Official: GREAT MCAT + TERRIBLE GPA THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine_man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
---I am sorry if this is redundant. I wasn't sure which forum to post this Thread in---

I guess I started this thread because, upon looking at the postbacc forums, I noticed that there are a lot of people (especially those applying or accepted to the georgetown smp) with relatively poor GPAs (<3.4) and AMCAS BCMPs (<3.2), but somehow turn out with exceptional MCAT scores (>29 or 30).

Currently, I am a second semester Junior w/ a GPA of 3.268 and a BCMP of about 2.8. I am hoping to graduate college with around a 3.5 and a 3.2 respectively. I will be taking the MCAT this August, and I am really nervous that because my GPA is relatively low, I will score relatively low on the MCAT (<27).

Just for my own sake of encouragement, is there anyone out there who has, or knows someone who has accomplished a relatively good MCAT score with a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out MDapplicants.com, there are some people with the low gpa/high mcat combo. Most of them have some kind of postbacc/smp/ms work under their belt though.

I'm right around a 3.4, and scored a 29 on the MCAT. I wouldn't call my MCAT exceptional by any means, but when compared w/ the usual GPA accompanied by it, my MCAT is better than my GPA in relative terms.

So....go for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a 3.0 bcpm, 3.0 overall, 33 mcat

3.3 GPA, 3.1 BCPM, 30 MCAT...3 waitlists so far. :oops:

I had a 3.37 GPA and a 38R MCAT so of course I think it's feasible. I took the Princeton Review and did a lot of problems in the science workbook though. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

Wow you guys, how did you do it? It's good to know that I still have a shot at doing well on the MCAT.

I think a discrepancy between someone's gpa and mcat scores can largely be attributed to the fact that the two are really measures of different things. The mcat does measure your science knowledge to some degree, but what it is really designed to measure is your analytical reasoning ability, your ability to quickly and accurately assimilate written information, and your ability to express yourself through writing. While under pressure.

Your gpa, on the other hand, is really a much broader reflection of your motivations and circumstances in college as well as your intellectual ability. Your gpa is affected not only by your innate intelligence but also by a host of other variables including whether or not you had good professors, how much you had to work during school, how motivated you were while taking those classes, etc...

There are a lot of people who are capable of scoring highly on standardized tests (including the mcat), but for whatever reason didn't get excellent grades in undergrad coursework. For instance, I've always scored at or near the top of the heap in every standardized test I've ever taken: IQ tests, ACT, MCAT, whatever. However, my grades in highschool were not in the top 25% of my class, and my undergrad gpa was only 3.12. Why? Not because I wasn't capable, but because I didn't care. I was too busy partying. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Once I decided to pursue medicine things changed though. Post-bac grades were 3.9 cum. and bcpm, and I got a 32mcat the first try without having taken all of my basic science classes yet. And I was accepted at my state schools on the first try.

So, yes it is very possible to get a good mcat score (and get accepted) even if you don't have a great gpa (mine was only 3.3 cum. at application). I'm sure my story is probably similar to a lot of post-bac applicants with low gpa / high mcat combos.

3.4, 35r here

medicine_man said:
---I am sorry if this is redundant. I wasn't sure which forum to post this Thread in---

I guess I started this thread because, upon looking at the postbacc forums, I noticed that there are a lot of people (especially those applying or accepted to the georgetown smp) with relatively poor GPAs (<3.4) and AMCAS BCMPs (<3.2), but somehow turn out with exceptional MCAT scores (>29 or 30).

Currently, I am a second semester Junior w/ a GPA of 3.268 and a BCMP of about 2.8. I am hoping to graduate college with around a 3.5 and a 3.2 respectively. I will be taking the MCAT this August, and I am really nervous that because my GPA is relatively low, I will score relatively low on the MCAT (<27).

Just for my own sake of encouragement, is there anyone out there who has, or knows someone who has accomplished a relatively good MCAT score with a low GPA?

I replied to your other post. 2.9 AMCAS GPA, 38 MCAT, no acceptances though

putzeled said:
There are a lot of people who are capable of scoring highly on standardized tests (including the mcat), but for whatever reason didn't get excellent grades in undergrad coursework. For instance, I've always scored at or near the top of the heap in every standardized test I've ever taken: IQ tests, ACT, MCAT, whatever. However, my grades in highschool were not in the top 25% of my class, and my undergrad gpa was only 3.12. Why? Not because I wasn't capable, but because I didn't care. I was too busy partying. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Once I decided to pursue medicine things changed though. Post-bac grades were 3.9 cum. and bcpm, and I got a 32mcat the first try without having taken all of my basic science classes yet. And I was accepted at my state schools on the first try.
I can't agree with this statement more. My undergrad gpa was barely a 3.1, but I was computer science and had no motivation to do anything with it. After I figured out what I wanted, I hit about 4.0 in BCPM in a postbac program and 40Q on the MCAT. I've got 3 acceptances and a waitlist so far... waiting for another decision and one last interview. Unless you have some incredible experiences to talk about youre going to need either a decent gpa or mcat to distinguish yourself from the crowd and get a chance to sell yourself at an interview. In my case my mcat score almost hurts me bc interviewers see the discrepancy between it and my undergrad grades.... the general reaction is "wtf?" :laugh:

This is hilarious.

3.23/2.88/36

3.2/34. 10 interviews, 4 acceptances so far. it's totally possible.

3.1 (bad grades...good parties though)
36Q

1 interview coming up..

As long as the parties were good. :D

2.92/2.95/40P

3 waitlists, 1 decision coming up, 1 interview coming up.

2.77 undergrad GPA in German and business
3.88 post bach GPA, all sciences
36Q MCAT
4 year health policy experience

5 secondaries sent, two interview, one wait list, and keeping fingers crossed on that last chance.

3.55 overall GPA, 3.3 science GPA, 37 MCAT

invited for interviews at UF (accepted and i'm going there), Tufts (delayed decision, but i'm going to withdraw), Emory (haven't heard, but i'm going to withdraw), Duke (rejected), Pitt (waitlisted, but i withdrew), and Jefferson (withdrew before interview)

3.3 gpa, 3.3 BCMP, 31N --> hadn't had a science course in 4 years, but studied by @ss off for the MCAT.

1 interview, 1 acceptance at my state school, which is where I wanted to go anyways.

naimist said:
3.3 GPA, 3.1 BCPM, 30 MCAT...3 waitlists so far. :oops:

Were you waitlisted pre or post interview? I'm just wondering because I have a 3.4, 3.3 BCPM, a 30 and a big fat pile of rejections with no interviews. :mad: Of course, I'm a CA resident and an August MCATer, so that may have something to do with it. But I didn't only apply to CA schools or Ivies, so I'm wondering what's up. :luck: to you.

3.15GPA, 3.2 BCMP, 30Q (9,10,11) on the MCAT.

GPA reflects hard work and focus during 4 years.
MCAT reflects intelligence and ability to read and understand new material w/o spending hours trying to do it.

Just my 2-cents.

Scott