Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am thinking of switching to Harvard Extension for Spring 2010. By then, I will still have to take 5 pre-req's (Orgo 2, Physics 2, Bio 1 & 2, Chem 2). Granted, I will also want to take a bunch of other electives (biochem, maybe stats, calc, cell bio, genetics, some neuro electives).

Do I just register for these classes ala carte? Or do I need to apply for this Health Careers Program? I know I won't be eligible for the diploma program...but it sounds like the Health Careers Program is an intermediate between the Diploma route and just taking the courses ala carte? Do the classes fill up?

I have to admit...I sort of don't want a committee letter...I'd rather just focus on doing well in a couple electives or research assistance endeavors, and using those experiences for recommendation letters...but I understand it might look strange taking so many Harvard Extension classes without utilizing the committee letter/sponsorship benefits...

Members don't see this ad.

I am also thinking of going to Harvard for Spring 10' to complete my requirements bc I want to be in Boston...I was just wondering, though, is this program only for those who are working? Or can you go if you want to be a full-time student? Would this program be advisable to go to as a full time student? Also, I just started taking my prereqs at a different university (Gen Chem 1st semester and Bio II- i could not take bio 1 bc chem is required to take it)..will I have to retake these semesters of these courses or will they let me continue and take the second semesters of these courses? Will med schools accept these courses in full even if the 2 semesters of these 2 courses were done at diff schools?

ButAtYourBest-
The $1100 is for the 4 credit class. So for example, to take fall semester chem, you would have to pay $1100. Summer classes cost about twice as much - go to summer.harvard.edu for a list of classes.

If you don't care about a committee letter, then you can just sign up for whatever classes you want a la carte. The Health Careers Program only matters for getting a committee LOR.

They have never had a cap on enrollment for the 4 core science classes (chem, orgo, bio, physics). For these classes, the class size is probably around 200-300, so the professors don't get to know many of the students, but if you regularly go to office hours, they will know you. When the profs write LORs for students, they have the TF's send comments about you - so if you want a LOR, then at least make sure that your TF knows you.

paperaeroplane-
You can take these classes while working or you can take them full-time, depending on how many classes you want to take at once. Classes are in the evening, making it convenient to work full-time and still take a class. Some students take one semester of a class at one school, and another semester at HES, but check the syllabus or contact the professor to make sure that you have covered the apropriate material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken physics over the summer? If so, could he/she comment on how the course was?

Hey does anyone know what I should do if I would like to take one class in the first year? And then another in the second year? Then double up for a third year? I am kind of weary of taking a heavy load when I first begin. I went to Duke Undergrad and saw how students got burned as premeds..

1st year
Chem
2nd year
Bio
3rd year
Orgo
Physics

does this work what do you guys suggest as the best sequence? Thanks!

Hey does anyone know what I should do if I would like to take one class in the first year? And then another in the second year? Then double up for a third year? I am kind of weary of taking a heavy load when I first begin. I went to Duke Undergrad and saw how students got burned as premeds..

1st year
Chem
2nd year
Bio
3rd year
Orgo
Physics

does this work what do you guys suggest as the best sequence? Thanks!
I think that the two year program provides more than adequate time for a student to take the allotted number of two laboratory sciences as well as taking part in a multitude of volunteer activities. In other words, I am of the opinions that you shouldn't take just one class at a time. While not a concrete fact, a medical school could potentially look at your transcript and assume that you are not cut out for the rigors of the typical medical education.

The consensus is that if you're motivated, the two year schedule at Harvard is more than palatable.

Can't wait until anatomy is over. She is a terrible teacher.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 more lectures. . . I counted.

Where it'll be pointless to study since questions that she puts on the exams and quizzes are out of the blue. It's not like we have a textbook to fall back on.

When one of the readings (internet link) resulted in a 404 not found page, I knew this class was going to be crap.

Thanks for putting a General Chemistry question on the first exam. I really appreciated it. Never knew that I was supposed to know everything from Gen Chem that I took 5 years ago!

Hi everyone. I'm really excited about applying to the HCP program at HES here shortly for Summer 2010 and about moving further down the path to becoming a doctor. I feel HES is the program for me and have a few questions about it. I really appreciate your input.

1. The only pre-req I've taken is Chem I Lab. I took only the lab because I tested out of the lecture with the high school AP test. I would like to go for the HCP diploma program but would need to re-take the Chem lab which is fine with me. Do you think they'll let me do that and, thus, qualify for the diploma? I would think I should take it again anyway.

2. I'd really like to get the HCP program done in a year as I'm now 33 and want to shave off as much time as possible. I initially was thinking I could do it if I really focus and work hard and am very motivated and more conscientious than I ever was in undergrad. But I've read a lot of recommendations about not stretching yourself too thin which I of course understand and don't want to do. Is there any one out there who's gotten through the program in a year and done well?

3. I've been shadowing a few doctors over the last few weeks both in consults and in surgery and then just started volunteering this week at a local hospital. I wanted to get a few months of volunteering in before I apply to the HCP but now am thinking I'd really like to apply now so I can make plans for this next year. I know getting accepted to the HCP isn't terribly hard but am wondering how much they take volunteering into consideration for acceptance. Should I just apply now?

4. When calculating my science GPA, I include math courses as well, correct?

5. My AMCAS undergrad GPA is 3.44 and AMCAS science GPA is 3.14 (I only took Calc II and Chem I lab). I need to get an A in all the pre-reqs in order to bump my GPAs to 3.56 and 3.85, respectively. Do straight As seem reasonable and are a lot of people in the program able to achieve that?

6. Please come visit the Official Harvard 2010 thread and share your wisdom.

Hello HisDudeness, I'm in the middle of my first semester at the HCP, so maybe I can help.

1. If you didn't take a whole semester of a course, you should probably still be able to get into the diploma program. I got into the diploma program despite having taken a quarter of biology. Give an email to the program if you want to be sure. However, pretty much the only advantage of the diploma program is a Harvard ID card, which is very convenient but certainly not necessary.

2. I know people who are taking the accelerated version of the program. It's pretty intense, but it's doable if you're able to get by without working, and you're okay with studying your life away (which is what you'll be doing in med school anyway). I personally didn't do it for two reasons: I didn't have many extracurriculars, so I wanted two full years to get some volunteering/research/shadowing done. And secondly, if you want to do the MCAT in April so you can get your application in soon after the application period starts, you'll need to spend your last semester at the program intensely studying for the MCAT. If you're only taking 2 classes, this is possible. If you're taking 3 classes, it's extremely difficult. Taking it slow is better! By the way, one of the teaching fellows in Chem in a 40-something guy who's currently in med school, so 33 isn't that old.

3. Yeah, just apply now. I applied about 7 or 8 months in advance. For acceptance, they are concerned 99% with your GPA and how many science classes you've taken in the past (less science classes is better). The statement of purpose and other stuff I think is just to check that you're not doing this for any crazy reasons (E.g., you're doing this because you want to be a super rich emergency doc who gets all the ladies).

4. Yes, calculate your science GPA the way the AMCAS does it, which includes math courses.

5. It's not easy to get all A's, but I know it's possible if you're willing to work your butt off. The acceptance rate for people who've completed the HCP is pretty high, around 90%, so if you put in the work, you'll have a good shot at getting into med school.

Hello HisDudeness, I'm in the middle of my first semester at the HCP, so maybe I can help.

1. If you didn't take a whole semester of a course, you should probably still be able to get into the diploma program. I got into the diploma program despite having taken a quarter of biology. Give an email to the program if you want to be sure. However, pretty much the only advantage of the diploma program is a Harvard ID card, which is very convenient but certainly not necessary.

2. I know people who are taking the accelerated version of the program. It's pretty intense, but it's doable if you're able to get by without working, and you're okay with studying your life away (which is what you'll be doing in med school anyway). I personally didn't do it for two reasons: I didn't have many extracurriculars, so I wanted two full years to get some volunteering/research/shadowing done. And secondly, if you want to do the MCAT in April so you can get your application in soon after the application period starts, you'll need to spend your last semester at the program intensely studying for the MCAT. If you're only taking 2 classes, this is possible. If you're taking 3 classes, it's extremely difficult. Taking it slow is better! By the way, one of the teaching fellows in Chem in a 40-something guy who's currently in med school, so 33 isn't that old.

3. Yeah, just apply now. I applied about 7 or 8 months in advance. For acceptance, they are concerned 99% with your GPA and how many science classes you've taken in the past (less science classes is better). The statement of purpose and other stuff I think is just to check that you're not doing this for any crazy reasons (E.g., you're doing this because you want to be a super rich emergency doc who gets all the ladies).

4. Yes, calculate your science GPA the way the AMCAS does it, which includes math courses.

5. It's not easy to get all A's, but I know it's possible if you're willing to work your butt off. The acceptance rate for people who've completed the HCP is pretty high, around 90%, so if you put in the work, you'll have a good shot at getting into med school.

Thanks for the input zil0. I really appreciate it. Reading your responses, I thought of a couple other questions:

1. My understanding is that we're only eligible for one year of stafford loans. So I'm assuming most students fund the second year with private loans like Sallie Mae. Do you know any specifics on how others fund the second year?

2. Are you working while in the HCP?

Just wanted to give people in their first semester at HES a heads up about finals. In the 4 pre-reqs, they tend to be very tough. A friend took Orgo last year and said that the final was actually rather easy, but he chalked that up the low performance of the class overall and what he guessed was Logan's need to boost the average. When I took them, they were all much harder than the semester exams. In addition, HES has shortened the exam period this year to one week, so fatigue might play a significant role if you have other things going on in your life.

another heads up - take cancer bio with wojiski next semester. good times.

bleargh another heads up - take cancer bio with wojiski next semester. good times.

bleargh- was it a hard course? do you recommend taking cancer bio or stem cell w/ wingert?

Developmental Biology with Wingert was a very good course. She is awesome - great teacher, wonderful slides, energentic presentation. She truly loves what she does. Take anything that she teaches.

A number of people I know took the cancer bio course and raved about it. They found it extremely interesting.

Hope that helps.

I'm taking Wingert's Stem Cell class now (I'm pretty sure its only offered in the fall though) and it's AMAZING. She's great and they class is INCREDIBLE.

Hope that helps!

If the pre-req classes are about 200 students, then how big are the upper-science elective classes?

It varies a great deal by course. Some of them have as few as 10, while others are up to 276 (A&P I this fall). The majority seem to be around 100 give or take (Developmental Bio and Genetics last Spring). A few of them have caps - I think either Cell Bio or Micro does. When the classes get smaller, they generally bump it to a different building, too.

Hey,

Calc/biochem:

I currently have one term of calc. For the schools that require two terms of calc and/or one of biochem, do they mean by the time you apply or by the time you actually start med school? If they mean by the time you apply, when did you fit them into your schedule if you're taking all of the basic prereqs in a year? (If they just mean by the time you enroll, I was thinking I'll take them during the glide year).

Thanks! ;)

Hey there,

One of my friends applied to a medical school that required 2 semesters of calc and he actually took calc II the semester after he applied to med school. It may depend on the school, but I think as long as you take calc by the time you enroll, you should be ok. contact the med schools to be sure. hope this helps!

Originally posted by MV110
I'm taking Wingert's Stem Cell class now (I'm pretty sure its only offered in the fall though) and it's AMAZING. She's great and they class is INCREDIBLE.
Thanks! although i slipped up and wrote stem cells i meant developmental biology which is a spring course. Any one take it? Also anyone have any good ideas what to do over winter break?

I took Developmental bio last Spring. Highly recommend it.

Sleep, travel, volunteer. . . . .

Has anyone taken Medicinal Chem of Psychiatric Drugs (Spring semester)? It looks like a very interesting course. Since I'm just finishing up with Murphy's Neurobiology course this appears to be a good follow up. Any thoughts on the teacher or difficulty of the course? I believe the prof's name is Brian Fulton and he is an adjunct prof from Northeastern. Thanks for any help

Hi all,

I want to apply for the Harvard postbac and can someone tell me what they think about my chances of getting in?
I'm a computer science undergrad in my senior year at NYU (Courant), minor in business studies, overall GPA is a 3.3, major GPA a 3.1, sciences GPA with maths included is a 3.3. Should I wait for the fall semester's grades to kick in and a winter class, which should pull overall GPA to a 3.4, sciences still 3.3, and major GPA to 3.3, or should I apply now?

Thanks you so much!

I'll be applying for HCP next month to start in Fall 2010. I'm currently a Research Assistant in one of the major Boston hospitals and know that my job will intensify by the time I get started in the program. Obviously, scheduling and proper studying are key in succeeding. But, I'd love to hear from people who work full-time and take 2 classes a semester at HCP about your experience so far, if you manage to fit in some fun every once and a while, etc.

I'll be applying for HCP next month to start in Fall 2010. I'm currently a Research Assistant in one of the major Boston hospitals and know that my job will intensify by the time I get started in the program. Obviously, scheduling and proper studying are key in succeeding. But, I'd love to hear from people who work full-time and take 2 classes a semester at HCP about your experience so far, if you manage to fit in some fun every once and a while, etc.

I work full-time as a manager of a PT practice, and just completed Gen Chem I, Physics I and Neurobiology. I also volunteer teaching ESL classes several hours weekly. I began my post-bac with 1 class last fall, 2 classes last spring, then 3 this past fall. I know people discourage these kind of things, but it is definitely feasible. I should end up with no less than an A- in all 3 classes, and obtained an A in all prior classes here. My most difficult compromise was spending less time with my SO. I was able to go up to Maine for several weekends (with my books), and traveled for 2 weddings over the course of the semester (again with my books). I studied anywhere and everywhere to maximize efficiency using MCAT prep app's for Ipod touch as well as MCAT Audio Osmosis. My background in health sciences as a PT obviously helped, so your results may differ.

OTOH, the classes are very challenging especially with regards to neverending problem sets. If your not up-to-date with algebra and trig, don't even think about chem/physics until you are. Plan your time off around the exams, especially for finals week. I didn't do this and subsequently slept very little. The labs are not challenging but they are excellent for fortifying concepts; you simply complete your report and turn it in at the end of lab.

I'm looking forward to taking my final 2 classes this spring, taking the MCAT, and receiving sponsorship. It's been alot of work but I wouldn't have done it differently. Good luck!