Official Harvard Extension 2014 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am thinking of applying for ALM in biology. I currently hold BSc and MSc (Distinction) in Electrical Engineering. I have a couple questions:

1. If you pass the 3 required courses is it guaranteed that you will get accepted into the ALM program?

2. In case you receive Dean’s List Academic Achievement Award, is it going to be written on the degree or do you receive separate certificate. I am asking, because I want to know at what extent it is worth worrying about your GPA, since ALM is not an honours degree ( btw I am considering PhD afterwards). Does anyone has experience with the significance of Honours and Prizes for extension students?

Thanks

Acceptance is NOT guaranteed, but I have heard that the writing courses are used to weed people out, so if you do well in them then your chances are good.

I received a scholarship through the Health Careers Program, and no one gave a **** except for one interviewer when I applied to med school. So, I would say it has relatively little significance with re: to getting into med school. OTOH, it is nice to save over a thousand dollars on tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my current condition: Living in New Jersey. 3.1 GPA when I graduate in the Spring. Taken a whole bunch of Bio successfully, messed up in Genchem and want to retake. At HCP I would take GChem, Orgo & Physics, getting the 24 credits to ask for a letter.

1. Besides not getting B average, what other grounds exist for not being accepted to the HCP?

2. What research opportunities have students had? Have you had any trouble getting an on-campus job or position in a hospital? Were these paid or unpaid? Where did you find them? I would really like to get a job and reap that benefit of having the free course every semester. However, not at the expense of losing valuable clinical or research experience.

3. Can you participate in Harvard clubs? Will students be snark for not being a "real" Harvard student (I'm hearing mixed replied about this). It seems to be that this (reasonable) bias is really only within the Harvard Communitiy and nowhere else. Please correct me if this is not so. Would a professor be less likely to bring an HES student aboard in their lab?

4. Is it worth moving out of state to study here?

Neuro

Last edited:
Has anyone taken Fundamentals of Biostatistics with B. Rosner? I am interested in taking the course next semester but haven't found any information in previous HES threads. Online reviews were also sparse and not encouraging.

I would also be interested in hearing opinions from those that took an online statistics/biostatistics course. How would you rate your overall experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my current condition: Living in New Jersey. 3.1 GPA when I graduate in the Spring. Taken a whole bunch of Bio successfully, messed up in Genchem and want to retake. At HCP I would take GChem, Orgo & Physics, getting the 24 credits to ask for a letter.

1. Besides not getting B average, what other grounds exist for not being accepted to the HCP?

2. What research opportunities have students had? Have you had any trouble getting an on-campus job or position in a hospital? Were these paid or unpaid? Where did you find them? I would really like to get a job and reap that benefit of having the free course every semester. However, not at the expense of losing valuable clinical or research experience.

3. Can you participate in Harvard clubs? Will students be snark for not being a "real" Harvard student (I'm hearing mixed replied about this). It seems to be that this (reasonable) bias is really only within the Harvard Communitiy and nowhere else. Please correct me if this is not so. Would a professor be less likely to bring an HES student aboard in their lab?

4. Is it worth moving out of state to study here?

Neuro

Quick answers from someone who did it a little ways back ('09-'12) so ymmv:

1. No idea
2. You should be able to get a full time/part time research position at one of the major hospitals nearby. I worked full time while doing HCP classes at night. It's hard, but doable if you're dedicated, and with the right position will give you a ton of clinical exposure and the opportunity to publish. I got mine by applying to every single open position listed on the Partners website + Tufts + BU websites. If you can't get a paid position, you can always volunteer in one of the labs for a bit, do well, and many people seemed to be offered a position from what I saw.
3. No idea...not sure this is of any value at all in the application process. You're probably better off spending your time trying to earn your way onto a publication/publish a case report.
4. I moved from the tristate area and it was well worth it. Medicine is a shockingly small world and a surprising number of senior attendings I work with now as a med student know people I worked for back in Boston. This can be tremendously helpful down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
@grt398 ,

Thanks for the reply! May I ask what your GPA upon entry and exit were? How many schools did you apply to? Was getting in difficult? Where are you at now?

09-12 -- You were there for three years?

neuro

@grt398 ,

Thanks for the reply! May I ask what your GPA upon entry and exit were? How many schools did you apply to? Was getting in difficult? Where are you at now?

09-12 -- You were there for three years?

neuro

So I took classes for 2 years, but add the application "glide year" and you get 3 years total.

1. uGPA was >3.8, post-bac GPA was >3.8, no real change over the 2 years
2. Applied to 20 schools mostly based on geography; as for getting in, it's never easy and that's why you should apply to a broad range of schools. I got interviews at top 5 schools and radio silence from schools that were ranked much lower so there's no real predicting how things will go.
3. Currently at top 20 school (if it matters to you) but not going to be more specific than that. If it helps, I personally know 3 other people who were in my HCP class who also went to top 20 schools and amongst us we interviewed at the majority of schools ranked 1-20 on the USNews list, so it's very possible to get into top programs if that's your goal.

Hi there -- Does anyone have any J-term classes? I'm interested in one, but am curious about what to expect. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is it necessary to buy the textbook for chem e1b? Or can we get away without buying the book?

Last edited:
Is it necessary to buy the textbook for chem e1b? Or can we get away without buying the book?

Opinions vary. I find the textbook REALLY useful, and I read the chapter before every lecture. I think this has helped me with retention and made the class easier.

I also get the sense most people never crack the book and do just fine. There are enough practice problems and supplemental materials that you can definitely get by without it.

He's great about being clear that the edition of the textbook doesn't matter. I got an older one on Amazon for around $10-20.

Does anyone know if the Intro to Biochem classes count as a Biochem prerequisite for the dental schools that require them? (Tufts, etc.)

Also, is it possible to take in the Summer before I take Orgo 1 & 2?

Is it possible to take Orgo 1 AND biochem concurrently in the fall?

Does anyone know if the Intro to Biochem classes count as a Biochem prerequisite for the dental schools that require them? (Tufts, etc.)

Also, is it possible to take in the Summer before I take Orgo 1 & 2?

Is it possible to take Orgo 1 AND biochem concurrently in the fall?

Pretty sure it would fulfill the requirements, but you should probably ask admissions.

From what I remember, Viel teaches it in the summer. I heard his class is harder than the fall biochemistry, but I don't know. I just finished up biochemistry in the fall and there was some orgo, but you could definitely learn it on your own. It's really basic concepts like stereochemistry of enzymes. The tests are very straightforward and fair, averages are 85-86%, and no curve obviously.

Hi All-

I'm thinking of applying to HCP for fall 2015 and I have a couple questions:

1) I am going to have to work 40hrs per week (but it'll be in a clinical setting, so yay experience!) just to afford the program/sustain myself in Boston. How many hours a week did you have to spend on each of the core classes outside of actual class time? I'm willing to commit all of my time outside of work to reaching my medical aspirations, but I'm somewhat worried it won't be enough.

2) I heard there are mandatory discussion sections. How frequently and for how long do these meet?

3) Has anyone taken the January intensive physics lab? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this as opposed to the regular semester lab? I'm thinking it may be beneficial given my time constraints.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a sophomore looking into postbac's to possibly do after senior year. I have a few questions about the harvard extension school program.
1) is there a set curriculum or do you just take whichever classes you think you need to? I haven't been able to find one
2) can you start in spring semester?
3) do you know anyone personally who has gotten into Harvard after the harvard postbac?
4) what's the perks of the hes post bacc vs (for example) the GW "SMP"? I'm not sure which one would be more beneficial, it's all so confusing

Hi All-

1) I am going to have to work 40hrs per week (but it'll be in a clinical setting, so yay experience!) just to afford the program/sustain myself in Boston. How many hours a week did you have to spend on each of the core classes outside of actual class time? I'm willing to commit all of my time outside of work to reaching my medical aspirations, but I'm somewhat worried it won't be enough.

2) I heard there are mandatory discussion sections. How frequently and for how long do these meet?

3) Has anyone taken the January intensive physics lab? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this as opposed to the regular semester lab? I'm thinking it may be beneficial given my time constraints.

Thanks in advance!

1) I work 30 hours in a lab, took 3 classes + lab, and studied for the MCATs. With 40 hours/week, I would say around 2-3 classes with good study skills. My friends with average study skills struggle with 2 classes + full-time job. I spend about 5-6 hours/week/class, but I have good study habits.

2) Yes, some classes require it. 1x/week.

Hi All-

Thanks in advance!
I've been working 40 hours a week and taking 2 classes at a time, but not officially in the program. How many hours you'll need to put in varies, but it can be a considerable amount of time (I'm lookin' at you, orgo). I don't know about required sections, but for some classes they may be very strongly encouraged (again, orgo) and then you add in labs...and suddenly you are an extremely busy person. It takes a lot of drive. That said, it's doable -- maybe you won't do as well as you possibly could have all of the time, but you can certainly do well, and as far as my own experience goes I think my clinical time (in veterinary medicine) is invaluable.

As for the intensive physics lab, no one has done it yet! They re-did physics at the extension school this year, so it's all new. I didn't find the regular lab to be all that time intensive or difficult, but it was tough in October when we had 3 labs that month and I was exhausted. And then I found a nice iced coffee drink at whole foods that helped me out a lot, but I digress.

Are you allowed to be a tutor at Harvard if you guys are in the extension school?

1) I work 30 hours in a lab, took 3 classes + lab, and studied for the MCATs. With 40 hours/week, I would say around 2-3 classes with good study skills. My friends with average study skills struggle with 2 classes + full-time job. I spend about 5-6 hours/week/class, but I have good study habits.

2) Yes, some classes require it. 1x/week.

1) If getting A's is the goal, I would say taking 3 classes along with working 40 hours and doing other ECs is not going to be realistic for most people. 2 classes + 40 hours work + EC's was manageable for me this past semester, but it was rough at times. I would say I have reasonably good study/time management skills, and I think I probably had one of the higher grades in both classes I took. Adding a 3rd class and MCAT studying on top of this past semester would have jeopardized my GPA and sanity. Obviously a lot of this depends on the individual.

2) Section is not required for physics, bio or chem (at least it wasn't required for summer chem - I can't speak definitively for fall/spring chem). Not sure about orgo. It's likely in your best interest to go, though.

Hi! I'm currently a 4th year in my undergrad at UCSB and considering applying to HES to raise my GPA to get into medical school.
I have taken most of the pre-med classes (Gen Chem, Bio, Physics, OChem, Calculus) but I really am not happy with my undergrad GPA (~2.8) so I am wondering if I would even have a shot at getting into HES? I have a lot of volunteer and internship hours in a hospital or with healthcare organizations. I have not taken the GRE of MCAT yet, would you recommend that I take that before finishing up my undergrad or should I wait until I get into a postbac program? I've been reading these threads for days and I can't seem to find a clear answer to my questions anywhere so I hope someone can help me organize my life a little bit.

PS- for the essay on the HES application, is there a recommended length?

Thank you!

Hi! I'm currently a 4th year in my undergrad at UCSB and considering applying to HES to raise my GPA to get into medical school.
I have taken most of the pre-med classes (Gen Chem, Bio, Physics, OChem, Calculus) but I really am not happy with my undergrad GPA (~2.8) so I am wondering if I would even have a shot at getting into HES? I have a lot of volunteer and internship hours in a hospital or with healthcare organizations. I have not taken the GRE of MCAT yet, would you recommend that I take that before finishing up my undergrad or should I wait until I get into a postbac program? I've been reading these threads for days and I can't seem to find a clear answer to my questions anywhere so I hope someone can help me organize my life a little bit.

PS- for the essay on the HES application, is there a recommended length?

Thank you!

First off, why did you do so poorly at UCSB? You need to figure that out and fix any issues first. My experience has been that the HES classes are significantly more rigorous than anything I've experienced thus far (top ~50 undergrad, plus a few semesters at a community college). I've been doing well, but I'm needing to put quite a bit more effort in than I'm used to. This is good for me because it's forcing me to grow and refine my study habits. My GPA is fine and it wouldn't However, if your main goal is GPA improvement and you have a questionable academic history, I'm not sure I would recommend it (especially if you're going to need to work full time).

It's not that hard, really... But we had probably 100+ people drop out of Bio this past semester, and I expect the class median of those remaining to hover around C+ territory. Mean on the physics final was a 67%, though due to a crazy lenient grading scheme the median overall grade was a B+. Even with the super lenient grading, that means 50% of students (of whom just about all are post-bac pre-med and should theoretically be very motivated to get good grades) had a 3.3 or worse in an un-curved class which is not helping their chances at med school.

The HCP is ideal for students who still need most of the pre-req's and have a decent GPA from another field. There are certainly higher level courses you could take there, but it's not really designed for you.

I think if I was you, my plan would be to live at home if possible, work part time as an EMT/CNA/scribe, take classes at the closest state university, continue EC's, do some research. See if you can raise your GPA up to 3.3 or 3.4 over the course of the next 2 years, crush the MCAT and you're golden.

I don't think I would take the MCAT now, as you're probably going to need ~2 years to fix your GPA (I didn't actually run any math, just a rough guess). If you took it now, it'd be expiring by the time you were ready to apply for schools.

I was just wondering if HES only does night classes. I looked on the AAMC website and that is what is said so I was just wondering about that.

I was just wondering if HES only does night classes. I looked on the AAMC website and that is what is said so I was just wondering about that.

Unless things have changed, then yes. The only day classes I took were summer classes and orgo lab on Saturdays.

For anyone who took Biochem in the fall, is the Lehninger reading necessary? Or, could you answer in class assignment questions and exam questions solely from the lecture?

Thanks!

For anyone who took Biochem in the fall, is the Lehninger reading necessary? Or, could you answer in class assignment questions and exam questions solely from the lecture?

Thanks!
If it's still the same instructor that taught the class in the fall of 2013, then 1) no, and 2) yes.

Edit: Ah never mind, didn't read it right. Someone who took it this past fall will have a better answer.

I"ll drop in from time to time. But I don't think it'll be time that constrains me from giving advice so much as the constantly changing nature of admissions and possible changes that may occur in the post-bacc program itself. Whatever advice I have now re: med school admissions may may not be as useful a few years from now.

Good luck to those about to embark on your magical mystery post-bacc tour. To those already there, I hope you survive.

Hello MedwonK and Others,

I am also in a similar position. I was encouraged to take an upper level biology course because I got B- in general biology at HES; I am now looking into these course: immunology; cell bio, genetics, and molecular.

I have heard that some schools recommend cell and genetics, but I also want to take a course that I can do well in, since the whole point is that I get a grade better than what I got in Intro Biology. If anyone has an knowledge on these courses or the current professors that are teaching them, I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thank you!

I am also in a similar position. I was encouraged to take an upper level biology course because I got B- in general biology at HES; I am now looking into these course: immunology; cell bio, genetics, and molecular.

I have heard that some schools recommend cell and genetics, but I also want to take a course that I can do well in, since the whole point is that I get a grade better than what I got in Intro Biology. If anyone has an knowledge on these courses or the current professors that are teaching them, I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thank you!

Biochem and molecular bio should be fairly easy to get an A in. Genetics is a bit tougher, but doable. Cell bio can be tough as there is discussion group where you learn about and critique research articles, so if you're like me and have never done research in your life it can be a tougher course. If you're familiar with research, though, then cell bio won't be tough. I know nothing about immunology.

Thanks!

Assuming it's still Haynes teaching the class, don't buy Lehninger. Waste of money and time. Just follow the lectures. Go through them over and over. Go over the homeworks/practice questions over and over. Virtually guaranteed A. It's like med school in really slow motion.

Thank you!

I got a B in Bio1 and B+ in Bio 2. Got an A in Cell the next year. Like Medwonk mentioned, having some research experience will help but I doubt that in itself will be a game-changer; just be prepared to make the extra effort and you should be fine.
One thing I want to add though, is that I got B's in intro bio and only got a 10 on the bio section (after only taking bio 1 and 2) on the MCAT and I'm pretty sure I rocked the ochem part of it. So if you know your weakness(es) in intro bio I would attack that if possible with upper division classes. I knew genetics was my weakness and sure enough it came to bite me in the ass on the MCAT.. Something to think about.

We should probably start a 2015 thread huh?

Anywho, quick question for everyone here. What would be a good 'upper level' bio course that I could take with Orgo 1?

I am currently working full time and have the following plan:
Bio 1/2 & Chem fall/spring (currently)
Biochem in the Summer
Orgo 1 and [HELP] Fall 2015

Orgo 2 and DAT Spring 2016.

What would be a manageable course to take with Orgo 1?

Bonus Question: Is it possible to take the DAT around April since I would cut my work load in half and would just study for the DAT alongside orgo 2?

Yea, a 2015 thread should be started.. ;) I know some people that took neurobio and thought it wasn't too challenging.. I think they offer that in the fall. You could also look into Human A&P.

We should probably start a 2015 thread huh?

Anywho, quick question for everyone here. What would be a good 'upper level' bio course that I could take with Orgo 1?

I am currently working full time and have the following plan:
Bio 1/2 & Chem fall/spring (currently)
Biochem in the Summer
Orgo 1 and [HELP] Fall 2015

Orgo 2 and DAT Spring 2016.

What would be a manageable course to take with Orgo 1?

Bonus Question: Is it possible to take the DAT around April since I would cut my work load in half and would just study for the DAT alongside orgo 2?
Even though orgo isn't a prereq for biochem, you'll be at a disadvantage if you take biochem without any orgo knowledge. What about taking biochem at the same time as orgo 1, and taking another random bio class over the summer?

Even though orgo isn't a prereq for biochem, you'll be at a disadvantage if you take biochem without any orgo knowledge. What about taking biochem at the same time as orgo 1, and taking another random bio class over the summer?
I heard the summer Biochem isn't too bad without orgo, and it would be my only class and figured I could put more time into learning the "orgo-ish" parts, and might even prepare me a little for when I do take orgo. The other summer class I am interested in, genetics, is during the day so I can't really take that. I am also more interested in A&P and that's only in the fall.

I got a B in Bio1 and B+ in Bio 2. Got an A in Cell the next year. Like Medwonk mentioned, having some research experience will help but I doubt that in itself will be a game-changer; just be prepared to make the extra effort and you should be fine.
One thing I want to add though, is that I got B's in intro bio and only got a 10 on the bio section (after only taking bio 1 and 2) on the MCAT and I'm pretty sure I rocked the ochem part of it. So if you know your weakness(es) in intro bio I would attack that if possible with upper division classes. I knew genetics was my weakness and sure enough it came to bite me in the ass on the MCAT.. Something to think about.

I'm quite certain that if you get a B or higher in Logan's/Sirinya's OChem courses that anyone can destroy OChem on the MCAT. After doing their classes OChem on the MCAT was a joke in comparison.

I heard the summer Biochem isn't too bad without orgo, and it would be my only class and figured I could put more time into learning the "orgo-ish" parts, and might even prepare me a little for when I do take orgo. The other summer class I am interested in, genetics, is during the day so I can't really take that. I am also more interested in A&P and that's only in the fall.

You don't need Orgo to do well in Biochem, but I did find that having gone through Orgo made biochem a lot easier.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle Bio over the summer with Dr. Fixsen? Or general opinions on the class.

Thanks!

I'm just wondering if anyone did the summer orgo class and thought it was worth spending the money.
Another question is what kind of jobs do you all do have? Was it medical field or research oriented or just any job to pay the bills? Was it easy getting a job in Boston or no?

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, why would anyone do a HES post-bacc? The courses seem to all be extremely difficult, and the prestige of a school is not very important for medical school admissions. As if to add insult to injury, you can meet all the requirements and still not get a letter of support, as it is first-come-first-serve to get a comprehensive letter! Why would anyone not just do a more traditional post-bacc? Is their an advantage o HES that I am not seeing?

The courses are extremely fair and not that hard (they aren't curved but it seems the median is usually a B or so) - the teachers want you to do well and are usually very clear about what you need to know. Lectures are all recorded, presentations/notes posted online, TF's and professors are very available to answer questions. I've gotten about as much practice material as I can handle and at least 1 practice test prior to every exam. If you put in the time and effort you'll probably do well.

It's also probably cheaper than it would be to attend a state college (well, Boston cost of living not withstanding...), and Boston has a lot going on in science and medicine so there is a lot of opportunity to do cool stuff and interact with industry heavy hitters. Doing my sciences over 2 years instead of 1 gives me more time to build up my app with EC's, and I think I'll end up with a much stronger application than if I had gone to one of the 1-year formal programs.

There are obviously pros and cons, though. Depending on your situation, it may or may not be a good fit.

The courses are extremely fair and not that hard (they aren't curved but it seems the median is usually a B or so) - the teachers want you to do well and are usually very clear about what you need to know.

B is bad, considering that most student must be very smart.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, why would anyone do a HES post-bacc? The courses seem to all be extremely difficult, and the prestige of a school is not very important for medical school admissions. As if to add insult to injury, you can meet all the requirements and still not get a letter of support, as it is first-come-first-serve to get a comprehensive letter! Why would anyone not just do a more traditional post-bacc? Is their an advantage o HES that I am not seeing?

Because they don't ask for LORs and SAT scores from a 27 year old who hasn't been in college in 4 or 5 years. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a formal application process, and HES gave me that plus a record of being a reputable post-bacc option. To me it was win-win. Frankly, if I couldn't hack it at HES, I don't think I could've done it anywhere else either. Their classes aren't that hard. Certainly not as difficult as what you'd encounter in med school.

Also, a lot this can be avoided if people would actually follow the advice to talk with Dr. Fixsen about their chances and the challenges of the program/getting into med school. He's pretty straightforward and honest, and will straight up tell you if you have a decent shot or not. Another thing is that you don't need to get the committee letter from HES. If your alma mater has a pre-med committee that writes the letter, you can usually go through them and it's usually cheaper since you're an alumnus.

B is bad, considering that most student must be very smart.

B is actually not so bad considering anyone with $1200 or so can sign up off the street and go to class. TBH, I'm surprised it's that high. Also, the grading at HES for these courses is relatively benign compared to some of the other formal post-baccs in the region. Tufts (and I believe Columbia as well), for example, has a reputation for being a bit more cutthroat, although you will be a pretty solid candidate if you make it through. You have to realize that at this stage there aren't very many "benign" options available. Getting it done during undergrad is probably the most benign option available.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All, I posted several months back (in the "newbie" section) about where I'm at, so hello again. I was going to go to UVM's postbac program, but after hearing about and getting into HES, I've basically changed my mind.

The main difference between UVM and HES that I see is that HES doesn't hold your hand as much through the admission to med school part- is this true? I'm fairly confident I'll be ok, but I get worried the extra support would be great. But I just can't spend 30,000 a year at UVM. Also I'm in an HES biology class (BIOS Eb) and it's excellent-

Which brings me to my next point. At the risk of sounding stupid, my grade in BIOS Eb is about a B, I have an A in the lab portion and got a C on the last test (only one so far). Does anyone have any study techniques they find particularly helpful? I've taken other biology courses a while back and scored very high, but I seemed to have lost my study skills and need to find them again.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much.

Hi everyone!
I was just accepted to the HCP for 2015 and wanted to know how difficult it is to obtain the classes you need every semester. Coming from a state university I always felt getting classes was either a hit or miss. I know that students in the HCP have priority registration before registration is open to all students, but I just wanted to know was everyone able to successfully enroll in all the classes that you needed? Thank you very much :)

Hi everyone!
I was just accepted to the HCP for 2015 and wanted to know how difficult it is to obtain the classes you need every semester. Coming from a state university I always felt getting classes was either a hit or miss. I know that students in the HCP have priority registration before registration is open to all students, but I just wanted to know was everyone able to successfully enroll in all the classes that you needed? Thank you very much :)

I never had any issues getting into the classes I needed, even when I didn't register the first day of class registration. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on taking general chemistry with biology my first semester at Harvard Extension in the Fall because I want to focus on physics in the summer. I was just wondering if anyone has taken chem+bio because it is suggested by Fixen to take chemistry with physics.

Also, in order to receive sponsorship from the program they tell you to consult them every term. Does this mean to simply check in with them every semester? I'm not too sure what to expect since i've heard it's an informal program. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on taking general chemistry with biology my first semester at Harvard Extension in the Fall because I want to focus on physics in the summer. I was just wondering if anyone has taken chem+bio because it is suggested by Fixen to take chemistry with physics.

Also, in order to receive sponsorship from the program they tell you to consult them every term. Does this mean to simply check in with them every semester? I'm not too sure what to expect since i've heard it's an informal program. Thanks in advance.

Hey There is a 2015 thread that might be more helpful. However, I took chem and bio last year and it was totally fine. I did not need to take Physics here, but it should be fine to take these two together and then Physics in the Summer. Most of my classmates in Chem were either in Bio or Physics, so its definitely manageable. As for the meetings. I've only met with an advisor once out of the two semesters I've had so far. If you're worried about it, you can just send an email to check in, but I don't think you need to meet every semester.

I was always curious about HES and whether they actually checked when applying if you owed money to another school? Does anyone know if they actually check or not?

I was always curious about HES and whether they actually checked when applying if you owed money to another school? Does anyone know if they actually check or not?

You know you just revived a thread from 2 years ago?

The answer to your question is no.