Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The following is something I have wondered for some time-but really have never investigated: Does anyone know how many students are enrolled in our Health Careers Program at Harvard? And Further, Does anyone know the number of Diploma candidates enrolled on average?

I never asked Dr. Fixsen this question- I am thinking that perhaps RM or Sketo might have an answer.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that each year about 50 kids get sponsored, of whom about 47 get in. Sponsorship acceptance rates are tough to produce because a lot of kids go through their Harvard College house or Yale college, etc. And there are those students who don't forward acceptance e-mails to HCP. In terms of total numbers for HCP, hmm....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey RM or anyone else that knows the answer,
As you mentioned that around 50 students get sponsored each year, I was wondering if you know what kind of GPAs are those "50" students keeping at Harvard Ext. HCP? I have a quite good GPA but I am coming from a Private University not even ranked, and I do understand that Harvard classes will be way tougher than my current University. Even though I know that there is no way for me to predict how the classes are there, I think I should be able to keep a 3.7-3.8ish at HCP...so would that be "sponsorable?" lol......but yeah...more then that I would like to know what kind of stats do the people have that get sponsored each year. Also, besides GPA at HCP....are there any other factors that matter towards the sponsorship?

Thank you,
DannyV

1. How long after they receive your application and all required documents does it take for you to hear of your acceptance decision?

2. Is on-campus housing (e.g. dormitory) available to us during the school year? If so, how does one apply for it?

Thanks.

here you go ..

1. you should hear from them within two weeks of SENDING in the application in mail.

2. No housing is available for Harvard Ext.....even for the HCP program.

hope that helps.....(the answers are based on research through the forums..not experience)

-DannyV

Danny,
As long as your above a 3.5 you should be fine for sponsorship.

Hello all,

New here, and I'm looking into post bacc courses at Harvard ext. I'm moving to Boston from VA in August. Do they run a rolling admissions? Is it too late to apply now and start taking classes in Fall '09?

hey guys. I was wondering what the cost is for the program?

is it calculated per credit like Columbia? or is it per course? website says: 900 - (~) 1900 for courses...

Also, does anyone know the best way to get to philadelphia from harvard area? I live in NY but i will be needing to travel to philly a lot... was wondering if anyone had any idea.

thanks

Apply ASAP, but I think people get in as late as September (this was a few years ago).

I'm originally from Philly. Best route for me was... Acela. Runners up were BoltBus or Limoliner to NYC, and then taking the NJ Transit or Greyhound down. Boltbus also does NYC-> Philly. Might also want to check out megabus.

Prices are per course, undergrad. So it is about 900 per course. Pretty cheap.

that sounds TOO cheap! lol other places are like more than a grand PER CREDIT lol

anyways... thats cool... though what you said to me was like in foreign language... gotta do some more research. I know from NY Penn station to Philly is about 20 bux for train (NJ transit) but is there some sort of thing like that from boston to philly? n how much is your best method? I will have a car but I don't wanna make the drive nor put that much milage on it...

thanks

Howdy,

Does anyone have a clue as to which post-bacc is looked upon more favorably by medical school admissions: UPenn's Special Sciences program or Harvard's Health Careers Program?

I am deciding between the two, but Harvard's program is much less expensive so I am leaning towards it.

Thanks,
Refugee

Hey all -

So I will just be direct and say that I've been rejected by the HCP program at HES. I was told that my science GPA was too low though other parts of my application were solid. Therefore, I am strongly considering taking a few classes this fall at Harvard and then reapply for entrance in the spring (provided acceptance, I can apply those courses taken as an informal post-baccer into the HC program requirements). What do you all think of this idea?

However, two important items would first have to fall into place in a relatively soon manner...

1) Housing:
I am seeking an apartment or house in the Cambridge or surrounding area, close to one of the Harvard bus lines . I'm preferably looking for roommates enrolling or have been enrolled in the HCP, a young working professional, or a traditional university student. I'm very easy to get along with, and am a very kind-hearted and happy person :) Ofcourse I'm also planning on keeping busy with working and taking night classes at Harvard but would also like to dedicate some amount of free time for relaxing and outings. I do not smoke and prefer non-smokers, or smoking outside. Also prefer someone who keeps common living space clean.

2) Job:
I am seeking a job in the Boston/Cambridge/surrounding area. I would prefer a part-time position in research (preference in clinical research as a CRA or CTA) or in a healthcare setting, such as a medical assistant, surgical assistant, or along those lines. I've recieved on the job training as a medical assistant and worked for a couple of months in that role until I was laid off due to budget cuts.

Craigslist has been very resourceful for both of these purposes but I thought I'd just throw it out there to see if anyone knows of anyone who knows of someone who can potentially set me up with a job interview and/or shelter - thanks so much in advance and I hope that, if everything falls into place, I can meet many of you come the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some "borderline" people who stayed within HES but were not officially HCP and eventually got sponsored and or accepted. If you dont get sponsorship from Harvard, you can *always* get it from your undergrad institution, in fact they are required to give you sponsorship if you ask. You just have to fill out required forms well in advance (usually 1 year).

Hi all,
I just submitted my app to the HCP a few days ago and I am very anxious about the reply. I have average undergraduate grades (though I'd consider them below average for an MD program) and OK graduate grades (3.5 in a fairly unrelated field). I have plenty of research and teaching experience in a social science field with emphasis on human skeletal biology (read: physical anthropology). What are my chances of being accepted to the HCP? Also, depending if I get in, where is a good geographic location to live? 2 cents anyone? :confused:

Hey MW,
While your undergrad GPA will weigh you down during you actual med school application process-your graduate GPA should save you. With a 3.5 in a grad program I would expect you to get accepted to the HCP-though you may be on the cusp.

Good Luck

I can't assure you anything; however, I feel you are pretty much going to get in. The reason I have assured you that is because I've talked to Dr. Fixen a couple of times over the phone and one of my earliest conversations with him including a question similar to yours (expect with my stats), and what he told me was that the admission process to HCP isn't very selective, because they want people to come in and then see how they do at Harvard. So, basically he told me that if you come to Harvard HCP (which isn't hard), the process that separates a "capable" person to "incapable" person at Harvard is the sponsorship by HCP. Another thing he mentioned was that even though the admission process isn't open admission, like Extension School in general, the HCP faculty looks at two things in your application: one is that your cumulative and science GPA should be over 2.7, and the second is that you shouldn't have had too many upper level science classes (besides the premed courses). For instance, if you were a Biology major, then you have definitely taken more "upper level" science classes then just the premed classes. So those are the two major factors that he mentioned that they look at, besides that he said it shouldn't be a big problem if you have extracurriculars, etc. I personally asked him about my undergrad GPA (which is 3.5) and he said that should suffice, so I am not worried too much about the acceptance. The hard part is to get sponsored once you're IN the program. They only sponsor 50 students a year, and I am sure you know more about the sponsorship as much of it is on their website. I have applied too, and I am waiting on my decision too! But I am not planning on attending until fall 2010. I have researched much on the program, so if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or something. GOOD LUCK!

-DannyV

Thanks for the answers/reassurance, Allopathic and DannyV.

I'm just a little anxious about being accepted since my undergrad GPA is what I'd consider questionable (3.0 in first two years, 3.2 in second two years, but that was more than a decade ago). I'm a pragmatist and realize that this is low, which is why I want into this program so I can work on raising the GPA up while completing prereqs, volunteering, and working on meaningful ECs. Even if I do get into the program I realize my chances are low getting into a MD program, but I'd rather aim for the moon and miss than spend the rest of my life wondering "what if?"

Thanks again and hope to see you there.

My friend,
With a 3.1 in undergrad and a 3.5 in grad-coupled with your post bacc-----medical school is by no means out of reach. Granted, your MCAT will have to be in the 30s-which is certainly quite achievable- nonetheless, you may not be going to Hopkins---but if becoming a physician is your goal, you are on the right track.

keep on punchin

Since it seems like this is the official thread of the HCP class of '09 I figured I'd say hello to everyone. btw...thanks to all those members taking the time to read and post some really helpful information...everyone's opinions and suggestions have been very helpful and reassuring. I received my letter today and am excited for everything that lies ahead. I also can't help but feel a little apprehensive about the difficulty of classes and how I will manage my time and transportation to classes. I just graduated from UMASS and am living at home in central MA. I wish I had the money to find a place downtown so I didn't have to rely on driving but it's been difficult finding work this summer. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions for my situation would be greatly welcomed. Also, I'm really looking forward to just getting out there and meeting a new crowd so if anyone else is in the MA area already and wants to branch out let me know.

Cheers and see everyone soon!

Hey Mark!

Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to Harvard, the Extension School, and the HCP.

Best of Luck!

Hey Everyone!

So I just went to cambridge this week and found a great 3br 1ba apt close to Harvard. The total rent is $1,800 pre month (so $600 per person), not including utilities. The address is 22 Belmont St, Watertown, MA 02472.

The place is really nice. It is newly remodeled inside, lots of light, W&D in the unit, porch, study room, dining room, big gorgeous kitchen, parking space, ample street parking, basement for extra storage, 2 buses to harvard right in front of door (6-8 min bus ride), and a 30 minute walk from campus.

Your roommates would be two great girls from California who are planning to to the HES program for 2 years.

You can see pix at http://picasaweb.google.com/calicake/CambridgeApt?feat=directlink#

If you are interested send me and email at [email protected].

Thanks!!!

Rivka

If you are living in Worcester, I think it would be pretty hard but not impossible. Those who I met who lived far away (eg, Providence) could do it because they could at least take the MBTA commuter rail, which now has WiFi. If you don't at least have a train, it might be perilous to drive home tired at 9pm when the roads are iced over. Not to mention MBTA schedules are usually inconvenient, but there is usually a train that leaves the city around 11ish (eg, Fitchburg / South Acton).

Perhaps you can look on craigslist for a cheap room share. I met students who lived for free because they took care of an elder person or something similar. You can find those on craigslist pretty easy.

I really empathize with the living problem and hope you find something. When I started I was homeless for the entire month of September and was living on friends' couches. I barely found a place starting in October. Cheap room / shares do exist, but probably not as cheap as living at home. But you have to ask yourself whether you will be hindering your own success. Perhaps you can try sometime this week commuting as though you had class 6-9p two times a week... plus two labs which are either in the afternoon or at night.

Finally, if money is the issue, I would exhaust your search for financial aid at HES first before you start counting pennies. Med school is notoriously expensive, and you often hear the phrase, "What's a few grand when I am going to be 250 in debt." You will earn it back eventually, everyone does!

Best of luck.

Since it seems like this is the official thread of the HCP class of '09 I figured I'd say hello to everyone. btw...thanks to all those members taking the time to read and post some really helpful information...everyone's opinions and suggestions have been very helpful and reassuring. I received my letter today and am excited for everything that lies ahead. I also can't help but feel a little apprehensive about the difficulty of classes and how I will manage my time and transportation to classes. I just graduated from UMASS and am living at home in central MA. I wish I had the money to find a place downtown so I didn't have to rely on driving but it's been difficult finding work this summer. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions for my situation would be greatly welcomed. Also, I'm really looking forward to just getting out there and meeting a new crowd so if anyone else is in the MA area already and wants to branch out let me know.

Cheers and see everyone soon!

Hey revolt,
Glad to see another Pittsburgher on here-I did my BA at Duquesne.

The HCP has an interesting standing-while it is not a "degree program" in the sense of being granted an official Harvard degree-you are eligible for a certificate-really just a notation made on your Harvard transcript- that you completed pre medical requirements. Also, you can gain sponsorship in the form of a letter of rec from the HCP board. As a certificate-called at HCP a Diploma Candidate- you will be eligible for a Harvard ID and access to the University like any other student at Harvard. But you can only be a Diploma candidate if you have not taken any of the pre reqs outside HES. As a HCP student- Diploma candidate or not- you re eligible for one year of financial aid-although it is somewhat meager.

This program, and most post baccs in general, are not backdoor into the medical schools. But the connections you will form can't hurt.

As for your stats- CMU is a great university and you should be accepted without a problem-but I have hear of persons with 2.9s getting accepted and a 3.8 getting denied--granted this is a very rare occurrence. Nonetheless, you should be fine.

As for getting into those top schools-even though your second BS GPA is superb the first is a little low. DO quite well on the MCAT 36 or higher and you should get some top interviews.

Best of Luck-

"Standard" sequence of courses at HES, for those needing all the core courses, is general chem before bio, correct? I am starting in the fall, and planning on 2 yrs, does this look about right? (I have not taken any college science, and my calc is probably too old):

yr 1: gen chem and physics
summer 1: calc (and/or stats)
yr 2: orgo and bio

Also, anyone know a very good way to review trig/algebra/geometry for physics? I am basically just hanging out the last few weeks of August and wanted to do something productive so I don't feel like a bag of crap.

I know this is a harvard thread, but does anyone know of any other university in the area where i can take just a year of undergrad physics? I may not be able to take all three sciences at harvard in one year.

Hey elim,
You could take these courses at Harvard-in the Extension school as open enrollment classes-you don't have to be a an admitted HCP student. You could also prob. do it at BU.

I took physics in the summer at Harvard and loved it (http://summer.harvard.edu). It counts towards sponsorship, it gives you student membership perks, and it's dependably good. I would shy away from BU night school, Northeastern, and especially from UMass boston -- from people I've talked to none of these really prepared people for the MCAT. If you're already at Harvard schools may red flag you going outside of that system. I'd just take it over the summer, despite the extra costs and whatever delay it would have on your schedule -- schools like to see a "glide year" of clinical research anyway. Grandfather say, classic post-bac mistake is a to rush to fail.

One female roommate needed for three bedroom spacious apartment in Cambridge. $875 a month includes all utilities (heat and air conditioning can be controlled in the actual apartment), FREE membership to fitness center in the building, FREE 24 hour laundry facilities located in building. Apartment has one and a half bathrooms with large living room space and plenty of closet space in the apartment. Concierge service in main lobby and apartment located very close to Harvard square – ideal for postbacc students. Free on-street parking and or garage parking and bus picks you up right in front of the building. The apartment is also within biking distance to Harvard. Looking for a neat, friendly, female postbacc roommate to live with two other female postbacc students. Message me if you want more details!

"Standard" sequence of courses at HES, for those needing all the core courses, is general chem before bio, correct? I am starting in the fall, and planning on 2 yrs, does this look about right? (I have not taken any college science, and my calc is probably too old):

yr 1: gen chem and physics
summer 1: calc (and/or stats)
yr 2: orgo and bio

Also, anyone know a very good way to review trig/algebra/geometry for physics? I am basically just hanging out the last few weeks of August and wanted to do something productive so I don't feel like a bag of crap.

a few people take bio before gen chem, but it's best to take gen chem first, if possible. For the most part the order doesn't matter, but there are a few topics of fall semester bio where having the chem background is helpful/necessary. The order of your classes looks good!

The physics class website will post a math review, for students that are interested, whenever that website goes up. I didn't save a copy from last year, or I would send it to you. Good luck!

I took bio before chem and really regretted it. (I was originally planning on accelerated BSN programs.) Stick with the cohort that does yr 1 - phys and chem; year 2 - bio and orgo, and your life will be a LOT easier and you will make more friends given you'll see the same people in your lectures, labs, sections, etc etc.

Hey I got accepted! WOO-HOO! Now I just need to find a place to live and move 3050 miles. :D

Does anyone know anything about Quincy? I know it's a haul on the red line, but the prices seem decent for what you get. Any suggestions on good towns/areas to live in?

I need to take Calc again too, any suggestions other than summer session?

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the program.

Quincy is pretty far and may be a pain for study groups, etc.

I recommend: Somerville, Cambridge, Brookline (section on craigslist "room shares") and if not those, Watertown (car / bus), Newton (car / bus / T), West Newton (car / bus / T?), Medford (car), Arlington (car) Waltham (car or commuter rail).

Quincy is not a bad option. It is on the Red line, which is a straight shot into Harvard. Although Newton, West Newton, Somerville, and Medford are closer, having to tansfer on the T is time consuming and can be extremely annoying. I'm not familiar with the bus system, so I will defer to others on that point. My point is that, if you find something decent in Quincy, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. With that said, if you find something in the same price range closer to Harvard on the Red line, it will make your life a bit easier. Either way, you'll be fine.

Hi all! I will be attending Harvard in the fall :) and I am currently looking for a place to live, preferably in the North End or Harvard Sq. area. I'm looking to pay less than $900, but the $600 range would be better. I would like to live with other post-bac students; is anyone looking for an apartment or roomates? Let me know!!

Also, I'm trying to do this program in a year and a half and this is my plan:

Year 1: Bio, chem, physics
Summer: Orgo I
Fall 2: Orgo II

Is this crazy? Does anyone have advice on whether this is a good plan or not? Any input would be helpful- thanks!!

Can some one help me understand what the sponsorship is? Am i paying them money just to write letters of recommendation? If I am not eligible for sponsorship then i am basically on my own? What am i missing here???

hey. I was wondering if anyone here know the major difference between HES and UPenn post bac (basic core... career changer) programs... for which would be better for the chance of med school acceptance?

like if two applicant to same medical school with same everything (hypothetical scenario) but one coming from HES and other coming from UPenn... which would have better chance?

i know this is pretty much impossible to judge but i guess in terms of faculty and preparation for MCAT... etc. which would be better program.

I guess another way to pose the question is UPenn cost vastly differ from HES. Is UPenn's expensive (comparatively speaking to HES) program worth it? worth the money?

thanks!

Last edited:
can someone answer the thread i created titled "Harvard ALM/HCP" ...thank you guys....

Can some one help me understand what the sponsorship is? Am i paying them money just to write letters of recommendation? If I am not eligible for sponsorship then i am basically on my own? What am i missing here???

All sponsorship means is that they will write a committee letter of recommendation for you, if you pay the $500. Many med schools prefer getting a committee letter as opposed to individual LORs.

Sketo makes a great point-even though your essentially paying for this LOR-it carries in almost all cases, more weight than an individual's LOR.

500 for sponsorship is not a big deal, and sponsorship is a slient requirement for medical schools. If it's not there schools wonder why no institution is standing behind you. Your chem professor's letter is not a substitute for this. Your alma mater can do this too, but they likely will charge fees as well. HCP has a strong track record with sponsorees, and it's a well established program, so I wouldn't poo poo it.

"so i wouldn't poo poo it" haha classic!

HI guys.
From my understanding, HES's HCP does not offer linkage program but rather a sponsorship? How does this differ in chances of getting into medical school?

IF you do well enough to get a sponsorship at HES, equivalently at an institution with linkage program, the latter one offer a spot in a medical school, where as if from HES, you'd have to still apply?

How does everything work after the program? like the steps?

thanks

HCP doesn't haves linkages which allow pre-med students to go straight to medical school, skipping the glide year, after successfully completing the post-bacc program. The linkages require that the student complete the program with good grades and a high MCAT score.

HCP's sponsorship provides a composite letter by HCP along with their recommendation of you as a student. It basically gives you the advantage of having your recommendation letters put together and also having the Harvard name behind your application, which does have a good reputation.

As for getting into medical school, these are both different ways of entering. Depending on how much you would like to skip the guide year, you can try to get into a post-bacc program with linkages, but there are only a few programs with linkages, and in those programs, there are only linkages agreements with a few schools. According to the Goucher pocc-bacc program, which has some of the best linkage programs, only 1/3 of their students do the linkage, which shows you that they aren't so popular. Or you can try a post-bacc without linkages such as Harvard where you can use the sponsorship to apply to any medical school.

Do you guys realize that registration is only about a week away? I'm getting excited. Have any of you received any mail or email from the program? I know the extension school doesn't like to do extra paperwork/notices, but I was getting a little worried, especially because I'm in the diploma program and I haven't received anything.

I'm in the diploma program and haven't received anything either, besides the initial acceptance letter. At one point a few months ago I sent them an email to double check I was a diploma candidate, and they said yes, and that more info would come upon registration. So it didn't sound like anything else was coming until then.

But I don't really know for certain that nothing else has gone out. . .so if you want peace of mind you could email them. I found them very responsive.

And I can't decide if I'm excited, nervous, or still in shock I left my job to do this. . .

no worries guys---upon your registration-Aug. 3-you will be formally confirmed as Diploma students once the office reviews your registration. After that you can go pick up that Harvard ID lol.

Be excited!!! Your Harvard Students and if you got accepted to the program then you certainly have the ability to succeed-otherwise you would would have received a rejection letter.

Good Luck and welcome to Harvard!

p.s. If you only attend one sporting event all year-make sure it's the Harvard-Yale Football game!

I haven't received anything either other than the acceptance letter either, but I'm not stressing out about it yet. I'm more stressed about moving 3100 miles.

I share CM39's thoughts... I still can't believe I'm leaving my job, moving to a city that's totally foreign to me, and making a hard drive at my dream. Blows my mind every day when I think about it and I'm sure that I am not the only one here that thinks like that. It's going to be fun to associate with other people that dream big.

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." ~Andre Gide

Just for the record I haven't received anything regarding registration either but you can check out http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2009-10/register/ for some information. Even though I already live in MA I still hear what you guys are talking about. It's a new and funny feeling to be in the company of people who have decided to pursue their dreams and make such a drastic change in their lives. Usually when people learn about my recent plans they react with bewilderment about sort of waking up one day and jumping ship. Nice quote Transplant. Happy registering to everyone!

Wow, I'm glad I haven't been missing out on any registration mails or emails from them. And I'm glad that I'm not the only one completely changing his life over this! Not only am I leaving my job too, but I'm moving 6700 miles! From Tokyo to Boston. (Interesting note I googled, if you dug a hole straight through the Earth from Boston, you'll reach the ocean right off Australia). You're right MWTransplant, it is going to be interesting to be with other people who dream big.

By the way, I'm flying up to Boston in a few days. If anyone is still looking for a roommate, give me a PM! I'd love to live with other people doing the same program as me.