Official: GREAT MCAT + TERRIBLE GPA THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine_man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I started this thread because, upon looking at the postbacc forums, I noticed that there are a lot of people (especially those applying or accepted to the georgetown smp) with relatively poor GPAs (<3.4) and AMCAS BCMP (<3.2), but somehow turn out with exceptional MCAT scores (>29 or 30).

Currently, I am a second semester Junior w/ a GPA of 3.268 and a BCMP of about 2.8. I am hoping to graduate college with around a 3.5 and a 3.2 respectively. I will be taking the MCAT this August, and I am really nervous that because my GPA is relatively low, I will score relatively low on the MCAT (<27).

Just for my own sake of encouragement, is there anyone out there who has, or knows someone who has accomplished a relatively good MCAT score with a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian GPA here, dunno how it relates, but I'm sitting at a 3.4 on the 4.0 gpa scale, and got a 33P on the MCAT last august.

medicine_man said:
I guess I started this thread because, upon looking at the postbacc forums, I noticed that there are a lot of people (especially those applying or accepted to the georgetown smp) with relatively poor GPAs (<3.4) and AMCAS BCMP (<3.2), but somehow turn out with exceptional MCAT scores (>29 or 30).

Currently, I am a second semester Junior w/ a GPA of 3.268 and a BCMP of about 2.8. I am hoping to graduate college with around a 3.5 and a 3.2 respectively. I will be taking the MCAT this August, and I am really nervous that because my GPA is relatively low, I will score relatively low on the MCAT (<27).

Just for my own sake of encouragement, is there anyone out there who has, or knows someone who has accomplished a relatively good MCAT score with a low GPA?

I had an AMCAS Overall GPA of 2.9, and a BCMP of 3.1 and got a 38. My grades were more due to lack of effort though and lack of focus. I didn't decide to go to medical school until I went to graduate school, where I have a 3.45.