 7 abstracts published, 3 posters
LOR: Strong letters from Sub-I and other M4 electives
ECs: Good mix of mentoring, leadership, and volunteering

Reach:
Mass Gen
Brigham
UCSF
Hopkins
Duke
Mayo Clinic
U Michigan
Northwestern
Beth Israel
Yale
Stanford
Vanderbilt

Target:
Case Western
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Jacksonville
UNC Chapel Hill
U Chicago
UVA

Safety:
Hopkins Bayview
Henry Ford
Indiana University
MUSC
Ohio State
Rush
U Cincinatti
U Miami
U Wisconsin
Wake Forest
GeorgeTown
U Florida
UIC
VCU

Thoughts? I currently have 32 programs, and want to confirm whether this is a balanced list for my application. More than happy to take any recommendations on additions/subtractions too.
You're a competitive applicant so I have a hard time seeing you drop below your target list and doubt you need that many "safety" programs. If you want, you can add a few more target programs like a UPMC but not necessary

Hello everyone,

Regional signals:
-New England
-Mid Atlantic
-South Atlantic

Reach Programs:
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-Temple
-CCF (Fairview)
-U Cincinatti
-George Washington
-U Maryland
-U Chicago Northshore
-U. Illinois Chicago

Target:
-UMass
-UConn
-Penn State Hershey
-VCU
-U Buffalo
-VT Carillion Clinic
-WVU

Dartmouth is a super reach and so is Maryland. Wake Forest is a reach but better chance because there are actually a few DOs on the roster. Rest are good!

Med School: Top 20
M1-M2 grades: not ranked, all p/f
M3 grades: All honors (including IM) except one (HP); expecting H on subI
Step 2: 25x
AOA: not offered
GHHS: no
Research: 3 published (1 first author, 2 second author pubs), 6 submitted (2 first author), 10+ posters/orals, all research is in IM field
Extracurriculars: most solid part of app I think with multiple leadership experiences, working with underserved, free clinic, medical education stuff
LOR: one from research mentor in IM sub specialty (solid), one from IM third year clerkship preceptor (solid), chair, still trying to decide for fourth letter (will likely be anywhere from good to really solid, deciding between subI preceptor vs elective preceptor… any advice appreciated)
Geographic: no preferences
Red flags: none
Other: hoping to do competitive IM fellowship in either cards or GI

List:
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
Mount Sinai
BIDMC
UCSF
Northwestern
Emory
UChicago
UCLA
Yale
BU
Tufts
Vanderbilt
Stanford
UPenn

WAMC at the big 4 and other T10 programs? thoughts on if I should add more safeties / target programs ?

Med School: Top 20
M3 grades: All honors (including IM) except one (HP); expecting H on subI
Step 2: 25x
GHHS: no
Research: 3 published (1 first author, 2 second author pubs), 6 submitted (2 first author), 10+ posters/orals, all research is in IM field
Extracurriculars: most solid part of app I think with multiple leadership experiences, working with underserved, free clinic, medical education stuff
LOR: one from research mentor in IM sub specialty (solid), one from IM third year clerkship preceptor (solid), chair, still trying to decide for fourth letter (will likely be anywhere from good to really solid, deciding between subI preceptor vs elective preceptor… any advice appreciated)
Geographic: no preferences
Other: hoping to do competitive IM fellowship in either cards or GI

List:
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
Mount Sinai
BIDMC
UCSF
Northwestern
Emory
UChicago
UCLA
Yale
BU
Tufts
Vanderbilt
Stanford
UPenn

WAMC at the big 4 and other T10 programs? thoughts on if I should add more safeties / target programs ?
You may get all 4 invites to the big 4 or you may get none but should be able to get top 10 interviews. When you are talking about these top 10 programs particularly the big 4, all the applicants pretty much have at least the same caliber of application if not better as far as STEP numbers/AOA/research etc etc as you can gather if you look through this thread at your fellow peers

If that is your entire list, then 100% percent YES that you should absolutely add more targets and safeties (I don't see a safety program in your list and your home program doesn't count as one if you are at a top 20 school). If the average applicant is doing 20-30 programs, they should have 5-10 of each for targets and safeties (if you are a solid applicant then don't need as many safeties but they should definitely be there)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Med School: Unranked southern
M3 grades: All honors (7/8) except neurology. Honors in IM Sub-internship
Step 1: Low 240's
Step 2: Low 260's
GHHS: not offered
Research: 1 published manuscript from undergrad (middle author), 1 first author manuscript in progress, 6 conference posters/abstracts various specialties.
Extracurriculars: multiple leadership experiences, working with underserved, free clinic, medical education stuff, mentorship. Nothing insane but all solid.
LOR: one from 3rd year IM preceptor, one from 3rd year FM preceptor (both solid), one from IM Sub-I preceptor (also likely very solid based on feedback), IM Chair letter
Geographic: Signalling Mountain, South Atlantic, and Northeast (have hometown and family ties to mountain and family times to other two)

Reaches: University of Washington, U of Utah, U of Colorado, Mayo Arizona, UNC, Brown

Targets: Creighton - Phoenix, Georgetown, George Washington, George Washington Hospital, U of Virginia, Anne Arundel VCU, U of Maryland, Wake Forest, MUSC, Carolinas Medical Center, Boston U, UMass Chan, Tufts, Carilion Clinic, U of Phoenix, U of Tucson, UNLV, Midwestern - Mesa

Safeties: Billings Clinic, UW Boise, Baylor All Saints, HCA Health One, Honor Health, St. Joseph Hospital Program

I have a few more programs but my list is at home. I'm honestly a little lost as to where my competitiveness is at. My school was less helpful than I had hoped so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Med School: Mid-tier MD
Step 1: 26X
Step 2: 26X
Clerkship grades: H 3/7 core clerkships, NH 2/7 (including IM, P 2/7. Honored IM sub-I and all other fourth year grades.
Class rank: 2nd Quartile
Research: Pending case report ... not much otherwise.
AOA: No
Gold Humanism: No
ECs: Mentoring, volunteer/community service work, one leadership position
Career goals: Possibly crit care vs cards vs heme/onc

Reach:
UTSW
Duke
Baylor
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
WashU

Target:
Dartmouth
University of Florida
University of Miami
Brown
Oregon Health Science University
UNC University of Virginia Medical Center
UTMB
UTH
University of Tennessee
Wake Forest
UF - Jacksonville
Baylor Scott White
Baylor University Medical Center
Mayo - Jacksonville

Safety:
Methodist Hospital Houston
Rush
UMKC
Loyola

I have no idea what I'm doing. I based this off the Research Productivity ranking on Doximity. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Med School: Unranked southern
M3 grades: All honors (7/8) except neurology. Honors in IM Sub-internship
Step 1: Low 240's
Step 2: Low 260's
GHHS: not offered
Research: 1 published manuscript from undergrad (middle author), 1 first author manuscript in progress, 6 conference posters/abstracts various specialties.
Extracurriculars: multiple leadership experiences, working with underserved, free clinic, medical education stuff, mentorship. Nothing insane but all solid.
LOR: one from 3rd year IM preceptor, one from 3rd year FM preceptor (both solid), one from IM Sub-I preceptor (also likely very solid based on feedback), IM Chair letter
Geographic: Signalling Mountain, South Atlantic, and Northeast (have hometown and family ties to mountain and family times to other two)

Reaches: University of Washington, U of Utah, U of Colorado, Mayo Arizona, UNC, Brown

Targets: Creighton - Phoenix, Georgetown, George Washington, George Washington Hospital, U of Virginia, Anne Arundel VCU, U of Maryland, Wake Forest, MUSC, Carolinas Medical Center, Boston U, UMass Chan, Tufts, Carilion Clinic, U of Phoenix, U of Tucson, UNLV, Midwestern - Mesa

Safeties: Billings Clinic, UW Boise, Baylor All Saints, HCA Health One, Honor Health, St. Joseph Hospital Program

I have a few more programs but my list is at home. I'm honestly a little lost as to where my competitiveness is at. My school was less helpful than I had hoped so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Mayo AZ not a reach at all. Target